Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

News on Esat's ADSL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Does anyone know the list of exchanges in Cork owned by Esat, and how far is Frankfield/Grange from the nearest exchange
    Ta :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Felix Randel

None, they usual, as i understand the situation have sub exchanges located near eircoms main exchange

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by jmcc

I had intended on trying to get back to daylight hours but this and the Full Moon has dented those plans.

Regards...jmcc
    eh?
    something we should know john? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by Felix Randel
    LLU is used for SDSL(and higher) Full stop, not ADSL, it wouldnt make any business sense to release ADSL over LLU.
    That may be true in other countries, but where you've got sky high wholesale ADSL pricing and what appears to be very reasonable LLU pricing, there's a good chance it's worth it.

Over a 1 year contract, Eircom will charge an OLO €938 for wholesale DSL. Full LLU costs less than €160 over the same period, plus whatever hidden extras Eircom come up with. I'm guessing it's possible for an OLO to keep a DSLAM port live for less than €600. And that's just at 512/128 - it makes even more sense at higher speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by longword

That may be true in other countries, but where you've got sky high wholesale ADSL pricing and what appears to be very reasonable LLU pricing, there's a good chance it's worth it.
    I agree with this. Although, SDSL will be the big initial draw, it makes sense for the OLO, who's gone to the trouble of gaining entry to the exchange, to maximise the return by gaining revenue from a much larger number of small businesses and home users. The big hurdle is getting in to the exchanges.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

One thing, its not 14 euro anymore

Originally posted by Boston
    One thing, its not 14 euro anymore
    If you have more up to date numbers could you share them? Last I heard the ODTR had beaten Eircom into full LLU pricing of between €13 and €14 - I don't recall the exact figure. Until I hear different numbers I can only assume this pricing scheme is still in effect.

When the odtr announced that bitsream access had been settled and lowered they also announced that llu prices for line rental had increased but that rental of space in the exchange and site survey charges had decreased.

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    I agree with this. Although, SDSL will be the big initial draw, it makes sense for the OLO, who's gone to the trouble of gaining entry to the exchange, to maximise the return by gaining revenue from a much larger number of small businesses and home users. The big hurdle is getting in to the exchanges.
    Exactly. Most DSLAM equipment seems designed to take a combination of ADSL, SDSL, and IDSL ports in the same chassis - it's just a matter of pluging in the cards as necessary. They all feed into the same fat upstream pipe. Marginal extra effort for mucho extra customers.

Originally posted by longword
    If you have more up to date numbers could you share them? Last I heard the ODTR had beaten Eircom into full LLU pricing of between €13 and €14 - I don't recall the exact figure. Until I hear different numbers I can only assume this pricing scheme is still in effect.
    According to the latest ODTR document A fully unbundled line now costs EUR 16 per month. Line sharing EUR 9 per month. I haven't looked at much of the other charges yet. Longword, can you pm me with your email address.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    According to the latest ODTR document A fully unbundled line now costs EUR 16 per month. Line sharing EUR 9 per month. I haven't looked at much of the other charges yet.
    Yeah, I found the Access Reference Offer on Eircom's site. A beefy tome.

http://www.eircom.ie/bveircom/pdf/arover2.pdf

€16.81 per month per line. €121.52 connection charge. €60 for one engineer to set foot inside an exchange for 30 minutes during business hours - double that if you don't warn them and double that again if its outside hours. I've only glanced at the 175 page document but I haven't come across their colo charges yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭glimmerman

when does dublin roll out?

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

From an article in ENN
    The retail cost of Esat's ADSL service will be EUR270 per quarter with a once-off connection fee of EUR125.64 for a 512k connection. The company's 1Mb service will cost EUR614 every three months, but the connection fee remains the same. Its highest speed service, at 2Mb per second, will cost users EUR1,200 quarterly with a connection fee of EUR1,500.

EUR270 / 3 = EUR90 per month, which is EUR17 cheaper than Eircom for 512/256, no cap is meantioned but that doesnt mean there isnt one.

http://www.enn.ie/news.html?code=7327314

They also say they are in negotiations to unbundle Dublin. My guess is EIRCON will drag out those talks as long as possible so it can operate without competition.

FFS it doesnt include VAT its a tad more expensive then eircoms deal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by Boston
    FFS it doesnt include VAT its a tad more expensive then eircoms deal

ah i know, but at least we're finally getting somewhere on this issue, and as esat said, they fully expect the prices to drop over the next year

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

In the times:

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/finance/2002/0430/3636203145BZDSL.html

In the Indo:

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=184&si=742296&issue_id=7312

In the Examiner:

http://www.examiner.ie/nuapublish/np/NP/WPBTool/WPBWebPageH/business/Full_Story?did=sgnu{OfLcasHU

RTE:

http://www.onbusiness.ie/2002/0429/businesstoday.html
    (They have a real audio clip there too, but i can't listen here)
    "Peter Evans says it may take up to year before DSL can be
    offered to residential customers "

==============================================
    In other news, Skynet have been given a Telecoms licence:
    http://new.businessandfinance.ie/livenews.htm?a=294003

"The licence allows for the provision of voice, data and wireless connectivity services by Skynet, which until now has operated as a reseller in the Irish market."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

excert from the article in the irish Independent:

Esat chief executive Bill Murphy said the service would be launched and aimed at businesses at a cost of €90 per month. If the service reached a critical mass, it would be rolled out to domestic users.

er.....don't like that last bit very much.

RTE sound clip:
    No cap on download or upload.
    May take 6 months to a year to get costs down to the €30-40 level before they can offer it to consumer. its all down to the demands they can get on the product.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭BKtje

at the price they askin we can expect a long wait then.
    (especially since a lot of ppl will be turned off initially by it, cos of the risk of downgrading their ISDN just to find out that their line aint up to it.)

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

I'll wait for ESATs offer rather than get Eircons.

The pricing is with a few cents but ESATs got no cap and double the upload speed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭BKtje

who says esat will have no cap? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Originally posted by El_MUERkO

The pricing is with a few cents but ESATs got no cap and double the upload speed :)

And also includes equipment. See here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Jeeze. I'd love to see their product spec for the residential customer, if they ever decide to launch a version. No cap. Price a little high (at the mo), but Yummy.

Originally posted by Keeks
    And also includes equipment. See here
    also
    *No limit on downloads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dumbnewbie

hi,
    can someone tell me the difference between
    ADSL 512k/256k ULMP
    and
    ADSL 512k/256k LS

(i know the first line ends with ULMP and the second line ends with LS....:D )
    what does ULMP and LS stand for
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

i wondered the same thing myself. Anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Quorthon

lol go to the availability section, and wave your mouse over Dublin..................

Q

ULMP: Unbundled Local Metallic Path

LS: Loop simulator

They are LLU terms used in relation to charges and what charges are for

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by Quorthon
    lol go to the availability section, and wave your mouse over Dublin..................

eh, where's that?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by El_MUERkO

I've another reason for waiting and not going for Eircom's product ......

its called "disgruntled consumer giving Eircom an economic message by voting with feet and leaving them"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Quorthon

Originally posted by ando

eh, where's that?

http://www.esat.ie/dsl/availability.asp

Q

Advertisement