Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Campbells Catering Monopoly

Options
  • 04-03-2003 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,080 ✭✭✭

campbells catering are rip offs, the food is cheap yeah right, its cheaper than downtown i'll give ya that but it's slop most of the time.

The way its campbells on both floors is appalling. There should be a different catering company on one of the floors, for a bit of competition.

Paying €2 for chips with a little mingin curry over them thats a joke, the chips at €1.60 thats a joke. they're not even nice.

The only nice meal I had was the guinness pie, that was decent. When the foot and mouth crisis was going on they put up the price on meat and stuff, no crisis now did they take the price down? answer is no.

I remember you could get a free can of mineral with ur meal the €4.40 one, but now u have to pay extra, thats a joke!

And what about the rolls what the fúck are they the tiniest bread rolls ever, there so small its criminal.

STOP THE MONOPOLY! ANYONE AGREE ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,896 ✭✭✭✭Stark

we have campbells in ucc as well. They're everywhere on campus (which has about 10 restaraunts). They're not even cheap any more, these days you pay about €5 for a piece of meat. I think it's a mighty empire that will never crumble these days though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Yup. As for charging for the ketchup? That is a f*ckin disgrace. In any greasy spoon in the wold that sh*t is free.:mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,080 ✭✭✭mada999

i used to work in guinness in dundalk and they were there too. they're evil and they know it. can they be stopped?

yeha the ketchup, even in mcdonalds its free and the vinegar!!!

They're in Oral B (or Anal B as the employees like to call it) in Newbridge aswell. My brother worked there and from the sounds of it it's worse and even more pricey up there!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

i'm hungry! :(

• Advertisement

I've a chewin gum left if that'd fill ya?!!!!!!!!!

But seriously, Maccy D's?

sound lets go!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Its not subsidised thus the price problem,
    Dinner here only costs me 2.16 everyday tis great:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Moonbeam
    Its not subsidised thus the price problem,
    Dinner here only costs me 2.16 everyday tis great:)

I work with moonbeam and the food here is great, tandoori chicken today for under 3 euro, yum!

We had Campbells in ITB, they were woful, they're in Tallaght too, never heard a good word about them ever. I worked part time in 3com when I was in college, and they had Campbells too, and strangely enough they were cheaper and nicer than in college, and this was on the night shift too!

They're cowboys!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

I mentioned this very thing to the student union pres' He told me that IT Carlow's canteen is rated the second best in the country and the food and prices can't be beat! When I asked why we couldn't have local catering from town (Sambadinos in the college would rock) on one of the floors he said that there wasn't enough space. This seemed a little odd, you could swing a bengal tiger in those kitchens.
    A few weeks after I was dismissed by the President someone told me that when the canteen building was build the students union was given a larger grant from the college in exchange for the not kicking up a fuss about Deans shop taking the place of the shop which was run by the Students Union.
    This profiteering is at out expense, everyone is giving out about fees comming in next year at the moment but when you try to ask about improving the quality of life for students and reducing daily costs incurred by being a student which is directly under control of the student union, nobody cares

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Redrocket

ive an upset stomach today ( couldnd sleep last night with it and cant eat or ill throw up ) and its from **** ****ING FOOD FROM ****HEADS IN THE CANTEEN. i know it was, everything else i ate yesterday was proper food except for some lousy chicken burger **** and soup from the canteen. the food wasnt even hot, it was warm. bastards. this was downstairs. upstairs is better but not 100%. ye bastards, make me sick! i'll ****in stab the whole lot of ye with a bread knife

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

afaik every college's catering in ireland is done by campbells.. I think they even do some of the asylum seekers little "villages" too :p

and a prison or two I heard as well..

prison food, yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Campbells Catering :: DIT Aung St :: Sausage, Beans and Chips @ E2.95 Throw in a Coke @ E1.00

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Originally posted by k.oriordan
    we have campbells in ucc as well. They're everywhere on campus (which has about 10 restaraunts). They're not even cheap any more, these days you pay about €5 for a piece of meat. I think it's a mighty empire that will never crumble these days though.

Agreed. A friend of mine paid €1.70 for a measly carton of greasy wedges that a dog probably sh@t on. If you want decent and cheap food in UCC your only option is to cart in a lunchbox with some sandwiches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Walking????? Fúck that!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Originally posted by ShayK1
    Walking????? Fúck that!
    Great thing about DIT, nearest off campus eaterie is 30 feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I thought when Gateway closed down.. nice one NO MORE CAMPBELLS FOR ME!!!

But feck it this place has them too!!! AGHHHH...... even more expensive and just as shíte but at least they do some decent rolls and stuff.. not quite O'Briens but not bad at all.. other than that its slop and recently gotten cheaper food (i.e smaller and lower quality white pudding) and MORE expensive at the same time.

typical muppetry...
    20c for a tiny butter
    20c for a slice of toast.

so 2 of each is 80cent!!!

holy crap and people were givin out about Snowballs sig!
    Look at Saruman's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Shh...... quiet... :D

Whats wrong with it anyway? I was asked to make my Tolkien image smaller once.. i did so and that was about all.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

I got curry chips and a pananni in the canteen earlier, I could not finish them. Not because I was full but because the more of the chips I ate the sicker I felt. I'm going to talk to JP about the quality of the food. It's doubtfull that they will reduce the price but at least they could give us decent food for the price we pay.

i regularly have to visit McDonalds instead of the Canteen!
    oh that hurts my pocket!

The reason mcD's hurts your pocket is that you have to buy half a ton of crap just to fill yourself.
    Go to supermacs or roadhouse for a good meal.

usually get a raod house breakfast on fridays to soak up the JD and coke!
    Might tasty i have to admit!

Who's going to scraggs for a little drink?

Now?? **** man i gotta go home first!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Snowball

Campbells Catering have a resturant in something like 90% of colleges in Ireland and they also have something like 50% of all office buildings that are big enough to hold a canteen. They have a compete monopoly.

I think that the college should bring in another company to compete.

I was also just think about what the SU president said to me about there being "no room" for another canteen. even if Campbells needed all the space they have (which they clearly don't) there's the whole area of the old canteen, it could be renivated easly and would have all the required plumbing and electric fittings necessary for a decient kitchen. The current Student Union management is rotten to the core and doesn't represent students in the college on small things like this because they are too busy lining their filthy little pockets whit the subsidity money they recieve with the management of the college who recieve money from the bribery of big business who screw us over daily. J.P Mc Ardle will do nothing but count his fat cash of corruption and laugh in our faces for being so stupid as to elect him in the first place! He must truly HATE us to screw us all over so bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭oneweb

Our current contracted foodstuff provider (not sure if it's still Campbell's) in Aungier Street is bloody awful. They charge you pretty much for every chip you get more than the quota. Java City bloke kicked up a stupid fuss when I took an extra cup (no no you can't take it, that's a waste, and he took it back - for fcukin €1.90 for a small hot chocolate I think they can spare a bloody paper cup) Then in the panini bar I was waiting aaaages so I took one myself. Only to be shouted at "OI! you're not to take them, we have to give you them. Health and Hygiene, he said" and a few weeks later when I took a roll yer wan told me not to do it again. And finally, you have to put ham slices on a seperate plate, a ceramic plate. Whatever. Until they weigh the feckin thing and charge you more than a €uro for a single slice of the stuff. I'm telling ya, they charge you for the plate. Next time I'll keep it!

I completely agree with someone's thoughts on different companies if there's more than one food area. The prices are outrageous, especially for students.

I always play 'hide the sachets' when I get ketchup. 16c for a bubble of air and a drop of red stuff? Lame.

Over the years, the college food has gone up in price and down in quality. Dramatically.

It is what it's.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement