Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky+ in Ireland: Now June 1st.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by irishbyte
    I'm curious Tony, what meter is it? For Sky installs I've only used the 2nd generation Sky Digital meter (used to be made by Premier Electronics and cost IR£250 I think). For other installs there is a Satlook meter, with a monitor, etc.

I use a spectrum analyser which showsup problems the cheaper meter's dont although I'm sure they are fine for the majority of sky installs.

Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Originally posted by pbirney
    Actually, Shane, AFAIK the 0818 numbers are not freefone. I think that they are charged at the national call rate. Furthermore, I think that companies that advertise 0818 numbers are obliged to indicate the cost of calls.

/Paul.

I dialed the 1800 535767 number and selected option 0 which puts you through to Sky + (and the extra digibox).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Just called that number today, and the girl in customer services said it was delayed until the "end of June". She would not give any specific details on why it was delayed.

I know initially they had a problem where the pricing for Sky+ was not available in Euros on the software that the customer service reps use.

I did a forced update yesterday on my Sky+ box but there was no update. When I press 'pause' it still says "recording not available. Call . . . . . to upgrade your subscription." (the number is missing).

They don't seem to like sending out updates for Sky+ boxes becuase it could seems to mess up recordings that are happening at the time (the box gets reset). Maybe they are waiting to bundle this 'Irish' update with some other updates to minimise the amount of updates they have to do.

From what I have read about Sky+, there seems to be a bit of intelligence built in regarding software updates. If a software update signal is received by the box while a recording is happening, then the box will ignore it. I think Sky resend the signal over a number of different times on different days.

If the box is not recording, it will get reset as normal.

That's pretty clever! And the box can still record as normal when it on standby as well.

There just seems to be very few software updates for Sky+ boxes (compared to regular digiboxes). Maybe that's a good thing!

A lot of people in the UK seem be dying for the "dual record" feature to be made available in a software update. We would be just happy if they made regular recording available to us!!

Shane - so you have two feeds going into your Sky+ box at the moment? (in anticipation!).

I have two feeds coming from my dish, but one is going into my other digibox at the moment (with a UK card). I'm not looking forward to running another cable around the house! :)

• Advertisement

Just one more thing I remembered...

...in the Sky+ advert in this months Sky mag down the bottom of the page it says that your Sky+ digibox must be connected to a phone line for 12 months.

This contradicts earlier reports saying that it may have to be connected for as long as you have the Sky+ recording features activated.

Originally posted by jdempsey
    Shane - so you have two feeds going into your Sky+ box at the moment? (in anticipation!).

I have two feeds coming from my dish, but one is going into my other digibox at the moment (with a UK card). I'm not looking forward to running another cable around the house! :)

I have four feeds coming into my living room, 2 for Sky+, 1 for another digibox (UK FTV) and 1 for terrestrial (Irish and snowy UK).

They are all going up into the attic, so I can connect whatever I want to them. I got the sky installer to connect all four outputs of the quad LNB up and leave them inside the attic. Means I can connect up whatever room in the house I want to with either a feed from the Sky boxes in the living room, or wire them up with their own box (I have a spare).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Originally posted by Tony
    I use a spectrum analyser which showsup problems the cheaper meter's dont although I'm sure they are fine for the majority of sky installs.

Tony

I'd like a spectrum analyser for lineup of RX/TX 1.3GHz repeater systems.. and various home made filters.

A spectrum analyser is min, really for professional installs as a satmeter won't show up problems.

If you haven't got a spectrum analyser, then a £20 analog needle meter + "knowing your job" is as good as a £250 meter.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Originally posted by watty
    I'
    A spectrum analyser is min, really for professional installs as a satmeter won't show up problems.

Indeed you're right. The "Sky Digital" meter I use is very easy to use, and unlike the older version which could only lock onto 28.2ºE, this one can also set a dish on Hotbird, Astra 1, etc. But as you say, it doesn't show up problems which itself can be a problem when trying to distinguish faults

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

I am cnvinced nowt hat the delay has been caused by a shortage of version 2 boxes- SIerra will have first call on these boxes and thats why they will do the installing here initially ( I was told this by a very cooperative Sky guy in Scotland). I have managed to get hold of a box in London and I've paid for it and its only comming into the shop today, so i booked one and i will collect next Mon. I have been on to quite a few places and they are all waiting for stock,and looking on the UK Satellite forums ,its the same story. I think when Sierra have been sorted with their supplies, then the Irish Sky agents will be sent stock. However i dont know how long this will take to get sorted- but there is light

• Advertisement

If this is the reason for the dealy then I will be really pissed off. There is no reason to stop people from recording if they have the box already. I am sure that they could explain the delay in getting the boxes to new customers. Why hold up those of us with the boxes already installed

Grrrrrrr :mad:

Originally posted by robert muldoon
    I am cnvinced nowt hat the delay has been caused by a shortage of version 2 boxes- SIerra will have first call on these boxes and thats why they will do the installing here initially ( I was told this by a very cooperative Sky guy in Scotland).

Completely untrue Robert this guy has lied to you. Sierra are doing the installs because Sky decided to cut out the retailers who have built up in SKy in ROI. The delay is caused by bad planning at the production facility but even if there was no delay Sierra would still be doing the "installs". I use inverted commas because soem of thier work cannot be described as proper installs.

