Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Men and their.. insatiable lust

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

simu wrote:
    Because it's tiresome to have to read such inane chatter in what is supposed to be a relatively serious forum.

Yeah but it isn't tiresome to post complains about threads that no one is forcing you to reply to or even read :rolleyes:

Don't mind them Vangelis :p
    dublindude wrote:
    When men are drunk they really want to have sex. Is this the alcohol or is this their inhibitions removed?
    Its the alcohol. It basically, slowly, shuts down the higher developed parts of the human brain, so the lower level, older (from an evolutionary point of view) parts of the brain start to come to the front. Animal properties such as aggression and sexual drive increase, while logic, reasoning and other "human" traits are suppressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

dublindude wrote:
    When men are drunk they really want to have sex.
    Or a kebab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Beruthiel wrote:
    dinosaurs!!

sorry
    couldn't resist

No, men aren't lustful for dinosaurs. I did fancy a cartoon mermaid once tho.

[offtopic]
    Dinosaurs can be explained away with genesis, so can the whole 7 day thing (apparently its possible that a solar day during the earths formation, maybe have been longer than a solar day now). This was legally accepted (put forward by evolutionists no less, in a defence trial in the bad old days when evolution was banned in some US schools) and dropped like a hot cake as soon as evolution became legal again.

Wicknight wrote:
    Its the alcohol. It basically, slowly, shuts down the higher developed parts of the human brain, so the lower level, older (from an evolutionary point of view) parts of the brain start to come to the front. Animal properties such as aggression and sexual drive increase, while logic, reasoning and other "human" traits are suppressed.

GRrrrrrrrrr!

*smak* *Wibble*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Wicknight wrote:

OK. This has always been my point. Why have you been arguing against me up until now?

Our natural, animal instincts want us to have sex a lot. Our upbringing/etc forces us to make decisions which go against our animal instincts.

My argument has always been that our animal instincts, not our intelligence, are what really drive us (i.e. wanting power, passing on our genes, survival, etc.)

• Advertisement

dublindude wrote:
    OK. This has always been my point. Why have you been arguing against me up until now?

Because its most likely nonsense.
    Our natural, animal instincts want us to have sex a lot. Our upbringing/etc forces us to make decisions which go against our animal instincts.

Can you back this up as anything but amixture of Old Wives Tales/Pub Talk/Wild Speculation on your part?

Most recent reseatch suggests its about 3.2 million years or more since our ancestors chased things on phallic urges.

My argument has always been that our animal instincts, not our intelligence, are what really drive us (i.e. wanting power, passing on our genes, survival, etc.)

Animal instinct is a poor excuse, monogamy is an evolutionary driven survival tactic, not a sociologically driven ideal (well its both, but the social ideal came second).

dublindude wrote:
    Its not our upbringing, it is the higher evolved parts of the human brain, the bits that seperate us from other mammals, precisely the bits the alcohol suppress. And these bits contain instincts as well.
    dublindude wrote:
    And my argument is that that, in humans at least, is only a part of the picture, due to the other instincts and evolutinary processes that have developed over the last million years or so in humans.

Wicknight wrote:
    Its not our upbringing, it is the higher evolved parts of the human brain, the bits that seperate us from other mammals, precisely the bits the alcohol suppress. And these bits contain instincts as well.

The just doesn't make sense though.

As I've said, and this is true, go to parts of the world where they do not have proper education (and are generally poor.)

They do not seem to have particularily evolved "higher evolved parts". They're violent. They do a lot of ****ing. Etc.

Did evolution really miss them, or is it simply down to what we're thought growing up?

dublindude wrote:
    The just doesn't make sense though.
    It makes perfect sense
    dublindude wrote:
    As I've said, and this is true, go to parts of the world where they do not have proper education (and are generally poor.)
    And what? They all go around like they are drunk? Are you actually being serious?
    dublindude wrote:
    They do not seem to have particularily evolved "higher evolved parts". They're violent. They do a lot of ****ing. Etc.
    They (who ever they are) have pretty much the exact same evolved parts of the brain as you do.
    dublindude wrote:
    Did evolution really miss them, or is it simply down to what we're thought growing up?
    Your parents taught you, specifically, not to have sex with girls at parties? Really?

Why can't you accept the obvious facts?

Have you ever been to a poor country? I have. My female friends were continuously being harrased for sex by the men. Everywhere. All day.

Are they not as evolved as us?
    wicknight wrote:
    Your parents taught you, specifically, not to have sex with girls at parties? Really?

What are you talking about? I have sex with girls at parties. I'm a normal bloke. Why would I not want to have sex with girls at parties? What is your logic here?

• Advertisement

dublindude wrote:
    Why can't you accept the obvious facts?
    The "facts" dublindude are quite simple, and have been explained in psi post quite well ... you just aren't listening.
    dublindude wrote:
    Have you ever been to a poor country? I have. My female friends were continuously being harrased for sex by the men. Everywhere. All day.
    And...
    dublindude wrote:
    Are they not as evolved as us?
    They are exactly as evolved as us, and alochol has exact same effect on them. No idea where you are going with this or what point you think you are proving ..

dublindude wrote:
    What are you talking about? I have sex with girls at parties. I'm a normal bloke. Why would I not want to have sex with girls at parties? What is your logic here?
    So how are you any different than "poor" people you claim to be less educated than us?

Wicknight wrote:
    The "facts" dublindude are quite simple, and have been explained in psi post quite well ... you just aren't listening.

And...

They are exactly as evolved as us, and alochol has exact same effect on them. No idea where you are going with this or what point you think you are proving ..

So how are you any different than "poor" people you claim to be less educated than us?

But they're not drunk. They're sober. They're much more violent and want to have sex a lot, with lots of different people.

It's a lack of education. Not a lack of evolution.

You say I'm not listening? You're not listening. What's the difference between you and me except our opinions? Nada.

dublindude wrote:
    But they're not drunk. They're sober. They're much more violent and want to have sex a lot, with lots of different people.

Er ... what? :confused:

Poor, uneducated, people are very violent and want a lot of sex ... er .. ok, what exactly are you basing that rather bizare statement on?

Are you honestly saying that when well-off, well educated, people drink it removes their "education" and they act like normal poor uneducated people.

No idea where to start with the problems with that idea ...

Wicknight wrote:
    Er ... what? :confused:

Poor, uneducated, people are very violent and want a lot of sex ... er .. ok, what exactly are you basing that rather bizare statement on?

It's not a bizarre statement. Anyone who knows anything about the world knows the poor countries are violent and have a HIV problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

They probably act differently with local women. From TV etc, they get an image of Western women as being extremely promiscuous and they possibly figure the women might be up for a bit of fun on their vacation!

dublindude wrote:
    It's not a bizarre statement. Anyone who knows anything about the world knows the poor countries are violent and have a HIV problem.

So many things wrong with the grossly simplified view of world cultures I would need a couple of other threads just to address the first part. The main thing I would point out would be that Africans don't have a HIV problem cause they have more sex than us, they have one cause they are less likely to use condoms, or be identified as having HIV before they can spread the virus.

Still have no idea what this has to do with the instincts in men to cheat? Or monogamy? Or a man drunk at a party? .. or what a man drunk at a party with a boner has to do with men cheating on their long term partners?

This tread is getting very muddled, back to the issues ...

As psi explained, there is an instinct in all mammals (all animals) to have sex, but there is also an instinct in humans to form monogamis family units based around the idea of raising children. Do you disagree with either of these points?

Wicknight wrote:
    As psi explained, there is an instinct in all mammals (all animals) to have sex, but there is also an instinct in humans to form monogamis family units based around the idea of raising children. Do you disagree with either of these points?

Yes, let's try to stay on topic. We can do the AIDS one another day (my speciality!!)

Instinct in all animals to have sex. Yes.
    Instinct in humans to form monogamis family units? I agree that humans do want to form family units (for the first few years of the childs lives at least) but I disagree with the monogamis (is that how it's spelt??) bit. I really believe that's something society has given us. And people like to say they've never cheated (don't want to be considered a slut or wanker). And people would like to cheat the odd time.

I think this is pretty much the way humans are (in general, getting worse as the population gets less educated.)

dublindude wrote:
    Instinct in all animals to have sex. Yes.
    Agreed
    dublindude wrote:
    Instinct in humans to form monogamis family units? I agree that humans do want to form family units (for the first few years of the childs lives at least) but I disagree with the monogamis (is that how it's spelt??) bit.
    But as psi pointed out, it does a dis-service to the saftey and development of the family unit for a male human (or female) to have a large number of children from different women (ie a large number of family units). He then has to look after all these different children, spreading himself very thin.

