Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,141 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Meow!

I work & live abroad, & I vacation at home. So, my holiday food generally is 'Irish'.

And in all honesty, the best holiday dinner I had this year was hake & chips from the Reel Fish Co, eaten out of the bag on Dingle pier.

The Chart House came a close second.

Back to recommending restaurants now...

To quote your post a page ago "Wow! I should have put a smiley in my light-hearted post. "

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Slattsy wrote: »
    Its on my to do list - let me know how it goes!

Absolutely a brilliant place food atmosphere cannot fault it will be back staff are grill as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Tried the famous wings in Tribeca last night, definitely better than Elephant & Castle. They were slightly dry but proper chicken in them, and fairly fresh, not obvious re-heats.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Just to note that I'm unstickying this thread, but it will still here open and available in this forum.

• Advertisement

Bateman wrote: »
    Tried the famous wings in Tribeca last night, definitely better than Elephant & Castle. They were slightly dry but proper chicken in them, and fairly fresh, not obvious re-heats.

Thats on my list now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭Dub_Steve

Went to Salamanca near Grafton street. Was very good. We spent 5 hours there drinking and eating, Think we only spent 50 quid each

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

a group of us, 6 in total, had the family style dinner at 777 in dublin on saturday. despite the 38e a head cost, it was good value, they brought out a HEAP of food and it was amazing

Their 7.77 brunch on sunday is great too, food lovely and great value, with some pretty good cocktails aswell if you're after a bit of a Sunday cure :)

Hootanany wrote: »
    Im off there tomorrow cant wait:D

So do tell, what did you think of it? (chameleon)

Tried Las Tapas De Lola recently for the first time.

It was a Saturday evening and we hadn't booked, so went there not really expecting to get a table and sure enough the place was bustling, but they said they'd call us when a table became available, which they duly did in about half an hour.

Anyway, it was excellent and I can see why this place has been getting good reviews.

We shared pig cheeks in a house sauce, gambas with garlic & chilli oil, lamb sweetbreads, patatas bravas and a portion of their paella of the day.

Everything was delicious, I honestly could have stayed there and ordered the entire menu it was that good.

From melt in the mouth slow-cooked pigs cheek served with an understated 'house sauce', to perfectly executed gambas al ajillo to lamb sweetbreads so tender and juicy they almost dissolved on your tongue, this was delicious, unpretentious food where the motto is clearly 'flavour flavour flavour'.

My taste buds were dancing throughout and though the portion sizes are pretty decent, I could happily and greedily have ordered more, and Mrs aidan24326 wholeheartedly agreed that a return visit will be happening sooner rather than later. The service too was friendly, efficient and unfussy, all in all a very enjoyable meal and would definitely recommend.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Their 7.77 brunch on sunday is great too, food lovely and great value, with some pretty good cocktails aswell if you're after a bit of a Sunday cure :)

So do tell, what did you think of it? (chameleon)

Tried Las Tapas De Lola recently for the first time.

It was a Saturday evening and we hadn't booked, so went there not really expecting to get a table and sure enough the place was bustling, but they said they'd call us when a table became available, which they duly did in about half an hour.

Anyway, it was excellent and I can see why this place has been getting good reviews.

We shared pig cheeks in a house sauce, gambas with garlic & chilli oil, lamb sweetbreads, patatas bravas and a portion of their paella of the day.

Everything was delicious, I honestly could have stayed there and ordered the entire menu it was that good.

From melt in the mouth slow-cooked pigs cheek served with an understated 'house sauce', to perfectly executed gambas al ajillo to lamb sweetbreads so tender and juicy they almost dissolved on your tongue, this was delicious, unpretentious food where the motto is clearly 'flavour flavour flavour'.

My taste buds were dancing throughout and though the portion sizes are pretty decent, I could happily and greedily have ordered more, and Mrs aidan24326 wholeheartedly agreed that a return visit will be happening sooner rather than later. The service too was friendly, efficient and unfussy, all in all a very enjoyable meal and would definitely recommend.

Another one on my list:D

Chameleon is very good service top notch food lovely ambience brilliant its a little gem thourally recomend

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Hootanany wrote: »
    Another one on my list:D

Chameleon is very good service top notch food lovely ambience brilliant its a little gem thourally recomend

I was disappointed by the fish menu in Chameleon. Very small portions of the fish you are given and taste wise nothing special, the meat dishes like beef rendang, chicken satay etc far outshine them. Other than that it was very enjoyable. Would go back again but just avoid the fish menu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Having read very positive reviews about Whitefriar on lovindublin headed along a few weeks ago. Major disappointment. Went for the surf and turf (they call it something else), the prawns were very visibly grey and soggy so sent them back. They returned with properly cooked ones but the whole thing was meh. Felt the whole thing was over-priced and generally style over substance - celtic tiger dining is once again alive and kicking in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Ignore anything and everything from lovindublin.

