Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Frankel Foals Watch Thread!

Options
  • 09-01-2016 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭

Ok I think we should keep track of these. When are we likely to see the first ones out on a race course?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Clique

A thread like this before Cheltenham is almost blasphemy around here!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,379 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Not having a pop at you, but I followed the Sea The Stars progeny like mad in the first year and was disappointed by and large. I am sure Frankel will produce a couple of decent horses, but most will by and large disappoint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I agree that Frankel is unlikely to produce champions. One good point in his favour is the four sires close up in his pedigree were good producers:
    sire side: Sadler's Wells; Miswaki
    dam side: Danehill; Rainbow Quest
    His stud fee of £125k is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

going by how the frankel yearlings were received, its fair to speculate that he is very unlikely to leave a lasting impression in the breeding barn as he had done on the track

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Follow @MichelleKinane if you're on Twitter. She's been putting up stuff about Frankel yearlings and 2yo's due to run this season and their names!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭HarshOstrich

Racing post has a story today of a filly by frankel out of danedream with roger varian. They called it nothing but dreams and is broken in and doing light canters

• Registered Users Posts: 16,347 ✭✭✭✭Raffingora

I went on a tour of the National Stud at Newmarket last September and saw a lovely young Frankel foal out of Purring:

$_0.JPG

He won't be running until 2017 of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

My guess is the mares bred to Frankel will not be suitable, probably too much Northern Dancer.

As a poor punter I would suggest the mare Redstone Dancer (2002) who has Tate Gallery in her sire Namid, and has Red Comes Up in her dam Red Affair.
    Tate Gallery is a full sibling of Sadler's Wells (sire of Frankel's sire Galileo, and Red Come Up is a full sibling of Rainbow Quest who is on the dam line of Frankel.

Or imo Frankel should be bred to a mare with Prince John in her pedigree.
    Prince John is on the damline of Frankel. Prince John is the damsire of Alleged; Big Spruce; Blushing John; Cozzene; Matsadoon; Riverman; Salse; Torsion, all 130+ rated except Salse at 127.

There are many horses bred like Frankel i.e. by Galileo out of a Danehill mare.
    What makes Frankel different is probably what is in the rest of his pedigree, his dam dam's pedigree, and probably the sires on that dam line:
    Rainbow Quest; Stage Door Johnny (by Prince John); Roan Rocket; Persian Gulf.

http://www.racingpost.com/news/live.sd?event_id=15291024&category=0

Paul Makin has a Frankel filly currently training will Haggas. Also, Jim Bolger has one called Goldrush.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Wicklow Brave

The first Frankel foal to hit the track makes his debut at Newbury on Friday:

2yo bay colt CUNCO (Frankel - Chrysanthemum (Danehill Dancer))

Trained by John Gosden, will be ridden by Robert Havlin. Runs in a 6f maiden at 2:00. Ground is in a bad way atm however.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

A strong performance, not earth shattering though. He was boxed in for a lot of the race but when the pace was needed he accelerated. A really good turn of pace and looks like he will go a longer distance

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

If you compare his size to that of Frankel at the same age, he is a lot smaller. its very noticeable when you look at their respective maiden runs. Still great to see his first born hit the tracking winning, good turn of foot too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

3 out of 4 so far including one just there at Haydock, not a bad start. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

A few very impressive well built fillies, very promising start.

Next up is Frankuus at Haydock tonight, 7.45.

Trainer isn't firing on all cylinders like he can so I don't anticipate a dramatic change in the current price. Then again, it is a combo (2 year olds do well in stable) that bears fruit, so I'm going to make a bold statement and say it will be another winner for Frankel.

4/5 for Frankel now!

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    Next up is Frankuus at Haydock tonight, 7.45.

Trainer isn't firing on all cylinders like he can so I don't anticipate a dramatic change in the current price. Then again, it is a combo (2 year olds do well in stable) that bears fruit, so I'm going to make a bold statement and say it will be another winner for Frankel.

Went off at 4/1 and wins easily. Looked very green and raw when he hit the front but looks to have an engine.

I don't think I've seen anything like this! Maybe you can knock the races being contested but it's an incredible start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Obviously very impressive start but you don't send mares to Frankel necessarily wanting 2 year olds. It's a long time between now and the Guineas next year and that'll be a better indicator

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

Obviously very impressive start but you don't send mares to Frankel necessarily wanting 2 year olds. It's a long time between now and the Guineas next year and that'll be a better indicator
    The best 2yos win more than their fair share of championship class races as 3yo, especially when they're by a horse with Frankel's record at 3 and 4. These Frankel's are winning in the style that suggests there's going to be a few Gp1 winners in Frankel's first crop.

Move over Dubawi, there's going to be a new challenger to Galileo's dominance and some more seriously highly priced Frankel yearlings for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

True, but an 80% strike rate from just his first 5 runners is a remarkable achievement. Frankel didn't make his racecourse debut until the August of his 2yo career and did nothing but improve. He was a freak racehorse and it looks like he could be a freak stallion.

True, but an 80% strike rate from just his first 5 runners is a remarkable achievement. Frankel didn't make his racecourse debut until the August of his 2yo career and did nothing but improve. He was a freak racehorse and it looks like he could be a freak stallion.

Here's an interesting article on Frankel's stride which might explain why he could so easily run fast during his races.

http://performancegenetics.com/frankel-stride-analysis-length-extension-and-curl/

He was the best managed stallion prospect of all time re the care and detail put in to keeping him undefeated and it's tempting to imagine that stage management carried on into his first runners but yesterday's winner in particular wasn't very fancied at 4/1 and still did the business in style yesterday. He may well be transmitting his own freakish physique to his stock. Also as a Guineas and 10f winner with a DI of 1.00 he is very likely capable of producing stock who will be capable of winning at all the Classic distances as 3yos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Mostly Harmless

While this is a promising start for sure, it is still far too early to conclude anything about the relative merits of Frankel as a sire.

80% strike rate from a sample size of 5 might sound nice but it's basically meaningless.

What do you make of the Frankel's after Ascot?

Have to say that they disappointed just a bit, Frankel himself improved for stepping up in trip and company while the Frankel's weren't getting better the further they went which was at odds with the impressions they left when winning their maidens. It was particularly disappointing to see Cunco the best of his so far having the form of his maiden win turned around with the 2nd then Isomer ( by the appalling sire Cape Blanco ) beating him today.

Hard to assess where they go from here, they all ran okay, the 2 colts showing signs of temperament. Shades of Zoffany maybe about the Frankel's in that they look like horses of the highest order but fall a little short when the going gets really tough.

There should be enough well bred Frankel's to come to get over this blip.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭tiegan

Cunco is a first foal of his dam Chrysanthemum. He was so small and weak when he was born that no photos were released to the press for the first fortnight. I work in the foaling unit where he was born. He ran a great race today considering how free he ran on the way to the start. The winner of that race Churchill is a very different horse, big and strong and ran very green. He is very highly rated at home, and was always very forward as a yearling. Time will tell but I would not write Cunco off yet. Will be interesting to see how the rest of his runners fare.

I thought all 3 were admirable in their running.

The one who probably disappointed me most was Frankuus. Given his trainer I would have expected a harder performance from the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

That's a good looking race that War Front for Bolger went for a load at the breeze ups think 850K USD

• Advertisement

Advertisement