Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Men and their.. insatiable lust

Options
  • 26-10-2005 5:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

So I read this book by a couple of scientists. They say that men always want sex for the sake of ensuring the next generation. Or sometimes plain self-satisfaction. And they can have sex with ANYBODY just because it is a biological urge. Why do I know men who are not like this then? Idiotic "scientists" say it's true with this arguement: "Because we say so!" BLAH! *makes vomit noise*

Should girls feel that they are used or should they "bear with" them and understand that they have an insatiable sexual appetite?

I hope my irritation isn't too strong for the mods.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Vangelis wrote:
    So I read this book by a couple of scientists. They say that men always want sex for the sake of ensuring the next generation. Or sometimes plain self-satisfaction. And they can have sex with ANYBODY just because it is a biological urge. Why do I know men who are not like this then? Idiotic "scientists" say it's true with this arguement: "Because we say so!" BLAH! *makes vomit noise*

Should girls feel that they are used or should they "bear with" them and understand that they have an insatiable sexual appetite?

Women need to realise (an I am not necessaryily directing this at you), that men can like sex, want to have sex with someone and also like the person (SHOCK HORROR!!)

TBH I am sick to death of women saying "Sure you just want me for sex" or "Is sex all you think about?"

Of course we want you for sex!! But that doesn't mean I don't want you for other things as well (food preperation being one ... joking!)

I realise women are worried about being "used." But just because a guy wants to hump you all the time doesn't mean he also doesn't care about you, respect you etc etc. He just likes sex. Men like sex irrationally, we like more than it actually makes us feel good. Women's orgasims are a million times better than mens (when was the last time you saw a man having an orgasim over and over for 20 minutes ... maybe Sting, but thats it), yet they seem to never want sex. A man will have an orgasim with his hand in a dirty public toliet... and then do it again an hour later. We just want sex.

The problem in relationships is men and women have different ideas of what is too much sex. So if a woman feels the guy is always on about sex she thinks that is all he thinks about.

It reminds me of the scene in a Woody Allen movie (forget which one) where Woody and his partner are, in turn, talking to a relationship expert. Woody says "She never wants to have sex, only about once a week!" and it cuts to his girlfriend saying "He wants sex all the time, at least once a week!".

So in a situation like that the girl thinks this guy wants sex all the time, so is that the only thing he wants to do? Doesn't he respect me for me? Where as the guy feels "how can she think that!! We never have sex!

Anyway, my little rant ... :p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I do not feel that only men have high libidos, a lot of women do also - not all men have high libidos just like not all women have high libidos. Sure, you can rationalise it out that women are left holding the baby but safe sex and contraception has left a lot of that in the past. My little rant, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dimitri

CathyMoran wrote:
    I do not feel that only men have high libidos, a lot of women do also - not all men have high libidos just like not all women have high libidos. Sure, you can rationalise it out that women are left holding the baby but safe sex and contraception has left a lot of that in the past. My little rant, sorry.
    Women with high libido's are definetely harder to come by than men with - Mans perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭akindoc

Vangelis wrote:

please read the selfish gene by richard dawkins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Vangelis wrote:

What scientists are these - provide linkage. An article from the latest edition of Cosmo doesn't count. Lollers!

• Advertisement

I always find it odd when I hear these types of comments, because its there weirdest type of sociolgical programming I've seen. Women's bodies provide them with an instrument that's capable to experiencing an extreme amount of pleasure. Some might call it infinite. Their bodies are more aware of sensitivity, and are more responsive to touch & taste than mens.

And yet it is the men who are unlikly to last more than three-four pleasure moments, before we need a rest.

And women have an insatiable sexual appetite, its just that society and their mothers have taught them to be ashamed of expressing that desire. A modern woman that knows herself is someone that is aware of her sexual desires and is capable/willing to sieze those chances.

Blaming men for their desires, is just another way that many traditional feminists use to keep women from experiencing true pleasure. :D

Blaming men for their desires, is just another way that many traditional feminists use to keep women from experiencing true pleasure. :D
    Traditional Feminists? Isn't than an oxymoron?

Traditional Feminists? Isn't than an oxymoron?

I tend to look upon two camps of feminists. Those that have very old fashioned feminist opinions of where a womans place should be and those that have a much more free viewpoint. This is just a personal viewpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

As a man i can honestly say i do not have sex on the brain as much as scientists say. very rarely actually. I went years until i had sex for the first time in my early 20's.

I doubt im alone.
    What you probably read was some scientists saying that some men, maybe even a high percentage find it hard to be faithful and stick with one person because genetically and instinctually men are programmed to mate with as many women as possible to further the human race and their own genes.

THAT is true and cant be denied. we are animals after all, only far more evolved and every single organism on this planet, right down to bacteria level have the same instinct. In mamals its males that are more programmed this way.

You can also flip it around and say some, a lot, most etc women are programmed to have as many babies as possible which is why there are so many women out there that just have child after child even with abusive partners. If they dont get it from him then she goes elsewhere and is unfaithful.

I would say most people are beyond that but a lot are still run by instincts.

Those that have very old fashioned feminist opinions of where a womans place should be

Thats not feminism, the whole point of feminism is that women shouldn't have a "place"

Anyway, getting off topic ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Vangelis

simu wrote:
    What scientists are these - provide linkage. An article from the latest edition of Cosmo doesn't count. Lollers!

I have NO LINK. But the book is called "Why men don't listen and women can't read maps", by Allan and Barbara Pease. And the cream of it all is that I can actually read maps!! I love maps! So according to statistics in this book, I am more """""likely""""" to be a lesbian. BLAH! I am as heterosexual as a mellow banana is yellow!!!!!! :mad:

*runs about like a maniac*

And akindoc, I have read that book. Read my lips: It sucks! Saying that we're all selfish and calling it science! No matter if you have a PhD from Oxford or not, this doesn't make that Dawkins anything more than a megalomanic monkey.

Vangelis wrote:
    I have NO LINK. But the book is called "Why men don't listen and women can't read maps", by Allan and Barbara Pease. And the cream of it all is that I can actually read maps!! I love maps! So according to statistics in this book, I am more """""likely""""" to be a lesbian. BLAH! I am as heterosexual as a mellow banana is yellow!!!!!! :mad:

*runs about like a maniac*

Ah, there's a lot of money to be made on idiotic "self-help" books like that you know. Don't take them seriously or let them annoy you. I'm a woman too and I can do a whole load of stuff I shouldn't be able to if these things were true!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

My lust is insatiable...sigh....
    If a man gets turned on in his body,his mind also gets turned on.If he gets turned on in his min,his body also gets turned on.
    This is not the case for women.The mind and body can be oblivious to each other.They see something really hot and recognise in their mind that it is so.For a man,his body would react, without him having to get it to in his mind.
    Most men get turned on more than women and it is just crazy as a teenager...when was I not aroused?????
    Simply put,body and mind are as one for men and this is not so for women.We,for the most part,get turned on more often because of this and frankly we always want sex.

simu wrote:
    Ah, there's a lot of money to be made on idiotic "self-help" books like that you know. Don't take them seriously or let them annoy you. I'm a woman too and I can do a whole load of stuff I shouldn't be able to if these things were true!

But it's provocative that people like this are allowed to publish such lies...
    :( *weeps like a baby* Btw, I didn't know that you were a woman, simu. :) That's nice! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Vangelis wrote:
    And they can have sex with ANYBODY just because it is a biological urge. .

We don't want to have sex with just 'ANYBODY'. But we (imho) DO want to have sex with a 'lot of bodies' rather than just one.

For an example Ask a man to make a list of the 10 hottest women he's ever known (that he's never slept with!) and then rank them 1 to 10.

Now ask him would he rather have (a) sex 9 times with his #1 choice or (b) have sex 1time each with his #2 to #10 choices. I would propose that (b) will the more popular answer even tho in that scenario he never gets a go with his #1 choice.

Our monogamous society in this regard favours women because I believe that most women given that test would prefer to get 'the best man' ie their own #1 rather than their own #2 - #10 all at once.

So however despite the same amount of sex (more or less eg 9times*1person vs 1time*9people) going on for both sexes men get the rep as the 'sex mad' one because (in this hypothetical example) they have to initiate 9 seperate proposals for the womans 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

I always find it odd when I hear these types of comments, because its there weirdest type of sociolgical programming I've seen. Women's bodies provide them with an instrument that's capable to experiencing an extreme amount of pleasure. Some might call it infinite. Their bodies are more aware of sensitivity, and are more responsive to touch & taste than mens.

SOME women. some women go through life never enjoying sex. alot of women have to "bear with" it because many guys dont know how or aren't bothered pleasuring them.

i dunno i know its just genes, but it does bother me to a certain extent because i know that any guy i am ever with will at the same time be wishing he could be with a bunch of other women. you never feel good enough, knowing that despite the fact that you might be number 1, he'd still rather be having sex with number's 2 to 10 if he could.

i know its just society and all that, but at the same time, women who go with their urges are called sluts. its those double standards again!

Vangelis wrote:
    But it's provocative that people like this are allowed to publish such lies...

Market rules - publishers are there to make money, for the most part!
    Btw, I didn't know that you were a woman, simu. :) That's nice! :)

...it's grand o_O

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

> Idiotic "scientists" say it's true with this arguement:
    > "Because we say so!" BLAH! *makes vomit noise*

Ooops-a-daisy -- be careful -- you're mixing up priests with scientists there!

> Should girls feel that they are used or should they
    > "bear with" them and understand that they have an
    > insatiable sexual appetite?

