Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

News on Esat's ADSL

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 TitanFire

Damn - I like what I'm hearing... Okay - Price is still too steep obvioulsly, but equipment included is a BIG plus, and no cap is... well, no comment needed, eh? :)

Cant wait to see what their Residential offering will be.. Any ideas on whether they'll give a reduction for the 2,000 cut off No Limits? I think I remember people chatting about that before..

Anyway, things are looking up. Slightly, but still up :)
    Hey! If worst came to worst, you could always make up a company!

"Hi, I'm here to install your ADSL? Fone-E-Limited, Yes?"
    "Yes, ahem... that's right...cough"

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

Double the upload speed - no caps - similiar price......
    hmmmmm - toughie now, which would i choose.....

Unfortunately not available in my area (Dublin!!). I would pay over top for the connection without the cap, knowing it will drop soon....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dumbnewbie

does it make a difference if you have a bussiness or not.
    would they not allow you to sign upif you didnt have a bussiness....surely my EUR270 is just as good as "A. Bussiness Guy's" money

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

And another question - would we still have to pay line rental to eircom? (for the lines we built for em...) whilst paying esat for the service? Not that the rental is particularly crippling, just a principle....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

If its an unbundled line, i assume you pay esat. If its a bitstream connection, then you pay eircom as they still own the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Yesterday I went to Eircom's site and registered my interest in ADSL, so I can have the "pleasure" of informing the salesperson who calls me that it is far too expensive (three times what it would be if I lived in Fermanagh). Perhaps the sales people inform their superiors of this kind of comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Was just looking at the esat offer on there site and guess what! No Cap!. I hope eircom loose a lot of customers to ESAT as it will force eircom to drop there sky high prices! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Thread split (argument gone)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

sorry to bore those who read this on another post i made..(should have been here..oops)

i read in the ir times that esat were also promising a customer adsl in augusty timeframe (i think) and as my stupidity knows no limits..they metion something like 30 to 40 euro....

anyon else see that or was it a dream...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

*IF* these figures turn out to be true i would imagein that would be for a capped service :(

anyeone else think so ?

• Advertisement

Didnt hear of that Fall, but the prices sound too good to be true. Can you provide a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭ando

private as in Residential? 30 or 40 euro is excellent pricing by esat if its true cap or no cap, so soon after the release of dsl by eircom !

Ive moved another thread into this one to deal with Falls comments. If this rumour turns out to be untrue(and im fairly sure those figures cant be right), ill delete them as they will will only confuse people. So for the moment folks, please dont lose the heads and start threads with 'OMG 30 euro dsl!!!' :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

From my recent outing with Pat Galvin of Eircom at the NDMC, I can confirm that Eircom are investigating the introduction of a consumer ADSL offering with lower pricing for around August. This of course is all depending on the noise that they get back from exisiting pricing. It would be similar to the BT Plug'n'Play offering.

So the bottom line is the more rumpus they hear about the exisitng pricing the more likely the launch of such a product would be. Sadly they are still very much playing a cautious waiting game.

David

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

So, the much rumoured move of ESAT pulling out of the residential market may, after all, be just that - a rumour.

Encouraging.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭ando

yeah, nice to hear that :) Its also nice to see http://www.esat.com/dsl/pricing.asp :D:D The bit I'm on about is the :
    No limit on downloads
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

o
    -|- <
    dosman
    ^
    ==============================================
    ======================DOS MAN==================
    ==============================================

c:\>killjoy.bat

c:\>Esat potentially shutting up shop due to losses
    c:\>Esat only offering reasonabley priced ADSL in unbundled areas (a.k.a the country)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

from http://www.esat.com/dsl/pricing.asp
    *No limit on downloads

Hmm.. have esat not learned anything?

didn't they use the term "no limit" before?

didn't they get a severely red face over this term?

BEWARE!

when they say no limit on downloads, they mean you can download as much as you like, but if you download more than they feel is "within the spirit of the service" they will CUT YOU OFF WITHOUT WARNING!!!

muwaahahahaaa!!!!!!!

feckin bastids.

Still, they're better than eircom, and i'd take that offer as soon as hit the dublin area, especially as he seems optomistic the price will drop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by Balfa
    when they say no limit on downloads, they mean you can download as much as you like, but if you download more than they feel is "within the spirit of the service" they will CUT YOU OFF WITHOUT WARNING!!!
    If ESAT find that they're spending more money to provide the service than you're paying to get it, they probably will do that. This WAS the case on Surf No Limits and ESAT did the right thing, but in the wrong way IMHO.

We probably won't see a repeat with their own DSL because it's priced high enough as it is, and they control the playing field this time rather than waiting for Eircom to see sense and offer FRIACO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

Ok, i will have a look for a link, Dustaz, i aint trying to cause mayhem so delete if its causing issues...sorry it was not intentional....

HOWEVER...LATEST RUMOUR MILL...STOP....eircon MUTTERINGS....STOP...

I have heard this and i guarantee this is reliable (as any spoken word can be) but since the guy works in telecoms where i work, he said that august* appears to be the month that a residential service is going to arrive from eircon as well...so it kinda adds up ... adsl from esat in the west...adsl from eircon in the west...the rest of us in the middle, south and north...feck off..LOL

* eircon works on a new calendar system and in a new timezone...august has 365 days and the calendar had 250 months per year...for example 'i will ring you back in an hour' -- eircon hour =9000 minutes.

the last comment you will find explains a lot of the eircon rollout dates...

BUT...maybe this time...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Originally posted by Fallschirmjager
    sorry to bore those who read this on another post i made..(should have been here..oops)

i read in the ir times that esat were also promising a customer adsl in augusty timeframe (i think) and as my stupidity knows no limits..they metion something like 30 to 40 euro....

anyon else see that or was it a dream...
    Yes, I also saw that, last weeks edition in the businees one section on the margin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 rats

i think the link u r looking for is http://scripts.ireland.com/search/highlight.plx?TextRes=Esat%20and%20high&Path=/newspaper/finance/2002/0418/2768561219bzdsl.html

I hope that works, i got it from a search on the site for "ESAT and ADSL"

Bazz

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Originally posted by rats
    i think the link u r looking for is http://scripts.ireland.com/search/highlight.plx?TextRes=Esat%20and%20high&Path=/newspaper/finance/2002/0418/2768561219bzdsl.html

I hope that works, i got it from a search on the site for "ESAT and ADSL"

Good try, Baz. But it isn't the one that the boys were referring to. That URL is the one which announced the agreement between ODTR and Eircom for a wholesale price. No mention of Esat's rumoured residential price launch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

AFAIK the IT doesn't put the bits in the margin on their website so it's unlikely you'll find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 rats

aaah i c :)
    oh well :rolleyes:

Bazzie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 bluey

lads -

cable modems - Now Available, forget about esat & eircon, if any of you lot live in kilkenny clonmel (or even thurles) go for cable - €50 pm, €75 install incl equipment - 512k / 128k flat rate.....no download limits.....download limits only apply IF you're caught abusing the rules (hosting tucows mirrors or other such crapola) ...

www.cablenet.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Have you seriously dug up a 5 month old thread to pimp chorus????

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 bluey

pimp chorus ? nah mate i doubt it. all im saying is that there are options other than eircom and esat now available,

Leap - www.leap.ie
    Irish Broadband - www.irishbroadband.ie

kinda getting bored with esat & eircom bashing to be honest..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

muppet.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Jaysus Bluey, you've been reading the ODTRs info on alternative broadband technologies.

Advertisement