Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Chinese Take Away in South Dublin?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭WhoseView: Michael

I would recommend Amerta Chinese Restaurant in Monkstown or China Schucan in Sandyford (used to be Stillorgan)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

It has been recommended on this board a number of times, but here's one more: Hilan on Capel Street is a very good authentic restaurant, that won't give you the 'Irish-Chinese' dining experience, that is so common from many Chinese restaurants the length and breadth of the country. Very reasonable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It has been recommended on this board a number of times, but here's one more: Hilan on Capel Street is a very good authentic restaurant, that won't give you the 'Irish-Chinese' dining experience, that is so common from many Chinese restaurants the length and breadth of the country. Very reasonable too.

It is simply the best. Real authentic food with no compromise for the bland Irish palette. Excellent and the staff are so so nice and friendly.

We took a gamble last Sunday and went to the new Chinese/Malaysian restaurant where Jade Garden (or was it Jade Palace) used to be. We walked out regretting it - bland white gloopy sauce - a throwback to the horrible old days of Chinese food in Ireland.

It's hard to beat the Hilan - or the Fortuna Sichuan on Parnell Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Sharlovesjohn

Has anyone tried yungs in dun laoghaire??

trying to find a nice chinese curry wise to suit me (not to spicy but rich) and my boyfriend's (nice and thick) tastes :D

thanks! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭diego ribas

EScent in Ballinteer (beside the Coach House) does very nice Thai stuff. The sit-down prices were crazy expensive, but the take-away or delivery was fairly reasonable.

Christ on a bike, India and Thailand are not regions of China!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭here2surf

Anybody tried Gong.
    It is supposed to have a chef and staff from the Szechuan that moved to Sandyford.
    As for Wongs, the waiting staff seem more intent on topping up your wine:confused: than bringing your food.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

Tried Gong shortly after it opened. Staff were very friendly, attentive and welcoming. My main was only ok, but that was more down to a bad choice on my part. Starter was nice enough if I remember correctly. Worth a look I would say, I'm planning a return visit myself.

On a side note eScent in Ballinteer is awful, the worst dining experience I've had in Dublin I would say. Very pricey and the most bland tasteless Thai red curry I've ever had. It really did taste like nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

dudara wrote: »
    It is simply the best. Real authentic food with no compromise for the bland Irish palette. Excellent and the staff are so so nice and friendly.

We took a gamble last Sunday and went to the new Chinese/Malaysian restaurant where Jade Garden (or was it Jade Palace) used to be. We walked out regretting it - bland white gloopy sauce - a throwback to the horrible old days of Chinese food in Ireland.

It's hard to beat the Hilan - or the Fortuna Sichuan on Parnell Street.

Tried this place recently, as a lover of authentic chinese food i have to say i was a little disapointed, it wasnt bad or anything but it just wasnt anyting special, they use to much salt also.
    I can cook a better Ma Po Tofu and Tung Choi in preserved bean curd and im not chinese.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

Theres a new chinese take away in rathgar across from Comans. I had it tonight and it was lovely. Although I cant guarantee it is MSG free.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 makalay

Mr.Canon wrote: »
    Hey, I know this is an old thread, but it's an important one as I've found it more than once whilst searching for takeaways...

Got to big up my realatively new local called 'TAK TAI' on Clanbrassil St (know that lil group of 4 takeaways on their own?) ...they're Thai/Asian and they're really big on flavour with none of the gloop. No cornstarch in any of their dishes me thinks, and that's a wonderful thing :)

Definite Thai buzz to their food... lots of heat, great masaman, my fav meal is called Pad-Prik (chilli garlic lime fish sauce & cashew nuts), pick your meal then pick your meat/tofu/veg to go with it. They're nice in there with genuine smiles, decent english and their delivery guy is sound too.

These guys stand out amongst the lazy, gloupy chineses that flood this part of town.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Tak-Tai
    http://www.taktai.ie/

Unit 1 Malpas Court,
    Clanbrassil Street Lower,
    Dublin 8
    T +353 (0)1 473 7202 +353 (0)1 473 6671
    customerservice@taktai.ie

;)

- the only duf thing i've had from them is the tempura prawns - 1st, it wasn't proper tempura batter, 2nd it was soft and gaky... just doesn't travel

just ordered form here, the worst I ever had, couldn't even eat it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

makalay wrote: »
    just ordered form here, the worst I ever had, couldn't even eat it.

