Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom announce 512K DSL @55 euros

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭ando

nice to see eircom getting off their as$ finally. Unfortunally it means nothing to me as I cant get Dsl

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

They are actually planning to release a self-install package.. well ill be damned. Good news if it all pans out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Ardmore

Originally posted by Fungus
    It is misleading to say that the price is €55. It's €55 plus Line Rental at €19.60 = €75
    Not to put too fine a point on it, bollocks. Phone line coverage in this country is nearly universal. The number of people who will cancel their second phone line when they get ADSL will be far greater than the number of people who don't currently have a phone getting ADSL.
    Very few places in the world charge an extra line rental charge on top of DSL.
    Huh? They aren't charging an extra line rental. You're mixing this up with "Hi-Price", Eircoms ISDN product.
    DSL can be got for £12.99 in the UK (See the Top 10 low-cost DSL providers in .net magazine)

This is the net - how about a URL? You can't get DSL in the UK for £12.99/month.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭JTMan

Originally posted by Ardmore

This is the net - how about a URL? You can't get DSL in the UK for £12.99/month.

You can. see http://www.freedial.biz/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Not to put too fine a point on it, bollocks.

Do you have to be quite so arrogant all the time?

Phone line coverage in this country is nearly universal. The number of people who will cancel their second phone line when they get ADSL will be far greater than the number of people who don't currently have a phone getting ADSL.

Completely aside from the fact that hardly anyone I know has a second line, that's Eircom's loss, not the users. The user still has to pay "€55 plus Line Rental at €19.60 = €75", as Fungus said.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭JTMan

Thanks Adam.

If you get broadband via NTL in the UK the broadband cost INCLUDES line rental.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭MDR

Do you have to be quite so arrogant all the time?

I thougt he was following your lead ? :D

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Completely aside from the fact that hardly anyone I know has a second line[/B]
    And how many people do you know that don't have any phone line at all, but are interested in Broadband?
    The user still has to pay "€55 plus Line Rental at €19.60 = €75", as Fungus said.
    Fungus said that they had to pay €19.60 extra. It's not extra if they're already paying it! It looks like he/she is confusing ADSL with "Hi-Price".

If you get broadband via NTL in the UK the broadband cost INCLUDES line rental.
    NTL is a cable modem service, not ADSL. You can switch your phone service over to your cable service, but if you get telephone and internet you pay more than just for internet alone.

Even in Ireland, NTLs cable modem service wipes the floor with Eircom on price in the tiny area that it's avaiable. But NTL don't have an obligation to deliver a cable to everyones door, as Eircom do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

Where can you get DSL in the UK for GBP13?

Where in Europe can you get DSL withou an existing phone line?

You never call anyone? Or you use a mobile (and you're complaining about line rental?

Nope, you have to pay €55 on top of your line rental - the €55 is optional, the line rental isn't!

https://secure.worlddomain.ws/freedial/shop/product_info.php?products_id=69&osCsid=8f8e2e9d1935cde93a25efb99ea77ff1

for £12.99 , added on october 2002, still valid to my knowledge

i think you're getting my second point mixed up ardmore, im not saying you can get dsl without a line, im saying when you are using a sole line, the price they quote you is line rental included

for example bt's £30 pound package enables all the extras like web space etc.. you do not however pay extra for line rental, its included, considering the line is solely for the net

please correct me if i'm wrong
    You never call anyone? Or you use a mobile (and you're complaining about line rental?

?? i don't know what you're saying there

but line rental is terribly expensive , if you want to use their services , they charge you for the line that has to be put in to use their services,

there should be some compromise surely,

i just got my bill today and with tax, its €39

so the guts of €20 a month first of all before you use a service,

internet or phone

i just think its very pricey,

and that sets dsl out of reach for me @ €75 (per month-with vat)

if its €55 including line rental , that could be a different story

but somehow i don't think so :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Hmmm... I'm with UTVip's telephony offering at the moment via ISDN (30 Euro/month) on the 150 Hr offpeak package.

Download rate: 26Mb / Hour x 150 Hours = 3900 Mb

That is just for downloads, if Eircom intends a reasonable cap for something that is much faster than a 64K ISDN connection then I think 4Gb is a bit on the slim side. That is you must account for the Web page graphics... everything... in that cap. Important when a speedy connection can fly through that cap. An 8Gb cap would be appropriate considering you are paying more per month.

