Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

News on Esat's ADSL

Options
  • 27-04-2002 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭

I can't find a link for it, so I'll give a brief resumé of what is said in today's I.T.

Esat will deliver DSL to Limerick, Cork and Galway from next month. It will also be delivered to over 30 other, as yet unnamed ,towns.

The cost is expected to be similar to Eircom's i-stream at a minimum of €89 per month. But it is believed that Esat will offer a slightly different service that enables consumers to send files at higher speeds (512/256, I suppose) than Eircom's proposed product.

What an anti climax. At least some of those outside Dublin have a little hope.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Shamo

Please God let there be no cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

If they have NO cap lots will signup. one question though? are they going to launch it in Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

i'd get esats offering anytime over eircoms, from what the trialists say its totally excellent for gaming. And if there's no cap, it's an easy winner. Let's just hope they offer it in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by Mountjoy Mugger
    different service that enables consumers to send files at higher speeds (512/256, I suppose) than Eircom's proposed product.
    I wonder if this is through LLU rather than Eircom's wholesale DSL. Perhaps they have some sort of deal, or gentlemen's agreement, where Eircom and ESAT don't DSL the same exchanges - speeds up the rollout and increases the coverage, but no direct competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Originally posted by Winters
    If they have NO cap lots will signup. one question though? are they going to launch it in Dublin?

No mention in the article of a Dublin launch, at least not yet. Esat seem to be using exchanges outside Dublin which they've got access.

There is no mention of a capped or uncapped service, what they say is that it will be similar to eircom's service but with an increased upload capacity. My reading of that would tend to lean towards a cap.. I hope I'm wrong.

So much for competition if that proves to be the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 RFHost

Thank GoD!! That sounds promising. I rang eircom and enquired about DSL in Galway and they said they hoped to have it ready by the end of the year. WTF!!

It would be brillant if it was uncapped!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Mick-X-Listener

I'm in South Dublin (Greenhills) and was on the Esat trial last October with 1mb down and 256 up with exellent results I was on the walkinstownXcrumlin exchange. Does this mean they will set up here?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I hope they launch it in Dublin. 1MB download! wow. Eircom would have nobody on there DSL if esat were to offer that!

We can only wait........some more

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I don't mind a cap once its
    a) Reasonable (ie. NOT 3gb)

and

b) The cost of over-capping is also reasonable (ie. NOT 35 euro/gb)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Article here.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

i would [be really interested in getting] adsl in cork by next month. Please god let it be so.

(edited by mod - keep sexual issues to Personal Issues forum):)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I wonder if this is through LLU rather than Eircom's wholesale DSL.

At the moment, yes it is.

Perhaps they have some sort of deal, or gentlemen's agreement, where Eircom and ESAT don't DSL the same exchanges - speeds up the rollout and increases the coverage, but no direct competition.

That's called a cartel. If you could prove /that/, we'd have /them/ by the balls.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Originally posted by Winters
    I hope they launch it in Dublin. 1MB download! wow. Eircom would have nobody on there DSL if esat were to offer that!

We can only wait........some more
    You don't seem to realise that eircom have a 1 megabit download option and that Esat's service will most likely be almost identical in price assuming that esat don't use it as a loss leader as they pay eircom a setfee each month (can't remember what it is, soz.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

I'd shoot my grannie if it meant ADSL in waterford soon..
    no really,I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Overlord

"Esat will also introduce a type of technology called synchronous digital subscriber line to the Republic shortly. "

The "synchronous" bit is nice. This means its SDSL and not ADSL that eircom are offering.
    SDSL means that its equal speeds up AND down.
    This will be good for gaming a whole team in say, quake3.
    Limited upload speeds offered by eircom ADSL (inhernet in ADSL) restrict the number of players that can play at the same time. This would make it affordable to share the cost of internet connection from one house.
    Cmon ESAT do it for the lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭ando

Sdsl... please say that has more than a 2.5km limit from the exchange ... cause I dont think i'll be within range of my exchange for adsl :(

BTW, havent seen any updates to http://register.esatfusion.ie/adsl/index.html yet?

Originally posted by ando
    Sdsl... please say that has more than a 2.5km limit from the exchange ...
    SDSL is subject to the same or worse limitations then ADSL. There' s no magic involved I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭jmcc

Originally posted by Overlord
    "Esat will also introduce a type of technology called synchronous digital subscriber line to the Republic shortly. "

Oh Gawd another Irish Times reader. [1] :) For 'Synchronous' substitute Symmetrical.

Much as it would be a good thing to have SDSL for everyone, I think that ESAT will be aiming at the businesses with this one.

Regards...jmcc
    [1] For years, the Irish Times technology journalists referred to the 'A' in ADSL as Asynchronous, even after being repeatedly corrected by those with a clue. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

SDSL has been trialled in Limerick by Esat for a number of months (read back through the archives for a discussion of this at the time)

It's mostly aimed at the business market (and carries a hefty price premium)

Originally posted by Jorinn
    You don't seem to realise that eircom have a 1 megabit download option and that Esat's service will most likely be almost identical in price assuming that esat don't use it as a loss leader as they pay eircom a setfee each month (can't remember what it is, soz.)
    If they're using LLU to do this, they're paying about 14 euro per month for each line - far less than the 49/79 euro for wholesale DSL. However we don't know the full story here. Eircom will be charging Esat for the privilige of housing equipment in the exchange, backbone lines going into the exchange, access rights to the building itself, and whatever hidden extras Eircom think they can get away with. On the plus side, Esat can use the lines for whatever they will bear - the G.dmt standard for ADSL allows for up to 8Mbit down, 1Mbit up.

If they wanted to (and this applies to Eircom too) they could implement IDSL. This is pretty much the ISDN standard except that it doesn't do voice calls, all the bits are dedicated to data packet, and it terminates at the exchange just like a DSLAM. You only get 144/144 but it is low ping, always on. The big win is like ISDN, it's good for nearly 10km and not so fussy about the quality of the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Overlord

Originally posted by jmcc

Oh Gawd another Irish Times reader. [1] :) For 'Synchronous' substitute Symmetrical.

Much as it would be a good thing to have SDSL for everyone, I think that ESAT will be aiming at the businesses with this one.

Regards...jmcc
    [1] For years, the Irish Times technology journalists referred to the 'A' in ADSL as Asynchronous, even after being repeatedly corrected by those with a clue. :)

oh GAWD another nitpicking nerd.
    Yes, its "symmetrical", congratulations.

Actually, it's "symmetric".

heh

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

It could stand for smelly and I'd still buy it if its equal to or better than eircoms ADSL offering.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Arboration

Originally posted by longword

If they're using LLU to do this, they're paying about 14 euro per month for each line - far less than the 49/79 euro for wholesale DSL. However we don't know the full story here. Eircom will be charging Esat for the privilige of housing equipment in the exchange, backbone lines going into the exchange, access rights to the building itself, and whatever hidden extras Eircom think they can get away with. On the plus side, Esat can use the lines for whatever they will bear - the G.dmt standard for ADSL allows for up to 8Mbit down, 1Mbit up.

If they wanted to (and this applies to Eircom too) they could implement IDSL. This is pretty much the ISDN standard except that it doesn't do voice calls, all the bits are dedicated to data packet, and it terminates at the exchange just like a DSLAM. You only get 144/144 but it is low ping, always on. The big win is like ISDN, it's good for nearly 10km and not so fussy about the quality of the line.

So if they sell it at 80e a month.
    Then thats a 570% increase on what they're actually paying to provide the service :)
    Can you spell, unfair ?

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Actually, it's "symmetric".

Not quite:
    http://www.adsl.com/about_dsl.htm

Of course this is the point at which it ascends into a wirehead discussion thus freaking out Overlord's nerd detector. :)

Take a look at G.Lite and compare it with what is going to be available here.

But at this time of the morning (when I have to try to reconstruct a webserver checking spider program from memory because of non-standard keyboard mapping - amazing what happens when you go to type rm *~ but the ~ key is not in the usual place) it doesn't matter whether is asymmetric or asymmetrical as long as it is *fast*. :)

Regards...jmcc

> > Actually, it's "symmetric".
    > >
    >
    > Not quite:
    > http://www.adsl.com/about_dsl.htm

Quite:
    SDSL: (symmetric DSL) SDSL is a vendor-proprietary version of symmetric DSL that may include bit-rates to and from the customer ranging of 128 kbps to 2.32 Mbps. SDSL is an umbrella term for a number of supplier-specific implementations over a single copper pair providing variable rates of symmetric service. SDSL uses 2B1Q HDSL run on a single pair with an Ethernet interface to the customer. The industry is expected to quickly move towards the higher performing and standardized G.shdsl technology developed by the ITU with support from T1E1.4 (USA) and ETSI (European Telecommunications Standards Institute).
    Okay, okay, you can use both. But "symmetrical" is just stupid! :)

But at this time of the morning (when I have to try to reconstruct a webserver checking spider program from memory because of non-standard keyboard mapping - amazing what happens when you go to type rm *~ but the ~ key is not in the usual place)

You just can't not drop something in, can you John?

it doesn't matter whether is asymmetric or asymmetrical as long as it is *fast*.

Indeed. I don't think I'll see any of them for a while though - unless the DPE grows a brain during the election - so it doesn't really make a difference to me either way. Now, always-on, that's a different story...

adam

Originally posted by Arboration
    So if they sell it at 80e a month.
    Then thats a 570% increase on what they're actually paying to provide the service :)
    Errr. No. They'd be selling it at a 570% markup on _one_ of their many costs in providing DSL. 14 euro gets them access rights to your wires. NOTHING more. Just an empty pair of copper wires that aren't connected to anything interesting. No DSLAM. Nowhere to put a DSLAM. No engineer to look after it. No internet connection. No ISP service.

Originally posted by dahamsta
    > > Actually, it's "symmetric".
    > >
    >
    > Not quite:
    > http://www.adsl.com/about_dsl.htm

Okay, okay, you can use both. But "symmetrical" is just stupid! :)
    Yep especially since it is used in both contexts in the URL I quoted above:
    "ADSL: (Full Rate asymmetrical DSL) ADSL offers differing upload and download speeds and can be configured to deliver up to six megabits of data
    per second (6000K) from the network to the customer" :)

You just can't not drop something in, can you John?

Nah more a case of me dropping right in it. :) I had intended on trying to get back to daylight hours but this and the Full Moon has dented those plans.

Indeed. I don't think I'll see any of them for a while though - unless the DPE grows a brain during the election - so it doesn't really make a difference to me either way. Now, always-on, that's a different story...

While Ministers may come and go, the DPE is run by civil servants. I think that Minister Mary may be on the way out and may not be reappointed to that post in a new FF government.

One thing that is bugging me about the whole ADSL model as implemented by Eircom/Esat/Other - will there be local routing of the packets? A local INEX for each city would be an excellent business opportunity to grow the metro internet usage in each city and could allow of the implementation of a packet based solution based on near free local (city) packets. Though if I saw such thinking coming out of the ISPs/Telcos I'd be as happy as a vampire who has discovered sunblock. :)

Regards...jmcc

Yep especially since it is used in both contexts in the URL I quoted above:

I'll file a complaint! :)

Nah more a case of me dropping right in it. :) I had intended on trying to get back to daylight hours but this and the Full Moon has dented those plans.

Well, I'm still here at 5:48, so you're not the only one.

While Ministers may come and go, the DPE is run by civil servants. I think that Minister Mary may be on the way out and may not be reappointed to that post in a new FF government.

I was thinking about this earlier as it happens. In the US, when a new administration comes in, nearly everybody in the outgoing administration is funted out, and new people installed. In Ireland and the UK, the majority stays on. It's been said that our model is more stable, but I wonder about that. Civil servants are very resistant to change.

Dunno much about the rest of it, aside from the fact that some people seem to have a problem with the centralisation of the network. I think it was yerfella from Strencom was telling me a while back that he didn't connect directly to the Cork POP because there was no-one down here to fix it if something went wrong - someone had to be sent from Dublin to do it. It sounded like guff at the time, but you never can tell in this business.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Felix Randel

LLU is used for SDSL(and higher) Full stop, not ADSL, it wouldnt make any business sense to release ADSL over LLU.

That said, the article just mentioned DSL, and quiet frankly 89 euro a month for SDSL would be extremely good imho for ireland.
    Sicne SDSL is the main competitor to Leased lines(NOT ADSL)

It also fits with the mentioned increased upstream bandwidth, 512:512 nice ring to it.

Basicallt forget ADSL over LLU,

Advertisement