Could you elaborate?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

just for any one who wants too know

the bamboo in ranelagh is closed since christmas... i tried getting it this evening and was so disapointed as it was my favourite chinese.... i had to get diep instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bimlico

here2surf wrote: »
    Anybody tried Gong.
    It is supposed to have a chef and staff from the Szechuan that moved to Sandyford.
    As for Wongs, the waiting staff seem more intent on topping up your wine:confused: than bringing your food.

Have been to Gongs twice. It's only OK. Nowhere near as good as the Sichuan in Stillorgan used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

New Land in Kilmainham, hands down -it's fabulous. Their noodles are just AMAZING. I'd eat two long trays of them just on their own.

ene wrote: »
    just for any one who wants too know

the bamboo in ranelagh is closed since christmas... i tried getting it this evening and was so disapointed as it was my favourite chinese.... i had to get diep instead!

I was so disappointed to see the Bamboo had closed. I had my very first Chinese meal from there way back in 1974 and I became a firm fan. Went there last Sept and it was as good as ever. Haven't been able to patronise it as much since I moved but I would always go back a few times a year for their spring rolls alone - mmmmmmm.

Thought it would last for ever. Anyone know where the people who ran it have gone? They were good.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Snake Pliisken

Feel kinda lost without the Bamboo, it's been my chinese since I was a babby. Been shopping around but everywhere seems to be over-salted muck.

Greatly appreciate any one with an alternative that rocks my mouth, suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Jay2011

Anise in Ballinteer is a very good choice

its food is lovely and it has its very own tapenyaki bar

food 10/10 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Jay2011 wrote: »
    Anise in Ballinteer is a very good choice

its food is lovely and it has its very own tapenyaki bar

food 10/10 :)

Recommendations from first-time posters will be treated with suspicion, Mr Anise.

IMHO, the food there is nice but very over-priced. Their take-away prices are decent.

Feel kinda lost without the Bamboo, it's been my chinese since I was a babby. Been shopping around but everywhere seems to be over-salted muck.

Greatly appreciate any one with an alternative that rocks my mouth, suggestions?

Well the Bamboo has reopened (June 2011) under the cunningly original name "The New Bamboo". Have tried it once and it seems to be just as good but you would need to check it out yourself. Sometimes when places like this open up, they are brilliant for a few months and then there is a deterioration. Remains to be seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Lees Kitchen Dalkey, my local. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 johnli10628

Tazz T wrote: »
    The Good View takeaway in Ringsend just over the bridge and on you way into Irishtown is of a very high standard.

yes you are right! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Good god, the op in this thread was 10 years ago. Amazing bumping skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 johnli10628

well, what more will i say?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

10 years and not one mention of Manley's in Ballybrack, for shame. Best take away EVER EVER

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I must try that one in Stillorgan sometime :)

Amerta in monkstown is very good.
    Lees Kitchen Dalkey, my local. :)
    My favourite Chinese take-away. Terribly expensive though
    10 years and not one mention of Manley's in Ballybrack, for shame. Best take away EVER EVER

Extremely friendly staff, good priced, decent food but far far from the best!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Ok, it's Thai not Chinese, but Camille is the best takeaway ever created.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

I remember Manley's when it was a mobile takeaway selling outside the Killiney SC

• Registered Users Posts: 8,008 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Thai style takeaways are taking over in popularity from Chinese in the last couple of years. Like Chinese takeaways the new batch of Thai places are all fairly similar too i.e. Camille, Kanum, Neon, Diep, Saba etc. I think the Chinese takeaways with their dated offerings can't compete with perceived freshness and quality of the Thai places.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Love this place, they're giving free Som Tom salad - it's a root vegetable version of a green papaya salad - with every main course bought this week. It's super zingy fresh and spicy, superb stuff. Am now officially gumming for some.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Nah, not at all the best! I started eating there as a young lad, then had a bad experience 10 yrs later....a shocking bad experience. I told G all about it, showed him and he flipped the lid and accused me of acting the bollox.
    RosieJoe wrote: »
    I remember Manley's when it was a mobile takeaway selling outside the Killiney SC

I remember Manleys when it wasn't Manley's...twas a burger joint. :)

Advertisement