Most people I know (girls and guys) once they've heated themselves up enough to get to a bedroom with somebody else, do have a fairly similar levels of libido, though it does vary with the person, their mood, etc, etc, -- there's nothing weird or strange about this.

If you feel that you're being used by your other half who wants more sex than you do, then dump 'em and go find somebody you're compatible with!

[Wicknight -- I like that Allen quote :)]

Seraphina wrote:
    knowing that despite the fact that you might be number 1, he'd still rather be having sex with number's 2 to 10 if he could.

Think you are over analysising this a little too much

I mean, wouldn't you rather be with Robbie Williams or Brad Pitt? But you aren't, you are with your boyfriend. Does that mean you don't actually like him, you are just putting up with him until Robbie becomes available? No of course not, and the same with your boyfriend

Seraphina wrote:
    SOME women. some women go through life never enjoying sex. alot of women have to "bear with" it because many guys dont know how or aren't bothered pleasuring them.

The majority of women out there have the capacity to feel pleasure beyond that of men with the exception of those with medical conditions. In many instances, the occasions you refer to where men don't know how or aren't bothered are because many women believe its morally wrong to enjoy sex, or to help their partners during sex. Alot of this is tied to Religious education received as children, or the conditioning received from parents.

You can blame men if you want, but I've met a fair number of women who are afraid of expressing their opinions or desires when it comes to sex. Yes, some men don't care, but the majority want more than humping a corpse. I certainly want to know what a woman finds pleasureable.
    i know its just society and all that, but at the same time, women who go with their urges are called sluts. its those double standards again!

Its interesting to note, that its mostly other women (from my experience, at least) that will judge you as being a slut for that action. Most (not all) men won't judge a woman beyond the types of people she sleeps with.

I've slept with roughly 30 women in 28 years, and no long term relationships. Would that be slutty behaviour if I was a woman?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Vangelis wrote:
    Why do I know men who are not like this then?

Because they're cheating themselves.

My girlfriend was recently in Tahiti and the islands around it. She said the men were unbelievable - women were just holes. The men could not understand why she and her friends did not want to **** them. The men were always trying to have sex with everybody. The locals put up with it.

Now, some might say it is because Tahiti etc. is a bit ****ed (it is a bit ****ed), but I actually think it is us who are ****ed.

Naturally we are supposed to be going around having sex, fighting, killing each other (like in lawless parts of Africa.) But we have created a society to keep our "dangerous" instincts in check - violence and sex. It's not natural.

So naturally, yes, I think men just want a hole.

Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Fortunately, your opinion is not everybody else's, dublindude. I knew you would respond to this thread because you usually do when it has got to do with sex.

You think all men want a hole because you are only inside your own mind.
    It is not all men who want a hole, but you. Obviously you only know yourself - we all do.

Vangelis wrote:
    Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Fortunately, your opinion is not everybody else's, dublindude. I knew you would respond to this thread because you usually do when it has got to do with sex.

You think all men want a hole because you are only inside your own mind.
    It is not all men who want a hole, but you. Obviously you only know yourself - we all do.

Not true. I'm pretty sure most men in the world are like me. I'm just honest.

And you'll find I comment on a lot of things, not just sex issues. In fact, I rarely comment on sex issues.

Also, and I'm not trying to be offensive here, the boards.ie guys are highly nerdy...

dublindude wrote:
    Not true. I'm pretty sure most men in the world are like me.

Rhethorical question: Need I say more.. :rolleyes:

Vangelis wrote:
    Rhethorical question: Need I say more.. :rolleyes:

???

Good answer! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭lazydaisy

Actually feminists have long encouraged women to take pleasure into their own hands so to speak.;) Freedom starts with the body so the body became a political locus for feminists.

Womens sexuality is connected to cycles where as men have a necessity to unload because their bodies just keep making more sperm.

Dublin dude? If you only want a hole as you say what are you doing with a girlfriend?

lazydaisy wrote:
    Dublin dude? If you only want a hole as you say what are you doing with a girlfriend?

Sorry, I should have said single men (we have a tendency to calm down once we have a girlfriend.)

However... most guys cheat at some stage...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

dublindude wrote:
    You really are just full to the brim with bull, aren't ya?

For the record Vangelis, I've read that book, and I didn't get the same tone from it. But perhaps that's because I'm a man. You say the book said "Men want sex because ..... so women, just put up with it for God's sake". However, I read it as, "Before you write off your man as completely selfish prick, you may just want to consider that ..... so even though it's not a total excuse, it should help you understand what is (or isn't) going on in his head".

Different viewpoints I guess.

dublindude wrote:

Most guys don't cheat actually, and women are more likely to cheat on a long term partner (and when I say "women" I mean western american women, no idea if it holds for every culture)

• Advertisement

Wicknight wrote:
    Most guys don't cheat actually, and women are more likely to cheat on a long term partner (and when I say "women" I mean western american women, no idea if it holds for every culture)

LOL. Men don't cheat, American women do...?????

Right... :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement