Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer questions you'd be embarrassed to ask any where else!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Can I get in the queue with another question please? My computer and scanner are no longer talking to each other. Himself is pretty good at sorting these problems out but this time he's stumped, and he's done all the trouble shooting he can, the computer is just not picking it up. Himself has now deleted it and then re-installed it but still nothing. We've checked all the connections and plugs, we've switched it off and on again. I did notice over the last week a little noise now and then (sort of like 'twiddly-dee' in a computer sound!), now I know it was something to do with the scanner connection as when we were reconnecting we heard it again. Still not reading it though. Scanner is HP Deskjet 1050 and giving the message 'to get started, connect a scanner'. It IS connected. Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Can I get in the queue with another question please? My computer and scanner are no longer talking to each other. Himself is pretty good at sorting these problems out but this time he's stumped, and he's done all the trouble shooting he can, the computer is just not picking it up. Himself has now deleted it and then re-installed it but still nothing. We've checked all the connections and plugs, we've switched it off and on again. I did notice over the last week a little noise now and then (sort of like 'twiddly-dee' in a computer sound!), now I know it was something to do with the scanner connection as when we were reconnecting we heard it again. Still not reading it though. Scanner is HP Deskjet 1050 and giving the message 'to get started, connect a scanner'. It IS connected. Any ideas?

The most obvious one is that the cable connecting it has somehow got damaged and broken. Try a new cable in it. Alternatively the connection point of the printer or the usb slot of the computer may be damaged. Try plugging another usb device into the slot on the computer and see if the computer picks it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Thanks ken, we'll scout around for another cable.

Edit: We tried the cable off an old printer/scanner but it didn't work in the HP. Cable worked in its own printer/scanner so proves the cable is ok. My HP is in the doldrums. Any hope of reviving it do you think?

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Thanks ken, we'll scout around for another cable.

Edit: We tried the cable off an old printer/scanner but it didn't work in the HP. Cable worked in its own printer/scanner so proves the cable is ok. My HP is in the doldrums. Any hope of reviving it do you think?

Are you sure when you redownloaded the drivers you got the right one. My mother once downloaded the drivers for 64x when she had a 32x system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Red Hare wrote: »
    Brensbenz - try this site to upload your photo http://www.wthax.org/

1) upload photo to wthax
    2) copy code
    3) go to boards.ie and make a post
    4) select the insert image button (its a square with a mountain and sun on a yellow background)
    5) copy the code into the box
    6) submit

Many thanks for that, Red Hare, I'm sure this will work ("copy code" - what code?) but you probably know by now that I'm a cantankerous old f@rt. Why, oh why, oh why do we have to use THIRD PARTY apps (wthax, picasa, etc., etc.) to attach a photo to a CHATSITE like Boards????????????

It's because the boards' system doesn't work; they know it doesn't work but they won't fix it!!!!! To add insult to injury, Boards "Help" on this process is a masterpiece of unhelpful and inaccurate waffle.

I'm deloyrah that Maudgone succeeded in showing us the photo of her delightful niece, and, if.........my method (no third party apps) was used, I'd be dubble deloyrah!

Retreats back to sick bed, expecting big ban hammer on baldy bonce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

BrenzBenz - Just to clarify that the code appears whaen you upload an image to wthax!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

BrenzBenz - Just to clarify that the code appears whaen you upload an image to wthax!

And it would be a URL of the image. You could paste into a browser address bar, or enclose it with IMG tags on a post here. Like http://some.server.dnsname.com/somepath/myimage.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 45,824 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Just testing here to see if I uploaded my avatar

Edit/ the image wasnt embedded so uploading through Boards isnt working right for me.

Now I'll trot on over to wthax which is my preferred method.

Now this should work better....hopefully

4BcYsF.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

muffler wrote: »
    Just testing here to see if I uploaded my avatar
    You know that Boards has a forum specifically for testing.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=361

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement

OldGoat wrote: »
    You know that Boards has a forum specifically for testing.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=361
    Aye, but I was doing both methods here for the benefit of others who may be stuck and was just about to fire up another post that I could talk them through the process :)

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭chinwag

Using my laptop, I seem to be able view avatars when I'm logged out, but not when logged in. :confused:

When you go to the wthax.org site select choose file.
    6h9ahH.png

You then select from your computer the file you want to upload and click open in the window that pops up.

You then click do it do it now.
    5vLQG6.png

Once its finished this window opens up.
    5MbJ38.png

The top code is the code needed for boards. Just right click your mouse in that box and select copy.

Then go to boards and when replying to a thread right click again and select paste.

The code will now be in your post and you've just posted a picture.

One thing. Make sure the code is on a line by itself or else any writing ends up stuck to the side of the picture.

chinwag wrote: »
    Using my laptop, I seem to be able view avatars when I'm logged out, but not when logged in. :confused:
    You can turn that facility on or off when you are logged in. Go to your CP (control panel) and down the left side click "edit options" and then scroll down and you will find the option to turn off avatars, images and sigs as shown below.

7ddp5Q.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭chinwag

Thanks for that muffler.

Is there a process for requesting that these clear, simple, straight-forward instructions (above) are incorporated into Boards "help" page, i.e. where newbies and the bewildered can easily find them?

PS: I'm still wondering why it's necessary to use third party software when boards includes an "Upload" button. Granted, the button rarely works but.......why can't it be either fixed or removed?????

BrensBenz - Just to clarify that the code appears when you upload an image to wthax!

Really sorry to be a bore, Red Hare, but no, it doesn't!
    I went to wthax, located my shot, clicked on it, clicked "upload" and waited, and waited, and waited for some hint as to what to do next. Nothing! No code, no URL, no new screen, no hint, nothing!

As usual, the FAQs page tells me what is possible but refuses to tell me HOW! There is no "help" page. There is nothing wrong with my computer - it's working fine on other sites.

Just for the sake of comparison, this morning, I uploaded a shot of the undercarriage of my car's engine to a motoring chatsite.
    1. BROWSE,
    2. SELECT SHOT,
    3. OPEN, and DONE. Uploaded and visible in my post.

Why can't boards do this?

BrensBenz wrote: »
    I went to wthax, located my shot, clicked on it, clicked "upload" and waited, and waited, and waited for some hint as to what to do next.
    When you locate the file on your PC you need to double click on it OR click once and then click "open". Next thing to do is click on the tab that says "do it now"

I'll stick 2 screen shots in here which might help.

This is what you should see at the outset.......
    4LFV75.jpg

You then browse to locate your image and when you find it make sure you double click it or click once and then open.

this is what will appear after I click on the "do it now" tab located just below "Upload it" as mentioned above.
    4YssbS.jpg

Simply highlight, copy and paste the "BBCode (full)" on the top line.

When you locate the file on your PC you need to double click on it OR click once and then click "open". Next thing to do is click on the tab that says "do it now"

I'll stick 2 screen shots in here which might help.

This is what you should see at the outset.......
    4LFV75.jpg

You then browse to locate your image and when you find it make sure you double click it or click once and then open.

this is what will appear after I click on the "do it now" tab located just below "Upload it" as mentioned above.
    4YssbS.jpg

Simply highlight, copy and paste the "BBCode (full)" on the top line.

Did all that.....it doesn't work! No codes, no URLs, no hints. Just empty boxes. It simply stops!
    If and when I can get this to work, "Simply highlight, copy and paste the "BBCode (full)" on the top line" where do I paste the BBCode to? Is "BBCode" just a sneaky name for "URL"? Will the BBCode work in the otherwise useless Boards "URL" window?

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    And it would be a URL of the image. You could paste into a browser address bar, or enclose it with IMG tags on a post here. Like http://some.server.dnsname.com/somepath/myimage.jpg

Thanks Bonzo, your reply is much appreciated, but I have no idea why I should have to paste (something?) into a browser address bar! Let's not forget that Boards claims to include a fully-functioning process for attaching photos. It doesn't work so, because Boards refuses to admit there is a fault, much less actually fix it, users are forced to invent a shedfull of bizzare work-arounds.

Regarding "enclose it with IMG tags on a post" WHOH????

Also, clicking on"http://some.server.dnsname.com/somepath/myimage.jpg" brings you to http://www.dnsname.com/ and I can't see any way for that site to attach photos to Boards.

Sorry lads. Rant over, fed up, off to bed.

• Advertisement

What size is your image Bren?, Whatax has a 10mb limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Thanks Bonzo, your reply is much appreciated, but I have no idea why I should have to paste (something?) into a browser address bar! Let's not forget that Boards claims to include a fully-functioning process for attaching photos. It doesn't work so, because Boards refuses to admit there is a fault, much less actually fix it, users are forced to invent a shedfull of bizzare work-arounds.

Regarding "enclose it with IMG tags on a post" WHOH????

Also, clicking on"http://some.server.dnsname.com/somepath/myimage.jpg" brings you to http://www.dnsname.com/ and I can't see any way for that site to attach photos to Boards.

Sorry lads. Rant over, fed up, off to bed.

The link you clicked was just an example or what a link/URL looks like. I should have chosen it a little better. I wasn't suggesting you could upload images there.

IMG tags are an example of BBcode. Here's an example
    photo.jpg
    with a madeup URL

ken wrote: »
    What size is your image Bren?, Whatax has a 10mb limit.

Nowhere near 10Mb! Usually 2 - 3Mb. I size and compress shots before trying (and failing) to attach to Boards!

Lads, many thanks for your patience but, at this stage, I think, like many others before me, that I'll give up trying to attach photos to Boards until the built-in unreliability and tedious process have been addressed and we have ONE, straight-forward and working method. Oh, there's a squadron of pigs flying overhead! I'd send a photo but......you know!

Nowhere near 10Mb! Usually 2 - 3Mb. I size and compress shots before trying (and failing) to attach to Boards!