It works fine in other mammals because the male does not take a direct role in raising the children. But he does in the human species (along with certain birds amoung other species)
    dublindude wrote:
    I really believe that's something society has given us. And people like to say they've never cheated (don't want to be considered a slut or wanker). And people would like to cheat the odd time.
    Isn't that more a reflection of (again as psi said) boredom, lack of emotional connection with partner etc than a primal instinct. Most people I know who have cheated on their partners have done it because they were not happy in the relationship, not because they were perfectly happy but driven to have random sex to spread their genes. And how many people who do do this do not feel any guilt afterwards? Guilt is evolutions way of structuring human behaviour.

Wicknight wrote:
    Guilt is evolutions way of structuring human behaviour.

Oh boy :) I believe guilt is beaten into us as a child. Some people feel guilty about some things, others about other things... (again, we'll leave this one for another day.)

Your argument that people may cheat because they are unhappy etc. Yes, I totally agree with this. They may also cheat because they are unstable, insecure, etc etc. (I'm sure you agree with this too.)

My argument has mostly been based around the above: that everyone has issues and that everyone gets unhappy in relationships (generally) at some stage. And that cheating happens. Much much much more than we'd like to believe.

I've never meant to imply that we're all walking sex machines. But I do believe if we didn't have the society around us which stops us cheating, we'd be doing a hell of a lot more ****ing/cheating/etc.

dublindude wrote:
    Oh boy :) I believe guilt is beaten into us as a child. Some people feel guilty about some things, others about other things... (again, we'll leave this one for another day.)
    "Guilt" is a very real biological process, that serves a very important evolutionary purpose. Exactly why we feel guilty over different things and not others is defined by both biology and up bringing. But as you said, another day...
    dublindude wrote:
    My argument has mostly been based around the above: that everyone has issues and that everyone gets unhappy in relationships (generally) at some stage. And that cheating happens. Much much much more than we'd like to believe.
    That is true, but I don't think it has very much to do with instinct or sexual drive. The reasons people get unhappy in relationships are long and complex, and the reasons someone who is unhappy then decides to cheat rather than ending the relationship are also long and complex. To claim that men cheat because they are controlled by, or cannot fight, a biological instinct to shag everything with a pulse is simplistic.

It would be interesting to see how many men who cheat actually cheat by having random sexual encounters with a large number of women. I would imagine the number is small. Most times I have heard of someone cheating the person is essentally carrying on two full blown relationships, and the reason they do this is emotional rather than physical sexual drive
    dublindude wrote:
    I've never meant to imply that we're all walking sex machines. But I do believe if we didn't have the society around us which stops us cheating, we'd be doing a hell of a lot more ****ing/cheating/etc.
    Whould we? Or would we simply be having a lot more, shorter, monogamous relationships?

You also seem to be talking about relationships with no reference to children, which is after all the biological reason we have sex. As I asked before, do you believe that a married man would cheat on his wife with many women if each infidelity resulted in a child?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭lazydaisy

I agree withh Dublin dude about guilt. I dont think it is instinctive but something which has been invented and exploited by institutions to control individuals. People cheat not only because they are unhappy but sometimes just because they can. Or they are bored. Or just simply horny. Or they want attention. Or who knows. There's a gazillion reasons. Given the opportunity I think a lot more people would have sex outside their principal relationship. People don't because we know we can't handle jealousy, so there is a sense of the principals of ownership in monogamy, marriage being the prime institution which gives one person LEGAL rights over another person's body.

Guilt has nothing to do with evolution. It is a moral biproduct, and morality is cultural, invented by man for man.

We all know how horny men are. Thats no big news. But the question is, what will happen to women once they start achieveing real equality. There is a totally different moral/cultural framework placed around women which may or may not have more to do with them playing the field less than guys do. As women gain economic equality and spend less time in the home, their opportunities for multiple sex partners will increase and perhaps their libidos will too.

If you notice, we kind of are going back to something more primal, where women have several kids from different men. That has coincided with the evolution of womens freedom in society and mens release from the obligation to marry.

lazydaisy wrote:
    I agree withh Dublin dude about guilt. I dont think it is instinctive but something which has been invented and exploited by institutions to control individuals.
    How do institutions invent a biological response in a human being such as guilt and regret?

