Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW SKY CARDS(latest information)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,409 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The suspense will kill me. I wish some would ring Sky and ask them.!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I hope no one does!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

Wont the FTV cards be sent to the address where the TV lience holder lives? ie the guy you bought your card from:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭rovingrover

>>>
    Also the FTV card will most likely come before the ROI sub card should i hold out activating the new card FTV card incase it only6 allows one card one box.
    >>>>

Probably safe enough to go ahead activating the FTV card first unless you are going down the 2nd digibox route.

My understanding at the moment is

1) It is no longer possibly to get a FTV card married to an existing Irish sub box (they now cross check the databases).

2)Replacement FTV cards may or may not work alongside an existing Irish sub as both may be automatically married to the same box. We don't know yet if the software can detect more than one card.

Either way you're probably safe enough activatign the FTV card as you can always get your Irish sub activated at a alter date and choose to lose the FTV card if the worst happens.

BTW it also appears that they've been less prolific in sending out the FTV cards over recent days - maybe due to the problems experienced. So far only the west of Scotland and Cornwall according to the message boards in UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Leesider

Can anyone hazard a guess as to what will happen to FTV cards that were activated a good while ago, and did not need serial numbers etc. given to have them activated?

Should the new card self-activate, or will all those people who never had to give box details now have to go through this new procedure?

• Advertisement

yeah must get on to my cousin to forward it on to me when he gets it.

If Sky hurry sending them out to the manchester area i might have it by the 21st feb as my cousin brother is coming over.

i think i will hang about till my irish sky sub comes before activating it.

i would not like to ruin viewing and then try to phone sky and explain what happened. Can imagine them saying sure we will fix the problem considering i broke the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I know this guy who has a NI sub running on his box in Dublin, any thoughts on how this will effect him?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Originally posted by MrPudding
    I know this guy who has a NI sub running on his box in Dublin, any thoughts on how this will effect him?

I dont think he'll have a problem. I assume he has contact with the people who live at the NI address. I also assume he doesnt have an ROI sub also?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭mossie

1) It is no longer possibly to get a FTV card married to an existing Irish sub box (they now cross check the databases).

I got a FTV card from West-sat yesterday and it has now been paired to my box which has an existing Irish sky sub. BBC1 isn't available yet but all the rest are fine, as is my own card.

Mossie

Hi Mossie,

did your card have the new 'house' logo on it, or was it one of the old standard blue ones?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I didnt realise that Westsat were still selling FTV cards. Fair play to them! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Mossie,

What ITV region do you get on 103 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭mossie

did your card have the new 'house' logo on it, or was it one of the old standard blue ones?

Yes it's one of the new cards, dark blue with the 'house'
    What ITV region do you get on 103 ?

West Country. West sat are somewhere in Devon, I think.

Mossie

Well if Mossie's new card with the 'house' on it works on a subbed ROI box, that's contradictory to what was mentioned earlier in this post, regarding cross-checking of databases.

Interesting to see if more new cards work okay, though.

We should know soon enough!

I bet ireland will be last to get them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭arkles

my FTV card, new (with the house) works great, no problem swooping it with a ROI sky sub card

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

Originally posted by irishgeo
    I bet ireland will be last to get them.

Just remember FTV Cards ar'nt meant for Rep Of Ireland

Public Health Warning!

Ok, so it looks like the New FTV cards work with the existing Sky subs cards.

Just a reminder, folks, that no one knows **yet** will the new sub cards work with either the existing or new FTV cards.
    If the new sub cards do require phone line activation...... :confused::confused:

I wont be ordering any FTV cards until I know for certain.

DMC just a thought ,is there too much talk about FTV cards on these boards ?, I hope the wrong people dont read these posts, maybe all messages about FTV cards in ROI be erased ? what do you think, also would it be better for ppl to pm each other about FTV cards rather than publically on the boards, also with too many ppl ordering FTV cards could there be a possibility that BBC/SKY could cop onto it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

They can't do very much about it, because the UK government directive states that Digital access to all BBC and terrestrial channels has to be free and easily accessible to UK residents.
    If they start putting serious limitations on the cards, Blair and Co. will be none too happy.

• Advertisement

Fair enough carrolls but if sky etc cop onto the fact the FTV cards are coming to ROI will they not do more checks on where the cards are going to, ie serial no's. Im sure westsat dont know what hit them in the last week or so :). for everbody on these board has friends/family, im sure that they have been relayed about the presence of westsat, so 1 person on the board = 20+ FTV cards (approx)

Originally posted by robert muldoon
    Just remember FTV Cards ar'nt meant for Rep Of Ireland

I meant the Irish Sub Cards.

Originally posted by arkles
    DMC just a thought ,is there too much talk about FTV cards on these boards ?, I hope the wrong people dont read these posts, maybe all messages about FTV cards in ROI be erased ? what do you think, also would it be better for ppl to pm each other about FTV cards rather than publically on the boards, also with too many ppl ordering FTV cards could there be a possibility that BBC/SKY could cop onto it.

Me and ICDG have often discussed it, about how to cover this issue. Because of its grey area nature, there is nothing that can be done to stop people doing it.

I said this once already in another thread, its a bit like getting cheap kerosene in Crossmaglen.

But the only people who will have it handy are the ones who have an FTV box and card. Me thinks card swapping is dodgy, because all could take is one software download or the new cards to kill it stone dead.

I don't want to be a harbinger of doom, but I think card swapping days are drawing to a close. And soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by arkles
    if sky etc cop onto the fact the FTV cards are coming to ROI

do you really think Sky don't know that FTV cards are rampant in this country :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭rovingrover

I don't think Sky care too much.

People get FTV cards to mainly watch ITV, Channel 4 & Five. Most probably have a Sky sub as well. Otherwise people may go to NTL or
    Chorus (although Sky probably know how incompetent they both are).

Sky are really only losing to the people who have a FTV card here and not sub however how many of them would take a sky sub if they lost the FTV service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Woodsy

Was chatting to a customer service rep yesterday, apparently we in ROI will be getting our new cards last !

just like i said further up in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭WalkOn

forgive the ignoramce but what is FTV card?

I refer the honorable gentleman to the FAQ thread. Its in there. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭jez

In reference to the earlier point about us in Ireland being the last to get the new cards- whats the big deal?? The new card will slot in to the box and give you exactly what you're already getting-
    whoopee. We're all legal sky subscribers so no big deal.

The important issue here is that all the cards get distributed fast in the UK/Ireland and then the black market can resume normal activity whether you want an ex Sky sub box or FTV Card.

What areas have got cards so far--- any takers???

Advertisement