Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we have a cannabis board?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

Originally posted by Mercury_Tilt

I still dont think its right though. it is illegal.

its illegal at the moment!
    There are campaigns going on at the moment to have it legalised.
    its legal in the netherlands(why should they have all the fun) and its been decriminalised in the UK so given time it will (hopefully) be legalised.

Alot of people want it legalised and alot of others don't so this forum will be a place to discuss your views which ever side your on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Way I see it...

If the board is disguised under a suitable title, and if there are enough moderaters the board should be ok. The reason I wouldn't want people with their drug horror stories posting would be simply because some muppet would just have to argue against them and piss them off and, hence everybody off. Like how I personally could relate horror stories of alcoholicism, but would rather not cause someone would probably pop in to state "alcohol is fantastic you idiot" halfway through (don't have any problem with booze though, in case you're wondering)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

might serve some useful informative purpose but would probally degenerate into mindless flame fest.
    Given the ammount of acknowledged drug users on the board a specific cannabis board would not be detrimental to the general standing of boards.ie

maybe the board should be in the community section and thus not *officially* endorsed be the boards management.With a sticky disclaimer about the veiws expressed within not representing the veiws of the management.

I am in general favour of such a board if handled responsibly.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Originally posted by Clintons Cat
    might serve some useful informative purpose but would probally degenerate into mindless flame fest.

Well thats my worry also - but sure, such is life. I *don't* smoke the stuff (before anyone says anything - I have done previously, just don't now), but I don't care who does and fully support the right of those who smoke it to do so - but gut feeling says this board might become a "muppet magnet" ;)

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

To avoid potential powder keg exploding, you could;
    1. Set up a forum where the posts have to be pre-approved by the moderators..
    2. Choose moderators, including your self, that you really trust...

At least do it this way in the begining to see how it goes... you can always tweak it later...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

I think this contains most of what will be discused on the proposed board, as well as a lot of other drugs. It remind you of what kind of a headache this topic can be.

On a personal note, having a board specificaly to dicuss cannabis will bring unwanted legal attention. Its better to leave it to the humanitites board. I really doubt there is enough sensible topics to warrant a board of it own.

And setting it up to discuss health issues is dodgy. There are reports out that say it goo and others that say it bad for you. Which do you believe? It will all end in tears.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

so has a decision been made yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

What would a dedicated board add to the discussion of the issue of cannabis that a couple of decent threads in Humanities wouldn't completely resolve?

With the unwanted attention it could bring to boards.ie and the high (no pun intended) potential for muppettry of the highest order, it's something I'd prefer not to see.

K

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Originally posted by freemasons
    corey from slipknot smkoed a hash joint in his mouth for half an hour and then went into a coma for a week.

do you really want this to happen to everyone on this bored?

That's gotta be a load of bullshít!! Went into a coma!?!? My arsé.
    Someone tell me that this guy's here purely to take the píss! Everyone on boards.ie is suddenly gonna start smoking hash because a new board pops up!!! Haha :D

I don't think the proposal is to make a purely pro cannabis board, and try to convince people to start smoking. It's for a discussion board. I'd say it would be a good board, but I agree with most others here, in that there would probably be a lot of crap on it, so a good few mods and a close eye on it at all times. If that's too much hassle then there's no point in doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

How much can you post about Canabis?? with the exception of .. smoked some pot, had a good time.. dont remember a thing.. and move those words around a bit and you have every possible post.. only thing worth posting would be the other applications of canabis.. like paper, fuel, clothing, rope, foodstuffs, oils etc...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Originally posted by Saruman
    How much can you post about Canabis?? with the exception of .. smoked some pot, had a good time.. dont remember a thing.. and move those words around a bit and you have every possible post.. only thing worth posting would be the other applications of canabis.. like paper, fuel, clothing, rope, foodstuffs, oils etc...

Actually, thats quite a good point Saruman.

After all the main discussion is worn out, you'll prolly get nothin but muppets going "hash is cool" or on the other hand "drugs suck" etc...

There really isn't enough to discuss about cannabis to merit a whole board, is there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 stackboundary

Perhaps better to have a Linux forum, so that us techies can escape logic1's tyrrany.

slackies.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by BuffyBoy
    There really isn't enough to discuss about cannabis to merit a whole board, is there?

I dunno. I wouldnt have thought there was enough to discuss about the lack of connectivity in Ireland to merit an IrelandOffline board, but it gets good traffic.

Sure, if it boils down to a periodic "whats your opinion" post, starting the same old tired routine again and again, then fair enough - kill it. However, there is quite a lot happening in this area, both from a legislative and research angles, and discussion of this can only be a good thing.

I think a general "drugs" forum might be better than just one for cannabis. As someone (several someones?) suggested, it should be an "approved poster" board, like CS was made. Make sure you have plenty of moderators (3?), and work out a strict set of rules and guidelines in advance. You need "bastid" mods - people who will run the thing ruthlessly if needed. Names like Gandalf, Shinji, and Castor Troy spring to mind, but I'm sure there's others too.

One last thing - in any argument/discussion about drugs, there will always be the uninformed. THis is no reason to be banned from the board. If this is a "restricted area", we should still be willing to put up with the "Jesus cries when you take drugs" level of intelligence - its only the illegal (or borderline illegal) areas (where to buy, who to buy from, deal-arranging etc.) which should be toughly enforced.

jc

Thats probably true Bonkey.. still a grey area though.. is there any way boards could be held accountable if someone DID post a brochure and where to buy drugs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Kraken

poll the idea. only way to see how it goes!
    i suggest options like

yes get the board
    no dont
    yes get the board but have it for all types of drugs (for discussion purposes)
    check the legeal issues behind it first
    atari jaguar (well why not)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

Here is an example of the various topics that could be covered by a cannabis board,
    Spam Warning

Tue there is a LOT about Cannabis that is good that is nothing to do with the narcotic side.. in fact Undustial Hemp has no narcotic side and all the benefits of the cannabis plant in terms of uses.

However how much of this will be discussed? the rest will be all about the narcotic side i imagine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

Where do I vote ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Kraken

poll added

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

Sorry I wasn't thinking with a clear head the Atari jaguar caught my eye !

Originally posted by Saruman
    Thats probably true Bonkey.. still a grey area though.. is there any way boards could be held accountable if someone DID post a brochure and where to buy drugs?

It depends on the local (Irish) laws, which I'm not up on.

However, you'd generally find that agreeing to co-operation with the legal authorities (should the need arise) would almost be a "pre-requisite" for setting up the board, and that agreement to this would be included in the Ts & Cs you'd have to agree to in order to be given post-access.

In other words...for me to be able to post on the board, I would have to agree (for example) to allow Overfiend deVore give up my IP address and posting details to the cops should they ever have just cause to request it based on my activity on the board.

Not perfect, I know, but its the best way of covering your ass that I can see. Take the onus off boards.ie and put it back on the posters.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

end of the day - if you support it or not - its illegal..

if you want to provide a forum for drug dealers then go ahead, I would be against it myself...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Ser

yeh illegal there still, theres a kewl cannibis march/festifal thing going on in the park next to my house (i can see it from the window!) is a kewl day, this saturday will be hot too, is paked with people sellin good skunk. cant beat a good hot day on Brockwell park with a skunk spliff:>

the law on it is so relaxed now around brixton area, so many shops sell it here,wont be long now till they spread it all over london i think, all the police i have spoken to want it to happen. end of the day it wont be hurtin anyone, and can stop the street dealin and control it better.

all for it

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by tHE vAGGABOND

if you want to provide a forum for drug dealers then go ahead, I would be against it myself...

I'm with Vagga on this. Regardless of how you think about it, it is currently illegal so I think at worst case you shouldn't name the board as such or just made a medical board which allows such posts in a legal sense.

I mean what's going to be on the board? How many threads does "Drugs are good/bad for you" going to make? The rest I can see a toss up with "Dude I'm so toasted right now" to "Where can I score some stuff".

If that's the case why not open a "Prostitution" board? It could be used to discuss such issues as...

1. Legalisation
    2. Health Issues
    3. Policy and policing issues.
    4. Social impact and personal experience.
    5. Where to get reaaaaaally good skank from.

Unauthorised possession is illegal.

Discussion about the drug, its effects, the research done into it, its industrial uses, the legal products you can get from it, and where to find them. These are all legal, as are many other aspects.

In fact, the only possibly illegal activity would be facilitating dealers. Funnily, that doesnt require a "cannabis board" - it could just as easily be on the After Hours board (for example).

Guess we should shut that down as well, because it might be used for illegal purposes.

Hmmm - better be careful and shut down all of the boards before they're usef for this.

Because thats all the board would be for, right? Dealers. I mean - its been obvious that all the posts so far on how to prevent it becoming such an entity were all pulling the p1ss - what we really want is a forum for discussing where to score, and we're all just pretending otherwise.

Have you even read this thread yet? You know - the one where people in support of the idea have been trying to propose ideas to prevent exactly what you believe the board will be?

Maybe youre right - maybe it will only get full of muppets. Just like the CS board. Oh no, wait - they got rid of most/all of that by requiring "posting approval". Or maybe like the Personal Issues board is because you can post unregistered - oh, hang on....it seems reasonably under control too.

Is there any reason to believe that this would become nothing but a dealer-haven as you seem to suggest, and that deVore would be so blindly idiotic as to not shut it down as a failed experiment should that happen?

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

My heart says yes but meh brane says no. So I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭FatB

unfortunatly, i think we should check the legal situation first! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

bonkey - take it out of context if you want, but reasonable people know what I mean..

I live with 2 smokers, it does not bother me - but at the end of the day its one of these topics that the press and/or politicans would jump on if it became topical..

You can see the sun or the star "boards.ie is a forum for drug dealing" even if it was not -> all we are saying is that to stay on the side of caution would not be a bad thing..

• Advertisement

bonkey - take it out of context if you want, but reasonable people know what I mean..

Oh - you didnt mean what you posted then, when you said "if you want to provide a forum for drug dealers then go ahead"

Either you mean it would become a board for drug-dealers, or you mean something other than what you've written.

If I'm being unreasonable by taking this at face value, then fair enough, but maybe you'd explain to me what you meant (as opposed to what you wrote) because apparently I'm a bit thick in that regard.

Also - its hard to take a quote "out of context", when there is no context to put it in...unless there's a chunk of invisible text there which I cant see but the rest of you can.
    You can see the sun or the star "boards.ie is a forum for drug dealing" even if it was not.

Certainly, and then I can see them being hit with a nice lawsuit, followed by them handing over a reasonably large chunk of money, and making a very public, very humble apology.

Its called libel - maybe you've heard of it?

The only way it wouldnt be libellous is if boards was a forum for drug-dealing....see my initial response to your first post for comments on that.
    > all we are saying is that to stay on the side of caution would not be a bad thing..
    Thats funny. I was saying "stay on teh side of caution, make sure your ass is covered". So were several others.

You were saying "dont do it unless you want to be 'dealer central'".

Obviously I misunderstood you again.

jc

Advertisement