Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer questions you'd be embarrassed to ask any where else!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Ok did (almost) all the above and it made a small difference*, but ever onward as they say.
    Anyone like to recommend an SSD. Considering this one but am open to other opinions. TIA

*about the same as the defrag and av scan I run every week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Ok did (almost) all the above and it made a small difference*, but ever onward as they say.
    Anyone like to recommend an SSD. Considering this one but am open to other opinions. TIA

*about the same as the defrag and av scan I run every week or two.

Crucial BX200 is about €20 cheaper. I don't think it comes with the upgrade pack, but if you want to reinstall Windows freshly onto the new SSD then it doesn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,178 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Just out of interest, what is an SSD?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭wiz569

looksee wrote: »

Solid State Drive,no moving parts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

It's a storage drive like a hard drive, it's a newer technology. They can access data much faster than traditional hard drives so are useful for running an OS, as everything is much snappier with less waiting.

They're expensive for the storage though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭fleabag

Hiya, hoping I can get an explanation on this one .... the friend request icon was lit up on my FB page so I thought I had a friend request. When I clicked on it, it said X has accepted your friend request.

However, I never sent X a friend request?!

The closest I came to X was sharing a Youtube video that he is in (he's a street performer) to a friend's timeline.

So how has X been able to generate a friend request from my page to his - which he then accepts, automatically making you friends whether you want to or not??

I know I can unfriend X but this is a bit unsettling. And I don't want to ask FB because I don't trust 'em!

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

fleabag wrote: »
    Hiya, hoping I can get an explanation on this one .... the friend request icon was lit up on my FB page so I thought I had a friend request. When I clicked on it, it said X has accepted your friend request.

However, I never sent X a friend request?!

The closest I came to X was sharing a Youtube video that he is in (he's a street performer) to a friend's timeline.

So how has X been able to generate a friend request from my page to his - which he then accepts, automatically making you friends whether you want to or not??

I know I can unfriend X but this is a bit unsettling. And I don't want to ask FB because I don't trust 'em!

Thanks!

FB make their living from this sort of thing. There is a software that recognises links and auto connects folk. You can safely unfrien, and the chances are the other person will not even know you have been friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I am often amazed at the people who pop up on my FB page. I don't really do the FB thing, I just 'follow' particular sites for updates on things that interest me. FB asked me recently if I know this particular woman. I do know her, but how the heck she appeared on my FB page I have no idea. I have no communication with her online whatsoever. FB is too clever by half.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭fleabag

Thanks Rubecula, I had no idea this was possible. That's some cheek though - what if I'd sent your man an angry message asking him what he was playing at and it wasn't his fault at all?

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I am often amazed at the people who pop up on my FB page. I don't really do the FB thing, I just 'follow' particular sites for updates on things that interest me. FB asked me recently if I know this particular woman. I do know her, but how the heck she appeared on my FB page I have no idea. I have no communication with her online whatsoever. FB is too clever by half.

Yep I've had this as well. Googled the number for the local vet practice and next thing, there was the vet on my FB page as a 'suggested' friend. It's getting so I'm afraid to be stalking these days!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Jellybaby1 wrote: »

Exactly why I closed my account. I still get emails that x, y and z have sent friend requests eventhough I don't have an account anymore....:D

And, Linkedin will be next as they are up to the same dirt.....:mad:

• Advertisement

I may follow your lead and just close it down. I don't really need immediate updates all the times, its flippin' exhausting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭PMBC

On starting Windows 10the screen appears with box in centre for password. On a few occasions I've clicked, planning to insert password, in the wrong place and with the cursor/arrow outside the box. Screen freezes, cant unfreeze, cant type password even with cursor in correct place. Tried right clicking, Cltrl+Alt+Delete but no change. Eventually after leaving a number of hours to run down power or turning off for more than two hours, I can re-open (and type in password)
    My two queries are
    1. Why is it happening as I just clicked on a random part of the Windows screen. Is my click sending a message that the system doesn't understand?
    2. Is there any quicker way of correcting it as waiting a few hours can be wasteful?
    Thanks in advance, you helpful people.

Can't help you, but suggest you pop this question over in "Computer questions you'd be embarrassed to ask any where else!" here in O & O.

Mod: Posts moved

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Thank you looksee xx

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

PMBC wrote: »
    On starting Windows 10the screen appears with box in centre for password. On a few occasions I've clicked, planning to insert password, in the wrong place and with the cursor/arrow outside the box. Screen freezes, cant unfreeze, cant type password even with cursor in correct place. Tried right clicking, Cltrl+Alt+Delete but no change. Eventually after leaving a number of hours to run down power or turning off for more than two hours, I can re-open (and type in password)
    My two queries are
    1. Why is it happening as I just clicked on a random part of the Windows screen. Is my click sending a message that the system doesn't understand?
    2. Is there any quicker way of correcting it as waiting a few hours can be wasteful?
    Thanks in advance, you helpful people.

Windows 10 is a bit of a mess. However you shouldn't have to click anywhere, just type your password as the blinking cursor should already be in the box.

If your system freezes you may have to reboot the system by holding down the power button on the machine until it powers off. Then press it once again to reboot.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

This has been doing my head in all day (and I literally mean ALL DAY): I have a Kodak ESP C315 All-In-One printer (printer/scanner/fax) which I've had for years. Every so often, it gets stroppy and I have to delete and re-add it, then all will be well. But at the moment, it will print wirelessly, but it won't scan wirelessly. It IS connected to the Wifi:

Uqd6Okb.jpg

I've done all the googling, I've removed and re-added it, I've turned everything possible off and then on again (even things that have nothing to do with the computer! :P), I've re-downloaded the printer drivers. This has happened before, but it was a couple of years ago and I don't remember how I solved the problem (it was random key-mashing, like I've been trying today).

My laptop is HP, running Windows 10. Please help! If you can solve this for me, I promise I will NEVER recommend you as an IT expert to any of my friends/family :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Never mind, I managed to figure it out. Well, when I say figure it out, I mean correct it but not sure now. Just did all the right things in all the right order, I guess. :)

I have just tried to log into my electric ireland account online, and I keep getting 'your connection is not private, attackers may be trying to steal your information, the link is NET::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID. And it says the cert is invalid. However when I checked the security thing on Electric Ireland (the lock on the HTTP bit) it says the cert is valid. (seems a bit unlikely that ee would not be up to date). So how do I get round this. I was offered the option of going to ee though it was marked 'unsafe'. Any advice anyone? I did a bit of googling but I did not understand the instructions (and there were a lot of very suspect videos too!)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Try a different browser first.
    Lots of them available ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭crazyderk

I have just tried to log into my electric ireland account online, and I keep getting 'your connection is not private, attackers may be trying to steal your information, the link is NET::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID. And it says the cert is invalid. However when I checked the security thing on Electric Ireland (the lock on the HTTP bit) it says the cert is valid. (seems a bit unlikely that ee would not be up to date). So how do I get round this. I was offered the option of going to ee though it was marked 'unsafe'. Any advice anyone? I did a bit of googling but I did not understand the instructions (and there were a lot of very suspect videos too!)

Could just be an issue with the site. Try again in a while or as the other poster says try a different browser.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Any chance of a screenshot?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Check the date is set correctly on your computer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Same for me here, when I tried.

Yes, just checked the site ..... it is a site problem ...... it seems they have closed access to prevent any bad things happening.

Thanks for your answers. Yes, one of the places I looked said to check the date, and it was correct. Will wait and see what happens on the site as I have never had problems with it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Thanks for your answers. Yes, one of the places I looked said to check the date, and it was correct. Will wait and see what happens on the site as I have never had problems with it before.
    It's just down for maintenance, if you use chrome you can bypass the security warning and you will see this.

U8FEupY.jpg

Ah thanks for that!

It should propably be mentioned in this thread (or maybe it is already) that there are quite a number of scam emails being sent out in the past few months.
    Some, like ElectricIreland, have warned their customers about this specifically.
    Others like eir do not seem to care ........ it is within their power to kill such emails before they get delivered to their eircom.net email customers, but they do not do so!

In any case I wanted to point out that scam emails are plentiful these days, and you should NEVER access ANY account by clicking on a link in an email.

Scam emails I recall receiving recently

electric ireland
    irish water
    revenue commissioners

and others which are obviously scams such as ones referring to my student card/status :D:D

There are ways to tell from whom the email came ......... use that information to protect yourself. ;)

I always delete those type of emails as soon as I see them. Obvious scam!

• Advertisement

Something I do only once in a blue moon and as usual I can't remember how. Could someone explain very simply, how to change a piece of coloured clipart to black & white. The image I have is a cartoon character. I don't have a colour printer. I need to print it out in B&W and colour it by hand. I'm trying to select the relevant bits of the image one by one but am making a right old hash of it. Would Paint be easier to use? I did it before with Betty Boop but my mind is a cobweb these days. :( Marilyn Monroe might be next! :D

Advertisement