Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom 3 baby!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Anybody have a ftp site to get it? Have been looking for a little bit with no joy. Im behind a company firewall blocking P2P apps.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

http://www.dailydesaster.com/phpbb2/index.php?c=2

for editing and general stuff.

kdja

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

i read in a mag that at e3 they used a 4Ghz machine with the new ati 9700 gfx( is that the name of the new top of the line card?) and shedloads of memory to get it to run that smooth
    my piece of **** 500mhz 256mb voodoo3 would have to be shot after trying to run this game :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

absolutly positivly schmivly will not work on a voodoo3. that ancient card cant handle textures larger than 256x256 (id say that the toenail texture on the fat zombie is larger than 256x256) :( and the drivers dont fully support directx8 and not to mention they simply wouldnt be able to pump out the frames faster than 5 frames per minute sorry

as for 4ghz, the only place you will see that is in intel's labs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

i swear to god thats what it said in PCG
    it must have been some kind of prototype or server processor but it definitely said 4ghz

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,896 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah like PCG are always right. Don't believe anything you read in that tome of sh*te. They used 2.4 Ghz with the new ati cards and 512mb ram.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I'd take anything PC gamer say with a grain of salt tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

You have to understand that the alpha was made specifcally for the machine they used. A P4 2.53 with 1 gig of ram and a Ati RADEON 9700 pro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

yea where did ya'll get it from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Altheus

I'd say undoubtably they used a Radeon 9700 Pro, given Carmack's article concerning the shít performance of the GF and "all hail ATI". Also, the system would have had a shítload of RAM, cuz the last thing at Expo's they want is loading time, also the chip would have been a 2.53GHz I reckon, prolly about the best chip around.

Also about the Wildcat... dear god .... nodding head is dissapointment .... to even consider that being true is just ridiculous...

• Advertisement

The demo is from E3. The machine used at E3 was a 2GHZ machine with a beta Radeon 9700. It ran at 640*480 with one setting down from the best quality of rendering.

Later on, at the Quakecon convention. A later version was run that ran at 800*600 in the best quality setting, on a 2GHZ machine with either a Radeon 9700 or a Geforce Ti.

Id are quoted to of said that the final game will run on first generation geforce cards with levels turned down...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

Note for insanely stupid people: This version isnt even slightly optimised yet. The finished game will run MUCH better on the same PC.

A

I dont know Asuka, it may and it may not. On GeForce, yes I'm sure it will, with optimizations etc.. but that version was specifically tweaked for the Radeon which leads me to believe that maybe the performance increase wont be so great. Maybe...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I wonder if it's multiprocessor friendly........ Quake3 was right?

Or if it is available in 64-bit form for SPARC-2s etc.

Dual/Quad Xeon tbh with 9700 o/cd

Note for insanely stupid people: This version isnt even slightly optimised yet. The finished game will run MUCH better on the same PC.

Then why did ID form a partnership with ATI and 9700 to showcase the game?

Wont sell many 9700 if it runs on geforce.

Also from playing with the map editor and making my 1st doom map :)

I cant see lower cards playing this game at a decent rate of fps.
    Doom isnt a game its an engine on which better games will be made.

kdja

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

Originally posted by kdja
    Wont sell many 9700 if it runs on geforce.
    On the flip side, it wont sell many copies of the game if everyone with a geforce gets 5fps in the final version. Use your head.

A

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

You have to realise that the game is still a year off!
    Moores law states that processors should be approaching 5 ghz soon after it comes out! A 2.5 ghz in a year will be a pretty standard buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,471 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

the game will run reasonable on gef3's.

only an idiot would make a game which only runs on a $400 graphics card

damn

just to show my PC's l33tness i definitely would... :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

well perhaps you get the game when you buy a 9700 card, ;p

When is it due to be reasesed anyway, have they given it a date or anything!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Can get up to 14fps! Whilst staring at a wall. Tis fab though. Very scary game. I can only get it to run in 640x480 mode though. The game is going to be fantastic when it gets released, if you can get a card with some vertex shaders and 512meg RAM then you should be grand. If you can get 20 fps it's playable.

True that it's a year off and optimisations are to follow still but the current crop of Geforce cards excluding gf4s will need to reconsidered if you want to get graphics with all the bells and whistles. This game will move 9700s and NV30s faster than any other game. I'm not complaining about it though. My graphics card (gf2 GTS) is getting on and you can't expect miracles with a 2 year old card. Looking forward to getting a Radeon 9700 when it drops to circa €250 ... probably just when Doom3 goes gold.

The word optimisation is mentioned a lot.

There is a functional map editor with the demo ?????
    Doesnt anybody else realise the signifance of this???

Guess not.

kdja

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

it does really make it look like it was a leak from ati or some other gfx card manufacturer. give them some source and a level editor to create benchmarking levels to test all the features of the engine and the compatibility with the drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Oh .....

dear .....

god .....

that was f*cking scary :D

I had reasonable frame rates for most of it, until the 3rd map when things started to get a little slowwww at times.

I'm looking forward to this release :D

Incidentally, I'm running the game with an AthlonXP 1600+, 256mb ddr ram and a GeForce Ti4600.

The weapons were sweet too. The shotgun is back :D

And some of the monsters were bloody scary - especially the "pink demon" - which isn't so pink anymore .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

this is driving me nuts...
    can someone please take a few screens so i can see what all the fuss is about

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

More than likely the game when the game finally arrives it will be 'compatible' with GF4 + cards - might not run too quickly though. I'm sure a set of updated drivers will have been produced by then and maybe a low-performance setting on the game.

M8 of mine downloaded the demo yesterday and he has a GF4 420 and he said he ran at an acceptable level. Also said it was the scariest game he has ever played - ID have gone for atmosphere rather than mindless violence - but I hear there's plenty of that once you've cleaned up the mess after been frightened half to death.

Roll on the full release.

Hyzepher

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Originally posted by kdja
    Then why did ID form a partnership with ATI and 9700 to showcase the game?

Because the 9700 is the first card on the market to use dx9 specific technology. the new NV30 will use it but it hasn't been released yet.

And seeing as dx9 will be out before the game is released...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I played the test, graphics are great though i could not invert the mouse or change my keys... and it was very slow...

From what i heard the best way to get it running on your system is to delete the doomconfig.cfg file and let it build a new one for your system automatically. The cfg file that is there is specially made for the 9700.

To change the keys go to the console and type bindlist
    Use the page up and down keys to scroll through the different keys.

Type com_drawfps1 to see your fps

To invert your mouse type m_pitch -0.022
    (The default setting is m_pitch 0.022

To get a thirdperson view :

pm_thirdperson 0
    pm_thirdperson 1

Hope that helps....

Now, all i need to find is parts 12 + 13 of the rar files....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Checked this out last night, What fantastic graphics! It's *almost* like playing the intro from Q3 in realtime.

However, it's still Doom, designed to be scary, and even the e3 demo thing I played last night does this quite well, especially the end.
    Man, I unloaded 3 full clips of 60 bullets into that thing? WTF?

I was hoping for more originality, but initial clues point to more find the blue key for blue door 'fun' - (there's a keypad at a locked door in one of the maps...I didn't even bother looking for the code.)

I agree with others on this thread about the game, It will be the engine upon which good well thought-out games are based on, and if so, we've got some good times ahead :)

Luc

You can bind keys from the console

bind w _forward
    bind s _back
    bind a _moveleft
    bind d _moveright

and for your mouse inversion joy, I think it's

set m_pitch -0.022

Or something, if it's wrong someone correct me, it's just from memory from last night.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement