Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW SKY CARDS(latest information)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Robert

Originally posted by magaiver
    why you called them?the new cards become active without calling sky

I rang because for some strange reason the card they sent me was for my old digi box even though I changed my old card to my new box a long time ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭rovingrover

Thanks watty - I already have a 2nd Digibox as you suggested however I have 2 FTV cards - one permanently in the other box and one that I swop as required.

I still like the convenience of having ITV, Channel 4 & Five downstairs as well. I suppose I could get another box. I could live without the EPG on the FTV card though as I don't use it too often.

>>>>>
    I rang because for some strange reason the card they sent me was for my old digi box even though I changed my old card to my
    new box a long time ago.
    >>>>>

I assume by this that the new cards are already paired to a box and not to the first box they are inserted in. This has further implications for FTV card users.

Makes it harder to swop those cards. I had been hoping to swop and english and a Scottish card.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I did a Sky install today and the customer had the new viewing card. He was the first person I seen with the new card. It's a darker blue with Sky's logo of a house and dish. Was mildly worried that it wouldnt' activate but it did.

Which brings me to another thing

FAO Tony, did you encounter problems activating cards during December? I had quite a few which would not finish callback process, and Sky will now not activate the cards any other way anymore. I assumed that the servers were busy or something or else a problem with Panny boxes (though I doubt it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭TinMan

Saw an ad on Sky One Mix last night for the new Sky Cards so hopefully we will all get them soon.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by irishbyte

FAO Tony, did you encounter problems activating cards during December? I had quite a few which would not finish callback process, and Sky will now not activate the cards any other way anymore. I assumed that the servers were busy or something or else a problem with Panny boxes (though I doubt it).

Yes I did indeed have more problems than usual with callback, I put it down to excessive server load. What did sky say when you asked for manual switch on?

Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

quote:

Does this mean that the replacement FTV cards need phone line activation?.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Replacement FTV cards don't need a phone line but there is a concern that it may be one crad per box after the upgrade so existing FTV cards won't work in a Sky sub box.

Fine if your fTV card is in a separate box but otherwise it will be a real pain.
    Wiating with baited breath for an answer here but no sign of either of my FTV cards yet - East of Scotland and London.

Good link greenman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

Originally posted by TinMan
    Saw an ad on Sky One Mix last night for the new Sky Cards so hopefully we will all get them soon.:confused:
    theres a section in the new mag this month, but it says it could take a few months before everyone gets their new cards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭sergeant121

Originally posted by rovingrover
    Replacement FTV cards don't need a phone line but there is a concern that it may be one crad per box after the upgrade so existing FTV cards won't work in a Sky sub box.

Fine if your fTV card is in a separate box but otherwise it will be a real pain. Wiating with baited breath for an answer here but no sign of either of my FTV cards yet - East of Scotland and London.
    Picked this up on the alt.satellite.tv.europe Newsgroup this afternoon:
    Well this confirms that the FTV cards are also being replaced. Got mine this morning and wait for it will ONLY work with the correct version number and serial number. I rang the FTV help line and gave them my correct set top box details and surprise surprise "Sorry that set top box is active in ROI."
    So it looks like the ROI "one subscription and one UK FTV card" loophole has been plugged - by the sharing of data between the Sky and FTV databases?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Originally posted by sergeant121
    So it looks like the ROI "one subscription and one UK FTV card" loophole has been plugged - by the sharing of data between the Sky and FTV databases?

I dont understand how this plugs any loophole. Your sub card will be for your box AND your replacement FTV card will come married to your box also hopefully and therefore they should still both work.

Wheres the plug???

Well this confirms that the FTV cards are also being replaced. Got mine this morning and wait for it will ONLY work with the correct version number and serial number. I rang the FTV help line and gave them my correct set top box details and surprise surprise "Sorry that set top box is active in ROI."

This was the case for the last year although it was more random. (Asking for these numbers)
    What you have to do in a case where they ask for the Serial Number is swap the 3rd and 4th digits. The version number is a red herring. Your version number on the Sub box is not cross referenced or recorded. (though maybe on new subs it is.)

Originally posted by carrolls
    This was the case for the last year although it was more random. (Asking for these numbers)
    What you have to do in a case where they ask for the Serial Number is swap the 3rd and 4th digits. The version number is a red herring. Your version number on the Sub box is not cross referenced or recorded. (though maybe on new subs it is.)

Surely if you give the wrong serial no. the box will not pair correctly.

Tony

Originally posted by Ludo
    I dont understand how this plugs any loophole. Your sub card will be for your box AND your replacement FTV card will come married to your box also hopefully and therefore they should still both work.

Wheres the plug???

As already metioned some cards are arriving which are paired to previously owned boxes, thats where problems will arise.

Tony

Surely if you give the wrong serial no. the box will not pair correctly.

