Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitness

Options
  • 27-10-2002 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭

Ok I need some tips on how to boost my fitness levels because I am shockingly unfit.
    I only lasted 45 minutes in a soccer match playing as winger because I was just completly bolloxed from the running.
    So I basically need tips on how to improve my fitness and stamina in as short a time as possible.
    So, who can help me out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Just do more exercise and you will get more fit. If you get the bus or drive, run or cycle (or power walk :rolleyes: ).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Getting fit is straight forward :)

Considering you have football in mind, then I wouldn't really be too worried about upper body work, and I'd concentrate on long jogs for stamina and work in some sprints for your general pace etc. Start out with a couple of miles twice a week, working in full pace sprinting during it, say sprinting for 10 seconds 4/5 times.

Don't bite off more than you can chew, you'll probably quit and go back to square one, being the lazy oaf that you are! All this don't get the bus, walk etc is well and good but thats advice for the morbidly obese and/or OAPs. If you're fit and healthy and relatively young, you're idea of fitness should consist of more than being able to walk to the kitchen and back without running out of breath.

Does your team not train? Personally, I always had good intentions of going for exercise, but if boxing training has taught me anything its that exercise is best when you have someone to urge/force you to give more and work harder. I'd never push myself as hard as a trainer will, and I think that can be said of most people. Try and get into some kind of organised exercise with a group, doesn't have to be a football team.

If you are going to do it on your own then stay motivated, and remember why you're doing it in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Brian Houlihan

Basically I was and still am a bit overweight. But I lost enough weight until I was comfortable. Basically what I did.

- Ate less junk food more fruit
    - Walked 20 mins daily and only ate a small snack after it not having a dinner after losing a few calories ya get me.
    - Basically I continuted walking but my pace increased and I was half jogging half walking eventually.
    - Just do what ya can and try and get daily excercise and cut down on chocolate. Just say you eat 6 squares od cadburys or whatever cut down to 4 simple things like that.

Also make sure you get enough sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Thanks for the tips.
    No we dont train and that's why it's so hard. Going out once a week to play a match isnt exactly going to help my fitness.
    And well as you said walking isnt going to help me all that much. As for walking to college instead of getting the bus, I'm not walking across Dublin and I do literally mean across Dublin.
    I dont have a weight problem, I'm just unfit.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

Easiest thing you could do arrange practice matices or something mid-week and make them a regular extra. I might be stating the obvious but if you want to get fit for playing football, then playing football will be the best excercise to suit that. And it would still remain fairly fun. Doing major fitness plans is only useful if you've some sort of goal, otherwise its wasted effort. Two games of footy would keep you pretty fit, ie you're not going to have a heart attack if you lift a heavy object, or run away from an attack etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

my advice would be to join a gym, if youre prepared....most collages have a cheap membership fee, you have practically unlimited access. there will be people there who will be able to assess your fitness, and give u the best workout plan to get fitter in a way that doesnt kill you and that u will probably find enjoyable. you'll also feel less tired during the day, which will help increase your stamina. and youll probably sleep better.

but if ur not interested in somehthing so extreeme, then work aout a little excercise program all for yourself, and build it up as the weeks go buy (walking, cycling, swimmin etc) and it should have the same effect, although maybe not as quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

to get better at football, and boost your fitness and stamnia you should play often, like train for a team during the week and then play at the weekend..

practice makes perfect and all that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Run, simple as that. Might be an idea to join a gym seeing as it's winter. Running on a treadmill is a little easier too. Nice girls to look at, music, TV and you can see all the calories burning :)

Or else go swimming, great excersise that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭Panda

swimming is also a good way to get fit, you use pretty much every motary muscle in your body.
    i swim fairly regularly, maybe twice a week, mainly because im a life guard but it keeps me fit aswell.
    it would be good to start off with widths of the pool and do maybe 15-20, then work up to lengths.

but there is a bit more hassle than running involved.
    getting wet and all...

it always suprised me that there was no health/Fitness board actually...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭RapierX

I dont think it really matters what kinda training you do. It boils down to aerobic/anaerobic. I find doing weights with 12-15 reps the fastest way of getting fit. Long running and jogging takes a few weeks to build up stamina on. Why bother when u can do it in less time, and a more fun way in the gym or at home. The weights give you a lot of power, thats what wingers need. Most wingers cant last for ****, they are good in bursts. Roy Keane is good coz hes like a long distance runner stamina a plenty. Ryan giggs wouldnt run 4 laps of a feild without dying. if your that unfit do position specific training, ie sprints and weights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I heartily endorse swimming. Great all-round excercise. You don't need to kill yourself to get to a reasonably fit state.

Doing weights will NOT get you fit. You'll look great and be able to lift a piano but you won't be fit. I see guys in the pool all the time that look like Van Dam but can only swim two lengths of the pool before having to get out.
    Running and swimming, if you want to be fit.

Ok so I rattled a few cages and managed to convince everyone (with help from 1 or 2 others) that we need to train during the week. On the condition you dont train you dont play.
    Also, decided to get off my ass and start using the gym again (I'm a member of 2 :rolleyes: ).
    So, it's a lot of treadmill work. (But it's sore on the knees.)
    Swimming is a good idea, but more hassle. I should probably start cycling again too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Originally posted by Makaveli
    Ok I need some tips on how to boost my fitness levels because I am shockingly unfit.

Try this. First thing you do when you get up in the morning is 30 pushups and thirty situps, remembering to conciously contract your abdominals (as opposed to wrenching your head towards your knees with your arms).

I do this, except I normally do, 65 pushups and 30 situps. You want to be fit, then you have to exercise.
    P & Q.
    P therefore Q. Simple really.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

I'd recommend cutting back on liquor, I find that's a killer for me.

I dont drink all that much.
    I cant do pushups, I'm wrecked after 4 or 5, they are too hard. I can do plenty of situps though. Usually not at a count, just until I feel the burn, and then I push it a bit more and stop.
    They say for everyone that hurts it's worth 10 that dont. Obviously the more you do, the further you have to go before you feel the burn. Usually it's at about 50 I start to feel it.
    Situps for lower abs are another story though, they are quite hard to do and I cant do very many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Originally posted by Enygma
    Doing weights will NOT get you fit.

Wrong.

.logic.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

swimming definitely.. uses every muscle in your body.

OK, will not get you nearly half as fit as running and swimming will.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Weights will get you fit to a degree, but if you're not in the best shape its a bad idea to do weights until you lose weight and build up your fitness, I think you should have a certain level of fitness before you even start weight training, otherwise you'll do yourself some damage.

I'd say swimming/running/rowing are best for overall fitness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Originally posted by logic1
    Wrong.

.logic.

Its a different kind of fitness.
    Me, i try to get a balance so i run and do weights..neither is great fun but rewarding when the work is done.

Originally posted by Makaveli

I cant do pushups, I'm wrecked after 4 or 5, they are too hard.

just set urself a limit every day, start off doing 5, then increase up to 6, 7, 8, etc. its a pain in the arse but if its what u want then its worth it. but u probably already knew this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Originally posted by thedrowner
    just set urself a limit every day, start off doing 5, then increase up to 6, 7, 8, etc. its a pain in the arse but if its what u want then its worth it. but u probably already knew this.
    I can do 30.. on my freakin KNUCKLES.. on a WOODEN floor of all things :( Doin em on your knuckles makes it seem easier when u try them normally.. try it ;)

Maybe if I was a Tae-Kwon-Do master, I could do them on my knuckles, but I'm not. ;)

pffffff..... a master can do them on his knuckles.. and jump up 4ft off the ground and clap on each 1 ;)

i dont have to try it, i only need to do girly things like treadmills and steppers ;)

oh, is there any truth to the rumours that girls doing sit ups have to do them in a certain way or they hurt their womb's? (if so, mine's definately broken) my friend said she thought that girls werent supposed to do sit up's all the way from the floor to and upright postion, that we should just stop half way....???

my friend said she thought that girls werent supposed to do sit up's all the way from the floor to and upright postion, that we should just stop half way....???
    I dunno about girls.. but coming up the whole way is easy.. try doing crunches.. keep your head off the floor (about 2 inches) and do really fast situps without letting your head touch the floor..

Originally posted by Repli
    pffffff..... a master can do them on his knuckles.. and jump up 4ft off the ground and clap on each 1 ;)

i can do this scary thing which i will attempt to describe over the net...
    if you clasp your hands and bright them over your head, and bring them down backwards, most people can only keep them clasped into they reach their shoulders, they cant bring them down any further...i can bring mind down to the small of my back (a guy did it the opposite way in the video for rundmc vs jason nevins, 'its like that')...i ahve no idea how i dsicovered i could do this....and it really freaks people out. i think im double jointed somewhere in my arms.

i can also do the splitz, most guys cant do that, except for the guys im in dancing with, and it is a truly hideous thing to behold. it looks so sore!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

oh, is there any truth to the rumours that girls doing sit ups have to do them in a certain way or they hurt their womb's? (if so, mine's definately broken) my friend said she thought that girls werent supposed to do sit up's all the way from the floor to and upright postion, that we should just stop half way....???

Nah there is absolutely no truth in that. Obviously full crunchs aren't reccomended during late-pregnancy or directly after giving birth but thats about it. (I asked my sister btw.. shes a personal trainer/fitness instructor for the past 16 years).
    So your friend is just making up excuses :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭RapierX

OK, weights do you get you fit. I said 12-15 reps, thats a mixture of power and endurance. 6-10 for strength and muscle gain. Why do you think really tough sports like rowers, track athletes etc do ****loads of circuit training? In a time constricted enviroment such as this man has here, its the fastest possible way of boosting equal levels of fitness whether it be stamina, power, muscle endurance or drinking pints. I hadnt ran more than 50 metres in months, i went out the other night for a 3 mile road run, and was happy enough with just under 20 minutes. My legs werent stiff due to the high rep squats i do, why because running wont get near the exertion, lactic acid blah blah of weights! if your knew to them they can cause injury, but an intelligent individual will read books or have an arnold friend to show them.

Advertisement