Why we feel guilt and regret is certainly effected and in some cases defined by culture, but the actual feelings themselves I would imagine are biological (certainly the feeling of being sick to your stomach with guilt is)

Could be wrong, don't know a whole lot about it except this wikipedia article
    Evolutionary psychologists tend to think that guilt is a rational human emotion selected by evolution. If a person feels guilty when he harms another or even fails to reciprocate kindness, he is more likely not to harm others or become too selfish; in this way, he reduces the chances of retaliation by members of his tribe and thereby increases his survival prospects, and those of the tribe. As with any other emotion, guilt can be manipulated to control or influence others, yet it is likely more advantageous than not.
    lazydaisy wrote:
    marriage being the prime institution which gives one person LEGAL rights over another person's body.
    Legal rights over their body? In what way?
    lazydaisy wrote:
    It is a moral biproduct, and morality is cultural, invented by man for man.
    Some of it is, some of it isn't. Instinct plays a part of moral judgements. For example, the instinct not to sleep with your mother, or to have sex with, or harm a child. Most of morality is based around culture, and most of the exact reasons why we feel guilt is based around culture, but the processes themselves are biological.

As I said in a previous post, things like society and culture grow up around our more basic instintive habits. It would be unusual to find a cultural pheomonon (sp?) that has no link to more basic instincts of human behaviour.
    lazydaisy wrote:
    If you notice, we kind of are going back to something more primal, where women have several kids from different men. That has coincided with the evolution of womens freedom in society and mens release from the obligation to marry.
    Well that isn't going back to more primal time, that is a result of a more forward, sophisticated society than we have had before. Through social welfare, society has taken on some of the responsibility for raising the children of that society.

I am all for it, but to say it is a reflection of a more simplier time in human biological and cultural evolution is incorrect in my opinion.

In the "wild", a single human mother with multiple children from different fathers would not last long without help from others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Vangelis

Hello psi,

I assume that you do not mean to be offensive even if this post seems a bit... personal, can I say that? :) I've never been fond of sarcasm so I'm relieved that you're not attacking me.

I'll explain in brief.
    psi wrote:
    First some advice, if you claim you're using the ignore function, then use the ignore function. Replying to users you claim to have on ignore makes you look silly.

I put him off the list once to read that one post that I replied to. I placed him on my IL instantaneously after I had posted.
    Secondly (and stay with me here, as I do have a point), you indicate you don't believe in evolution, which is fair enough. You point towards religious beliefs, so I therefore assume that your alternative belief is in creationism ala genesis. If this is the case, do you also adhere to biblical teachings that sexual intercourse if for the sole purposes of reproduction?[/quote}

I do NOT believe that sexual intercourse is for the sole purpose of reproduction. And from what God tells me through the Bible, that is not so either. Sexuality is a gift. If you look at some of the songs and Solomo's writings, you'll find very romantic/erotic descriptions of the meeting between husband and wife on the wedding night etc. The Bible does not condemn the relishment of sexual activity, as long as it happens within the marriage.

Creationism does not impress me much, but I've heard many a good point made by creationists. Allthough, I respect that many scientists criticise the creationists' lack of observational proof for their theories and lack of scientific methods in trying to explain the creation.
    In response, you start a thread condemning their beliefs, influenced, in part at least, by your own beliefs. Do you see the paradox here?

I think I've made a proper answer for this above.
    If you do not believe that intercourse is solely for the purpose of reproduction, may I ask why you selectively adhere to some teachings and not to others (as this is off topic, PM or another thread would be ok).

The Bible does not teach us that sexual intercourse is only for reproduction.
    Like I've said earlier. So I do not selectively adhere to any teaching about it being only for reproduction.

Hope that gave you enough answers. :)

Vangelis wrote:
    I do NOT believe that sexual intercourse is for the sole purpose of reproduction. And from what God tells me through the Bible, that is not so either. Sexuality is a gift... The Bible does not condemn the relishment of sexual activity, as long as it happens within the marriage.

You do know the bible isn't supposed to be taken literally?

Don't believe me? Ask a priest.

I don't think using religion is a good form of argument. Especially the dreadfully messed up about sex religion that is Catholicism.

Why do so many priests molest kids Vangelis? They do seem to get their sex guidance from the bible...

Wicknight, you know I don't find the statement that evolution is responsible for the family unit and guilt. But I give you credits you for your clear-mindedness.

Regarding the family unit I'd like to point out an earlier statement which we seemed to agree upon. That our biology is reflected in society. I think this becomes a bit too simple in connection with the a biologically evolved want for a family unit. Some people choose not to have a family, some establish a monogamic relationship without wanting children, some cannot have children but live together in a monogamic relationship(they love eachother?), some men leave their girlfriends after having impregnated them. Some take abortion because they don't want a child(could be relevant in some cases?).

So my conclusion is that the different choices we make do not reflect our biology. At least not in all cases, if indeed the want for a family unit is in our genes. Then these people who act differently must have a different biology! But that doesn't sound too sane either.

Vangelis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭lazydaisy

There is nothing in that article to suggest that guilt is biological. You think its programmed into our neurological systems? Oh come on. What that article suggests is that it is a product of risking rejection from your social group. So really what your talking about is fear. That to me seems far more a practical response than a biological one. There is nothing in there to substantiate that guilt is from biological response. Stop applying Judeo/Catholic control tactics to a universal human nature. What rubbish. Institutions invent it by saying "Do this, think this, feel this, say this or you will be punished, by hurting you or telling you you are a very very bad person, but you cant help yourself because of original sin, its human nature to be bad, but you still must be punished." That's how.

Marriage is a legal institution which holds intact laws around the rights and responsibilities people have around each others bodies. It is a way to police the human body without actually having to have a policing agent present. That is why adultery is grounds for divorce in most countries. Sometimes its even grounds for stoning a woman to death. That is why a child born within marriage is the legal son of the husband whether or not he is the biological one. That is why spouses are given automatic rights to make decisions about each other in the case of hospitalisations. Marriage has traditionally been about property and inheritance. It is only the late 19th century to now that people marry for love. How is that working out I ask? Not too well from what I can see.

The incest prohibition is perhaps the one universal taboo the whole world shares. The not wanting to sleep with your mother/father/brother/sister however is also cultural, set up and enforced by a complex set of rules. I dont agree that it is instinctive or biological. Meaning if you met a hot woman, and didnt know it was your mother, chances are you'd want to bed her, and chances are you would bed her if she let you.

The kids from different partners is going back to a more primal time. Definitely. I would guess a time that was pre-farming and matriarchal. Just look at Africa or the Maoris. We can still see it today. Romanian women share the breastfeeding with each other and Irish nurses flip out and tell them to stop. Why? Because the Romanian women are used to a culture which shares the raising of kids and Irish women are used to the catholic family model. Instinct has nothing to do with it.

lazydaisy wrote:
    There is nothing in that article to suggest that guilt is biological. You think its programmed into our neurological systems?

Just to add. I've heard that there is disagreement between psychologist whether guilt or rather (bad) conscience is biological or taught by society.

It would seem though that it is biological because we have the ability to empathise. Empathy is something that separates us humans from animals. I'll try to find an article on this. This is very interesting!! *eager*
    It is only the late 19th century to now that people marry for love. How is that working out I ask? Not too well from what I can see.

You can dig deep for possible reasons for the "failure" of marriage in our times. It wasn't so bad in 50 years ago.
    The incest prohibition is perhaps the one universal taboo the whole world shares. The not wanting to sleep with your mother/father/brother/sister however is also cultural, set up and enforced by a complex set of rules. I dont agree that it is instinctive or biological. Meaning if you met a hot woman, and didnt know it was your mother, chances are you'd want to bed her, and chances are you would bed her if she let you.

From my knowledge, those who fall in love with their sisters/brothers/parents have some kind of mental illness(psychopathy, psychosis). That's all that I can say.

Good information on empathy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empathy

Obs! The article states that empathy can be found in animals too, but there is some disagreement on this. I'll find something on this. There is research that suggests otherwise.

I'm back with an article that I think is relevant to whether empathy(of which guilt is a result) is natural(biological) or societal(taught).

http://www.empathogens.com/empathy

Exracts:

"The research is part of a larger effort to find the neurological basis of social interaction, particularly empathy, a basic part of human nature that allows most, but not all, people to care about others."

" "By imitation we may feel what another person felt, which is the very definition of human empathy," said Decety."

It seems that empathy is a natural, ergo guilt is natural. Innate as they put it in the Wikipedia-article.

This is really fascinating.

lazydaisy wrote:
    There is nothing in that article to suggest that guilt is biological. You think its programmed into our neurological systems? Oh come on. What that article suggests is that it is a product of risking rejection from your social group. So really what your talking about is fear.
    What do you think fear is? Fear is a biological response too.

I am talking about changes in brain chemistry that physically alter mood and perception.

Have you never felt physically bad when feeling guilty? The sick feeling in your stomach, that lack of concentration, you can get upset to the point of crying, depression, lack of sleep. These are all physical mainifistations of the emotion. Stong feelings of guilt can raise blood pressure, cause vomitting and lack of appatite.

Are all these physical effects invented by society? How exactly?
    lazydaisy wrote:
    There is nothing in there to substantiate that guilt is from biological response. Stop applying Judeo/Catholic control tactics to a universal human nature.
    You think Judaism invented the emotion of guilt .. give me a break ...

The concept of guilt is in every culture around the world and has been recongised since written history. It is major factor in everything from Greek plays to the Asian social systems of shame/honour.
    lazydaisy wrote:
    What rubbish. Institutions invent it by saying "Do this, think this, feel this, say this or you will be punished, by hurting you or telling you you are a very very bad person, but you cant help yourself because of original sin, its human nature to be bad, but you still must be punished." That's how.

Ok, so when I'm 9 and I'm messing around and I smash my brothers Gameboy into the ground and he runs off crying, the reason I feel guilty about this is because the Judeo/Catholic institutions have controlled me (through violence seemingly) and manipulated me by telling me I'm a bad person, to the point where I feel bad about this, and that is why I feel guilty that I broke his toy and upset him. Because guilt isn't instinctive, it is taught to us. Ok then, I'm convinced, its the church that made me feel bad ...

(btw my family are not religious, I've been to mass like 5 times in my life)
    lazydaisy wrote:
    It is a way to police the human body without actually having to have a policing agent present. That is why adultery is grounds for divorce in most countries.
    Adultery is grounds for divorce cause if you are screwing around with someone your husband/wife isn't expected to put up with you. What that has to do with policing our bodies I have no idea.
    lazydaisy wrote:
    Sometimes its even grounds for stoning a woman to death.
    Not in Ireland
    lazydaisy wrote:
    That is why a child born within marriage is the legal son of the husband whether or not he is the biological one.
    Only by default.

If the father is present for the birth cert then they are put down as the father. The rule you mention avoids the need to ask every time a married woman has a child "Is your husband the father" ..

I certainly agree the system isn't perfect, and any single man having a child needs to be aware they don't can't be automatically assumed to be the father without coming forward. I have friends who work in social worker and this has cause a few heart breaks when a single man assumes he is next of kin his child when in fact, legally it is the mothers parents cause he never presented on the birth certificate. But then again if he doesn't present on the birth cert how does anyone know he actually is the father ..
    lazydaisy wrote:
    That is why spouses are given automatic rights to make decisions about each other in the case of hospitalisations.
    Again, only in default. If you don't want your husband/wife to have next of kin responsability you state that. Most people wouldn't object.
    lazydaisy wrote:
    Marriage has traditionally been about property and inheritance.
    That is certainly true.
    lazydaisy wrote:
    How is that working out I ask? Not too well from what I can see.
    Maybe people shouldn't get married ...I'm certainly not a big fan and don't plan too be doing it any time soon.
    lazydaisy wrote:
    The incest prohibition is perhaps the one universal taboo the whole world shares. The not wanting to sleep with your mother/father/brother/sister however is also cultural, set up and enforced by a complex set of rules.
    In which cultures do men sleep with their mothers? (seriously, not saying you are wrong, I don't know)
    lazydaisy wrote:
    Meaning if you met a hot woman, and didnt know it was your mother, chances are you'd want to bed her, and chances are you would bed her if she let you.[/quote
    Well obviously it only works if you know its your mother ... humans have an instinct to run away from fire, doesn't mean that they won't go into a building if they don't know there is a fire in there ...
    lazydaisy wrote:
    Romanian women share the breastfeeding with each other and Irish nurses flip out and tell them to stop. Why? Because the Romanian women are used to a culture which shares the raising of kids and Irish women are used to the catholic family model. Instinct has nothing to do with it.
    Instinct to do what exactly? I am not following your point. Where did I say it was or was not instinctive to have close friends and family help raise a child?

Do these romanian's have kids from multiple fathers?

And by the way, the vast majority of Romanians are Christians and not really "primative"

• Advertisement

Vangelis wrote:
    You can dig deep for possible reasons for the "failure" of marriage in our times. It wasn't so bad in 50 years ago.

Was it not so bad, or did we just not know cause people couldn't seperate?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement