Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf at the Olympics

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

This is becoming farcical. I wonder will athletes in other sports begin following suit.

Maybe it would be best to postpone the games for a year.

For what reason and how? Until Brazil has sweat Zika out of it's system or for other reasons? I doubt you'll get the same extent of withdrawal of participants from other sports bar maybe tennis and other sports with big earners.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Hercule

This is becoming farcical. I wonder will athletes in other sports begin following suit.

for the vast majority of Olympians the games are the absolute pinnacle of their chosen sport, the ultimate test - for golfers it's a little prestige and a nice trip to brazil representing your country, your entire life's work wouldn't be deemed a success or failure by your performance in the olympics - I can't see a track and field athlete giving up their potentially once in a lifetime chance at competing at the games while they are at their peak so lightly - In fact I'd presume that they would go to extreme lengths to ensure they competed.

I would expect a few more withdrawals in sports where the olympics aren't as significant (soccer is one that comes to mind)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Seamus Power, come on down!

What ranking does he have to achieve to qualify? Looks like it'll be just Harrington on his own with McGinley managing him :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

What ranking does he have to achieve to qualify? Looks like it'll be just Harrington on his own with McGinley managing him :pac:

It doesn't matter what the ranking is.

The top 15 players in the rankings are automatically eligible with a limit of four players from a given country. Beyond the top 15, players will be eligible based on the world rankings, with a maximum of two eligible players from each country that does not already have two or more players among the top 15.

I think they're limiting to a field of 60 though so not sure how they have a cut off.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

The thing about golfers is that they have a pretty long career, so missing out on the Olympics this time round is not as serious as it would be in other sports - chances are they'll be picket to play next time round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭Speak Now

vienne86 wrote: »
    The thing about golfers is that they have a pretty long career, so missing out on the Olympics this time round is not as serious as it would be in other sports - chances are they'll be picket to play next time round.

4 years is a long time though even for golfers, no one guaranteed anything with the current criteria. Soutb Korean women fighting tooth and nail to be there, 2 of the world's top 15 can't make it for them.
    Its a pity, Lowry and Padraig my preferred options from the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Pretty good summation of the whole thing in GolfWeek.....

.....and it's a very good point, no golfer grows up hoping to lift an Olympic gold, they grow up hoping to slip on a Green Jacket or pick up a rather ugly jug (preferably in front of the clubhouse at St Andrews ;) ).....
    There are so many ripple effects and peripheral stories to what is happening to the Olympic golf movement on the men’s side. The threat of Zika in wintertime, which it will be in Rio de Janeiro this August, is diminished, yes, but it still exists. There are several precautions to take with sprays and shots and types of clothing, but no 100-percent guarantees on one’s health, is there? Brazilians live with the threat because in many cases they have to. These golfers don’t have to take the chance. Most all of the players dropping out either have young families or plan to start them soon.

Do you make a wager on one week of golf – be it the Olympics or not – versus the next five or six decades of your life?

And then there is this: Is Zika the easiest way for a player to exit? Sure. In reality, you have to think players who are heading to Rio have more concerns than a mosquito-borne virus. The Brazilian government is in shambles, and there is question whether there will be adequate funding for such necessities as security. The Olympics have created a condensed summer schedule, and there are several reasons (British Open, PGA, FedEx Cup playoffs, Ryder Cup) to stay fresh.

Plus, there is this reality that is difficult for some to swallow: for many male golfers, depending on where one is from, the Olympics might be the fifth- or sixth-biggest event of the season, behind four majors and the Ryder Cup. In a few decades we may all come to view it very differently, but we are not there yet.

So it’s not a matter of players being selfish, or not loving their countries, or not doing something for the sheer good of the game, or even failing to wrap their arms around a concept with which they never grew up: chasing Olympic gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

It's embarrassing from the golfers that are withdrawing. Especially our 3. WHO have said the risk is minimal as it's winter time there in August. I'm especially disappointed with Lowry. Under the thumb already obviously.

finbarrk wrote: »
    It's embarrassing from the golfers that are withdrawing. Especially our 3. WHO have said the risk is minimal as it's winter time there in August. I'm especially disappointed with Lowry. Under the thumb already obviously.

Such horseshi*te. It might be minimised because it's winter but it's still a risk so making a decision that considered himself and his wife is hardly representative of being 'under the thumb'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Such horseshi*te. It might be minimised because it's winter but it's still a risk so making a decision that considered himself and his wife is hardly representative of being 'under the thumb'.

It is only male golfers who have pulled out of Rio over Zika. That's some mighty coincidence. The only "horsesh*te" around here is the fact that people actually believe the Zika excuses. Their withdrawals have nothing to do with Zika. It's almost certainly down to sponsorship reasons, lack of prize money, lack of motivation and interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Should this be not enough to consider it relatively safe?
    http://www.bmj.com/content/353/bmj.i3233

Chivito550 wrote: »
    It is only male golfers who have pulled out of Rio over Zika. That's some mighty coincidence. The only "horsesh*te" around here is the fact that people actually believe the Zika excuses. Their withdrawals have nothing to do with Zika. It's almost certainly down to sponsorship reasons, lack of prize money, lack of motivation and interest.

There have been more than two golfers that have withdrawn because of it and more than just golfers. Does the fact that the Olympics is down the list of career goals have a role in it? Most likely.

Lowry has said he would love to play, would love to walk out with the athletes under the Irish flag...but he couldn't dismiss the threat out of hand so would seek advice.

It's the pinnacle for track and field and few of them have pulled out but Greg Rutherford still went and had his sperm frozen.

Of course it's a concern.Is it everyone's main reason for pulling out? Probably not. But you're suggesting it's unlikely to be a reason and I don't think that's the case.

finbarrk wrote: »
    Should this be not enough to consider it relatively safe?
    http://www.bmj.com/content/353/bmj.i3233

Wow.....

......now if only it wasn't a disease that can be carried asymptomatically.....and if only it wasn't a disease into which research into its persistency in male bodily fluids wasn't at such an early stage ;) (current thinking is 6 weeks, but that's not universally agreed).

Really, you are asking people to take a chance on a disease about which very little is known in respect of it's long term and chronic persistence and health effects, and for what? I don't doubt the data and simulations are correct, but they are based on what we know now - which in terms of Zika is not a whole lot.

As the Deputy Director of the CDC has said.....
    “In six months, we have learned a tremendous amount, some of it not reassuring,” she said. “We have worked really hard to do what we can with it, but at almost every turn, we see more complexity.”

Many questions remain about Zika’s long-term effects and how to roll-out the right public health response. Because of the inherent complexity of the situation, “We need mosquito experts, virus experts, lab experts, birth defects experts, pregnancy experts, communications experts, logisticians,” she said.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Braken

Total cop out from the golfers,the Zika virus is not just confined to Brazil it has spread to most of the Caribbean regions including Barbados where a certain golfer was on holidays recently..the southern states of America could very well be in the zone next year..will there be many withdrawals if the Zika happens to hit Augusta??

Braken wrote: »
    Total cop out from the golfers,the Zika virus is not just confined to Brazil it has spread to most of the Caribbean regions including Barbados where a certain golfer was on holidays recently..the southern states of America could very well be in the zone next year..will there be many withdrawals if the Zika happens to hit Augusta??

How many warnings, prior to the last week or two, did you hear about Zika in regions other than Brazil?

I'd be surprised if more than a handful people knew before the last week or so when experts were on the radio (some chap was on George Hook last week mentioning McIlroy going to Barbados and everyone seems to be latching onto that now).

Everyone in the world knew about the threat of Zika in Brazil.

Braken wrote: »

I think if you read up on it, you'll find that one of the complicating factors in Brazil is the socio-economic conditions. They accelerate or amplify the spread. If you're on hols, lolling by the pool, staying in a hotel then your risk is greatly diminished - if you are out walking on a water-bounded golf course in close proximity to a densely populated area then your risk increases.

It's still extremely low, but balance risk with hazard (not in the golfing sense :)) and that's the calculus - the hazard in this case is infecting your partner and fathering a child that suffers from microcephaly and/or blindness - and they are just the potential acute effects. No one knows what potential chronic effects may be associated with children born of infected parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

Jawgap wrote: »
    I think if you read up on it, you'll find that one of the complicating factors in Brazil is the socio-economic conditions. They accelerate or amplify the spread. If you're on hols, lolling by the pool, staying in a hotel then your risk is greatly diminished - if you are out walking on a water-bounded golf course in close proximity to a densely populated area then your risk increases.

It's still extremely low, but balance risk with hazard (not in the golfing sense :)) and that's the calculus - the hazard in this case is infecting your partner and fathering a child that suffers from microcephaly and/or blindness - and they are just the potential acute effects. No one knows what potential chronic effects may be associated with children born of infected parents.

Zero ladies have pulled out so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Jawgap wrote: »
    I think if you read up on it, you'll find that one of the complicating factors in Brazil is the socio-economic conditions. They accelerate or amplify the spread.

That the golf course was built on a swamp jutting out into a lagoon may also be a factor in the worry which will not affect athletes (I use the term lightly) who do their thing in a stadium or hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Domo1982

The over protection of the irish golfers on this forum is getting a little pathetic.

They should be open to fair and reasonable discussion like all other golfers on the PGA and European tour.

Any kind of criticism(Fair or not) of the Irish players seems to be jumped on by the usual clique on here.

Shame that other/all players are not protected in the same way(Tiger or Paul Lawrie for example)

just some feedback

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Domo1982 wrote: »
    The over protection of the irish golfers on this forum is getting a little pathetic.

They should be open to fair and reasonable discussion like all other golfers on the PGA and European tour.

Any kind of criticism(Fair or not) of the Irish players seems to be jumped on by the usual clique on here.

Shame that other/all players are not protected in the same way(Tiger or Paul Lawrie for example)

just some feedback
    Thanks for the feedback but this is not the thread for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

All these drop outs are creating big headlines around the world! Therefore golf at the Olympics is doing what it set out to do, creating a greater awareness of the sport.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

That the golf course was built on a swamp jutting out into a lagoon may also be a factor in the worry which will not affect athletes (I use the term lightly) who do their thing in a stadium or hall.

I would think rowers would be at a greater risk again but I haven't heard of any that have pulled out because of Zika. Nor have I heard any golfers cite the location of the golf course as a factor but I may be wrong on both counts. I am not saying Zika is a non issue but golfers were pulling out for other reasons, scheduling and other priorities before anyone shouted 'Zika'.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

I would think rowers would be at a greater risk again but I haven't heard of any that have pulled out because of Zika. Nor have I heard any golfers cite the location of the golf course as a factor but I may be wrong on both counts. I am not saying Zika is a non issue but golfers were pulling out for other reasons, scheduling and other priorities before anyone shouted 'Zika'.

Rowers etc etc are nowhere near as high profile as these superstar golfers, its unlikely it would be headlines anywhere but locally.

Rowers etc etc are nowhere near as high profile as these superstar golfers, its unlikely it would be headlines anywhere but locally.

I don't see the relevance of your point on the level of profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

I don't see the relevance of your point on the level of profile.

you said you haven't heard of any rowers etc pulling out, its unlikely you would have heard as their profiles wouldn't be anywhere near the golfers.

you said you haven't heard of any rowers etc pulling out, its unlikely you would have heard as their profiles wouldn't be anywhere near the golfers.

Well you don't know my knowledge of rowing no more than I know your knowledge of golf. However if there was a culture of rowers pulling out of the olympics because of Zika we would have certainly heard about it by now. I am sure there will be some fallouts from other sports but not to the same scale that is happening with golf.

The Olympics is the pinnacle for rowing.

It's not in golf.

The risk/reward is very different.

Whyner wrote: »

OK, lets go back to biology 101, or if you are of a certain vintage, New Programme Science, Chapter 9.

Women get pregnant - if a woman is pregnant and contracts Zika through a bite or through sex the baby can be adversely affected.

So as long as a female golfer isn't pregnant or doesn't fall pregnant shortly after returning from Brazil she's fine.......now if only there was a magic pill that allowed women to control their reproductive cycle, imagine the possibilities.....

If a guy becomes infected, he may or may not present symptoms and - pay attention this is the important bit - he may continue to shed the virus in his semen for several weeks / months after any infection has subsided. Thing is nobody is really sure how much virus he might shed and for how long because the diagnostic sensitivity of the current tests are pretty good but not great.

So if a guy comes back carrying the virus he can still infect his partner and father an Zika-affected kid.......the only guaranteed way for this risk not to be realised is to not get infected in the first place, or abstain from sex having returned from an affected area until such time as an effective test is available to give you the definitive all clear - and who knows when that might be.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

Whyner wrote: »

fnar

• Advertisement

The Olympics is the pinnacle for rowing.

It's not in golf.

The risk/reward is very different.

What is the pinnacle for Golf? Ryder Cup? Or can that question be answered?

There are many high level competitions in rowing including world Championships, European championships but yes the Olympics are probably the pinnacle for many sports that also have multiple other competitions.

Advertisement