Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom announce 512K DSL @55 euros

Options
  • 23-01-2003 2:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭

Eircom's press release:

eircom to halve cost of broadband DSL access
    New mass market low cost product available from March 2003

Issued Thursday 23 January 2003: eircom today announced plans to introduce a new mass market low cost broadband DSL service from March 2003. The new low cost product will operate at speeds up to 512 kilobits per second and will be available in self install or eircom install versions. eircom said it would introduce the new product at a target retail price of �45 per month (excluding VAT) subject to regulatory approval. eircom has notified ComReg of its plans and will now focus on finalising the full price detail including pricing of the wholesale bit-stream equivalent. Consultation will now take place with ComReg and the industry to introduce the new low cost product at the earliest possible date, with a target of March 2003 at the latest.
    In April 2002 eircom launched its �125 million rollout of broadband DSL. To-date a total of 700,000 telephone lines have been DSL enabled and this figure will increase to one million by December 2003.
    Commenting on the announcement, Phil Nolan, Chief Executive eircom said:
    �Today�s development, coupled with our significant investment in deployment of DSL technology will provide a major impetus to broadband in Ireland. Our new self-install product is competitively priced and compares very favourably with countries throughout the EU. We recognise the importance of broadband to the Irish economy and we are very pleased to demonstrate our commitment in leading the drive for broadband through today�s announcement. Our roll-out plan will extend to one million lines nationwide by the end of this year and will include all of the towns included in the government�s national spatial strategy. We will deliver a wholesale offering to competing telecommunications operators, including our own retail business, to provide the new self-install DSL service to their customers�.
    eircom's DSL roll-out currently extends to 70 telephone exchanges and this will increase to approximately 110 exchanges by December 2003.
    This will equate to one million telephone lines covering the greater Dublin commuter area, provincial cities and large provincial towns. It will also cover all towns included in the government�s national spatial strategy. By September 2004 the roll-out will extend to approximately 150 exchanges covering towns throughout Ireland with more than 2000 telephone lines.
    eircom i-stream DSL increases the speed of internet access by up to 30 times, bringing high bandwidth to customers over ordinary copper telephone lines. It is a service that is always on and connected, eliminating the need to dial up for access and connect and disconnect from the internet. Customers can also access the internet and use the telephone simultaneously using the same telephone line. To avail of eircom i-stream DSL, customers must have a standard fixed telephone line, exchange coverage, and computer equipment that reaches the minimum required specification.
    - Ends -
    Issued by:
    Nuala Buttner
    Press Officer
    eircom
    Tel: 01 701 5554
    Mobile: 087 235 2165
    E-mail: nbuttner@eircom.ie

For further information contact:
    Gerry O�Sullivan
    Director, Corporate Relations
    eircom
    Tel: 01 701 5632
    Mobile: 087 259 7644
    E-mail: gosullivan@eircom.ie

Notes to Editor:
    eircom�s new mass market DSL broadband product, is �rate adaptive�, i.e. offering speeds up to a maximum of 512k/128k and a minimum of 256k/64k. However the majority of customers who avail of the new product can expect to get the 512k/128k speed. A monthly download limit of 4 gigabytes also applies.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Tw

Anyone listening to news@1? minister is talking about eircom announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Wow.

33% cap increase.

cry

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by SkepticOne

Notes to Editor:
    eircom�s new mass market DSL broadband product, is �rate adaptive�, i.e. offering speeds up to a maximum of 512k/128k and a minimum of 256k/64k. However the majority of customers who avail of the new product can expect to get the 512k/128k speed. A monthly download limit of 4 gigabytes also applies.

RADSL????!!!!

Theres hope for a LOT of people who failed the test if thats true.

The pricing seems to be quite waffley, anyone know The Bottom Line?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

only 110 exchanges ?
    I though there were several hundred in ireland

what all of us in the west
    we want broadband as well

there a lot of smaller towns in the west near big cities that have high concentrations if IT workers but we are all stuck on crappy 56k for ever and ever

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo. They imposed the cap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

So they are releasing the wholesale product first, and reckon we'll have the retail version by March/April. That gives UTV/Esat/Whoever plenty of time to have their own products sorted :) No mention of the wholesale price there though.

Originally posted by Tazz T

You sound surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

is it RADSL , is it , is it - it must be? Install costs? etc etc......feed me facts please! I hate the eircom Media machine!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

A monthly download limit of 4 gigabytes also applies.

I hope there will be a corresponding increase in the cap on all of the existing i-stream connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by pete
    Doesn't that contradict the recent post here that said that there were no plans to enable any more exhchanges this year?

In any event, DSL is already available in my exchange (Blanchardstown). Unfortunately my house is too far away from it and I've failed the line test. An eircom engineer told me that there's another DSL-enabled exchange in Damastown industrial estate (sometimes called Clonee exchange), which is actually nearer to me than Blanch, but I think that's just for the industrial estate itself.

What i'm saying is that for me and the thousands upon thousands of people who've bought houses out here, it looks like no amount of cost cutting or waiting for up to 20 months is going to get us DSL.

Doing my besst to take on board spirit of optimisim which Dustaz is wearing today, there may be hope for you:

Eircom recently did a comprehensive review of its future strategy in relation to network services. In the DSL area, it has beeen decided to focus on two products, ADSL and SHDSL, to the exclusion of all other possibilities. Expect a SHDSL service in the mid term. (This will require updrading/replacement of the existing DSLAMS.) This will offer connectivity to double, possibly 3 times the current distaance from the exchange, depending on the max speed required. It is likely that 512K will be offered to about 5km and 256 to about 6km subject to the quality of your copper and a line test. The downside is that it will be branded differently to i-stream, which is marketing speak for higher prices.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Andor

"Eircom will not upgrade 950 exchanges, thats 87% of all the exchanges in Ireland before September 2004 at the earliest"

Phew, for second there i thought Eircom were making an effort.
    what a relief.

Originally posted by De Rebel
    It is likely that 512K will be offered to about 5km and 256 to about 6km subject to the quality of your copper and a line test. The downside is that it will be branded differently to i-stream, which is marketing speak for higher prices.

Doesn't that tally with what's been announced today? RADSL; 256 to 512 speed; branded differently?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

4gb cap is better than a 3gb cap and judging by current standards they arent very anal about how they charge for it.

I was just onto a very pleasant woman (refraining from the b word here, she was so nice) who couldnt really expand on the press release but confirmed that the target retail would be €45 EX vat. so thats about €54 ?

OT i know, but isn't quoting ex-vat prices for consumer products illegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

great news... hopefully if this does go through, esatBT will lower their prices/increase their cap/speed on their residential product..

Originally posted by pete
    Doesn't that tally with what's been announced today? RADSL; 256 to 512 speed; branded differently?

The SHDSL product will be a premium product - the main focus will be on the higher speeds it can offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Wait for the bitstream resellers. The wholesale bitstream service will not have a cap. It is up to the ISP to impose a cap or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Ardmore

Eircom's press release:
    introduce the new product at a target retail price of €45 per month (excluding VAT)

Acck!!! Right, who do I _formally_ complain to about quoting Retail prices "ex-VAT". Is there an ombudsman for this sort of thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but RADSL works on the theory that the signal/speed deteriorates the further away you are from the exchange and is affected by the quality of the copper wire. The upside is the catchment area is increased, the downside is a higher contention ratio.

But isn't the upper speed threshold quoted by eircom the lowest RADSL runs at. I read that it ran at much faster speeds.

Originally posted by Ardmore
    Acck!!! Right, who do I _formally_ complain to about quoting Retail prices "ex-VAT". Is there an ombudsman for this sort of thing?
    Director of Consumer Affairs is the nearest I can think of. Don't know how useful they would be in this case.

• Advertisement

Ahhh it's not an advert, it's not for sale in a shop, but (from www.odca.ie) :
    Goods are on sale in a shop and the prices displayed are not inclusive of VAT ?

Under the Prices and Charges (Tax Inclusive Statement) Order, 1973 all prices, either displayed or quoted, should be tax inclusive.

However, in certain shops, such as machinery Hire Shops, it may not be a breach of the Act to show tax-exclusive prices. This is because such shops are not exclusively aimed at consumers (i.e. they also deal with sales to particular trades).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but RADSL works on the theory that the signal/speed deteriorates the further away you are from the exchange and is affected by the quality of the copper wire. The upside is the catchment area is increased, the downside is a higher contention ratio.
    I don't think Eircom are correct in this press release. They seem to be implying that the the system will adapt to different rates (e.g. during peak times the rate will fall). This would be the case with any form of contended DSL.

But isn't the upper speed threshold quoted by eircom the lowest RADSL runs at. I read that it ran at much faster speeds.

RADSL isn't really another xDSL, its a varient of ADSL that uses a rate adaptive modem. Think of it being like your 56K modem stepping its way down to 14.4 cause the line is sh1te.

AFAIK most of the xDSL can incorporate RADSL, it simply means that they adapt the speed to suit the line condition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

http://www.asai.ie/codes_2002/2.html
    2.39 Except in advertisements addressed exclusively to the trade, prices quoted should normally include VAT and other taxes, duties or inescapable costs to the consumer. Where applicable, the amounts of any other charges such as those arising from the method of purchase or payment should be stated.
    They could get away with it on the grounds a press release isn't an advertisement under the ASAI's definition. However, if you see an ad on TV or in a newspaper quoting €45, you definitel;y have grounds for a complaint.

Eircom's press release:

Is this available on the web anywhere? The "About Eircom" page on www.eircom.com says "Sorry This page is currently unavailable" (!!!!) at the moment.

Originally posted by Meh
    http://www.asai.ie/codes_2002/2.html They could get away with it on the grounds a press release isn't an advertisement under the ASAI's definition. However, if you see an ad on TV or in a newspaper quoting €45, you definitel;y have grounds for a complaint.

I know it's only a press release. But they're getting the "free advertising" that comes when the press release is regurgitated in the press.

They don't have to be breaking the law to get a reap on the knuckles from the ODCA. A public statement that this practice is not acceptable would cost them even more bad publicity than the good publicity they get from getting the €45 price lodged in peoples heads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

This is the page for the press releases:

http://mmm.eircom.ie/about/PressReleases/pressrelease.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Andor

You HAVE to love the press release page on eircom's site

*refresh*
    *refresh*
    *taps monitor*
    *alt + f4*

• Advertisement

This
    http://mmm.eircom.ie/about/PressReleases/pressrelease.aspone doesn't have a session ID.

It also doesn't have a Press Release about a new broadband product. Surprise, surprise - a telecoms company that can't get it's own website act together!

Advertisement