Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freemasons: Evil secret society or misunderstood nice guys...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Why all the indignation?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

thepcgp wrote: »
    Getz, how would you know the oath of a Royal Arch Mason? Unless you had taken it. Anyone reporting to know the content of such an oath, without having taken it, is probably misinformed. So how do you know this oath exactly?

There is no such person as 'Lord Kullun', not that I can find any evidence of. Who is this person?

Do you have any evidence for any of your claims? Surely you don't expect people to believe what you are saying when you haven't provided any references for any of it? It's quite obvious you are simply making this stuff up.

I am certain there must be more constructive ways for you to direct your creative ability.
    if masons have nothing to hide ,why are you getting so worked up ? stocton MP frank cook says he has tabled a commons motion claiming hamilton may have been allowed to build up a arsenal of high -powered weapons because of his links with the ultra-secret society,mr cook claims hamilton was granted a firearms certificate in 1979 two years after joining lodge 1417 of the masonic order at garrow hill glasgow,mr cook added i actually feel guilty for not raising this matter sooner,we must find out immediately why a man of this know character was allowed it would appear with ease to collect such a large amount of weapons and ammunition, LORD CULLEN[thats the spelling]was asked if he was a freemason he said he was not a mason,but he is numbered 1702 on the membership of the,speculaitive society of edinburgh,which is an offshoot of freemasonary[mason lodge canongate kilwinning n2 founded in 1764] the inquiry into the dunblain massacre was a massive cover up. a top scots freemason has sensationally claimed,former grandmaster lord burton says that lord cullens official probe suppressed crucial information to protect high-profile legal figures, he says,they belong to a secretive ;supermason group called the speculative society,lord burton revealed that he was bullied and threatened by other peers when he tried to raise his concerns, when you lift up that rock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

Well all I know is that everyone I know who has any contact with Masons says that they are all really nice people, who are in a club with other nice guys, and like to do some charity work and the oaths etc just make their "club" that little bit extra special.

I have to admit I am fascinated by Masons and I might pay a visit to the Grand lodge in Dublin.... Was I right in hearing its open to visitors?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭thepcgp

Definitely worth a visit. You'll be amazed. You can go in for a tour pretty much any time during the day, except when there's a meeting in progress, these are usually only in the evening and held about once a month (check in advance for what day). I went with my wife last year and we were completely blown away. I have to say it's one of the most amazing places I've ever been in. The blue lodge room itself looks at first like it's tiled in alternating black and white, but when you walk on it you realize it's actually a giant carpet that was custom-made for the place so it makes no sound when you walk! The walls are covered with bigger-than-life-size paintings of past masters. Those walls seem to go up forever and the ceiling is painted blue like the canopy of heaven. There's 2 pillars that go almost to the ceiling with big globes at the top. It's absolutely astounding. You can visit the Templar temple upstairs, see the secret passage-way, and the Royal Arch lodge with statues of Egyptian pharaos on the wall, and the symbolism and art and stuff will leave you perplexed. Some claim that there's no Masonic connection to esotericism but when you see this place you have to wonder. I mean some of the symbolism is just out of this world. Although what I appreciate most about Freemasonry in general and Grand Lodge in particular is that even though they believe in a spiritual being, or god, they never show any representation of 'god' anywhere. It's as if 'god' is too powerful or great to be displayed in an iconic image. Except the eye of course, but to me this represents watching or experiencing, rather than ruling. <Tangent> While I'm not religious, I definitely believe in the human spirit and a supreme being, not one that 'rules' us but rather a central consciousness or common power through which we are all connected (men and women). And I don't believe Freemasonry is for men because they think men are superior or more important, but rather because maybe men need something to bring them together in a spiritual sense, while women have childbirth and all that men really have nothing like that, I think Freemasonry in a sense provides an avenue for men to bond and feel connected with one another. </Tangent> Anyways, back to topic, Grand Lodge is well worth a visit if you're in the area, or even if you're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

If anyone wants to see the Cork Masonic Hall, let me know. The main room is incredible, built from parts of the original St. Finbarrs Cathedral that date back centuries. There's a small museum too, with artifacts from the only Lady Freemason.

• Advertisement

IMAGE_166.jpg

IMAGE_167.jpg

IMAGE_169.jpg

IMAGE_170.jpg

IMAGE_172.jpg

• Advertisement

IMAGE_178.jpg

IMAGE_184.jpg

IMAGE_185.jpg

IMAGE_190.jpg

IMAGE_194.jpg

IMAGE_197.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Well all I know is that everyone I know who has any contact with Masons says that they are all really nice people, who are in a club with other nice guys, and like to do some charity work and the oaths etc just make their "club" that little bit extra special.

I have to admit I am fascinated by Masons and I might pay a visit to the Grand lodge in Dublin.... Was I right in hearing its open to visitors?
    now where have i heard that before , yes there is a goverment report out ,about another group of nice people,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 mrtaylor1981

IMAGE_194.jpg
    Intersting. I have seen teh skull and cross bones on an old 1700's grave in Leitrim and wondered was the person buried in it a pirate or something ! Checked it out in Wiki and it says - Freemasonry, where the sign of skull and crossbones is used to denote a master mason.

Sweet, Im in Dublin next week for the TCD open day so I might head over for a look

getz wrote: »
    now where have i heard that before , yes there is a goverment report out ,about another group of nice people,
    Ahhhh cmon....

• Advertisement

IMAGE_197.jpg
    What exactly is that a picture of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

I would say it might be near impossible to find neutral sources on something like this but we will try :)

BTW guys did the OP ever join in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

I guess it would be up to him to decide whether he wanted his deciding to join or not should be a matter of public record :D

Some of us are happy to be 'out' as Freemasons, but it's fair to say that others quite rightly think membership may attract negative opinions which could harm their careers/personal lives..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

If anyone wants to see the Cork Masonic Hall, let me know. The main room is incredible, built from parts of the original St. Finbarrs Cathedral that date back centuries. There's a small museum too, with artifacts from the only Lady Freemason.

Is the book on her still available Paintdoctor?

I saw the carpet in the Molesworth Street lodge. About 15 years ago myself and another girl (her Dad's a Mason) went in for a snoop to see what the fuss was about and the guy who was showing us around was very nice but kept asking us why we were so interested in seeing the place. We didn't tell him why! We only saw the main room to the right of the entrance, full of aprons in glass cases etc. We didn't find it all that exciting TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Sorry Emme, on principle, I'll be having little to do with boards, or this thread anymore. I'm available on PM if anyone has a specific question.

Sorry Emme, on principle, I'll be having little to do with boards, or this thread anymore. I'm available on PM if anyone has a specific question.
    Aww :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Absolam wrote: »
    I guess it would be up to him to decide whether he wanted his deciding to join or not should be a matter of public record :D

Some of us are happy to be 'out' as Freemasons, but it's fair to say that others quite rightly think membership may attract negative opinions which could harm their careers/personal lives..
    Very much so and I can think of one case where the fact the chap was a freemason impacted on his business life. I suspect for the usual silly "reasons" too. An uncle of mine was a freemason(I say was as he passed away a few years back). A mate of mine is one. Big deal TBH. It's a private club with like minded types who do a lot for charity. Much of it in the background. No offence meant towards members, but from what I've seen of it, it's like a golf club without the golf:) If you know what I mean. Obviously with a lot of history and ceremony etc behind it, but that kinda vibe in a lot of ways. I know this much, there is a lot of crap attached to the club from outsiders.

If you do get the chance to visit the lodge in dublin its well worth the look. Very victorian vibe to it. In a nice way:)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

So contrary to popular belief Masons being perceived as being discriminatory, are in fact often victims of discrimination themselves?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Not in a huge way, but I'd say it happens alright.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement