Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wimbledon 2016 *Warning Post #15*

Options
  • 20-06-2016 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,529 ✭✭✭

Oh yes folks it is nearly that time of year again. :) Qualifying starts today, I don't see James McGee listed, is he injured?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

The draw is a bit of a joke , Murray has basically 6 walk overs into the final ..

All the decent players are in Djokovics half.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Sono

Heading over to it but have to collect tickets on the day, anyone able to advise how much time I should leave as play doesn't start until 1pm, weather looks to be horrendous as well, looking forward to the comp though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Sono wrote: »
    Heading over to it but have to collect tickets on the day, anyone able to advise how much time I should leave as play doesn't start until 1pm, weather looks to be horrendous as well, looking forward to the comp though.

Gates open at 9.30 so you can collect tickets from then. How much time you leave all depends on whether you want to wander around, see some matches on outside courts, get something to eat etc.

Didn't realise you could wander around other courts that's handy to know, will probably aim for around 10am so, thanks for your reply

Didn't realise you could wander around other courts that's handy to know, will probably aim for around 10am so, thanks for your reply

Oh yeah! If you have a ticket for Centre you don't have to stay there for the whole day. Court 4-19 (and some seats on 3) are open for all ticket holders. It's nice to wander around and soak up the atmosphere. And the sausage rolls at the bakery stand by Court 2 are delish!!! (At least they were last year!:))

Enjoy your day!!

• Advertisement

RosyLily wrote: »
    Oh yeah! If you have a ticket for Centre you don't have to stay there for the whole day. Court 4-19 (and some seats on 3) are open for all ticket holders. It's nice to wander around and soak up the atmosphere. And the sausage rolls at the bakery stand by Court 2 are delish!!! (At least they were last year!:))

Enjoy your day!!

Thanks brilliant to know, it's so hard to find out info on their website, bring it on!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Anyone else feel totally... not ready for Wimbledon? Euro 2016 has left me feeling totally out of the loop.

Anyway, here's to hoping it'll be a good tournament. I'm rooting for anyone but Djokovic on the men's side, and on the women's I think I'd actually like Serena to take it, just to remind everyone she's still the boss.

Order of play for tomorrow:
    https://twitter.com/WTA_insider/status/747024165358739456

Anyone else feel totally... not ready for Wimbledon? Euro 2016 has left me feeling totally out of the loop.

Anyway, here's to hoping it'll be a good tournament. I'm rooting for anyone but Djokovic on the men's side, and on the women's I think I'd actually like Serena to take it, just to remind everyone she's still the boss.

Order of play for tomorrow:
    https://twitter.com/WTA_insider/status/747024165358739456

Totally not ready? What do you have to do other than sit down and enjoy the wonderful spectacle that is greatest tennis comp in the calendar year. Euros have been a damp squib so far anyway so hopefully this is a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

The draw is a bit of a joke , Murray has basically 6 walk overs into the final ..

Wimbledon are absolutely shameless. It really leaves a sour taste in the mouth and spoils the enjoyment of the tournament seeing such a blatantly rigged draw, really the same as last year, to give Murray the best chance of taking the title.

Football, Athletics, cricket, cycling and tennis.

Doping, match fixing and the draws. Is there any sport left in the world that is not rife with corruption?

P.S. http://www.playthegame.org/fileadmin/image/knowledgebank/Tennisdraws_Katarina_Pijetlovic.pdf
    CONCLUSION: The probability that the two incredible coincidences (i.e., hand‐draws of seeded players at the three Grand Slams, and the computer generated draws of unseeded players at the US Open) might happen simultaneously is 1 in ca. 32 BILLIONS. These figures are a strong indicator of fixing and merit detailed investigation.

Kyrgios
    Gasquet
    Wawrinka

Hardly fixed is it, it's a good draw but it's definitely not easy like some are making out here.

• Advertisement

Memnoch wrote: »
    Wimbledon are absolutely shameless. It really leaves a sour taste in the mouth and spoils the enjoyment of the tournament seeing such a blatantly rigged draw, really the same as last year, to give Murray the best chance of taking the title.

Doping, match fixing and the draws. Is there any sport left in the world that is not rife with corruption?

P.S. http://www.playthegame.org/fileadmin/image/knowledgebank/Tennisdraws_Katarina_Pijetlovic.pdf

Will make it all the sweeter if Djokovic does win it ..

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭curiosity

Best part about it, imo. If you're able to, you could go the evening before as well, they let people into the grounds after 5 or 6 pm for about a tenner. You would still have a few hours of tennis, and a chance to get your bearings for the next day. Enjoy it. :)

curiosity wrote: »
    Best part about it, imo. If you're able to, you could go the evening before as well, they let people into the grounds after 5 or 6 pm for about a tenner. You would still have a few hours of tennis, and a chance to get your bearings for the next day. Enjoy it. :)

That's great to know too, really looking forward to heading to it now, it's a balls not knowing who we will get to see but I'm sure it will be great regardless!

Nipping this in the bud now.

Any more mention of the draw being rigged, fixed or in favour of a player will result in a warning for the poster. They will also be asked not to post in this thread for the duration of Wimbledon. This issue has been brought up constantly this year and enough's enough.

Nipping this in the bud now.

Any more mention of the draw being rigged, fixed or in favour of a player will result in a warning for the poster. They will also be asked not to post in this thread for the duration of Wimbledon. This issue has been brought up constantly this year and enough's enough.

Was there really a need for this? Seriously?

It's people's opinion that it's fixed, hardly upsetting is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭curiosity

The draw is fine, imo.

Anyway, is the Red Button working for anyone? I can see all the streamed courts online, but it'd be good to get Ana on the telly.:)

Ward doing well against Djokovic in the second set.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Had really been hoping that the Djokovic celebration was just for RG but he's brought it to Wimbledon:(

_Bella_ wrote: »
    Had really been hoping that the Djokovic celebration was just for RG but he's brought it to Wimbledon:(
    ah jesus he hasn't has he ??

I thought he'd leave it out for a British Player ranked 177 in the world on his day on center court.

I do like Djokovic, but he really really tries too hard to be popular.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Oh dear Ivanovic. Methinks her mind is more so on her upcoming nuptials.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know what the queues are like in the early rounds for collecting tickets? Presume I don't have to queue with all the people who are just hopeful of tickets? Don't fancy standing in a queue for hours when we get there! Cheers

Does anyone know what the queues are like in the early rounds for collecting tickets? Presume I don't have to queue with all the people who are just hopeful of tickets? Don't fancy standing in a queue for hours when we get there! Cheers

For collecting tickets I don't think there's much of a queue. I got them one year and had to go to Gate 4 ( I think), show them the e-mail from Wimbledon saying I was collecting tickets then go to the office. Was queuing there for maybe 10 mins. They seemed to have a good few people there getting everyone sorted.

For collecting tickets I don't think there's much of a queue. I got them one year and had to go to Gate 4 ( I think), show them the e-mail from Wimbledon saying I was collecting tickets then go to the office. Was queuing there for maybe 10 mins. They seemed to have a good few people there getting everyone sorted.

Thanks for this, one last question do I really need to bring a bill with my address on it? Have recently moved house and don't have any bills from original application. No more questions after this I promise.

Thanks for this, one last question do I really need to bring a bill with my address on it? Have recently moved house and don't have any bills from original application. No more questions after this I promise.

I remember bringing a bank statement with me but they never asked for it. That could be changed though this year with heightened security and the like. Ask as many questions as you like!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Anyone else queueing this year ;) ?

Memnoch wrote: »

Bit early in the tournament for this kind of tripe, no? I mean there's lot of crap posted in here during Wimbledon but this is just :rolleyes:

Have to laugh at the fact that we didn't even make it to 2pm on the first day before a mod warning was rolled out :pac:
    Totally not ready? What do you have to do other than sit down and enjoy the wonderful spectacIle that is greatest tennis comp in the calendar year. Euros have been a damp squib so far anyway so hopefully this is a lot better.

It just feels like it's come upon us extremely quickly, that's all. And I've really enjoyed the Euro's :)

Regarding your ticket enquiries, from my experience if you've got pre-purchased tickets there's barely any queuing. Went in 2014 on the first Tuesday, got on the tube at Paddington at 9.30am and was inside the grounds with my tickets got for 10.20pm, so it's all really quick. If you're aiming to be there for the 1pm start though it could take longer as it's obviously busier. My advice would be to go as early as possible, you'll have a terrific time just milling about the place and taking in the atmosphere, as well as being able to watch the matches on the outside courts as previously mentioned to you. And then you can head to the show courts to watch the big matches! You'll have a terrific day, enjoy :)

I see pretty much everything went to form today. Ana losing early inspires nothing more than an eye-roll these days. After she gets married I really think she needs to sit down and ask herself if this is really what he wants to do any more. She's obviously not on the young side of the game, but the game is getting older, and I still believe that she's got something left to give. Entirely up to her I guess.

Potential for fun matches tomorrow. Woz-Kutnetsova could be great, Fritz-Wawrinka could be interesting too. I wouldn't even rule out Cirstea taking out Kvitova, if Jankovic can do it anyone can :eek:

Fritz-Wawrinka is the one to watch.

Fritz is the future of the game.

So great having the red button with such extensive viewing options....of course when the red button actually works that is. Has been out of order both today and yesterday :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

So great having the red button with such extensive viewing options....of course when the red button actually works that is. Has been out of order both today and yesterday :rolleyes:

I know, bloody ridiculous!! I was hoping to catch Mattek-Sands/Safarova yesterday but no, nothing!!:mad:There's been a few complaints directed at the BBC Sport and Red Button accounts on Twitter. Whether they'll listen and fix the issue remains to be seen. I like having options.:)

Advertisement