Have to agree - I'm getting increasingly skeptical of the reviews on lovindublin. I really thought he was hugely on the ball initially, especially with cheap and cheerful places (I will forever be in his debt for one or two spectacular pig-outs in Bison which I would never have otherwise found). Awful shame as it was a dead handy site :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

That's a pity bits_n_bobs. I've only ever had great brunches in Whitefriar, although a friend had a dodgy experience with an experimental sounding savoury brunch waffle once

To be fair it was dinner and all the great things I heard about them were about the brunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

I was disappointed by the fish menu in Chameleon. Very small portions of the fish you are given and taste wise nothing special, the meat dishes like beef rendang, chicken satay etc far outshine them. Other than that it was very enjoyable. Would go back again but just avoid the fish menu.

I had my worst ever restaurant experience in the Chameleon.

Maybe I need to give Tapas de Lola another chance, just found it very unremarkable the one time I ate there, not remotely on the same level as actual Spanish tapas, or even the Port House which I find the best tapas in Dublin.

Ate the set menu in Rustic Stone for the second time in a few months today, and although portion sizes aren't huge, the raw menu is really tasty and both the tuna and beef roll mains are fantastic. I find their wine fairly aggressively priced though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Bateman wrote: »
    Maybe I need to give Tapas de Lola another chance, just found it very unremarkable the one time I ate there, not remotely on the same level as actual Spanish tapas, or even the Port House which I find the best tapas in Dublin.

I concur. Ate there a few weeks ago, service was great, had a lovely bottle of wine which the waitress recommended but was a bit meh about the food.

• Site Banned Posts: 69 ✭✭Dr. Lollington

I had a meal in Gallaghers Boxty House a few weeks ago and have been flying it's flag ever since. My boyfriend keeps telling me to stop banging on about it! lol

The restaurant itself is quite understated but welcoming, the staff are charming and friendly and the food is delicious. We shared the ribs to start and the succelent meat fell off the bone and barely required chewing. It came with a lovely sticky sauce. I had the chicken boxy and it melted in my mouth. My friend had the burger and it was huge. Both dishes were massive actually so go there if you want a good feed. Top marks all round, I can't wait to go back there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

need to give this deal a plug

http://whitefriargrill.ie/restaurant-dublin-brunch/autumn-la-carte-offer-21/

3 courses from there A La Carte (No restructions) + €30 towards any bottle of wine. didn't charge us for our Irish coffees either.

all for €75. Bought the voucher and used it that night.

Food was delicious.

Can't recommend it enough.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

JimmyD85, I've deleted your post. Boards.ie is not the place to carry out your market research.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Hey Guys. I've permission with TBH (MOD) to get this thread going again- any interest with regular posters and/or foodies to post experiences of restaurants again? Nothing too major like Tripadvisor or anything- just keep it where you had a good experience i guess or near enough to something good- anyway, let's see how it goes. I'll post a review of a recent good experience in the next few days.

below is the sample first post from the OP:

I believe it would be handy to have a restaurant guide of some sort....
    what do ya think Kayos?

last night I and the other half went to El Bahia, a Moroccan Restaurant on Wicklow St. (I think/not sure) on the right hand side of that road almost facing Tower Records. You have to look out for a red door, as it is on the second and third floor of the building.
    it's a real taste of Morocco, decoration, lamps, music...
    the weekends are very busy in this restaurant and there are two sittings on Friday and Sat. night (I hate that!) you have to book well in advance, I advise to go during the week, as you can sit there as long as you like.
    It is owned by an Moroccan and he tries to keep it as authentic as possible.
    To start, to wash your hands, you are brought out a large jug and basin, they pour sented water over you hands. nice

We had the cous cous royal which was delicious and so big I couldn't finish it. We had moroccan red wine with the meal, La Curvee President I believe it was called, very tasty.
    and to finish, moroccan coffee, a very unusual taste which I really liked.
    The bill came to 64 eurons which is as good as you're gonna get in this ridiculously overpriced town of ours.
    Highly recommended

Headed along to a Bread and Bones (http://breadandbones.ie) last week for brunch. It's situated at the Millenium Walkway. The interior is yet another take on pallets and industrial building site stuff, which was interesting'ish when Mother Hubbards did it 4 years ago but has not gotten any more comfortable since...

Service was great, music was being played at what I would consider a loud level but not pumping. The food is descibed as Asian-street food. I had a bowl of chicken noodles which I thought were very good with a proper depth of chicken favour however they were a bit light on chilli for my taste. Having said that there was some chilli sauce which I could of dumped on it. At €12 I thought it was a bit on the expensive side, especially in comparision to the €14/€16 brunch options available round the corner at the Winding Stairs.

My pal had a side of wings which came with an Asian viniagrette. The viniagrette was a bit light on the chilli but tasty enough. They were reasonably crunchy - grand but bland probably sums it up for me.

I'd happily return for another crack at a different noodle dish or one of the 'Bao' things - which are some sort of steamed buns.

So interesting but thus far not compellingly great food however worth a visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Probably already been on this thread but I was at Crackbird on Dame Street at the weekend. Amazing stuff. Got a buttermilk chicken and three sides (croquets, potato salad and slaw), along with a caraffe of pretty decent wine. Chicken was fantastic, perfectly spice and so tender. The potato salad was a thing of beauty. O and we also got a burnt lemon and feta sauce. I'd have licked it out of the bowl if I'd been at home on my own. Amazingly good. The meal came to 45 with the wine. One chicken and a couple of sides is perfect between two so if you left out the wine it'd be around the 30 euro mark. Can't go too far wrong with that.

