Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Really lost in Comp Sys 3rd year...

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Finish the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

course tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

I don't have that kind of job opportunity, and it looks like the course is going to finish me.

I can't do Paddy's project, it's the little C++ program you're meant ot right that's really getting to me.

you don't have to write a proggy > just explain why you chose each algorithm for each output file.

/me realises the above is useless at 2.49 in the am when the deadline was 5pm earlier :-/

Yeah, I couldn't get it done before 5 today because I couldn't get the script working. So, now I have to do it all tonight/tomorrow for a whole whopping 5%.

I'm just a little pissed off at this course right now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Stimulant

Rozie wrote:
    Yeah, I couldn't get it done before 5 today because I couldn't get the script working. So, now I have to do it all tonight/tomorrow for a whole whopping 5%.

I'm just a little pissed off at this course right now.

Dont care!! Dont care!! Dont care!!

Anyways comp sys is piss easy. Try a engineering course then you will know what 'hard' is; you idiot!!

I say drop out now.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

Yeah great support there.. well done.

Stick with it Rozie, coding is all down to trying over and over again, I know from past experience with PHP, though Im sure what your doing is alot more advanced. Just keep at it!

Stimulant wrote:
    Dont care!! Dont care!! Dont care!!

Anyways comp sys is piss easy. Try a engineering course then you will know what 'hard' is; you idiot!!

I say drop out now.:D

If it's "Piss easy" then why does it have the highest drop out rate of all the courses?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Rozie wrote:
    If it's "Piss easy" then why does it have the highest drop out rate of all the courses?

Because people dont know what they are geting into

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Rozie wrote:
    I don't have that kind of job opportunity, and it looks like the course is going to finish me.

I can't do Paddy's project, it's the little C++ program you're meant ot right that's really getting to me.

Its not a C++ program, its a perl script. Find a 4th year inquir. Your lookin at 30 mins work. Heard it was the same as last year from some people but I really don't know the full details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Rozie wrote:

This is the same story for every computer course, everywhere. It was the same when I did Comp Sci in UCC, highest drop out and failure rate in college for 1st and 2nd year, higher than medicine. People don't realise how tough the course is, and how theoretical. You should count yourselves lucky if you like the course (if you do that is) I hated doing mine but refused to drop out so just kept at it. No idea how I managed to finish it tbh, and without failing a single exam in 4yrs, only bout 20 ppl graduated able to say that (but the rest of em did REALLY well, :( ) Anyway point being, its tough, ppl posting to this forum all know that but there is little you can do other than throw 3 yrs of hard work away or GET ON WITH IT. I dont wanna sounds harsh but you lot are really up against it right now, 1 week to do a Java project that from what iv heard noone has made any significant progress with etc etc.
    Guys its tough I know, but really, without sounding like a boring old bag, you came to college to achieve something, and noone said it was going to be easy, it is accepted that 3rd year is really tough in Comp Sci (obv 4th year is really bad, but the idea is that you use 3rd year to adapt to this pace of work).
    Anyway, after my rant the point is, no use complaining about how tough it is, you are all in the same boat, chances are none of you expected it to be this tough, but it is, so... get busy working, not posting!!!
    g'luck, and as I said before, I open to questions if ppl get really stuck. :v:

I don't know how much a Comp Sys degree will even help me, which is further degrading :/

I don't want to be a programmer and I don't mind not making wads of cash. I'd just like to find a job where I can work a 4 day week instead of a 5 day week(or shorter hours, or in fact, just plain a job I enjoy and isn't an hours bus ride away from where I live) and still be able to get buy with enough to buy games/guitar equipment every so often.

I suppose having a degree behind me might make it easier, but it is really hard on me right now. I'm trying, but I don't think I'll be the one to kick me out, so to speak.

Anyway, I don't think it's 3 years of total waste. I still picked up skills I can put down on a CV, and most importantly, got a Co-Op that sounds impressive on paper.

comp sys can let you do pretty much anything in the IT field, not just programming.

btw, that whole sentence about wanting a handy job really smacks of laziness imo. *shrug*

I'm sure everybody feel the same way about their job at some stage tho.

What's wrong with being "Lazy"? I despise the fetish for working endlessly and pointlessly the human race has.

And there's a lot of "workin'" in the IT field, so to speak.

