Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! Physics HL LC '16 - Predictions, guesses, discussion, etc.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭adam240610

any one get seven images for that light question?
    The niagara falls question was very interesting! Letting mph equal mc delta theta seemed insane but it worked.
    I was going for a b1 but think i got a b2.

That was how you got height, very weird indeed.

I got 3.39 so 3 images on mine, you had to work out D from lines per mm which I'd say most people probably had an error in it, did a question last night that was the same question backwards so was handy haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭DownOneTourist

adam240610 wrote: »
    That was how you got height, very weird indeed.

I got 3.39 so 3 images on mine, you had to work out D from lines per mm which I'd say most people probably had an error in it, did a question last night that was the same question backwards so was handy haha.
    I go 3.39 also. but only for one side. I multiplied that by 2 then added 1 because there is also an image in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Seaaan

I go 3.39 also. but only for one side. I multiplied that by 2 then added 1 because there is also an image in the middle.

I left it as n=3 but clearly stated that 3 on either side of zero order just to be safe.

As for Q1 my clockwise and anti clockwise moments balanced, with maybe .01 of a difference, was that right?

Seaaan wrote: »
    I left it as n=3 but clearly stated that 3 on either side of zero order just to be safe.

As for Q1 my clockwise and anti clockwise moments balanced, with maybe .01 of a difference, was that right?

q1 was bad for me!! and i'm counting it... I hate moments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 alaandocs

Mine was out .101 for the moments. I'd say I'm wrong but don't know yet. I didn't include the weight of the stick in that one , only the weights up and down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Seaaan

q1 was bad for me!! and i'm counting it... I hate moments

I practiced it a lot lately as it was due; got fairly lucky on wavelength one though because it was the first experiment I did in fifth year so I remember it well..

Q4 though, was that temperature vs resistance for a thin metallic conductor? (Glycerol and water bath) As in a straight line graph from a bit up on y axis? Was a sneaky little question..

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭TMJM96

In past exams they would accept 3, 6 or 7. So any of those would get full marks

I practiced it a lot lately as it was due; got fairly lucky on wavelength one though because it was the first experiment I did in fifth year so I remember it well..

Q4 though, was that temperature vs resistance for a thin metallic conductor? (Glycerol and water bath) As in a straight line graph from a bit up on y axis? Was a sneaky little question..

Yeah was a straight line, I used glycerol and a hot plate, same difference haha.
    It was a small slope though, but I can't imagine the slope affecting a rough sketch too much

n=3 is what I left it as, surprised it didn't come out as like 3.7 to catch people on rounding.

Yeah was a straight line, I used glycerol and a hot plate, same difference haha.
    It was a small slope though, but I can't imagine the slope affecting a rough sketch too much

n=3 is what I left it as, surprised it didn't come out as like 3.7 to catch people on rounding.

That's be an awfully nasty thing to do in a stressful exam tbh.

In an exam like the LC you'll get full marks for that, well you SHOULD. Depends on the marking scheme. Given that the majority of the cohort found the exam difficult you'll be grand.

Do papers usually go live at about 6pm?

TMJM96 wrote: »
    That's be an awfully nasty thing to do in a stressful exam tbh.

In an exam like the LC you'll get full marks for that, well you SHOULD. Depends on the marking scheme. Given that the majority of the cohort found the exam difficult you'll be grand.

Do papers usually go live at about 6pm?

Morning ones normally up a bit earlier.
    You won't, wouldn't in maths, and wouldn't here. Can't wait to open my envelope in august to see what I got haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Caoimh1997

Does anyone remember what they got for the velocity of the daughter nucleus roughly? For Q12a)

Morning ones normally up a bit earlier.
    You won't, wouldn't in maths, and wouldn't here. Can't wait to open my envelope in august to see what I got haha

I did the LC last year, I remember the marking schemes. They were usually very kind to people

In past exams they would accept 3, 6 or 7. So any of those would get full marks

What did you finish with if you don't mind me asking? If you don't want to say then it's ok

Caoimh1997 wrote: »
    Does anyone remember what they got for the velocity of the daughter nucleus roughly? For Q12a)

I can barely remember that question but O want to say it was in the region of 50000 m/s? No idea

alaandocs wrote: »
    What did you finish with if you don't mind me asking? If you don't want to say then it's ok

What grade did I get did you mean? I only got a B2 in the end, due to having a bad day. Got an A2 in the mocks if I recall correctly. Doing Physics in college and have gotten As in all my Physics modules in first year so, it gets better I guess :rolleyes:

I'd only accept 7 as the answer, as that's the right answer, if that's what you mean :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2 wick___

What a weird paper lol

• Registered Users Posts: 38 bookworm20

I got zero for the velocity of the daughter nuclei

What grade did I get did you mean? I only got a B2 in the end, due to having a bad day. Got an A2 in the mocks if I recall correctly. Doing Physics in college and have gotten As in all my Physics modules in first year so, it gets better I guess :rolleyes:

I'd only accept 7 as the answer, as that's the right answer, if that's what you mean :o

Fair play, you doing it in trinity or where?

bookworm20 wrote: »
    I got zero for the velocity of the daughter nuclei

Pretty sure that's impossible with conservation of momentum and all that

Fair play, you doing it in trinity or where?

Nope, UL! I did all the wrong subjects for the LC (mostly humanities, Physics was my only Science) so I didn't get as high points as I probably could have with the three lab sciences.

I'm not really a fan of Trinity anyway plus you don't get a B.Sci, you get a BA (nothing wrong with a BA, just if I'm doing Science I want a B.Sci!). This type of talk is for another type of thread. Don't want to derail ye!

• Advertisement

Whats was the maximum angular dispalcement for the pendulum? I got 5
    What distance above earths surface was the pendulum in q6? I got one thousand and something
    What isotope of actinium does radium-225 decay to?
    How would u produce coherent sources? I said the sun?? (idk)
    How did you find max and min tension in q12c?

Nope, UL! I did all the wrong subjects for the LC (mostly humanities, Physics was my only Science) so I didn't get as high points as I probably could have with the three lab sciences.

I'm not really a fan of Trinity anyway plus you don't get a B.Sci, you get a BA (nothing wrong with a BA, just if I'm doing Science I want a B.Sci!). This type of talk is for another type of thread. Don't want to derail ye!

True we better leave that there

Pretty sure that's impossible with conservation of momentum and all that

ur right, just figured it out thx

I was running out of time so I said the velocity of the daughter nucleus was the same as the velocity of the alpha particle from the first part, to conserve momentum but I'm probably wrong...

bookworm20 wrote: »
    Whats was the maximum angular dispalcement for the pendulum? I got 5
    What distance above earths surface was the pendulum in q6? I got one thousand and something
    What isotope of actinium does radium-225 decay to?
    How would u produce coherent sources? I said the sun?? (idk)
    How did you find max and min tension in q12c?

The isotope would be 225 actinium as its beta decay. 225Ra88=225Ac89+0e-1
    = are instead of the arrow

The isotope would be 225 actinium as its beta decay. 225Ra88=225Ac89+0e-1
    = are instead of the arrow

cool thats what i got too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭BrownTrout

bookworm20 wrote:
    Whats was the maximum angular dispalcement for the pendulum? I got 5 What distance above earths surface was the pendulum in q6? I got one thousand and something What isotope of actinium does radium-225 decay to? How would u produce coherent sources? I said the sun?? (idk) How did you find max and min tension in q12c?

Didn't do 6,

Actinium 225,

Coherent sources by putting the same gaseous element into two different discharge tubes (guess)

I got lead for an isotope somewhere in the paper

I think coherent light sources can be got by shining a monochromatic light source through young's slits, as it's a diffraction grating with two slits in it. Could be wrong but that's what I put

• Advertisement

Caoimh1997 wrote: »
    I think coherent light sources can be got by shining a monochromatic light source through young's slits, as it's a diffraction grating with two slits in it. Could be wrong but that's what I put

You're right with that. A division of wave front where wavefront is divided into two parts by reflection, refraction or diffraction and those two parts reunite at a small angle to produce interference as done in case of your Young's double slit experiment!

Advertisement