Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! Physics HL LC '16 - Predictions, guesses, discussion, etc.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭TomDelahunt

The electricity questions around the variation of current with potential difference of a metallic conductor is based around Ohms's law i think? 2013 had this as Q4 its ploting v to I with R being a constant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

chitting bricks for physics.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭TooMuchWork

TSMGUY wrote: »
    chitting bricks for physics.

I've disregarded it for the past two weeks so I could deal with other exams and it feels like I'm starting from day 1.

I've disregarded it for the past two weeks so I could deal with other exams and it feels like I'm starting from day 1.
    lol this!

Looking at mechanics like "what's gravity?????"

Seriously in trouble, and I have to study econ. The questions in the book are too easy, the exam questions are so much more abstract.

lol this!

Looking at mechanics like "what's gravity?????"

Seriously in trouble, and I have to study econ. The questions in the book are too easy, the exam questions are so much more abstract.

Me too! Haven't looked at that since the last time I studied physics, and I only started it in March! Hoping elasticity, oligopoly/perfect comp, labour/land come up, otherwise I'll be waffling a few Macro questions.

Doesn't help I'm working this weekend!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

Am I the only one who opens up my notes and can recall most of it having not looked at it in weeks? Physics was an amazing subject the past two years. Really helped that our teacher seemed pretty interested in it himself and he'd try and get us to do every experiment ourselves/in groups to help us remember them.

Am I the only one who opens up my notes and can recall most of it having not looked at it in weeks?
    Yes, yes you are :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Jdoe

Is it possible to leave out electricity and just know enough to answer q5 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 alaandocs

Jdoe wrote: »
    Is it possible to leave out electricity and just know enough to answer q5 ?

It's risky. Either a definition, small calculation or a concept question would be asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Jdoe

alaandocs wrote: »
    It's risky. Either a definition, small calculation or a concept question would be asked.

Sorry I probably didn't phrase my question the best, I meant is it possible to only study enough of the electricity chapter not to do any long questions on it and just know enough to cover the small questions on electricity in Q5?

• Advertisement

Jdoe wrote: »
    Sorry I probably didn't phrase my question the best, I meant is it possible to only study enough of the electricity chapter not to do any long questions on it and just know enough to cover the small questions on electricity in Q5?

Yeah, though electricity tends to be pretty easily marked and questions are repetitive and easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭adam240610

https://quizlet.com/adam_judge/folders/physics/flashcards

I made these flashcards of the vast majority of possible shortquestions and definitions on the course throughout the year, I'm sure they will be very useful for study so close to the exams now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭reason vs religion

Nice work! There are seven base SI units, though :p

I made all of them besides the mechanics section* hahaha

adam240610 wrote: »
    https://quizlet.com/adam_judge/folders/physics/flashcards

I made these flashcards of the vast majority of possible shortquestions and definitions on the course throughout the year, I'm sure they will be very useful for study so close to the exams now.

I don't deserve to get whatever grade you get! Really great work.

I don't deserve to get whatever grade you get! Really great work.

I. Love. Physics.
    Be damned if I don't get an A1.

I. Love. Physics.
    Be damned if I don't get an A1.

Yeahp its a brilliant Card set! cheers for the link!

Nice work! There are seven base SI units, though :p

Correct but there isn't even a mention of candelas in the book except in the glossary so no need for it.

Correct but there isn't even a mention of candelas in the book except in the glossary so no need for it.

They mention a lot of stuff that we don't need to know though, like quantum spin.
    Although with the sec Hawking radiation will probably come up...

They mention a lot of stuff that we don't need to know though, like quantum spin.
    Although with the sec Hawking radiation will probably come up...

Very true, classic sec. In fairness the course is just made easier by the exclusion of calculus which doesn't help if you go to 3rd level and do it.
    I suppose the whole course just goes over a lot of things and doesn't go into to much depth which doesn't help also.

• Advertisement

Very true, classic sec. In fairness the course is just made easier by the exclusion of calculus which doesn't help if you go to 3rd level and do it.
    I suppose the whole course just goes over a lot of things and doesn't go into to much depth which doesn't help also.

Yeah, applied maths is as close as you can n get in LC, hopefully I can do a module on it next year, would be very interesting.

Anybody know any pages that have the names of the scientists we need to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Seaaan

I'm so scared or not getting an A1 in this, so far these exams haven't been great and I want theoretical physics Trinity :o

Any of ye hoping for theoretical?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 sd97

Can anyone explain to me how to describe the mechanical experiments like a~f and conservation of momentum using timing gates and a scaler timer please?

We use air track and datalogger method but i will describe it anyway!
    For A ~ F ---- you set up using only 1 air rider connected to a scale pan via a pulley at the end of the track. The rider in both experiments has a card length of L attached to it. As the rider goes through gate 1 the time initial velocity is found as the card passes through the beam. The System will find this value. Then the same happens as the rider goes through gate 2 which is S meters away. The second gate will give us the value for V final velocity. We can then use V* = U* +2AS to find A. This is done multiple times by adding weight to the scale pan and each time recorded.

For Momentum ---- 2 riders are needed on the air track. One of the riders needs to be between the two gates. As the lone rider passes through gate 1 we have it's initial velocity. The initial velocity of the rider 2 is 0. Final velocity for both is equal. When rider 1 comes in contact with rider 2 they will move off together (you need to show a way for them to stick together e.g Velcro or blue-tack) their final velocities are calculated by the data logger as the pair move through gate 2. then use the conservation of momentum and they should equal "provided no external force act on the bodies"
    Hope this helps mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Misty_01

Leaving cert HL 2011 Q6 c) explanation please ??? How is friction towards the left and why does the child remain stationery????? Thanks !

Seaaan wrote: »
    I'm so scared or not getting an A1 in this, so far these exams haven't been great and I want theoretical physics Trinity :o

Any of ye hoping for theoretical?

Was thinking of it but decided on engineering, don't want to be confined to very specific jobs.

How did the mock go?

Misty_01 wrote: »
    Leaving cert HL 2011 Q6 c) explanation please ??? How is friction towards the left and why does the child remain stationery????? Thanks !

It says a flat disk, so the friction is just pointing towards the centre of the the circle. It can go to the left or right it doesn't matter.

The child remains stationary as there is no friction between him and the merry go round, like if you put the child one ice and spun it, he wouldn't move with the ice. Its a stupid question.

It says a flat disk, so the friction is just pointing towards the centre of the the circle. It can go to the left or right it doesn't matter.

The child remains stationary as there is no friction between him and the merry go round, like if you put the child one ice and spun it, he wouldn't move with the ice. Its a stupid question.
    Could you help me with this? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057611411

• Advertisement

Can you pm me a picture of it? I don't have a calculator but I'm sure I can help.

Advertisement