I'd really like, you know, to be somewhat happy in life :/

Aaah I hate this course.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Rozie wrote:
    What's wrong with being "Lazy"? I despise the fetish for working endlessly and pointlessly the human race has.

And there's a lot of "workin'" in the IT field, so to speak.

I'd really like, you know, to be somewhat happy in life :/

Aaah I hate this course.

Wanting to work 1 day less then everyone else is, tbh, being lazy.

Nothing to stop you working 5 days a week and being happy.

I dont want to be a programmer either, but I like the idea that I know (to an extent) that I can actually program a computer to do my bidding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

There's plenty of other stuff to do in the IT field besides programming. E.g. Systems Analyst, Network Admin (which is what I'm hoping to do). While your aspirations may be admirable you'd be lucky to get by working a 4 day week these days.

I'm not sure where you got the idea that the human race has a fetish for working endlessly and pointlessly. Most of the people I know in full time jobs can't wait to take time off. TBH I wouldn't really consider working to be pointless believe it or not I actually got a sense of satisfaction when I was on co-op out of the work I did...but hey thats just me.

Cheers
    Rory

Wanting to work 1 day less then everyone else is, tbh, being lazy.

Why? I won't get the same money as everyone else. I'm pretty sure i can get by on it too(as long as I'm enough above minimum wage), free time is more important to me than money. There's just one or two things I need to save up for in the long run, and I don't mind after that. I only really want friends and free time to work on my comic.

I don't see why it's "Lazy", wanting to actually live a little more and pursue my interests.
    Nothing to stop you working 5 days a week and being happy.

But you loose so much of your life to working :/ I don't see what's wrong with wanting more time to do things I actually want to do.
    I actually got a sense of satisfaction when I was on co-op out of the work I did...but hey thats just me.

I got a pretty terrible co-op, I had the soundest manager ever, but apart from that, the work was mostly dull and repetitive, I was often left with nothing to do but surf on their extremely limited internet connection or twiddle my thumbs. THe things that killed me were the depressing atmosphere of the place; it felt like nobody wanted to be there, and the 1 hour + commute time down to Raheen, which included at least half an hour of walking in the cold, half awake, and somehow i STILL managed to gain weight thanks to the terrible canteen and being depressed.

So it didn't leave me with the greatest impression of work.

My Mum recently said that she's going to switch to a 4 day week. It seems like the greatest thing ever to me. An extra day a week gives you time to do things - most of the time in the evenings and weekends you're resting and recovering. You get very little actual free time.

That said, I miss working to an extent, as even though I was sick at the time and it was killing me, there was still a certain amount of hope, and I was living with a room-mate I knew and had someone to talk to.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,501 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

TBH, i would love to see Stimulant's reaction to your posts Rozie.

I fully agree with Peteee that 4 days a week is laziness. 3 days off? What are you gonna do with them? Rozie, do you know what youre in college for? To get an education to get a job afterwards thats better and more satisfying than a job with no qualification necessary*. If you get your degree and get a job with it, chances are that it will be a nice job that you wont wake up in the morning and dread having to go to. You will meet people that you will become well acquainted with and meet a ton of friends through work. Its one of those things that gets you out of the house and into the real world.

*May vary from person to person

I fully agree with Peteee that 4 days a week is laziness. 3 days off? What are you gonna do with them?

I really think it's sad if we no longer have the imagination to actually do things we want to do when given our freedom for an extra day a week.

I prefer free time to do things I want to do to money. And I'm really disgusted that I'm called lazy for it; do I get to call you "Greedy" for working an extra day for more money? No, it wouldn't make sense.

Not to mention I need the extra time to work on comics.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

TBH, i would love to see Stimulant's reaction to your posts Rozie.

I fully agree with Peteee that 4 days a week is laziness. 3 days off? What are you gonna do with them? Rozie, do you know what youre in college for? To get an education to get a job afterwards thats better and more satisfying than a job with no qualification necessary*. If you get your degree and get a job with it, chances are that it will be a nice job that you wont wake up in the morning and dread having to go to. You will meet people that you will become well acquainted with and meet a ton of friends through work. Its one of those things that gets you out of the house and into the real world.

*May vary from person to person

Spot on LordC, tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

Can i lock this yet?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement