Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coming out - some advice?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

the 'happy' gene and the humour gene do not necessarily go hand-in-hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Hi there,
    I'm not gay but in some way's I know where your'e coming from. When I was 18 I got my 17(barely:) ) year old girlfriend pregnant. Then I live'd in a small town so at the start everybody talked about me,(for my fiancee it was worse). I learnet then be very very careful who you tell, family included, but at that age we were all thinking about the years ahead. I dunno but about 16.7345666 I matured, so be safe wait until your sure. Now most of my buddies supported me, but none of them said they were gay but at that age I know I would have been beside them but at 15 I dunno.Now I know that 15 would be too young to accept but at 17 I would have, strange :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

(Dragging up old posts)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

u robz0red it!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

noel, just wanted to repeat what some have said... dont rush into making any fast judgements about your sexuality at such a young age, think about it

and if you do tell any of your friends becareful who and if its the right time to do so.

what every you do good look with it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Originally posted by Seraphina
    people may accidently say something and things can spread very easliy. there's nothing wrong with people knowing your sexual orientation however 15 year old boys aren't exactly the most mature people in the world, and you probably would get abuse about it.

Where you see probably read, definately. As a rule fifteen year old boys are in fact a lower order of life then the rest of the human species and are totally obsessed with being men (which they aren't being fifteen), thus are the most likely to give you stick about being gay.

For what it's worth, tell a close girlfriend (maybe) and that is it. Fifteen year old boys of the ilk (especially in a co-ed school) will use you as a means of looking cool in front of their friends and chicks in general and will definately play the fag card.

If I were you, I would leave it until I was eighteen or in college, because while there are bound to be guys who are chilled out about you being gay, for the most part all you will meet is ignorance, bigotry, misunderstanding and hatred from males of that age who are mostly just unevolved, immature non-simians. Guys who will feel insecure about you being gay and will use your sexuality to endeer themselves to the group.
    Typically at this age any and all permutations of what is classically ascribed as being 'deviant' are extricated, quelled and smited by largely unintelligent group psychosis neonates come adolescants and said adolescants ability to determine right from wrong is utterly subsumed by their desire to cope with their raging hormones, and for this reason, if I were you, I would keep my mouth shut and my head down.

Leave the publicity of your sexual orientation, until you get into a more mature crowd of people, say around the 18-19 year old mark.

That'd be my take anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

I came out as bisexual to my classmates when I was at school (some years before I came out to my mother BTW). One thing that certainly made this easier was that the first person I came out to was a friend who had hinted that she was bi as well. So I came out to her, she came out to me, and we had a little school LGB society! (Lacking the L and G compontents).

This certainly made it a lot easier to come out to others, and probably reduced the risk of violence as well (anyone who might attack me might think twice about attacking me and a camogie-stick wielding dyke ;) ).

Of course it also helped that I knew that my closest friends were strongly pro-Gay Rights before hand.

Advertisement