When I rang up to activate my Scottish card in July, the Sky Person asked me to quote my box serial number.
    I switched the 3rd and 4th digits in my Sub. box serial number and it worked fine.
    If I gave the real serial number of the box, my Scottish card would be a bookmark now.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭muffinhead

Having read this post what would you advise me to do when I get my SKY stuff installed in the next week or so? I have sent off for an English FTV card - do I quote my Irish serial box number or what? I said to the girl in the FTV call centre that I was not subscribed to SKY!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 zak

Picked this up on a few of the "News Groups Today"

"Well this confirms that the FTV cards are also being replaced. Got mine this
    morning and wait for it will ONLY work with the correct version number and
    serial number. I rang the FTV help line and gave them my correct set top box
    details and surprise surprise "Sorry that set top box is active in ROI.
    (South Ireland)" So we are F**ked now over here in Ireland for FTV unless we
    can get a UK digibox as well."

It was only a matter of time..........

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭markyboy

If you cancel your Sky subscription (after the contract year) will you have any problem with a FTA card as you won't be upgrading?

• Advertisement

When I rang up to activate my Scottish card in July, the Sky Person asked me to quote my box serial number.
    I switched the 3rd and 4th digits in my Sub. box serial number and it worked fine.
    If I gave the real serial number of the box, my Scottish card would be a bookmark now.

Interesting, not sure this will work in every case though, effectively what you did was give another box no. although the fact that the card authorised is at odds with this.

Tony

I was actually advised on this board to do it.
    Obvously you cannot give your real serial number.
    The robot at the Sky helpdesk gave me step to step instructions on how to get the Serial number using the EPG menu.
    I pretended that I was following her instructions and then quoted the revamped serial number.

byte

Originally posted by Tony
    Yes I did indeed have more problems than usual with callback, I put it down to excessive server load. What did sky say when you asked for manual switch on?

Tony

Glad i'm not the only one then! Anyway, first time I rang one day, a guy answered (the 0044 installer line) and had no reservations in activating the card. Then not an hour later, after encountering the exact same problems, I rang again and this time the woman who answered would not under any circumstance, activate the card. This was after giving card number, name and address, etc for her to tell me this. I told her that i got a card activated previously, but she just said that he shouldn't have, so after wasting much of my time arguing with her on the phone (due to her telling me my job), I got fed up and showed the customer how to activate it (it was Xmas eve and he wanted it active for Xmas). So that ended me with manual switch ons as it wastes everyones time! I have encountered the problem once since xmas but it turned out that the household had a crackling line, tho I got the card activated after 7 tries! :rolleyes:

I was actually advised on this board to do it.
    Obvously you cannot give your real serial number.
    The robot at the Sky helpdesk gave me step to step instructions on how to get the Serial number using the EPG menu.
    I pretended that I was following her instructions and then quoted the revamped serial number.

I am curious as to why this worked as if you give a wrong serial no. the pairing should not work as they are effectively sending a signal to pair the card in the wrong box.

Tony

If I get any grief from them I just hang up and ring back, I usually get someone more helpful the 2nd time. Card ordering is the worst, sometimes akin to pulling teeth. I had one particularly slow guy who took forever to take the details and then he said "sorry I hit the wrong key, we will have to start again"

I think not (Tony then hangs up)

So that ended me with manual switch ons as it wastes everyones time! I have encountered the problem once since xmas but it turned out that the household had a crackling line, tho I got the card activated after 7 tries! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭bmg

i also had trouble activating cards last month but i must have been lucky as i was never refused a manual activation over the air. i nearly always get through on the 1800 freephone number but sometimes they say to call the 0044 number.
    i have got ftv cards activated in digiboxes without giving the version or serial nos. of the boxes. the card always paired with the box it was initially switched on in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i gave my correct irish box serial number and no bother yet. any updates on the one card one box situation yet.

I wonder if you got the ftv card first and then you got the irish sub card would the box think the first card you actvated was the right one and lock it down so you could put in your irish sub card when the new card came.

You would have some explaining to do to the scots in SKY call centre then.

byte

Originally posted by bmg
    i also had trouble activating cards last month but i must have been lucky as i was never refused a manual activation over the air. i nearly always get through on the 1800 freephone number but sometimes they say to call the 0044 number.
    i have got ftv cards activated in digiboxes without giving the version or serial nos. of the boxes. the card always paired with the box it was initially switched on in.

You were lucky. I totally stopped ringing the freefone number as the 0044 number is much quicker. I think in future I'll try Tony's method of hanging up!;)

When i got my FTV card activated, i was never asked for serial number, it was paired automatically somehow!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Just a question?

I gave my correct box serial number with my FTV card.

I am wondering now when the new cards come what will happen.

I get my ROI sub card and activate that. Then i put in my new FTV card and activate that will it work ok.I could get a Dual LNB and a new box and re-register the FTV card on the new box.Will a dual LNB fit on a minidish or do i need a bigger dish.

Also the FTV card will most likely come before the ROI sub card should i hold out activating the new card FTV card incase it only6 allows one card one box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Sorry irishgeo, we just dont know yet. Only when someone in the ROI with a Sky sub and an FTV card will we know what will happen for certain.

Stay tuned :(

The best solution, IMO, even all along, is 2 boxes, one for your Sky sub, one for the FTA card and a quad lnb. (which will fit on a standard dish)

Advertisement