Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf at the Olympics

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

You mean to say there are OWGR tournaments that have limited fields???, that's mad Ted, whatever next???.

I never knew that!! Really??? Wow!!!

(I think you'll find my 8 punctuation marks trump your 6)

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭paulos53

martinkop wrote: »
    They'd have to count. If it affects world ranking points, then it affects Ryder cup Qualification for Europe, and the criteria does not eliminate the olympics from counting.

Happens all the time. For the last Ryder Cup qualification Garcia won a tournament in Asia but he didn't get any points as the European Tour had another comp in Asia that week.

This year the Bridgestone Invitational (won last year by Lowry) won't count as it clashes with the French Open. In fact there are bonus points on offer at the French Open to lure players away from the World Championship event.

The Olympics is on August 11th-14th which is not in the valid dates at the bottom of the rankings page from the European Tour website: http://www.europeantour.com/rydercup/points/index.html
    (2) The Ryder Cup World Points List will comprise Official World Golf Ranking Points won by a Member1 from all OWGR tournaments in which he Participates, (unless otherwise stated below) that are scheduled to conclude as follows: -

(i) Between Thursday 3rd September 2015 and Sunday 7th August 2016.

(ii) On Sunday 21st August 2016.

(iii) ONLY from the Made in Denmark Tournament on Sunday 28th August 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

Ah, i see. Rule it out by dates rather than specify the Olympics. Clever sods!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭paulos53

paulos53 wrote: »

This year the Bridgestone Invitational (won last year by Lowry) won't count as it clashes with the French Open. In fact there are bonus points on offer at the French Open to lure players away from the World Championship event.

Straying away from the Olympics discussion but I see that McIlroy has decided to play the in the French Open instead of the World event. A bold move by the European Tour seems to be paying off.
    I wonder how many more will follow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Straying away from the Olympics discussion but I see that McIlroy has decided to play the in the French Open instead of the World event. A bold move by the European Tour seems to be paying off.
    I wonder how many more will follow?
    In some ways, it's directly related to the Olympics since the WGC Bridgestone Invitational was moved up a month to avoid clashing with the Olympics and landed smack bang on top of the French Open.

A bad bit of business by the PGA Tour and hopefully other European golfers will follow Rory's suit and play in the French Open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

In some ways, it's directly related to the Olympics since the WGC Bridgestone Invitational was moved up a month to avoid clashing with the Olympics and landed smack bang on top of the French Open.

A bad bit of business by the PGA Tour and hopefully other European golfers will follow Rory's suit and play in the French Open.

Its not sure to matter for Rory. But it will probably make a difference for golfers attempting to get on the Ryder Cup to play the French Open rather than the WGC. Which is a pity as they are both great events. Even Shane Lowry suggested as much that he may not even defend his title if he was on the bubble for Ryder Cup in an interview i heard a month or so ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

So going by this Schwartzel is out now as well. Fairly big blow for South Africa to have their two best players out.

https://twitter.com/garyplayer/status/724648760043790336

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Branden Grace getting no love from Player.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Is Player part of the SA Olympic set up or is he just giving his usual 200 cents? Surprised he didn't mention the sit ups.... never let an opportunity pass Gary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

I understand the scheduling argument.

Is simply showing up for the tournament on the 11th August going to be be frowned upon.
    Are you expected to attend the opening ceremony in full regalia on the 5th August, the closing ceremony on the 21st as part of your countries delegation? Do you have to stay in the Olympic Village for the duration of the games? Are you damned if you do commit by taking a 2 week sabbatical eschewing 2 weeks opportunity for prize money for what is essentially an exhibition or damned if you don't by having Gary Player criticize your lack of patriotism etc etc.

