Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitness

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

Find a suitable girl and F*** lots, and then some. Thats always worked for me. Another easy breaker inner is to do hillwalking. I started a couple of months ago and now up to power walking stage- some seriously stiff climbs also help with your leg muscles so try something like Lugnaquillia in Wicklow a few times and it should do the trick. F****** is whaaaay better though for overrall fitness and burns calories like no-ones business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Originally posted by thedrowner
    oh, is there any truth to the rumours that girls doing sit ups have to do them in a certain way or they hurt their womb's? (if so, mine's definately broken) my friend said she thought that girls werent supposed to do sit up's all the way from the floor to and upright postion, that we should just stop half way....???

IFyou only do them to the half way up position it works the upper stomach muscles a *lot* more than they do otherwise, they're also a lot harder to do when you do more than 20, builds stamina :)

<< Fio >>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭RapierX

i did it faster when i was 14 man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Originally posted by daveirl
    All I'm asking is are you sure it's 3 miles. If it is you should seriously think about taking up running as a sport.

Ever hear of the famous breaking of the 3 minute mile?

Running 3 miles should take 20-30 minutes if you're relatively fit.

<< Fio >>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Originally posted by Makaveli
    I dont drink all that much.
    I cant do pushups, I'm wrecked after 4 or 5, they are too hard.

Do them off your knees first, then off your feet, then elevate your feet (put them on a chair), then do handstand push-ups, etc. You just have to build up over time, that's all. Take it slow, don't expect too much too soon.
    Eventually, you'll be able to do a one-arm handstand push-up! :D
    Situps for lower abs are another story though, they are quite hard to do and I cant do very many.

Ahh, I think the whole "specific exercises for upper/lower abs" thing is a myth:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/Myths.html
    http://www.olusa.com/books/pavel/bp-abs-toc.htm

Deadlifts 0wn your abdominals, btw ;)

Some links for you:

Hindu Squats/Push-ups
    Bodyweight Exercises

Hindu Squats are good, as they use your bodyweight only, but really do develop your aerobic fitness, and lung power.
    Try doing 50 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Originally posted by daveirl
    Well since that's never happened..... no....

The four minute mile was broken by Roger Banister in 1958 I think. 3 minute mile won't be broken for a long while.

Again if you can do it in 20 you are more than just 'relatively fit'

Indeed, dave is right.

Four minute mile was more of a straight out sprint than anything - doing three miles in twenty minutes and under requires a great deal of stamina.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

Originally posted by Magic Monkey

Eventually, you'll be able to do a one-arm handstand push-up! :D

and if he practises really,really,really hard he'll be able to do a no-arms push up ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Originally posted by Kell
    Find a suitable girl and F*** lots, and then some. Thats always worked for me.

F****** is whaaaay better though for overrall fitness and burns calories like no-ones business.

That didn't work for me.

I think it's a bit of a myth (o:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Originally posted by Magic Monkey

Deadlifts 0wn your abdominals, btw ;)

Yeah, you dont need to tell me that twice. Although deadlifts leave me pretty wasted, and with a complete lack of strength in my arms. They are effectivly dead.
    Thanks for the links, those hindu squats are good alright, my thighs certainly felt it.
    Had a go at the pushups underneath the squats on that page, not a hope in hell. Managed 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

Originally posted by thedrowner
    and if he practises really,really,really hard he'll be able to do a no-arms push up ;)

anyone remember in gladiators the way some of the female ones could do like a cartwheel with no hands! I thought that was pretty snazzy. But I was young and foolish...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

um---i was hoping to provoke some more dirty responses than that roxy ;)

yes i do remember, anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭RapierX

All I'm asking is are you sure it's 3 miles. If it is you should seriously think about taking up running as a sport.

It's 3.14 miles with 2 big hills in the direction i run it, the type you leave ur hands on hips after. I used to run competitively, I thought the fags and liquer would have seriously hindered my ability but genetics and willpower overcome that i guess. Yeah im considering going back to road racing, tough decision.

3 minute mile???????okkkkkkkk maybe if a kenyan was given to prolab for experimentation and didnt mind dying after 40 years of life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Originally posted by Makaveli
    Yeah, you dont need to tell me that twice. Although deadlifts leave me pretty wasted, and with a complete lack of strength in my arms. They are effectivly dead.

Heh, they rock! Once you can do BW (bodyweight) for reps, then you'll be doing ok.
    Thanks for the links, those hindu squats are good alright, my thighs certainly felt it.
    Had a go at the pushups underneath the squats on that page, not a hope in hell. Managed 3.

Hindu Squats are hard. They're also boring. But they're damn effective evil little bast4rds :)

Just try doing regular push-ups off your knees for now; as I said, build up over time.

Also, about the one-arm handstand push-ups? There was a car ad on a while back showing some guy doing this, well impressive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Muirthile

Originally posted by smiles
    Ever hear of the famous breaking of the 3 minute mile?
    <whispers>
    4 minute mile
    </whispers>

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Brian Houlihan

good news. there is hopefully a get fit or health board cumming soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Since we started training my fitness has improved.
    We havent had a match since we started so I havent put it to practice yet but I was able to jog around 3 pitches at a fairly decent pace without quitting. Where as before I'd have never of made it.
    We do a lot of sprints which are an absolute killer, but I know they are helping.

• Advertisement
Advertisement