Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Really lost in Comp Sys 3rd year...

Options
  • 01-11-2005 12:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭

I honestly wish I hadn't picked the course. I find it impossible to get up for lectures, mainly because I can't bear to sit through more than 4 lectures in a day, sometimes only 3.

I'm really lost and I might have even missed a mid term or something. There's too much going on. I've no idea when the Computer Networks tutorials are on either, or how to do Paddy Healy's project. What's it about anyway?

I honeslty don't know what to do. I wish there was just an exam at the end and I could probably just go along to tutorials and then cram before it, but I've never been good at that.

I went to a Java lab and couldn't do it. I took home the answer sheet and promptly lost it.

I think I'm going to end up dropping out but my dad will kill me and he says I'll never find a job if I do. But it's really killing me. I came into the course being one of the smarter ones and now it's just getting further and further away from what I wanted to do.
    I thought I'd do better this year after having to repeat exams and scraping throuh last year. But I've no idea where to start. If I could survive until next semester, there are some things that interest me. But then the notion of 4th year and FYP screws that over.

What should I do? If anyone could give any helpful info like what book I need for each module that would help lots.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I had the same comp sys experience and I managed to graduate. You'll get through it if you're any way smart. 3rd year is tough, so is 4th year but if you pick an FYP topc that you genuinely find interesting then you'll fly though it.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭keevita

u need a cuddle!! horrible feeling isnt it? go with your gut feeling, and good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Everyone has been there at some stage Rozie. I know it prob seems like there is no light at the end of the tunnel now but if you just keep holding on till after Christmas Im sure things will get better. if you are struggling noone expects you to do famously well, just do your best and try and keep your head above water. I know the projects you have at the mo are tough but ask people in your class for help, noone wants to see anyone drop out at this stage, dont waste 2 yrs of college now. Best of luck with it, Im sure in a few months things will settle down and you will wonder why you ever wanted to give up. I nearly gave up every wk doing Comp Sci in UCC, 2 degrees later I still wanna give up most days - this is perfectly normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Right well for starters the Computer Networks tutorial is on Fridays at 11:00 in D1050. I don't blame you not being able to get up for lectures but it has to be done. As for the Java stuff there's plenty of good documentation online. As for Paddy's module you're not alone there's probably more people who haven't a clue how to do it. Read over his spec and take down the files he specifies. The spec covers what you have to do, from what I can tell it isn't too difficult its just a matter of sitting down and doing the poxy thing. As 440 says it'd be a waste to drop out now, just keep slugging away at it and you'll be ok. It's what I've been doing up till now.

Cheers
    Rory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

I don't blame you not being able to get up for lectures but it has to be done.

Problem is, I could get up for them, but then I'd have a whole day of lectures ahead of me, and my attention span can't last that long. I was barely able to bear the 3 things I went to today.

Thanks for the help everyone!

• Advertisement

My attention span doesn't last particularly long either. Everybody on the course has a whole day of lectures ahead of them when they get up. I know some of it is as boring as Emmerdale Farm etc. but if you miss lectures you're going to fall behind. Tuesdays and Thursdays are the longest days we have and its hard to stay awake for all of it. The only advice I can give is to start going to lectures (try to get to most of them). Go to the tutorials aswell (I know some of them are crap but what can you do).

I don't mean to sound harsh but there's no point in complaining about your problem if you don't end up doing anything about it.

Cheers
    Rory

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Rozie wrote:
    I honestly wish I hadn't picked the course. I find it impossible to get up for lectures, mainly because I can't bear to sit through more than 4 lectures in a day, sometimes only 3.

I'm really lost and I might have even missed a mid term or something. There's too much going on. I've no idea when the Computer Networks tutorials are on either, or how to do Paddy Healy's project. What's it about anyway?

I honeslty don't know what to do. I wish there was just an exam at the end and I could probably just go along to tutorials and then cram before it, but I've never been good at that.

I went to a Java lab and couldn't do it. I took home the answer sheet and promptly lost it.

I think I'm going to end up dropping out but my dad will kill me and he says I'll never find a job if I do. But it's really killing me. I came into the course being one of the smarter ones and now it's just getting further and further away from what I wanted to do.
    I thought I'd do better this year after having to repeat exams and scraping throuh last year. But I've no idea where to start. If I could survive until next semester, there are some things that interest me. But then the notion of 4th year and FYP screws that over.

What should I do? If anyone could give any helpful info like what book I need for each module that would help lots.

I know how you feel, mate. I missed a couple of lecs. I'm okay with Systems Analysis, and I should be okay with Networking as I had job experience with it. As for the rest, it's going to be tight.

I'm just looking at the java and going wha? I don't even know how to bloody compile the thing! I got me Deitel and Deitels book and I'm working on that now. I've printed off every note I could find, got a folder and I'm reading through them, taking in as much as I can.

I know Tuesdays and Thursdays suck, but you just have to grin and bear it really. If you want, look me up and perhaps we can work on stuff together if that helps? It's better than working alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,501 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Rozie, this is going to sound odd, but give it a try if you really want. My advice is this: eat fruit. I felt the same as you before, but before i started working in the summer, i ate no fruit and was minutes away from getting scurvy, and like you, could pay attention to a single thing. After college, i made myself eat at least 2 pieces of fruit (usually apple and banana) and a glass of juice (pure orange - no mi wadi) every single lunchtime, and my fatigue has dropped significantly.

The difference between having a good fruit diet (which loads of student dont) and and not eating fruit is huge. If you already eat plenty of fruit, then dismiss this as being ramblings of a madman, but if you dont, give it a try and stop worrying.

Okay, I'll try to eat some more fruit. My eating pattern is pretty crap. Some days I eat too much and others I don't eat enough. I need to loose weight but I'm not sure the way I am is very healthy.

Keep in mind I'm still dealing with some rather serious mental issues, and it's another month until I'm finally getting to see a proper psychiatrist, thanks to the terrible Irish medical system(I've been trying to get to one since after Christmas). But even if I dealth with that, I'm still not sure of how well I can do... but I need something to stop the constant swirliness in my head.

I really think it's ridiculous the way they've layed out the week, though. One day has 4 lectures in a row and only a small break until another one. They really should keep in mind that we're human, not machines, and can only do too much.

The CS4115 tutorials don't seem worth going to. I actually got CS4113 grinds from the guy who's doing them, and he's very good one on one, but I don't have a clue what's going on in tutorials ever. I actually learn a lot more in the lectures. I've gone to most of them. I learn nothing in the tutorials.

Systems Analysis or whatever it is seems pretty ridiculous. It's hit and miss whether it'll be a whole load of gibberish we covered in 1st and 2nd year, or stuff we really need to know.

Operating Systems... I've no idea. It could be easy, or it could be hard.

The Java stuff interests me quite a bit - it looks a lot more fun to program in than C and C++, but it's still a lot of stuff to get used to. I couldn't do the last lab but I'm sure it's something simple.

Computer Networks... I know some of it, but not all of it. I'm not sure. Another hit or miss one I think. Do we actually have labs in it or what? What do we do in it?

Things I'm glad not to have this year -

That... project... disaster... thing...
    Maths(Well, sort of).

I wouldn't mind doing next semester. I'm pretty interested in DSP, and if that's too hard Cobol should be easy enough. Norah's module is probably pretty easy. I really want to do AI as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

chrislad wrote:
    I'm just looking at the java and going wha? I don't even know how to bloody compile the thing! I got me Deitel and Deitels book and I'm working on that now. I've printed off every note I could find, got a folder and I'm reading through them, taking in as much as I can.

The java project you guys have is fairly challenging alright. If you get really stuck PM me. Good luck with it.

• Advertisement

The Java project might not be as hard as it seems. I just think it's mean that people who understand Sudoko will probably do better, esp. due to interest.

Basically, I think you just use a 2 Dimensional array, or a Vector, either or. When you have a number in one area, you run up one axis seeeing if you can find the current "Number" you're at, then up and down the other.

Though a way of dividing the array into squares would be handy...

Maybe it is pretty hard after all :/

That's true. It's easier when you know the rules of the game inside out.

Oh and Rozie, labs in Networks start tomorrow at 11am as far as I know. He said in Week 2 that they would. I haven't been since Week 3 as the man bores me to tears, but I'll be at labs tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Its a pity Paddy hasn't improved in the last 10 years (since I had him). He wasn't a great lecturer back then either (although he is a nice guy).

I found 3rd year tough too, but got through it. A support network of good friends who can help you out makes a huge difference....

Paddy is a nice guy. I'm not so sure it's that he's not a great lecturer, just the stuff he lectures is pretty nasty.

Dermot Shinners-Kennedy was a great lecturer in 1st year though. I quite like the guy we have for Java this year.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Rozie, I did Comp Sys, finished in 2002.... 3rd year is tough .... think its changed a bit now though. Try and make it to as many lecturers as possible from now on. Its only November... so what is that...week 8 or something? i.e. you've got half the semester left so with a bit of attention to the classes now you will be fine. Best thing to do if you really cannot get any motivation together is just make it to the tutorials... they usually should cover what you need to know.

That data structures stuff was a nightmare! I think our class were so pissed off after the exam that everyone emailed him complaining and rumour has it that he went a bit easier on us. Who knows if that is true or not, but the man himself.

You sound as if you are interested in getting through the course so I'm sure you will be fine.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Rozie wrote:
    Dermot Shinners-Kennedy was a great lecturer in 1st year though. I quite like the guy we have for Java this year.

Were you in first year comp sys starting Sept 03? I did the M.Sc Music Tech startng Sept 03, we were in with the first year comp sys class ... yeah DSK was a showman alright.

You must have been in the same class as me then? --> had some mobile phone C++ project to do.

BossArky wrote:
    Were you in first year comp sys starting Sept 03? I did the M.Sc Music Tech startng Sept 03, we were in with the first year comp sys class ... yeah DSK was a showman alright.

You must have been in the same class as me then? --> had some mobile phone C++ project to do.

That was the one. Piece of piss project. Pity the rest of them didn't follow suit :)

When are the midterms...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Computer Networks midterm tomorrow [tuesday 7th] at the lecture time in D1050

• Advertisement

Should be fun. Cramming session tonight.

'meh', I don't think Seamus will throw much
    technical
    stuff at us :)

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

I finished Comp Sys in 2001, and everyone agrees that 3rd year is the hardest overall, and the first semester in 3rd year is the hardest of all semsters, esp after co-op. The work might suck, but you get used to the money, and for me the order of 9-5 after the sheer chaos of a college timetable did seem to stabilise me a bit. I've spoken to a few Comp Sys grads who've felt the same way. The only real advice I can give you is to tough it out, 3 lectures in one day does suck, but it's 3 hours out of 16 that you'll be awake, try to fill the other few with something you like doing, I used to go swimming on my worst day of the week (think it was wednesday), so at the start I'd be thinking, ok just get through this and then I'll be in the pool. On the days I didn't make all the lectures, I didn't go for a swim, it made me want to attend them all the more the next week.
    Hope this helps.

kaimera wrote:
    'meh', I don't think Seamus will throw much stuff at us :)

Hopefully it'll be a nice easy one. That said, it's only 10% so if you mess it up, it's not the end of it.

That said it would be nice if *certain lecturer* told us certain lectures would be cancelled via email or something. 3rd time this semester I've showed up to find them cancelled.

chrislad wrote:
    That said it would be nice if *certain lecturer* told us certain lectures would be cancelled via email or something. 3rd time this semester I've showed up to find them cancelled.

:v:

The networking midterm shouldn't be too difficult. Last years midterm is doable enough. I don't really see the need to read 7 chapters of the book. Just skim through them thats all.

Cheers
    Rory

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Aye, tis a tad annoying alright.

On the other hand we also dont have the tutorial. Talk about win - win!

lads, back on topic.
    We don't want it to seem like we're engaging in [strike]in_jokes[/strike]. :v:

Well, they won't let us mention lecturer names, so I don't see how we're breaking rules. The thread is generally on topic (still about CompSys and how crappy it is :) )

Does the library have many of the Networking books? His notes are all over the place and not organised in any way (which is kinda ironic given the nature of Networking).

• Advertisement

A bit off topic but has anyone else realised what massive fingers the networks lec has? I remember during the tutorials he'd come over and point at something .... his fingers were like overboiled sausages!!

Back on topic... yes I think co-op usually puts people back on track a bit as you may have a slight insight into computers in a work environment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement