Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom 3 baby!!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Would anyone like to burn a copy of the test and send it on. I will gladly exchange some other disk for it. PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

VIDEO SETTINGS

Bump Mapping on/off (try switching back and forth, you'll see the changes):

r_useStandardGL 0 (this turns bump mapping ON)
    r_useStandardGL 1 (this turns bump mapping OFF)
    Dynamic shadows on/off (BIG performance difference):

r_shadows 1
    r_shadows 0
    Changing resolution:

r_mode 1 (400x300)
    r_mode 2 (512x384)
    r_mode 3 (640x480)
    r_mode 4 (800x600)
    r_mode 5 (1024x768)
    r_mode 6 (1152x864)
    r_mode 7 (1280x1024)
    NOTE: Changing resolution will not take effect until you either restart the game, or type vid_restart

Changing bit depth:

r_colorbits 16
    r_colorbits 32
    Fullscreen on/off:

r_fullscreen 1
    r_fullscreen 0
    Brightness:

r_gamma 1 (Default is one, change to 2 or higher if the game is too dark)
    Third Person view:

pm_thirdperson 0
    pm_thirdperson 1

If you don't understand what the previous commands are doing, but you still want better performance, just make the following changes in your doomconfig.cfg:

seta r_ext_compress_textures "1"
    seta r_colorbits "16"
    seta r_depthbits "16"
    seta r_mode "3"
    seta r_fullscreen "1"
    seta r_shadows "0"
    seta r_useStandardGL "1"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Can't seem to find the Alpha..
    Any guesses as to how it'll run on a Radeon 7500?
    a) It'll run just fine
    b) Forget'aboudit...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Looks like it was leaked by ATI alright and John Carmack is not too pleased about it.
    No, this was not leaked on purpose. Yes, we are upset about it, and it will have some impact on how we deal with some companies in the future, but nothing drastic is going to change in terms of what support is going to be available. Making any judgements from a snapshot intended for a non-interactive demo is ill advised.
    Twas leaked by some techie at ATI I'd say wanted to show it off to his friends or something along those lines. Reflects badly on ATI but you can't blame the entire company by the actions of one dumbass.

I think it wasn't a great thing to happen because Doom3 won't have the impact now that it would of received when betaed officially for the first time. I'm sure a lot of work has taken place since the e3 demo and now.

Another spin off though, lots of people are hosting websites now about creating mods, level editing etc for it. So it's looks as the modding enthusiasts have a head start now and probably will have several decent ones out by official release.

More info at doom3.dk and for those of you who still don't have it yet here are some screenshots

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

you can't blame the entire company by the actions of one dumbass

If ATI had better security restrictions in place it wouldn't have happened. I can't blame ID for being pissed about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭*NemesiS*

Just to clarify the system used at e3 to run the demo was an experimental p4 4.2 gig, with a radeon 9700 pro, as for the ram im not 100% but u can be sure it was well over a gig of ddr.

As for peps askin when the 9700 pro will be out its already released, although i doubht you'll find it on retail in the uk or ireland. Look up ebay and you'll find quite a few.

For anyone intrested my mate ran it on his xp 2200+, 1 gig ddr, gf4 4600 ti. He was gettin maybe 60 fps at best but when he started shootin at zombies and **** it dropped badly. He tweaked it severly and usin the console turned on all available gfx extras and compared to my machine, xp1700+ 256ddr, geforce GTS 2 pro the detail was amazing, the shadows and detail (e.g Individual drops of Drool from the hell knights mouth) was just amazing although it still ran badly. What were gonna be playin this on in the summer when its released i dunno but its gonna have to be some **** hot gear :p although the demo is badly compiled and im sure once it is compiled correctly it will run much smoother. Lets hope :D

btw ill get some screenies he took (some VERY nice ones) and try post em up durin the week.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 1,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭satchmo

can anyone give me the exact file size? I want to download it off kazaa, but there's tons of fake files called 'doom3' or similar out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭*NemesiS*

Ok just done some quick uploadin and ive thrown up 2 nice pic sequences :) Although they were only taken at low detail there still very nice, av a look. There on the [cCM] clan site and its under construction atm.
    Enjoy :D

http://clancm.net/html/doom3.html

If ya want some more np just lemme know, got loads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Should be in or around 364MB Jazz.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by OSiriS
    If ATI had better security restrictions in place it wouldn't have happened. I can't blame ID for being pissed about it.

Working in a place where I could have access to all sorts of nice SW before release, I can assure you that there is no "security measure" that stops me popping a CDR in the drive and burning a copy of what Im working on.

I also havent seen anything but a dodgy IRC log pointing the finger at ATI.

Nemesis: The alleged system specs at E3 get more and more stupid everytime I see them. Im quite sure the P4 was a 2.4GHz... not a 4.2GHz. Intel demonstrated a 4GHz cpu last year, Super cooled with a large and noisey compressor. No company (as in ID) would demo alpha SW on beta HW in front of such an important audience.

Matt

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

well i finally got the demo. and after eventually getting round to playing the first map - everything's really dark! all the textures, bar a few, are all really dark and black! help! any1 else have this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

try playing with the shadows setting

Go to the console and type:

r_shadows 0

Or maybe the bump mapping setting

r_useStandardGL 0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 timmyotoole

played it on a p4 1.6 with 768 of sd ram with a geforce 2 mx 400
    messed around with the config like turning off shadows, nearly doubled frame rate to 10fps moving around, but of course shooting anything up close dropped it to 0-2fps. still class looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Blank

[BAD DOG NO BISCUIT FOR YOU]

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

All legal stuff of course Blank?

Thread closed due to the fact that if you don't know how to get the Doom 3 demo by now then well, you're just not paying attention and that it's perilously close to the line between warez and legality.

Complaints on a postcard to the Admin board as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

But yet the thread still remains open?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

From the look of it, it doesn't look like v0.02 cleans up after itself very well memory wise (so if you feel it slowing down as you progress through the levels, do yourself a favour and reload the game).

The main thing slowing it down on my machine is loading sounds. Any idea how to turn that off? (cvars are pretty opaque and this one)

This is why 256 megs of RAM is a bit pissy. With 1066 RDRAM the only real option for me, any idea how to get 400 Euro for 512 megs more easily?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Blank

depends on what you download amp nothing wrong with xdcc unless ppl use it to get warez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Ooops, I think Amp was distracted by some hardcore fisting action and forgot to lock the thread. Oh, and I've edited Blank's posts because he's a bad man who makes baby jesus cry.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement