Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Ryan561

WannabePC wrote: »
    If it was in relation to an injury or illness that's already down on the form and your GP has put it done too, I can't see you needing any additional info for it especially if it's for something small. Most of us have been on anti-biotics or had pain killers prescribed to us at some point so don't worry if it's something along those lines. If it was anti - depressants or something to that fact I would worry.

Oh no its nothing major like that, it was a tablet for reflux stomach acid. My parents say I'm overthinking by wanting additional info but I'm just being cautious

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Rustey Nail

You'll go through a full eye examination on the day so you won't need to get an u to date eye test in that respect. If there's other checks they do on your eyes in relation to the surgery then I suppose it wouldn't be a bad idea to have any supporting evidence of that with you. My mate had his eyes done to get in about 7 years ago as he was as blind as a bat and he got in no problem.

I thought that would be the case but it's good to have someone's opinion who has already been through the process. Many thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭WannabePC

Ryan561 wrote: »
    Oh no its nothing major like that, it was a tablet for reflux stomach acid. My parents say I'm overthinking by wanting additional info but I'm just being cautious

I think you are worrying over nothing. If you haven't had any recurring symptoms or problems of that and it was several years ago that it happened last you'll be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

Put it down in your forms but say on it you haven't had issues with it for ages. I had an accident as a teenager and needed physio at uni cos I was doing stuff that was aggravating the old injury. I just wrote that in the form and said there's been no occurences since 2002 cos I'm not doing the thing that annoys it and I didn't add supporting documents but still passed in C1

Could someone tell me how long the medical will last approximately?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Bustermoon

In and out in a little over an hour!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭WannabePC

I was there for a couple of hours by the time they got through the few of us that were there.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭iamveryhopeful

Bustermoon wrote: »
    In and out in a little over a minute!

actually sounds incredibly familiar.....

I was there for a couple of hours by the time they got through the few of us that were there.

Thanks guys, just trying to figure out if I need a half day. I think I do.

can anyone confirm if they were ok (urine test wise) in the medical when on a high protein, clean (bodybuilding type) diet?

as in nothing came up that I need to worry about (protein too high etc)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Ryan561

can anyone confirm if they were ok (urine test wise) in the medical when on a high protein, clean (bodybuilding type) diet?

as in nothing came up that I need to worry about (protein too high etc)

I wouldn't say I'm on high protein intake but id take protein shakes and it didn't affect it

Ryan561 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say I'm on high protein intake but id take protein shakes and it didn't affect it

I don't take protein shakes but consume around 300 grams a day of protein so am hoping that wont show anything negative.

back in the day a family member of mine failed an r.a.f. medical for having to much protein in his urine or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭PCbobby

I don't take protein shakes but consume around 300 grams a day of protein so am hoping that wont show anything negative.

back in the day a family member of mine failed an r.a.f. medical for having to much protein in his urine or something like that.

I usually drink litres of milk each day but I have reduced pretty much anything that could affect the test (PCparanoid). I was thinking of getting a iced mocha frappe feom McDonald's on way to the medical but maybe not... Just in case.

On a more serious note, because protein is a natural substance in your body I wouldn't imagine even extreme amounts would affect you. Whatever is not used is removed from our systems right?

PCbobby wrote: »
    I usually drink litres of milk each day but I have reduced pretty much anything that could affect the test (PCparanoid). I was thinking of getting a iced mocha frappe feom McDonald's on way to the medical but maybe not... Just in case.

On a more serious note, because protein is a natural substance in your body I wouldn't imagine even extreme amounts would affect you. Whatever is not used is removed from our systems right?

I don't know (iamverystupid). I know nothing about drug tests and am paranoid that of all my sports supplements one of them will somehow fail me :(

I was having a read through the documentation last night and seemingly (from my understanding) you can be taking lsd and magic mushrooms and pass the test with flying colours as they are not tested for. I thought everything came up in a drug test....

Thanks PCveryhelpful......

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭networksearch1

Passed my pca retest yesterday. Instructor rsaid she rang through to occupational health,gave my details and that they said they would post the medical letter out...hopefully this means it will be done sooner rather than later.just 2 questions...how long people been waiting between these two stages, and what exactly happened s at the medical,what tests do they do?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Delilahbeau

Hey!

Firstly. Congratulations.

Most people tend to hear very quickly (2 or so days) about medical appointments. However, from the forum it appears a few people's medical appoints have been delayed.... Never fear... A theory is just that they are gather people to have a full appointment day/days.

The medical itself is very bog standard. Eye test (as would be in the optitians - think father jack and the 'drink' board) colour vision test (5 coloured dots, you pick which dot is closest in colour to the centre dot), lung function (it's a big inhaler in reverse essentially), audio range (jazzy head phones in a sound booth. Listen carefully, and try your best to breath normally, but also silently) and a urine test (for abnormal sugars and proteins)

After all that, the Dr sees you. You hop, squat and lay on a bed for him to check your manoveurability and what not. He'll ask you some questions, it's all very nice. Nothing to be worried about.

After that, your drugs test. You'll get scalped by a very eccentric man. (Not scalped, but he will give you a free hair cut. He is very pleasant to talk to though.) he'll run through what happens, take a list off you about what you may have in your system (for the last three months - be honest, tell him everything you can think of - pain killers, travel sickness tabs, lemsips/Beechams, herbal tea, dentists anaesthetic, the lot) and you will be absolutely fine.

You'll receive a letter the next day(or within the week at any rate) telling you you've either passed or failed.

Good luck!

Passed my pca retest yesterday. Instructor rsaid she rang through to occupational health,gave my details and that they said they would post the medical letter out...hopefully this means it will be done sooner rather than later.just 2 questions...how long people been waiting between these two stages, and what exactly happened s at the medical,what tests do they do?

I think it took a good couple of weeks for my medical date letter to come out after passing pca.

Initial date being just over a month after my pca was passed.

Medical: urine test, eyesight test, colour vision test, lung capacity test, hearing test, doctor checks you over, then you go to the drugs boy for the hair test. One look at me and he laughed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭dollasign

My BMI is currently 32 will they fail me on that (I have started training and cutting the crap out of my diet) and I am along way away from the medical so hopefully i will be 30 or under by the time I get there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

dollasign wrote: »
    My BMI is currently 32 will they fail me on that (I have started training and cutting the crap out of my diet) and I am along way away from the medical so hopefully i will be 30 or under by the time I get there!!

Is this any use?
    Candidate will not meet the standard if: BMI candidate’s body composition is
    greater than 30 and Body Fat candidate’s body fat is greater
    than 5% above the predicted maximum and examination candidate appears overweight at medical assessment.

Thanks Homer, I was just asking because some people I know who got in say they never had their BMI checked, was just wondering if anyone might be in the know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭D4z

Thanks Homer, I was just asking because some people I know who got in say they never had their BMI checked, was just wondering if anyone might be in the know.

I'd definitely prepare for them to measure your BMI. If you're on the heavy side then cutting out small things like breads and unnecessary carbs will shred lbs off.

Really easy meal idea is chicken and brown rice on a training day and chicken and broccoli on a non training day (you don't need the brown rice if you aren't going to burn the energy), if it's too bland then get a chicken in a bag like Maggi So Juicy. Watch out for the fat content though as some are high but the garlic chicken one is 2.2g per 1/4 which isn't bad and it really makes a difference in the taste.

I'd also aim for less than 5g of FAT per meal and suggest logging everything on my fitness pal.

Worst case scenario and you can't stick to this; I'd suggest going to the doctors and asking for orlistat as you'll get it with a BMI over 30. Basically you take a tablet 3x times daily and it stops all fat absorbing over 5g. Anything over 5g and you'll basically have olive oil run out you without any notice, if that isn't a good scare tactic I don't know what is? //if you don't want to ask the doctors, you can buy them in Boots etc but they're costly.

Just my 2 cents

I suppose a lot of it is a case by case basis. I personally see the BMI purely as an indicator, just part of the overall picture. I'm sure most rugby players will have a high BMI but as they say muscle weighs more than fat :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

I haven't heard of anyone failing due to their bmi however that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Personally I think bmi is a load of crap as Homer said muscle weighs more than fat so when you're striped off to your underwear the dr will be able to see your physical composition. They don't ask for it but when they take your height and weight they could work it out. Tbh I wouldn't worry about it, I'd worry about getting fit enough to pass the PCA lol

I don't know but would say if you can pass PCA and have no major health concerns you'll be grand.

D4z wrote: »
    I'd definitely prepare for them to measure your BMI. If you're on the heavy side then cutting out small things like breads and unnecessary carbs will shred lbs off.

Really easy meal idea is chicken and brown rice on a training day and chicken and broccoli on a non training day (you don't need the brown rice if you aren't going to burn the energy), if it's too bland then get a chicken in a bag like Maggi So Juicy. Watch out for the fat content though as some are high but the garlic chicken one is 2.2g per 1/4 which isn't bad and it really makes a difference in the taste.

I'd also aim for less than 5g of FAT per meal and suggest logging everything on my fitness pal.

Worst case scenario and you can't stick to this; I'd suggest going to the doctors and asking for orlistat as you'll get it with a BMI over 30. Basically you take a tablet 3x times daily and it stops all fat absorbing over 5g. Anything over 5g and you'll basically have olive oil run out you without any notice, if that isn't a good scare tactic I don't know what is? //if you don't want to ask the doctors, you can buy them in Boots etc but they're costly.

Just my 2 cents

Some really good advice there, thanks alot ill take it on board.

Thanks for the replies everyone!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Homer01 wrote: »
    I don't know but would say if you can pass PCA and have no major health concerns you'll be grand.

And there is my worry, I havent got a major health concern butbit is one that affects my heart so dreading the medical.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭yet another lurker

Goonerdee wrote: »
    And there is my worry, I havent got a major health concern butbit is one that affects my heart so dreading the medical.

I really am not sure how much has changed since I last did the medical nine years ago but back then people that passed the medical with certain underlying conditions known were allowed through.
    The difference came when in garnerville and people were signing pension forms. Certain recruits could not get the full pension as a result of their condition.
    I would not panic at this stage about your heart issue as long as your doctor is happy to sign you off as fully fit. However I'd be prepared to take a slightly lower pension. That being said pensions have been destroyed since then so who knows!

I really am not sure how much has changed since I last did the medical nine years ago but back then people that passed the medical with certain underlying conditions known were allowed through.
    The difference came when in garnerville and people were signing pension forms. Certain recruits could not get the full pension as a result of their condition.
    I would not panic at this stage about your heart issue as long as your doctor is happy to sign you off as fully fit. However I'd be prepared to take a slightly lower pension. That being said pensions have been destroyed since then so who knows!

From the Guidance For Applicants;
    Following the medical assessment you will be considered to be one of the following:
    Medically fit, having met the required standards for the role and for entry to the police pension scheme; or
    Medically unfit, having not met the required standards; or
    Medically fit, but requiring an adjustment in the role which will be considered by the Police Service of Northern Ireland DDA Panel; or
    Medically fit, having met the required standards for the role but not eligible for the Police Pension scheme ill health benefits

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭LadyABC

Starting to panic a bit as I just remembered or can't rather, if I ticked that I've suffered depression before on my application form. It's something I have had before, or at least the doc gave me anti depressants when family members died etc. on a few occasions in the past. Have I screwed everything up if I didn't tick that box?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 RTGeorge8910

Can anyone help with advice for the medical regarding BMI? Is this very strictly adhered to during the medical. Even if you pass the fitness test they could bin you because you BMI is high?

"Composition Standard.
    However, you should note that the body composition standard is set at the start of the obese range, so being moderately overweight is acceptable but being obese and aspiring to meet the standard in the future is not acceptable."

"Candidate will not meet the standard if:
    BMI: candidate's body composition is greater than 30 and
    Body Fat: candidate's body fat is greater than 5% above the predicted maximum and
    Examination: candidate appears overweight at medical assessment."

Advertisement