But if true, it does start moving the wheels.... gosh flat rate!

You can. see http://www.freedial.biz/

Interesting. The page says "Each plan has a limited number of accounts so signup now to guarantee your package", and I can't find any mention of it on any of the UK ISP reviews I checked - is this vapourware, or are there people actually getting this pacakge?

Reviews here and here

The Register also had this to say about Freedial last September

Originally posted by theciscokid
    https://secure.worlddomain.ws/freedial/shop/product_info.php?products_id=69&osCsid=8f8e2e9d1935cde93a25efb99ea77ff1 for £12.99 , added on october 2002, still valid to my knowledge
    See my comments on Freedial above.

i think you're getting my second point mixed up ardmore, im not saying you can get dsl without a line, im saying when you are using a sole line, the price they quote you is line rental included.They don't sell "sole" lines- ADSL is a service added to your existing voice service, over your existing voice line.

for example bt's £30 pound package enables all the extras like web space etc.. you do not however pay extra for line rental, its included, considering the line is solely for the net

please correct me if i'm wrong

The Terms & Conditions clearly state that the service "Requires a BT line" - you can't get ADSL if you're not already paying for a BT line.

?? i don't know what you're saying there
    but line rental is terribly expensive,

I won't argue with that!!

if you want to use their services , they charge you for the line that has to be put in to use their services,

there should be some compromise surely,

There is - your phone calls are cheaper than they would be if you weren't paying line rental! (You don't think the ESB uses 11c worth of oil to generate 1 kwh of exectricty, do you? You pay for the infrastructure too).

so the guts of €20 a month first of all before you use a service,
    internet or phone i just think its very pricey,

and that sets dsl out of reach for me @ €75 (per month-with vat)

No! Your phone bill now is €39. With ADSL, it'll be €94. That's only an increase of €55.

if its €55 including line rental , that could be a different storyYou need a phone line to get ADSL. ADSL costs €55, most people already have a phone line.

You can't use your ADSL connection without electricity or a computer either - should we include the price of them in ADSL too?

ahhhhh i see, i thought that bt package would include line rental etc..

what do britains get charged a month for line rental

but
    No! Your phone bill now is €39. With ADSL, it'll be €94. That's only an increase of €55.

that €39 is bi-monthly

so it'll be €75

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

This line rental thing has to stop now.

Line rental is expensive in Ireland, very expensive. Ireland has expensive DSL. These are two seperate issues.
    so the guts of €20 a month first of all before you use a service, internet or phone
    Yes, its what you pay eircom for the use of that copper line coming into your house. Whatever you choose to use it for it does not matter a jot, but you must rent that line every month.
    i just think its very pricey, and that sets dsl out of reach for me @ €75 (per month-with vat)

The line rental IS pricey, but dsl will cost you an EXTRA 55 a month. DSL does NOT cost you €75 a month. You are paying €20 of that even if you just look at your phone all day.
    if its €55 including line rental , that could be a different story but somehow i don't think so
    That would make it €35 euro and then we would be in line with a lot of european countrys. But your phone line would still cost almost €20.

Again , i just cannot understand why people are lumping these two issues together, they are two seperate issues.

Ardmore, I see your point now, I completely missed it earlier. Too much information today. Jumping down people's throats doesn't help though.

adam

what do britains get charged a month for line rental
    I'm not sure, but from this it looks like GBP36.86 per quarter comes to €18.50 a month! (That can't be right, can it?)
    that €39 is bi-monthly

Hold on a second - are you saying that you've got a phone line that you don't use, and you pay €20 a month for it? You get a bill from eircom for €39.20, and you just pay it, even though you never make or receive calls?

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Ardmore, I see your point now, I completely missed it earlier. Too much information today. Jumping down people's throats doesn't help though.

I wasn't trying to jump down anyones throat, but, like dustaz, this issue of adding the line rental to the cost of ADSL is wearing a bit thin. It's not as if it hasn't been addressed before. Unlike Hi-Price, where you do have to pay for an extra line, (a pure scam, but you know that) ADSL works on your existing line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

de Rebel noted
    Its a bit suspicious that they are not answering. Usually they staff up for a day like today. Why did they send the staff home early. I wonder if there is something we are not being told..............

yeah, they were sent into a meeting at 4.30 to get their ducks in a row. Someone from ESAT complained to Comreg about Eircom staff promising and taking orders for March deliveries

M

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

• Advertisement

I'm not sure, but from this it looks like GBP36.86 per quarter comes to €18.50 a month! (That can't be right, can it?)

Hold on a second - are you saying that you've got a phone line that you don't use, and you pay €20 a month for it? You get a bill from eircom for €39.20, and you just pay it, even though you never make or receive calls?

erm - just use the line for the net, no phone or anything , why?

do i get a reduction?

erm - just use the line for the net, no phone or anything , why?
    Is this the only phone line in the house? How much are you paying in phone calls to access the 'net?

If you have 2 phonelines (one for the net only, one for everyone else to use), you can get rid of the 'net only phone and save the line rental on that line.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Not to put too fine a point on it, bollocks

Put too fine a point on it. There's no excuse for being curt to the point of abusive with another poster.

(incidentally I have one phone line - and it was installed purely for the Net)

Drop it - from one perspective it's an effective extra, from another it isn't. If you feel like starting a new thread arguing the toss, feel free - it's just hijacking this one. Any further "yes you do, no I don't" posts in this thread will just be deleted by me. Call it censorship if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i'm very confused now and want someone to spell it out for me, if i get this dsl package on my existing phone line will the parents be paying for another line rental? if not will it block up the phone line with my internet usage? cheers data

p.s got a phonecall survey yesterday about internet usage and prices dial-up, flat rates, isp's etc interestingly enough one of the questions was would i pay €45 euro for a adsl connection with eircom per month, (no mention of vat) i thought it was a pipe dream to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Synkronite

Dataisgod, if you get ADSL you will -NOT- have to pay line rental for an extra line. It works on your existing line. Also you can talk on the phone while browsing at the same time -- http://www.howstuffworks.com/dsl . This is not to be confused with ISDN which advertises the same "talk and browse at the same time" ISDN uses dual-channels, where one channel connects online at 64Kbps and the other can also be used to connect (to make your speed 128Kbps) or to make phone calls. ADSL uses the same phone line, different frequency ranges I believe.

I think it would help if posters would be more constructive instead of resorting to any lame attempts to moan about every little thing. This whole "Oh its really €70+ per month for ADSL" is absolute crap.

I didnt hear anyone complain about Netsmart as being "So much for linerental PLUS so much for Netsmart's xxx hours"

Some people will just not give anything a chance. No matter how much people complain, they should understand that atleast Eircom has taken a step in the right direction. Atleast we know that by Spring we'll all be able to get ADSL at 50% of what they were before.

Sure IOFFL will continue its job to get cheap affordable access. But affordable is a relative term. But for the meantime let's not bring up meaningless rants that serve no purpose but add unneccessary length to posts and cause confusion to others.

Thanks.

JWTThe Register

FYI, that's actually the ENN story. They have a content sharing agreement. Good to see it reach a wider audience though.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

What about the 1mb/s option... is that halfed too. Cause I don't want a cap at all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭corkey

Wont take it, Just because they screwed us for years on diallup why ?Feck there the same company they fecked there shareholders, Does that say something ? :mad: Well done UTVIP you have shaken there base but more has to be done like line rental for what :mad: line rental for what ?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

Nice work all. Can't imagine there would be any developments had it not been for IOFFL!!

What i fear will happen is that eircom will make the wholesale price just below the offer price, say wholesale of €40.... and tell comreg that the margin will be made by actually enforcing the cap.

That allows for say €5 for bitstream profit for other operators. Thus protecting Eircoms virtual monopoly.

Bitstream really is the way to go I reckon, it's worked well in the UK. By offering a very tight margined wholesale price, there will be few OLO's running bitstream DSL

I could be wrong of course :)

p.s. apologies for my silence lately! Up the walls!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Correct me if I'm taking you up wrong here Tim but from what's been posted here already there are a lot of people who would pay a small premium over Eircom's price to get rid of the cap. If this happens then the extra €5/10 euro paid for capless dsl will be profit, no?
    Charging €50 retail for a €40 wholesale product = a 25% markup. That doesn't sound too shabby to me.

Advertisement