Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky+ in Ireland: Now June 1st.

Options
  • 21-03-2003 3:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Noticed it wasnt posted on the board. According to Backchat on 999, Sky + will be in the ROI by end of April early May. Interested that it says they have recieved a LOT Of emails from Ireland about SKY+

So a bit of good news.

Dave

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i saw that today but i will not believe it until i see it. how many times have Sky said "it will be available by insert month here "

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Yep, but I think this is the first time they have actually publically said that it will be available here.

This is good news.

(so that bombardment of emails I sent them worked in the end!) :)

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

how much is it gonna be though? All we need is UTV and Channel 4 on Sky after that and NTL can kiss bye bye to my money and probably a lot more.

U don't need Sky+ to say goodbye to NTL - just get rid of them now & get an FTA card.

• Advertisement

I use NTL for recording while watching, the connection in the Bedroom and for UTV and Ch4. Also, I don't know anyone in the UK that could get a FTA card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Originally posted by jdempsey
    Yep, but I think this is the first time they have actually publically said that it will be available here.

Actually on backchat last year they said that it would be available in the Summer.

Fingers are still crossed...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

well early may is the start of summer:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Korg

Apologies if this has been asked already but when sky+ comes in will it mean that a second package identical to your existing one will only be 12quid (or whatever) extra? I'd be into the second package & a second digibox all right but i'm not too puched about sky+ itself.

puched -> pushed (damnit!)

• Advertisement

That's called having a mirror subscription - you don't need Sky+ to get that.

However, it is also not available in Ireland just yet.

That's called having a mirror subscription - you don't need Sky+ to get that.

However, it is also not available in Ireland just yet.

Cheers, any idea if they'll be bringing in this mirrored stuff when sky+ arrives?

It would make a lot of sense if they did as people getting Sky+ might want to move their existing digibox to another room and get a mirror subscription.

U should email them (skydigital@sky.com) or call them (1800 535 767) and ask them if mirror subs will be available in Ireland soon.

They must have some sort of system in place that records what people are contacting them about. Then the popular queries must get flagged for further attention or something.

Contact them - they do listen! :)

U should email them (skydigital@sky.com)

Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The think I don't like about mirrored is that BOTH digiboxes must be connected to phone.

Other than a couple of times to order box office my two boxes have never been phone connected.

I have a sub on only one of them and I may cancel it soon.

With BBC FTA soon and BBC/ITV/C4/Five FTV (free card if you have UK address) now, and all the other free channels, you 'd want a lot of spare money.

A "mirror" sub buys a DVD a month and a Full Sub 3 x DVDs or one expensive one...

The think I don't like about mirrored is that BOTH digiboxes must be connected to phone.

I've not connected my digibox to the phone at all either, ever. Is that only a requirement in the uk or will they bring it in here?
    A "mirror" sub buys a DVD a month and a Full Sub 3 x DVDs or one expensive one...

The mirror sub buys me unrestricted access to the digibox instead of having to share it with everyone else in the house, which sucks.

Originally posted by Korg
    I've not connected my digibox to the phone at all either, ever. Is that only a requirement in the uk or will they bring it in here?

It is a requirement in Ireland since around June last year for new accounts. I don't have mine connected as the phone socket is in a different room(like most people) and it's unsightly to have a wire trailing through the house.

It makes sense to require both boxes to be connected to the phone line when you have mirrored subs - otherwise there is nothing stopping you moving one of the digiboxes to a mates house where he can then get the full package for only £15 a month (or whatever the euro equivalent will be).

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭kevinmcc

Well according to this email I got from them on Wednesday we won't be seeing it for a while yet.

Dear Kevin

Thank you for your email to Backchat about the availability of Sky + and an extra digibox in the Republic of Ireland.

Firstly, please accept my apologies for the delay in responding.

The proposed launch of Extra Subscriptions and Sky+ into the Republic of Ireland, has had to be delayed.
    Due to various system limitations this is now expected towards the end of the year.

We apologise to all our Irish customers for this inconvenience.

Thank you for your interest in Sky.

Kind regards

Helen Forbes
    Viewer Relations

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Sky + is 5.1 on the movie channels and only certain movies.

Is there anything else about it worth getting??
    I dont record tv ever.

kdjac

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I dont record much either as programmes are repeated so often, especially on Sky with so many timeshifted channels, etc.

The only recording i make would be onto my HDD from Astra1 or Hotbird channels via my DVB card

Originally posted by kevinmcc
    Well according to this email I got from them on Wednesday we won't be seeing it for a while yet.

Dear Kevin

Thank you for your email to Backchat about the availability of Sky + and an extra digibox in the Republic of Ireland.

The proposed launch of Extra Subscriptions and Sky+ into the Republic of Ireland, has had to be delayed.
    Due to various system limitations this is now expected towards the end of the year.

Kind regards

Helen Forbes
    Viewer Relations

Dear Helen,
    Thank you for your reply.
    My proposed subscription has had to be delayed.
    Due to various system limitations, you may expect it towards the end of the year.
    I appoligise to Sky for the inconvenience.
    Thank you for your lack of interest in me.
    Kind regards
    Man
    potential customer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i would love to see their faces if they got a few emails like that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

Dear Kevin

Tony met some guy from Sky recently at a seminar. Would this guy enlighten us further- back to you Tony

Kind regards

Helen Forbes
    Viewer Relations

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

Dear Kevin

Kind regards

Helen Forbes
    Viewer Relations

Tony, prhaps you could help with this one- from your friend you met at Sky seminar recently

In todays Irish times there is a mention of Sky+.

It is in the "Business This Week" section, in an article about NTL dropping Sky Sports from it's anaolgue service. At the end of the article it says Sky hope to boost sales in Ireland with the launch of its Sky+ personal video recorder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭timpat

There is an interesting article about Sky + in the Satellite section of the Digital Spy site (too long to reproduce here!). It faetures a report of a meeting with the Sky + development team.

Below is a few lines from the article in relation to Sky+ in Ireland:

"Sky+ in Ireland – hopefully this will be available in a couple of months. There are no technical issues just systems ones – for example the Euro billing system didn’t have Sky+ as an option."

Originally posted by timpat
    There are no technical issues just systems ones – for example the Euro billing system didn’t have Sky+ as an option."

so it's taken this long just to add Sky + to the Euro billing system!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Perhaps they hoped Blair would join the Euro...

With BBC going FTA the non-Sky Digital Satellite receivers with Hard Disk and PC DVBs PCI cards just got more attractive.

No £10 p.m. surcharge!

Advertisement