They're professionals. It reminds me of the time Tiger was asked during the WGC at Mount Juliet in 2002 about the following week's Ryder Cup. He was asked if he'd rather win this week or win the Ryder Cup. He said he'd much prefer a 'W' in the WGC. Perplexed, the journo asked why he wouldn't prefer to win the Cup for his Country. He flashed a shi+ eating grin and quipped;

"I can think of a MILLION reasons".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,011 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

PARlance wrote: »
    Is Player part of the SA Olympic set up or is he just giving his usual 200 cents? Surprised he didn't mention the sit ups.... never let an opportunity pass Gary.
    He seems to be. He mentions being in the opening ceremony, so he'd have to have an official role to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Player is their team captain, same role as McGinley with Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭Speak Now

There are world ranking points available at the Olympics but I believe that they won't count for Ryder Cup qualification
    martinkop wrote: »
    They'd have to count. If it affects world ranking points, then it affects Ryder cup Qualification for Europe, and the criteria does not eliminate the olympics from counting.

I haven't read anything about the OWGR situation, but it seems utterly daft that points would be up for grabs when many of the best golfers in the world won't be there because of the qualification system.

Based on the current OWGR standings, Brandt Snedeker (16), Zach Johnson (17), Phil Mickelson (19), Schwartzel (20), Paul Casey (24) and countless other top 30 players won't be playing in Rio, yet guys ranked as low as 400 could.
    The ranking points will reflect the strength of field as always though wont it? I dont imagine they'll be giving 100 pts to the winner as in the majors.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

Marc Leishman the latest to withdraw. You can understand his reason though after the year he has had.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/36210480

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭King_of_Kingz

Adam Scott is getting some stick back in Australia over it, at the end of the day it is the players decision if they feel they can fit it into their plans.

Technically they are representing their country every week on the course and golf already has its traditionally big events that they want to be a part of. Should not be such a big backlash about it in my view.
    https://sportshangout.wordpress.com/2016/05/05/adam-scott-defends-decision-to-skip-olympics-golf/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

the thing is, the Olympics is the pinnacle event for most sports. its what everyone wants to take part in, and what they want to win most of all.

except I would say football.......I would say its low key in the Olympics and would say most players would rather win a premier league, even an fa cup, euro champ, world cup

golf is kind of like football. a lot of more important stuff to compete for than the olympics

• Registered Users Posts: 18,220 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The golfer's themselves don't seem to think it is important enough!

Sports like Soccer, Tennis and Golf should not be in the Olympics they are professional and earn millions. They also get enough limelight as it is.

If it was amateur golfers only then I would not see any issues with it.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

A fan of golf, not a fan of it being at the Olympics but it should have been an opportunity for amateurs of the sport once it was included. You would certainly have seen far less dropping out. Read a decent article recently about professional boxers getting a green light to fight at the olympics, which I disagree with. Although it was a balanced article, in arguing against the decision, it cited examples of professional golfers such as Vijay dropping out because of scheduling. I think Zika has become very convenient for many of them and you'll see a few more follow suit in the coming weeks to a level you probably won't see in other sports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

• Advertisement

Jason Day out. Turning into a bit of a farce at this stage.

https://twitter.com/JDayGolf/status/747760977437876225

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

HighLine wrote: »
    Jason Day out. Turning into a bit of a farce at this stage.

https://twitter.com/JDayGolf/status/747760977437876225

Yep it's a joke alright.

What was the response from players when asked about the possibility of getting golf in the Olympics??

It's all set up for paddy to win gold anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Lowry out now.....wonder if all the Rory haters will take a different view now ?

They'll just start copying and pasting each others statements at this rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

alxmorgan wrote: »
    Lowry out now.....wonder if all the Rory haters will take a different view now ?

Lowry and McDowell probably could have done Rory a favour by ruling themselves out of consideration first.

alxmorgan wrote: »

Cue all the trolls crawling back under their rocks. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

This is becoming farcical. I wonder will athletes in other sports begin following suit.

Maybe it would be best to postpone the games for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I got the feeling Lowry wouldn't be playing by his column in The Irish Times a few weeks ago.

This is becoming farcical. I wonder will athletes in other sports begin following suit.

Maybe it would be best to postpone the games for a year.

There'll be a lot of parential leave next year by the sounds of things. Maybe best to leave it 2 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Seamus Power, come on down!

Advertisement