Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Treated like dirt in a well known bar/restraunt

Options
  • 21-07-2016 3:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

Hi, I need your advice ,I met a party of family (a brother who's home from the state's for the first time in 20 year's - with his family) and member's of the family and 2 friends earlier yesterday afternoon here.
    I met them in Athlone and after picking them up and getting through rush hour traffic and the M50 brought them to a beautiful seafront harbor area in north Dublin.
    I rang the restaurant at least 10 time's on Tue's to make a reservation - got through and left a voicemail - to which they did not respond to - then because I had their web page opened - I booked a reservation for a table of 8 people on-line .. for yesterday evening Wen's at 6.30 pm and received a booking confirmation e-mail and reservation table number online.
    To cut a long story short,I was basically told after driving for 2 hour's or so,too bad ,our web site is crap, and another member of staff told me- we don't listen to our voicemail's - even though I had a print out of the e-mail confirmation and presented it - could you get out of the way - you and your party are holding up the Q behind you.
    I have been in every type of pub's / kip's/takeaway's /roadside diner's /dump's of B n B's and all the rest - up and down this country and across the world from one end to another- but for once I am in shock - embarrassed and flabbergasted at being treated so badly in a run of the mill pub who's only claim to fame - is having a nice view of a harbor area - but serve food that is in no way extraordinary and is readily available in any decent pub/restaurant in the country.
    You are the expert's I am asking advice off - I do not dine out a lot in the last 2 year's due my wife's and I's ill heath - and even then going to a so called restaurant would be a treat - I am asking you - What do I do,if anything can be done - my whole family here and abroad are outraged at the way we treated in a so called Famous restaurant ,,, all I know is I'm still awake at 3.45am in the morning because the whole rotten experience and embarrassment won't leave me and let me be - will you all please advise - Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭constance tench

dslamjack wrote: »
    Hi, I need your advice ,I met a party of family (a brother who's home from the state's for the first time in 20 year's - with his family) and member's of the family and 2 friends earlier yesterday afternoon here.
    I met them in Athlone and after picking them up and getting through rush hour traffic and the M50 brought them to a beautiful seafront harbor area in north Dublin.
    I rang the restaurant at least 10 time's on Tue's to make a reservation - got through and left a voicemail - to which they did not respond to - then because I had their web page opened - I booked a reservation for a table of 8 people on-line .. for yesterday evening Wen's at 6.30 pm and received a booking confirmation e-mail and reservation table number online.
    To cut a long story short,I was basically told after driving for 2 hour's or so,too bad ,our web site is crap, and another member of staff told me- we don't listen to our voicemail's - even though I had a print out of the e-mail confirmation and presented it - could you get out of the way - you and your party are holding up the Q behind you.
    I have been in every type of pub's / kip's/takeaway's /roadside diner's /dump's of B n B's and all the rest - up and down this country and across the world from one end to another- but for once I am in shock - embarrassed and flabbergasted at being treated so badly in a run of the mill pub who's only claim to fame - is having a nice view of a harbor area - but serve food that is in no way extraordinary and is readily available in any decent pub/restaurant in the country.
    You are the expert's I am asking advice off - I do not dine out a lot in the last 2 year's due my wife's and I's ill heath - and even then going to a so called restaurant would be a treat - I am asking you - What do I do,if anything can be done - my whole family here and abroad are outraged at the way we treated in a so called Famous restaurant ,,, all I know is I'm still awake at 3.45am in the morning because the whole rotten experience and embarrassment won't leave me and let me be - will you all please advise - Thank you

Don't know why you bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭dslamjack

Don't know why you bothered.
    Thank you

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Bad review on trip advisor? Letter to manager/owner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Not saying their behaviour was right, it's appalling. Just curious as to why did you travel so far for somewhere you'd don't rate that highly?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭hearmehearye

I wouldn't go down the trip advisor route immediately.

If you were having such issues getting through by phone and yet were magically able to book a table straight away online, that should have been your first flag. It's also curious that you didn't try to confirm the online booking by phone.

I'd try to perhaps talk to the manager if it's really bothering you, but I'd chalk this up as being an experience and move on if it were me. Your own word of mouth amongst your family will cause them enough reputational damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

There is not much you can besides tell people of your experience. TripAdvisor is your best bet to warn other potential patrons of the issues you've encountered. Id also advise you not fester on it, its not a good experience but it's not good for you to keep a hold of it either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Write to the manager. Registered post.

Mention in the letter that if you get no reply within a stated, reasonable, timeframe then you will put a detailed bad review on Trip Advisor. Follow through on that.

There's not much else you can really do.

What, exactly, are you looking for here?

Recompense? Monetary, a voucher? Would you even go back to a place that treated you like that in the first instance?

An apology? In writing?

You could try approaching one of the local papers like The North County Leader or the Fingal Independent, but if the place you are talking about advertises with either of those publications then good luck with getting them to print a story badmouthing them.

Where did you actually go in the end?

Don't forget to leave a good review on their Trip Advisor page if you feel they deserve it, too many people only complain about bad service, and don't give recognition for good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

Also put up a bad review on Google maps in addition to trip adviser so people driving around will see it. After that personally I wouldn't be bothered going any further as what joy will come out of it? Review and move on so hopefully the next person knows to avoid them.

Thank you all so much for your advice ... I will put it down to experience in the cold light of day .. but I made sure that everybody within earshot heard my complaint.
    They say we Irish don't complain at the point of bad service .. well I certainly did .. the ''manageress'' was in the word's of my wife - rude ,arrogant and down right ignorant.
    I will of course do all you say and will report them to Failte Ireland, Dublin Tourism,North county tourism ,along with trip adviser,lonely planet,and their Facebook and Twitter etc - they will get a less than favourably review - that I can assure you.
    I had travelled 4.5 hour's or so down to Athlone and back,looking forward with my guest's to a relaxing meal and just couldn't believe the attitude of the ''manageress'' even though I had a confirmed booking print out in my hand - the attitude was get out of the way your holding up the Q.
    I cannot abide rudeness in lieu of common decency ,if there was even an an attempt of an apology for the mix up on their website I may have understood,but no just pure down right rude and that in my book in any establishment that serve's and depend's on the public for their income and living is just not good enough - not today - tonight or any time -- again thank you for your replies I was tired this morning when I posted the OP - I thought I might have been over reacting,and I know in the the big scheme of thing's it probably mean's nothing to the business concerned,but a bit like the Lotto if your not in etc and if we don't complain you will only get as good as they think they can get away with.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Or just don't go again?

TBH, if they're as out the door busy as you describe, OP, they're not going to give a toss about your review on trip advisor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

If its the place I think it is (a well known place in Howth?) I had a similar experience but didnt go when I didnt get a reply. I emailed on the Tuesday for a Sunday booking, no response. I called Thursday and Friday and left voicemails.

Someone replied to my email 10 days later asking if I still wanted the table (for the previous Sunday).

I dont see what you can do other than whats been suggested above though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I feel for you, OP. That was an extremely trying day and all you were trying to do was show your relations what a beautiful place Dublin can be. It's worth raising the website issue with management once more, in a letter or via telephone, in the cold light of day, away from the context of that dinnertime queue. Then head down the TripAdvisor route. As a potential customer, I'd certainly appreciate knowing that bookings via the website aren't worth the paper they're printed on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

endacl wrote: »
    TBH, if they're as out the door busy as you describe, OP, they're not going to give a toss about your review on trip advisor.

Oh but they will. Get enough bad reviews on tripadvisor and they won't be "out the door" for long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Story Bud?

Just be prepared for them to try and rip your review to shreds on trip advisor if that's what they're like. Write factually instead of emotionally. Using words like "outraged" will just make it look like a rant rather than a genuine review.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

One of the best restraurant a I've ever eaten in is in athlone. If I can name it its. Thyme, fab food and service go everytime I visit athlone. Think it's no 1 on trip advisor. Treat yourself to a nice meal there you won't go wrong.

Oh but they will. Get enough bad reviews on tripadvisor and they won't be "out the door" for long.

Do Irish people really use TripAdvisor? I've never looked for a review of a food establishment in Ireland on TripAdvisor I've only used it to look up reviews of hotels when I'm abroad.

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    Do Irish people really use TripAdvisor? I've never looked for a review of a food establishment in Ireland on TripAdvisor I've only used it to look up reviews of hotels when I'm abroad.

Yeah I certainly do.
    I thought a lot of people did tbh.

