Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! Physics HL LC '16 - Predictions, guesses, discussion, etc.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

adam240610 wrote: »
    Watch game of thrones between them sure

Haven't watched Game of Thrones yet at all. Only thing I've really watched this year in terms of new stuff is House of Cards season 4 (did that though within 24 hours of it coming out though) and I watched all of House MD from around March to the beginning of May. None of those will help me tomorrow though.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭adam240610

Haven't watched Game of Thrones yet at all. Only thing I've really watched this year in terms of new stuff is House of Cards season 4 (did that though within 24 hours of it coming out though) and I watched all of House MD from around March to the beginning of May. None of those will help me tomorrow though.

Unless the SEC go particularly weird this year haha, house of cards was good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭DownOneTourist

I'm fully up to date on GOT and feel really guilty about it! I still have physics chemistry and app math

I'm fully up to date on GOT and feel really guilty about it! I still have physics chemistry and app math

I finished suits and house if cards last week.
    Have physics dcg economics and applied maths left haha

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭TooMuchWork

Don't know what to think of that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 alaandocs

I didn't think that was too bad at all. Sneaky the way they put the option in at Q12. (D) similar to the way chemistry has it. Tried the mechanics one but as couldn't go anywhere with it after the pendulum bit.
    That experiment about the diffraction grating was unexpected too.

Anyone else find it alright?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

alaandocs wrote: »
    I didn't think that was too bad at all. Sneaky the way they put the option in at Q12. (D) similar to the way chemistry has it. Tried the mechanics one but as couldn't go anywhere with it after the pendulum bit.
    That experiment about the diffraction grating was unexpected too.

Anyone else find it alright?

I thought it was fine! There were bits and pieces that were tough but overall no full questions or anything were bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭TooMuchWork

what did you all do? I did 12 ii and iii, 11, 10, 9 and 5. 1, 3 and 4 for the experiments.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Seaaan

Did 4 experiments, Q5, 7, 9, 10, 11 12 (a) (c) and (d)..

wasn't too bad, hopefully an A2, very unlikely to be an A1.. Must say I'm a bit disappointed with the absence of a full question on particle physics as it was my go to full mark question every year, bit unfair really. My coplanar forces (upwards and downwards) didn't equal each other and got a net of 1N downwards; odd..

Seaaan wrote: »

wasn't too bad, hopefully an A2, very unlikely to be an A1.. Must say I'm a bit disappointed with the absence of a full question on particle physics as it was my go to full mark question every year, bit unfair really. My coplanar forces (upwards and downwards) didn't equal each other and got a net of 1N downwards; odd..

Ya that's happened before dont worry. Although I got .1N downwards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Giotar

I thought that was actually really easy. All my classmates thought differently! As someone who normally struggled with Physics (especially electricity) I think I got at the VERY least a B1 there. Dodged every electricity question!

Ya that's happened before dont worry. Although I got .1N downwards

Meant to say .1, my bad!

I did 1-12 a,b,c and d. Answered every question. Was a lovely paper but not many in my class liked it in the slightest. A1 for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Plankton55

There was a full question on particle physics you absend minded fool it was question 9

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Edrees98

That was a weird exam. Experiments were easy but long questions were for once LONG. They took me a while to complete especially 12(a).
    I did question 5,6,9,10 and 12. I hope I get an A1 but it seems a bit unlikely. BELL CURVE, I NEED YOUR HELP!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ruairibrady

Anyone remember their values for their volume of fluid and temperature change in the fridge?

Anyone remember their values for their volume of fluid and temperature change in the fridge?

I think my temperature change was the high teens around there. Could be wrong.

I think my temperature change was the high teens around there. Could be wrong.

I got about sixteen

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Giotar

I got about sixteen

Yeah was 16 point something

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Plankton55

Edrees98 wrote: »
    Hahaha if thats what you believe, you definitely did very bad my friend.

That was a weird exam. Experiments were easy but long questions were for once LONG. They took me a while to complete especially 12(a).
    I did question 5,6,9,10 and 12. I hope I get an A1 but it seems a bit unlikely. BELL CURVE, I NEED YOUR HELP!!!!
    There was a full question on radioactivity which is particle physics and I believe I did very well in the exam thank you very much

• Advertisement

Plankton55 wrote: »
    There was a full question on radioactivity which is particle physics and I believe I did very well in the exam thank you very much

No it's not. Particle physics is the option. Radioactivity is not. How about you know what you're talking about before calling others "absent minded fools"?

I got about sixteen

Ya was 16. Something , glad to know i wasn't the only one who got it lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭WorthlessPeon

Feel a bit done by the lack of a full particle physics questions. May seem insignificant to some but it probably cost me my A and potentially my first course.

I, for one, am shocked by how not high Niagara is.

I, for one, am shocked by how not high Niagara is.

When you would think its like 100+ metres high and it's only half it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

My take on it:

Experiments were designed to be "different" - they tried to catch us off guard with the wavelength chit. Very easy though.
    The moments q was deceptively simple. Made the mistake of taking monents about 50cm but then corrected it. Still couldn't clockwise and anticlockwise to balance, I said it was "roughly equal. I think maybe it was 1.25 x bigger which is also 50cm/40cm, so maybe they wanted us to point that out. Who knows????

Absence of choice on question 10 was a d*** move on their part.

Mechanics question sucked this year, way too abstract in a time pressure situation like that.
    Q5, 7, 9,11 and 12 were beautiful.

I'd say I got an A1 or an A2, hoping for the former. All in all not a bad test at all. Oh and I got 16.something for temperature as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭TMJM96

TSMGUY wrote: »
    My take on it:

Experiments were designed to be "different" - they tried to catch us off guard with the wavelength chit. Very easy though.
    The moments q was deceptively simple. Made the mistake of taking monents about 50cm but then corrected it. Still couldn't clockwise and anticlockwise to balance, I said it was "roughly equal. I think maybe it was 1.25 x bigger which is also 50cm/40cm, so maybe they wanted us to point that out. Who knows????

Absence of choice on question 10 was a d*** move on their part.

Mechanics question sucked this year, way too abstract in a time pressure situation like that.
    Q5, 7, 9,11 and 12 were beautiful.

I'd say I got an A1 or an A2, hoping for the former. All in all not a bad test at all. Oh and I got 16.something for temperature as well.

I thought Q10 was SUPPOSED to have a a choice, a or b? Anyone know when the paper will be online, would love to have a look at it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3 themadscone

So i didnt bother studying the wavelength experiment (since there was no chance of it coming up, lol) and ended up doing it so i was bit rusty, forgot to talk about the collimator/turntable in the diagram, instead i drew a laser at right angle to the grating shining onto a screen and labelled the fringes, reckon i'll get marks for that? Just a less practical way of doing the experiment i guess, it was worth 15 marks so im a bit worried :(

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Imaginary Friend

Hated the paper :( Very disappointed since I absolutely love Physics to pieces and wanted an A1. Did Q1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 11, 12 (a) and (b) and started the resistors one but ran out of time, which was so weird because I always had loads of extra time in the past.

Found Section A quite easy, which is unusual for me, and then sadly didn't have any full questions in Section B I could be confident of 100% in. Got the temperature drop at the end of Q7 very wrong but at least I got the height of Niagara falls... I was thrown by how unfriendly the paper was.

Hoping I still got an A. Don't know though :/

(It's the ones we love that betray us)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭DownOneTourist

any one get seven images for that light question?
    The niagara falls question was very interesting! Letting mph equal mc delta theta seemed insane but it worked.
    I was going for a b1 but think i got a b2.

Advertisement