They don't take bookings and are quite "hipster" but the staff were faultless and very helpful. Decor is grand with quite basic seats and tables. Fine dining it is not but it is super tasty. SO much so that herself wants to go back again at the weekend. No arguments from me with that plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Most recent meals were at Taco Taco and East Side Tavern. Worlds apart. Already posted on another forum about the bad experience at Taco Taco. It's bad imitation mexican food. Really get the impression that its a kitchen that simply doesn't care, the restaurant is more about being hip than serving decent food.
    East Side Tavern, however, gets the balance spot on, feels a bit hipsterish but the staff are great and the food better. I got a daily special of 'gnocchi and oxtail ragu with shaved parmesan'. The sauce was deep without veering into cloying. The only fault was with bar staff who maybe need to get more acquainted with their impressive spirit collection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Was in the Dean Hotel, Harcourt St, Dublin recently. You get a lift up to the 5th floor to the rooftop bar/restaurant. They have an outside area also, which is very popular, especially at weekends.

Wine is a bit overpriced, even at Dublin prices but you're paying for the surround reviews which in fairness is worth it. Cocktails are popular with the ladies and look good. The menu has lots of good starters like carpaccio beef, squid etc for under 10 euro (yes, still pricy i know)- main courses are just OK - i think you're better off getting a good starters and then going for one of their wood-fired pizzas which are tasty indeed.

Chocolate and caramel sauce with ice-cream is recommended for desert.

all in all- worth a visit, especially for the views.

Mrs B & I hit Cork at the weekend & had a couple of amazing meals...

Friday was at No 5 Fenn's Quay - a cozy spot close to the center. For starters, Mrs B went for a Ardsallagh goat's cheese souffle - wonderfully puffy & not overly 'goaty', while I had pork bon bons - fried balls of shredded pork & onion with local black pudding.

We both had the feather blade of beef with chips for the main. The meat was unbelievably tender & really 'beefy'. The portions didn't appear large, but we had to pass on dessert.

The wine list wasn't massive, but covered all the bases & most wines were available by the glass & half litre carafe. We had a Malbec (not normally a favourite of mine) which perfectly complimented the dishes. (Thanks, JJ!)

My socks were totally knocked off on Saturday at Miyazaki on Evergreen St. It is really a takeaway, but there are a few high stools where you can perch yourself while you eat the most amazing Japanese food. The charming lady serving us talked us through the menu (which was a bit alien to me tbh).

Mrs B went for chicken katsu & I had the lemon ramen with pork rib. Quite possibly the 'happiest' meal that I've ever eaten. It was so delicious - I walked out of there grinning from ear to ear. Chef Takeshi came out & had a chat with us after the meal. A lovely man & a culinary genius. If Mrs B had let me I would have stayed & tried to eat my way through the rest of the menu. :D Any time I burped for the remainder of the evening I got to re-taste ramen & it made me smile again each time. TMI maybe.

I want to move to Cork.

(Thanks to @tomdoorley & others for the recommendations. ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭squonk

Mrs B & I hit Cork at the weekend & had a couple of amazing meals...

Friday was at No 5 Fenn's Quay - a cozy spot close to the center. For starters, Mrs B went for a Ardsallagh goat's cheese souffle - wonderfully puffy & not overly 'goaty', while I had pork bon bons - fried balls of shredded pork & onion with local black pudding.

We both had the feather blade of beef with chips for the main. The meat was unbelievably tender & really 'beefy'. The portions didn't appear large, but we had to pass on dessert.

The wine list wasn't massive, but covered all the bases & most wines were available by the glass & half litre carafe. We had a Malbec (not normally a favourite of mine) which perfectly complimented the dishes. (Thanks, JJ!)

My socks were totally knocked off on Saturday at Miyazaki on Evergreen St. It is really a takeaway, but there are a few high stools where you can perch yourself while you eat the most amazing Japanese food. The charming lady serving us talked us through the menu (which was a bit alien to me tbh).

Mrs B went for chicken katsu & I had the lemon ramen with pork rib. Quite possibly the 'happiest' meal that I've ever eaten. It was so delicious - I walked out of there grinning from ear to ear. Chef Takeshi came out & had a chat with us after the meal. A lovely man & a culinary genius. If Mrs B had let me I would have stayed & tried to eat my way through the rest of the menu. :D Any time I burped for the remainder of the evening I got to re-taste ramen & it made me smile again each time. TMI maybe.

I want to move to Cork.

(Thanks to @tomdoorley & others for the recommendations. ;))

You'll be a loss to Skerries HB if you go!! :)

• Advertisement

Thanks squonk! Speaking of Skerries - we had a damn fine meal in Fifty4 Pasta Pizza last Thursday. Mrs B went for a spicy pizza with pepperoni & jalapeños, & I had a perfectly cooked rib eye with real homemade chips & a few craft beers.

Service was super as always!

Advertisement