Lads, many thanks for your patience but, at this stage, I think, like many others before me, that I'll give up trying to attach photos to Boards until the built-in unreliability and tedious process have been addressed and we have ONE, straight-forward and working method. Oh, there's a squadron of pigs flying overhead! I'd send a photo but......you know!
    With all due respect you should be posting your complaints either in the feedback forum or the site development forum if you think there is something wrong with the site.

I'm not very well up on PC matters or the likes and often have to ask for help myself but when I do I don't go blaming everyone and everything and concentrate on the advice and help being offered by others. Leaving aside the issue of uploading directly from your PC to Boards it seems to me that the problems you are encountering lie on your end especially when using the likes of wthax as no one else has an issue with this.

That's not meant to be harsh btw as I fully understand it's frustrating when not being able to do something simple that most other people can. Maybe you could consider getting a friend/neigbour/relation in to show you how its done or alternatively check your PC to see if there's something along the lines of a firewall or anti virus programme running that's preventing you from uploading pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

With all due respect you should be posting your complaints either in the feedback forum or the site development forum if you think there is something wrong with the site.

I'm not very well up on PC matters or the likes and often have to ask for help myself but when I do I don't go blaming everyone and everything and concentrate on the advice and help being offered by others. Leaving aside the issue of uploading directly from your PC to Boards it seems to me that the problems you are encountering lie on your end especially when using the likes of wthax as no one else has an issue with this.

That's not meant to be harsh btw as I fully understand it's frustrating when not being able to do something simple that most other people can. Maybe you could consider getting a friend/neigbour/relation in to show you how its done or alternatively check your PC to see if there's something along the lines of a firewall or anti virus programme running that's preventing you from uploading pics.

In fairness to Brens, following on from excellent advice on this thread I also used wthax a few times.

For no good reason that I could figure out, it stopped working for me as well,
    maybe each user gets only so many uploads ??

I started using Tinypic.com which is good, ( just watch out for the Message Alert flashing on the left, there be Monsters in there ).

Brens keep trying, don't let the system get you down.
    Looking forward to more pictures of the grand-kids.

Oh, I certainly dont mean to offend with the last post. Thats just me and my style of posting....calling it as I see it, but (@Brens) please dont take offense. :)

I suppose what I should be saying is that if Brens thinks the fault lies with boards and/or other image hosting sites then the matter needs to be raised in the appropriate forum.

But I genuinely think the problem is with Bren's PC and as I said earlier my knowledge on such things is fairly limited. :o

Oh, I certainly dont mean to offend with the last post. Thats just me and my style of posting....calling it as I see it, but (@Brens) please dont take offense. :)

I suppose what I should be saying is that if Brens thinks the fault lies with boards and/or other image hosting sites then the matter needs to be raised in the appropriate forum.

But I genuinely think the problem is with Bren's PC and as I said earlier my knowledge on such things is fairly limited. :o

Muffler, I've been offended by experts and have survived, so you'll have to try much, much harder to offend me!

Some time ago, I had exchanges with Boards "Help" on the issue of (guess what) attaching photos to Boards. It was like swimming in cut and pasted, jargon-rich treacle! Eventually, we came to a simple process (which now doesn't work) but no revision of "Help" was performed. It's still written in Middle Nerdish and there is no apparent wish to improve it.

Regarding my PC / laptop, yes, it's old and running XP. Unfortunately, the same failures also occur on Mrs. BrensBenz's shiny, new PC.

So, my apologies if I'm causing annoyance but, Society expects continuous improvement. Unfortunately, unless a process owner admits that improvement is possible, no improvement can happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Triboro

When someone asks me to provide a link to a post or thread with my reply...how do i do that? Working off iphone at the minute so i dont know if i get all the options that i would if i were on pc...any tips appreciated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 FF7 7777

Triboro wrote: »
    When someone asks me to provide a link to a post or thread with my reply...how do i do that? Working off iphone at the minute so i dont know if i get all the options that i would if i were on pc...any tips appreciated.

You just have to get the address of the thing you want to link (the URL it's called if we want to be techy about it).

So if you want to link this page, the address is up at the Top of the page there,

http: // www .boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056400156&page=54

I had to add in spaces there as I'm a new User and can't post links yet.

I've never used anything Apple but assuming it's the same as Android, and I'd say it is, you'd open the page you want to link, hold your finger down on the address bar and you should get some options like copy url and what have you.

Then open up where you want to add the link, hold your finger down and you'll get the paste option.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 FF7 7777

So, my apologies if I'm causing annoyance but, Society expects continuous improvement. Unfortunately, unless a process owner admits that improvement is possible, no improvement can happen.

Hi their,

Try Imgur for adding your pics. They have a world of tools to make it all easier from Browser addons to proper little Apps.

Link here,

imgur.com/tools

The 6th one down there MyImgur is super little program.

You're better off using a third party tool anyway. It'll give you more control of your images. If you upload them using Boards Tools and then want an Image removed for some reason, you'll have to ask and theirs no guarantee at all anymore that they will.

If you use Imgur then you just log on to your Imgur Account and wipe from there to remove from here.

Advertisement