Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pes5 baby

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Oh Yeah! Anyone know of any good leagues for PE4 or PE5?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Ok.......

Its slower. The players move as if they are 18 wheelers rather than top performance athletes. The passing is sometimes annoying, going to the wrong player or even worse straight to the opposition. The commentary is still Sh*te. The through ball, especially the L1 triangle that I loved so dear, has been taken out and replaced with utter sh*t.

Why then is this game far supperior, not only to any other footie game out there, but indeed to its own predessor???

Because after playing it for 10 mins for the 1st time if you where then to pick up a joypad and try to play pes 4 you straight away feel how inadequte it is in comparison to its bigger brother.

Graphically, PES5 is alot shaper, smoother, no slowdown etc. The palyers, although they turn like the 39 on its way to blanch, are more responsive, their touch is better. There has been some mention of their touch being worse. To that I say try R2 and a direction. Simple as.

1st goal I scored on pes 5 was with Ronaldinho, 30 yards top corner. You can't do that with PES 4. You also can't do it with everybody. Good players can, realistically, score from various ranges.

Free kicks are alot better now too, cause you can score them every now and again.

the defence AI is sharper, although still prone to mistakes. Wing backs will make runs for you up the line and generally assits you when attacking.

Imo its a big improvement on PES 4, and they obviously didn't just tweak certain things and churn out a new model. They chaneged things. They tried to make a better game and on the most part suceeded. The through ball is annoying as is the constant fouling, even if it does reflect the growing trend in football of diving. As always theres a lot to fix, but thats just being picky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭cr1spy

Had it since Friday, and I have mixed opinions.

Pros-

-The way players strength now actually makes a difference. Seening Jan Koller hold off Lucio before heading a lovely knock to Baros was great. I always felt in previous games height/strength never made a huge difference.

-Related to that point, crosses and corners now actually let you score. In PES4 I rarely scored from corners, and even if my player connected with the cross, there was a good chance he'd head it straight over.

-Animation has been improved all round. Lovely.

-Volleys are much improved. Previously half the time my player would head the ball instead of letting it drop.

-Free kicks are easier. (I was always brutal at free kicks, despite playing since ProEvo on the PS1)

Cons-

-Major one here- most players complete inability to control a simple pass. This is the main thing that is really pissing me off. Before I loved playing as Italy/AC Milan and stroking the ball around patiently waiting for a opening. Now, even players like Zidane and Pirlo look like they're never seen a football before in their lives. Related to this that simple X passes are beyond the capabilites of most players.

-Dribbling is impossible even with the likes Giggs/Robinho/Zidane. I know PES4 was a bit extreme, being able to hold on to the ball for ages, but its got too difficult. Wingers are essentially useless, as the full back will catch up within seconds, and its hard to beat them a second time.

-Shooting outisde the box is unrealistic. Everytime any half decent striker gets near the box they tend to score, even on their weaker foot.Again, PES4 was maybe too difficult in this regard, but it takes away the pleasure of getting a 25 yard screamer.

Anyway Ive only had it since Friday, playing against my brother, so I'll have to give it more time. At the moment its a 7.5/10. I think I prefer PES4 :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Headers were fairly ease to score from corners I found in PES4 , scoring from crosses was quite difficult but double pressing O was a fairly effective cross and if the defender didn't head the ball away (which they usually did) then the striker was odds on to score .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

cr1spy wrote:
    -Dribbling is impossible even with the likes Giggs/Robinho/Zidane. I know PES4 was a bit extreme, being able to hold on to the ball for ages, but its got too difficult. Wingers are essentially useless, as the full back will catch up within seconds, and its hard to beat them a second time.
    It took me ages to achieve but I can dribble past players. Its all to do with your use of the left anologue stick. If your clever you can do plenty of stuff to send the defender the wrong way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭cr1spy

Slurms wrote:
    It took me ages to achieve but I can dribble past players. Its all to do with your use of the left anologue stick. If your clever you can do plenty of stuff to send the defender the wrong way.

Am I the only one still using the D-pad? I just never got use to analouge stick, it didn't feel responsive enough ro something. Never got the feel of it:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 hermann

I think it's a big improvement:

The through ball or lofted through ball is different, but not worse. It now works better from longer range, like when you're just inside your own half and you see on the radar that a striker is in space. You can also use it from the wing to do a cool low cross.

The passing is way more difficult, but you can still play a fluid passing game if you concentrate like hell. Just make sure you're player is facing the right way and passing to someone with a bit of space, make sure you aim the stick right and hold down X if you want to pass to the 2nd nearest player. I love the way you can pass the ball well on the volley with a little flick.

Has anyone tried the controlled shot? Press R2 while shooting and with a good player he kind of opens his body and hits an accurate side-footed shot a-la Henry against Ireland, can score some lovely goals but its not so easy as to be a cheat.

All the fouling is a bit annoying, but headers and volleys are so much easier now that any free kick near the box is a really good chance.

Playing against the computer is really hard, but if you play the passing game you'll get chances. Make sure not to press square when defending to get another defender to come towards the ball cos if a striker is free he'll get in, even Iran's players now have the passing ability of Zidane now. Also i think sliding tackles are better than pressing X, less likely to give a way a free. It's a lot easier to score in some ways though headers from corners are easier and i think shooting is more powerful and accurate.

The games seem really scrappy and boring until you get the hang of what works and what doesn't.

I have only one huge gripe: the offside rule. The rule says there must be daylight between the attacker and the last defender, and benefit of the doubt should go to the attacker. In pro-evo i see clearly level attackers given offside all the time.

cr1spy wrote:
    Am I the only one still using the D-pad? I just never got use to analouge stick, it didn't feel responsive enough ro something. Never got the feel of it:)

I havent got PES5 yet but I use the D-pad .

hermann wrote:

I have only one huge gripe: the offside rule. The rule says there must be daylight between the attacker and the last defender, and benefit of the doubt should go to the attacker. In pro-evo i see clearly level attackers given offside all the time.

Thats not actually the rule , it is at the discretion of the assistant/referee to call a free or not when a player is ahead of his man but some of his body is still in line with the man . There is no such rule involving daylight or benefit of doubt to the attacker thats just what SKY wish was in force .

cr1spy wrote:
    I cant use the D-pad it feels so crap and unresponsive. Each to his own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

ok i like this game a lot. have had it since thursday night and have been playin online games and master league(xbox verison).

1st things first. the xbox version is far superior to the ps2 version. ps2 suffers from a lot of slowdown.

xbox live is a lot better this year. havnt noticed any lag at all.

the game is a lot slower and a lot harder to score but ive noticed i score most of my goals from outside the box. maybe im just good.... ;)

one thing ive noticed is there is no eusebio in the game. boourns.

I bought the strategy guide and have been reading it recently. its a beast of a book and its amazing how much people dont know about this game. there is so many things you can do. little trciks and whatever. great stuff.

overall its the best version yet and the most realistic. frustrating at times but so is the real thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

evad_lhorg wrote:

I bought the strategy guide and have been reading it recently. its a beast of a book and its amazing how much people dont know about this game. there is so many things you can do. little trciks and whatever. great stuff.

waste of your dosh tbh:

www.pesmoves.com
    www.pesfan.com (huge guide there once you register for free... with sample movies of moves/tricks in action!!)

whiskeyman wrote:
    waste of your dosh tbh:

www.pesmoves.com
    www.pesfan.com (huge guide there once you register for free... with sample movies of moves/tricks in action!!)
    But they've missed some stuff.
    I'd like to see the guide but I dont have money so I'll have to just make do with what I can do now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Slurms wrote:
    But they've missed some stuff.
    I'd like to see the guide but I dont have money so I'll have to just make do with what I can do now.

The guide is in a forum ,just posts one after the other not a guide like you buy.
    Very good guide tbh.

http://www.pesfan.com/bulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=168 register and it becomes visable.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    The guide is in a forum ,just posts one after the other not a guide like you buy.
    Very good guide tbh.

http://www.pesfan.com/bulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=168 register and it becomes visable.

kdjac
    I've seen it it is good. But I can't help but wonder what the other one contains :confused:

Slurms wrote:
    I've seen it it is good. But I can't help but wonder what the other one contains :confused:

Theres another one?

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

KdjaC wrote:
    Theres another one?

kdjac

There's an official printed guide:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1903511771/202-5322756-1737409
    (why oh why Madden '05 is seen as a "Perfect Partner" on Amazon :p )

Piggyback Interactive are behind it:
    http://www.piggybackinteractive.com/en/news/?id_news=293
    and you can download samples here:
    http://www.piggybackinteractive.com/en/downloads/?

Ah right missed that post.

kdjac

Advertisement