Wow I can't believe the response from you all and I thought I was just tired out and that I was wrong to expect just prompt efficient service at the end of a fairly long day and a trip over here for my brother that I had not seen in person for 20 year's - I had promised him and his daughter a beautiful evening meal ,a drink and a stroll along the harbour front to round off their visit to Ireland and Dublin.
    I did't have to worry because I went 2 door's down ,explained to a very polite waiter my situation and within minute's we were all seated and attended to in the manner you would expect from any half decent eating place in the country,so the evening was not ruined.
    But I will be wiser the next time I save my money up to dine out for as I said it is a treat for my wife and I these day's ,as I said I'm a tolerant man like most people but rudeness and bad service for the sake of it ,I won't and will never tolerate,we work hard enough to have these occasional outing's and like they used to say in the old day's good manner's and soap cost nothing.

In the States.
    We really don't. My OH does, but freely admits she only logs the reviews from yanks.
    Yeah I certainly do.
    See above. I've a friend who has a nice little cafe in south Dublin, who got one bad review (reads like a grumpy whinge from a silly auld bint with nothing better to do). And a worse on a couple of days later complaining that he hadn't responded to the first. He printed them, framed them, and proudly displays them in the jacks.

I think we see trip advisor for what it is, rather than what genuine users of such a site might wish it to be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Being from Someone I'm surprised you didn't arrange to eat in Linnanes in Newquay Clare,Vaughan's in Liscannor or any eating places along the coast of Clare.
    Far better views and less traffic congestion than Dublin...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Yeah I certainly do.

They really don't. A lot of irish people if they like the place tend to eat, enjoy the experience and use word of mouth etc. If they didn't like a place, then when complaining about it, are directed to the likes of Trip advisor to complain along with facebook etc.

For every 10 customers that like a restaurant, let's say it's like 1 - 2 people who will go and leave a good review as they are content. For every 10 customers that had a bad experience with a restaurant, then 7 of them will end up on social media to complain about it with maybe 3 just taking it on the chin and vowing not to go back and then forgetting about it.

If the place is busy enough that the likes of the OP are travelling 4 hours to eat there and they are out the door busy, then they simply won't care about a bad review and a threat to leave a bad review is usually laughed off. Of course just my opinion and not a representation of all restaurant owners out there but I think you may genuinely be shocked at how many just don't care or understand.

I had to show trip advisor to the owner of my place for the first time there 2 weeks ago. He hadn't a clue about it and didn't care. He's not short on business either.

As for OP, make a complaint to a senior person if you can. If the manageress gets a bollocking over it, it could be a good thing. Some staff just have no clue how to treat customers and don't wanna work with public. I had a group of 9 walk in last night with no prior booking and little staff on. 2 mins and everyone was seated and orders taken, food freshly made and served within minutes and everyone taken care of along with other customers in the place. No booking needed even tho you can book. Some places have staff that can deal with it and others don't.

dslamjack wrote: »
    Wow I can't believe the response from you all and I thought I was just tired out and that I was wrong to expect just prompt efficient service at the end of a fairly long day and a trip over here for my brother that I had not seen in person for 20 year's - I had promised him and his daughter a beautiful evening meal ,a drink and a stroll along the harbour front to round off their visit to Ireland and Dublin.
    I did't have to worry because I went 2 door's down ,explained to a very polite waiter my situation and within minute's we were all seated and attended to in the manner you would expect from any half decent eating place in the country,so the evening was not ruined.
    But I will be wiser the next time I save my money up to dine out for as I said it is a treat for my wife and I these day's ,as I said I'm a tolerant man like most people but rudeness and bad service for the sake of it ,I won't and will never tolerate,we work hard enough to have these occasional outing's and like they used to say in the old day's good manner's and soap cost nothing.

So.....

You drove hours for pub grub, but the first pub was full? So you strolled two doors down and got sorted? That's what this is about?

Maybe you should forget about the first place and leave a nice review on the website of your choice for the second? Why not have started a thread about the nice pub that came to your rescue instead of whinging about the one that let you down...?

;)

endacl wrote: »
    We really don't.

As a random exercise I just checked Tripadvisor reviews of the number one restaurant in Athlone. (seeing as the OP mentioned Athlone)

Out of the most recent 8 reviews, 4 came from Navan, Tullamore, Dublin and Mayo.

That's just the first page. 50% of them being Irish.

Anyway, venturing off topic here I suppose. I'm just surprised people think that irish people don't read these reviews as I do myself and know many others who do.

As a random exercise I just checked Tripadvisor reviews of the number one restaurant in Athlone. (seeing as this topic is about Athlone restaurants)

Out of the most recent 8 reviews, 4 came from Navan, Tullamore, Dublin and Mayo.

Anyway, venturing off topic here I suppose. I'm just surprised people think that irish people don't read these reviews as I do myself and know many others who do.

I thought the restaurant was in North Dublin?

I thought the restaurant was in North Dublin?

Sorry yes, edited my post.

Did same with Dublin tripadvisor restaurants there now. Again, same result, 4 from 8 reviews (of the number one rated restaurant) on first page from Ireland.
    Actually all 4 from Dublin.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

As a random exercise I just checked Tripadvisor reviews of the number one restaurant in Athlone. (seeing as this topic is about Athlone restaurants)

I have to agree, I use TripAdvisor quite a lot. I'm more likely to read reviews when I'm in a place I don't know very well to find somewhere decent (whether Ireland or abroad) but I also write reviews for places both here and abroad.

OP I'd contact management to tell them of your experience in a calm and rational manner - no blustering about how you are outraged or how they ruined your brother's holiday or anything like that - the minute you get over-emotional, they are likely to dismiss you as being dramatic and overreacting. Stick to the facts, the service below what you would expect anywhere, the embarrassment of being asked to move aside for other customers, how you'd heard great things about their establishment and were disappointed, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

OP, sometimes pubs or restauants in scenic or seaside locations often have a lot of transient customers. As you yourself said you travelled there because of the location and view just like the crowd that was already there. In these type of situations, the view is the golden ticket, unique selling point (USP). If people will come anyway they don't need to focus on customer service or food and they already know this although sometimes these kind of establishments can fall out of favour too in time. Sorry you had a bad experience. It probably won't affect their business even if you do write a complaint or review.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 gerrymaguire

I would agree with what has been said previously regarding writing a letter. If nothing else it will make you feel better! Its not that you're expecting something for nothing, you are expressing your disappointment at their lack of professionalism.

If by any chance, they offer you a voucher or other form of compensation, politely tell them no. Tell them that it is too far a distance to travel, but that you would be delighted to accept a monetary gift to a local charity or sports club in your area. The beauty of this is that if they send it, you can let all the people know why they've sent it. If they don't send it then they look even worse than before.

I wouldn't put in a threat about putting a bad review in Trip Advisor though. The bottom line is that you "did" have a bad experience and I would write about it anyway.

Also, try to take the emotion out of it. Be factual and give them very little to come back with in a response other than they are sorry.

Finally, let us all know your Trip Advisor name so we can go and read the review!

They really don't. A lot of irish people if they like the place tend to eat, enjoy the experience and use word of mouth etc. If they didn't like a place, then when complaining about it, are directed to the likes of Trip advisor to complain along with facebook etc.

For every 10 customers that like a restaurant, let's say it's like 1 - 2 people who will go and leave a good review as they are content. For every 10 customers that had a bad experience with a restaurant, then 7 of them will end up on social media to complain about it with maybe 3 just taking it on the chin and vowing not to go back and then forgetting about it.

If the place is busy enough that the likes of the OP are travelling 4 hours to eat there and they are out the door busy, then they simply won't care about a bad review and a threat to leave a bad review is usually laughed off. Of course just my opinion and not a representation of all restaurant owners out there but I think you may genuinely be shocked at how many just don't care or understand.

I had to show trip advisor to the owner of my place for the first time there 2 weeks ago. He hadn't a clue about it and didn't care. He's not short on business either.

As for OP, make a complaint to a senior person if you can. If the manageress gets a bollocking over it, it could be a good thing. Some staff just have no clue how to treat customers and don't wanna work with public. I had a group of 9 walk in last night with no prior booking and little staff on. 2 mins and everyone was seated and orders taken, food freshly made and served within minutes and everyone taken care of along with other customers in the place. No booking needed even tho you can book. Some places have staff that can deal with it and others don't.

Yawns - I take my hat off to you .. I have worked for 36 year's across all types of customer service .. you are why our economy is picking up and customer's will remember your goodwill and service ..you are a credit to yourself and your business and I can only wish you the best of luck in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭littelady

Its a typical Irish problem (im irish btw) we dont like to complain, if the food is horrible, bad service we say nothing and still leave a tip. How dare they treat you so bad. If they cant organise the reservations desk I can only imagine the kitchen. I would absolutely post bad reviews disgraceful behavior.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement