Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wimbledon 2016 *Warning Post #15*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭curiosity

RosyLily wrote: »
    I know, bloody ridiculous!! I was hoping to catch Mattek-Sands/Safarova yesterday but no, nothing!!:mad:There's been a few complaints directed at the BBC Sport and Red Button accounts on Twitter. Whether they'll listen and fix the issue remains to be seen. I like having options.:)

Managed to add them on Sky. System setup, add channels

Frequency 12.422
    Polarisation H
    Symbol Rate 27.5
    FEC 2/3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Thanks a mill! I'll give that a go later.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Red Button working fine here.

Is Dani Vallverdu on Team Delpo now? Could have sworn it was him courtside. Speaking of JM, he'll play Stan in the next round! Could be a good one. Dustin Brown vs. Nick Kyrgios in R2 could be interesting.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

curiosity wrote: »
    Managed to add them on Sky. System setup, add channels

Frequency 12.422
    Polarisation H
    Symbol Rate 27.5
    FEC 2/3

Worked a treat, fantastic, thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭curiosity

Worked a treat, fantastic, thanks!

Good to know:). Shame the rain came along to nobble things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭PressRun

Some big hitting from the two women on centre right now. Coco Vandewegh just that bit more accurate at the moment.

Brilliant second set in this Bondarenko/Vandewegh match.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Sono

Isner v Bagdhatis could be the one to watch today,

Dimitrov v Simon on court 1 could be a belter also, here's hoping!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

Sue Barker sounds like she may have had a glass of champagne with her strawberries - she cannot stop laughing :)

• Advertisement

Hunchback wrote: »
    Sue Barker sounds like she may have had a glass of champagne with her strawberries - she cannot stop laughing :)

Must be the Pimms!:P

Willis looks ridiculously happy!! Never seen a player smiling when they're warming up.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Glad Federer is winning so easily, such an overhyped match, too much laughing which said it was not being taken seriously before it started.
    6-0 first set to Federer.

This probably has all the intensity of a training session for Federer. Still, it's a clearly a massive moment for Willis. For a guy who hasn't had the most illustrious of tennis careers and was on the verge of giving it up, it's not a bad story to be able to say you played Roger Federer on centre court at Wimbledon and got a few grand for your trouble. Nice to see him enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭CFlat

He's starting to find his feet. He has a powerful serve.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Glad Federer is winning so easily, such an overhyped match, too much laughing which said it was not being taken seriously before it started.
    6-0 first set to Federer.

I wouldn't say it was overhyped, everyone knew Marcus had no chance, it was just over-excitement. Big moment for Willis. He played Roger Federer on Centre Court in a RF shirt.

Still lots of R2 matches left. Hopefully rain clears up for the rest of the week. I think men's doubles matches will be best of 3 to save time. Not sure if it's just first round or more though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

15 R1 matches still to play tomorrow so play beginning at 11am on outside courts. The schedule has really been thrown off by the rain. The middle Sunday might be needed if there's more over the next few days.

Bencic has just beaten Pironkova and has shown how impressive she can be on grass. Two great grass players who produced some cracking tennis.

Have to say, I loved the Willis story. Was all set to quit and go to America to coach but decided to enter qualifying, got through 6 rounds and ended up playing Roger Federer on Centre Court! He acquitted himself well I thought and threw in some nice shots but there was never much trouble for Federer. Still, he clearly enjoyed the occasion, has a bit of personality and will hopefully inspire some of the lower ranked players. When you're ranked 772 in the world, it can be pretty soul-destroying and financially unsustainable to play Challenger and Futures events with all the expenses and very little prize money on offer. His £50k prize money from Wimbledon is a nice boost which should hopefully allow him to continue his career.
    ah jesus he hasn't has he ??

I thought he'd leave it out for a British Player ranked 177 in the world on his day on center court.

I do like Djokovic, but he really really tries too hard to be popular.

Agree with this. Cringed a little bit seeing Djokovic trying to make the hand raise a thing. I like him too but the PR offensive has gotten a bit much. The dancing & impressions at the Australian Open, messing around with the ball kids at Roland Garros etc. is fun but it does seem like he's trying really hard to get people to like him. He may well overtake Roger in Grand Slams but I'm not sure he'll ever achieve the popularity or legendary status of him or Rafa.

All eyes tomorrow on Delpo/Stan! My two favourite players meeting at Wimbledon- the perfect tennis scenario for me! Wish it was a QF but think it could be a special match. Great to see Delpo back and playing well. He did this interview a few days ago which is well worth a read: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/06/24/three-years-later-juan-martin-del-potro-returns-to-wimbledon-almost-feeling-100-percent/ (It confirms that Dani Vallverdu is on his coaching team for this week- they're trying it out and will see how it goes).

smurfs5 wrote: »
    Agree with this. Cringed a little bit seeing Djokovic trying to make the hand raise a thing. I like him too but the PR offensive has gotten a bit much. The dancing & impressions at the Australian Open, messing around with the ball kids at Roland Garros etc. is fun but it does seem like he's trying really hard to get people to like him. He may well overtake Roger in Grand Slams but I'm not sure he'll ever achieve the popularity or legendary status of him or Rafa.

I read an article last year after Wimbledon that questioned why Djokovic doesn't seem to inspire the same fandom that Roger and Rafa do, especially given he's potentially going to be more successful than both of them. I believe it's partly down to his personality. He's just not as likable as the other two and the fact that he tries so hard to be likeable just makes it worse as he then comes off as somewhat false. I'm sure he's a perfectly pleasant individual, but when you try to hammer it home, I think it ends up coming off the opposite of how you intended. That coupled with the fact that I just don't think his style of play, while incredibly efficient and effective, is as thrilling to watch as Federer or Nadal at their best. The Federer/Nadal rivalry has produced some unbelievable spectacles that even the most casual of fans could get into. I don't know too many casual fans who would think as fondly of Djokovic as they do of Roger and Rafa.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Is the Wawrinka/Delpo match on today? Can't check for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

PressRun wrote: »
    I read an article last year after Wimbledon that questioned why Djokovic doesn't seem to inspire the same fandom that Roger and Rafa do, especially given he's potentially going to be more successful than both of them. I believe it's partly down to his personality. He's just not as likable as the other two and the fact that he tries so hard to be likeable just makes it worse as he then comes off as somewhat false. I'm sure he's a perfectly pleasant individual, but when you try to hammer it home, I think it ends up coming off the opposite of how you intended. That coupled with the fact that I just don't think his style of play, while incredibly efficient and effective, is as thrilling to watch as Federer or Nadal at their best. The Federer/Nadal rivalry has produced some unbelievable spectacles that even the most casual of fans could get into. I don't know too many casual fans who would think as fondly of Djokovic as they do of Roger and Rafa.

Don't like to admit it, but it's true.

I mean the 2008 Wimbledon final ! - You would never see that with Murray Djokovic ..

Was anyone watching the Bencic match? Why the retirement? I thought she looked in great form against Pironkova yesterday.:confused:

Doesn't look like Stan-Delpo is on today. Maybe tomorrow. Hopefully it's on Centre....that'll draw a good crowd!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,787 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

What happened with Trioki? Was giving the umpire an earful

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

paulie21 wrote: »
    What happened with Trioki? Was giving the umpire an earful

• Registered Users Posts: 12,000 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

That was shambolic from Muguruzu today, absolutely rotten performance.

I seen the Troicki rant, not sure either what caused it, but as Troicki is a twat. I am team umpire.:pac:

I seen the Troicki incident. Serve was called in by umpire. Vik thought it looked out so ran to grab the ball from the kid and said that there was "no white" on it so the serve should have been out. Umpire stood by his call so MP to Ramos-Vinolas. Viktor hits the next serve past the baseline so RV wins. Continued to rant at the umpire at the end, calling him the, "worst umpire ever" among other things.

It was a old school McEnroe style rant.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,527 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Been looking forward to the konta bouchard match.

16 seeds gone today and radwanska in trouble

Floppybits wrote: »
    16 seeds gone today and radwanska in trouble

Radwanska 5-3 down serving to stay in the match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

Seeds going out all over the place today. Bottom half of women's draw looks wide open. Venus or Lisicki are likely semi-finalists IMO and perhaps Halep/ Keys/ Kerber from top of bottom half for the other SF spot.

smurfs5 wrote: »
    Seeds going out all over the place today. Bottom half of women's draw looks wide open. Venus or Lisicki are likely semi-finalists IMO and perhaps Halep/ Keys/ Kerber from top of bottom half for the other SF spot.

Could be a good shout there. One of those players who's kind of a wildcard (especially given how awful she's played) but on her day can beat anyone.

Radwanska broke back to level it at 5-all.

• Advertisement

RosyLily wrote: »
    Could be a good shout there. One of those players who's kind of a wildcard (especially given how awful she's played) but on her day can beat anyone.

Radwanska broke back to level it at 5-all.

From what stousr said after the match that lisicki servre was unstoppable today. Its pity lisicki can't play like that in the other tournaments.

Advertisement