Tony

Tony,

Is is just a delay with the sourcing of the boxes?

Originally posted by ShaneOC
    Tony,

Is is just a delay with the sourcing of the boxes?

Sorry Shane I dont understand your question.

Is it a technical delay with the introduction of the Sky+ features, or have they delayed it because there are no Sky+ boxes available?

Completely untrue Robert this guy has lied to you. Sierra are doing the installs because Sky decided to cut out the retailers who have built up in SKy in ROI. The delay is caused by bad planning at the production facility but even if there was no delay Sierra would still be doing the "installs". I use inverted commas because soem of thier work cannot be described as proper installs.

Tony

Installation is going to be much slower if Sierra do all the installs.
    Surly, its in Sky's interest to let the local boys do it or is there some disagreement between the Irish agents and Sky?
    What explanation is Sky giving to the Irish Agents? And why dont Sierra do all the installs for Sky Digital, like Finlays did in the past?

Anyway there's still a seroius shortage of boxes as I found out for myself

Originally posted by robert muldoon
    Anyway there's still a seroius shortage of boxes as I found out for myself

Even if there is a shortage of boxes that should not be a reason to delay the launch of the functionality.

God knows I have offered my services as a guiney pig with relation to Sky+ functionality enough times in the past. I think I feel another letter (email doesn't seem to work) coming on.

Complaining is good! :)

...and sometimes they listen.

I might give 'em a ring again for the laugh to see what they say this time.

On another note, nice to see more movie channels broadcasting in Dolby Digital on Sky+ boxes (sounds very nice indeed!).

Yes, I find that they do pay attention to written letters.

I'm also going to ring later to see what they say.

Listen loud :D

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Tony

I cannot understand why Sky bothered wiht Sky+ install training for independant installers, then decide not to use them.

Do Sierra cover all of the Republic? Or does Donegal get covered by a NI operator. I ask because I kinda know a guy who works for somebody does installs "on Sky's behalf" but he covers Derry City and other NI places also, as well as Donegal, etc. Maybe that is Finlays?

• Advertisement

Another fantastic saga of a phone call last night regarding Sky +.

Fisrt off, I rang the usual 1800 number and asked about it. The guy said that there was now a dedicated number for Sky+. He went looking for the number and came back with the 0818 number.

I dialed that number and was put through to a lady who told me that they were planning to launch it later in the month. I asked could she be more specific. She went off to get some information and came back and asked if I receive the magazine. I told her I did. She said that the date would be announced in there. I told her that it had already been announced for the 1st of June in the magazine. She went off (for more information) and when she came back she said that she had now been told that it was available and that she would pass me on to the correct department. After about ten minutes waiting she came back on the line and said that they were now saying the 10th of June.

I am really going to have to start recording these calls (well if Sky can record them for training purposes - then so can we. All we have to do is inform them).

Yep, tell them you are recording the call.

I used to work in the IT dept. of a huge call centre where we had the ability to record specific phone calls quite easily.

It will certainly make them think twice before feeding you a load of bull if you say the call will be recorded! :)

What's the 0818 number again?

Oh, I forgot the last little piece of the saga. She told me that there was a dedicated phone number to call for Sky+. I think the number she gave was 0818 719811 (check it though). I told her that that was the number that I had used to ring this time. She seemed amazed. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

Originally posted by ShaneOC
    Oh, I forgot the last little piece of the saga. She told me that there was a dedicated phone number to call for Sky+. I think the number she gave was 0818 719811 (check it though). I told her that that was the number that I had used to ring this time. She seemed amazed. :rolleyes:
    idiots!

If they cannot tell what number we dial in from, then maybe we should always use the 1800 number and say that we dialed the 0818 number.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

i think the 0818 no. is printed in the sky mag
    does anyone still have it?

Originally posted by dmeehan
    i think the 0818 no. is printed in the sky mag
    does anyone still have it?

Try this Nr: 0044 8705800800

The 0818 number is in the mag. That UK number is the premium rate number for Sky+ when dialing from the UK. You can get through to it from here, but they don't have any extra information.

I just called the 0818 number (goes straight through to customer services).

The first guy I spoke to was very helpful, he was going off to find out some more info - but when he put me on hold I got cut off!!

Next time I called, the guy was a little less helpful but did say that they got a brief this morning saying that it was delayed in Ireland, but will launch sometime in June (he would not confirm a date).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

I got an email from Sky today about Sky+
    The Sky+ set-top box costs 399.00 (EUR), standard installation is 75.00(EUR) for Sky digital subscribers. The Sky+ subscription costs 15.00 (EUR) a month for the recording facility and 20.00 (EURO) for your extra subscription for. Sky digital packages start from 19.00 (EUR) a month.

Please find package information below:

This is a direct quote i presume that the 20 eur is for the mirror sub
    The price in the UK at the moment is £199 for box
    £50 for install and £10 for Sky+ sub £15 for mirror sub
    £199 = approx 260 eur why the extra 130 eur
    the UK Sky+ sub= 13 Eur
    Do you think they will rip us off yet again

The email was signed Jessica Turner

Advertisement