Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pes5 baby

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I am having a love-hate relationship with PES5 at the moment.
    I love some of the amazing moves and goals... but hate the annoying fouls and stupid pass mistakes time after time.
    However, I downloaded the FIFA06 demo (again) and it has reaffirmed my allegance to PES.... FIFA has some nice touches.. seems very fluid... but the shooting and "arcade" factor just make it no where near PES.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭TOPDAWG

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGH!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

Its pi$$in me off big time!

Might as well be playing NBA live, touch a player and its a free kick making it near impossible to regain posssession.
    First touch is woeful, players have no control whatsoever,cant run with the ball, its like their on ice for gods sake.

Now i know a new pro evo always takes time to get used to but christ it shouldnt be this annoying!!
    Very disappointed so far but il give it time.

And whats the deal with the stand being empty when in the ball is in play but their full when the ball is out of play and during the animations.
    :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

TOPDAWG wrote:
    And whats the deal with the stand being empty when in the ball is in play but their full when the ball is out of play and during the animations.
    :mad: :mad:

I noticed that too.. strange indeed... liked that shot though during goal celebrations when the camera's at the back of the stand and you can see people in front of it jumping and waving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

Mossy Monk wrote:
    do you partake in the X-Box v Playstation v Gamecube debates also?

Na Playstation Kicks Xbox ass!! :D

Its like this everyone has there own opinion on everything
    I just think PES5 is CRAP i have had the both of them for
    a few weeks and never play PES5 anymore just Fifa.

Im just waiting for PES5 to go online and try it again.

:EDIT: GAMECUBE WTF??

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Borat_Sagdiyev

CiaranC wrote:
    Its great - a bit less arcadey and a little harder. And the randomness adds a bit more realism. Theres much more chance of getting turned over by a lesser team on account of a fluke, which hopefully will add a bit more longevity. Theres nothing that pisses me off more about PES than winning the Master League and getting a good team only to find yourself winnning 5-0 every week. Wheres the challenge?

Still the same rubbish ML though, still no ability to move clubs either.

Just need a good patch and optionfile for the xbox version now.

No ability to move clubs? I've recently bought PES4 and I can put whatever clubs I like into the master league. So I've chosen a division 1 and 2 based on the english premier league. The four leagues I have are :

English
    Spanish
    German
    Italian

All you need to do is unlock the option in the PES shop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Yes, but you cant start your career with one club and move to another during the same game ala sensible soccer or even fifa.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Borat_Sagdiyev

Oh right, didn't get what you meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Feels more like the football you would see down the local park rather than international level.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Got it just there, i like it. More realistic.

Gonna have a tournie tonight with some mates of mine (I blew all my drinking money on the game :()

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Love Pro Evo and the last version I got was Pro Evo 3. Is 5 worth getting?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

Lemlin wrote:
    Love Pro Evo and the last version I got was Pro Evo 3. Is 5 worth getting?

Well if you were to ask me id say no, cuz its crap.

ricey wrote:
    Man, back up your statements. Tell us why its crap etc.

Lemlin, if it was me Id advise you to buy it. It improves on the series and is alot more realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Slurms wrote:
    Man, back up your statements. Tell us why its crap etc.

Lemlin, if it was me Id advise you to buy it. It improves on the series and is alot more realistic.

But realistic does not mean more fun. I thought the previous pro evos got the balance between arcade & simulator perfect. It was always much more sim than arcade but was still great fun to play and took ages to master. I feel it has gone far too sim at the expense of fun.

You know those boring games of football you watch on tv in which one team has everyone behind the ball and the other team cant brake them down ? thats what every game of pro evo 5 feels like. The play feels sluggish and noone wants the game to stop every 10 seconds due to silly fowls or nudges. It has taken an ugly aspect of football today ( players going down when someone even bumps off them ) into the game.

The previous games of pro evo felt like football at its best, they showed the best of the sport, this version has gone the opposite direction. These are just my opinions thoughs.

Tusky wrote:
    But realistic does not mean more fun. I thought the previous pro evos got the balance between arcade & simulator perfect. It was always much more sim than arcade but was still great fun to play and took ages to master. I feel it has gone far too sim at the expense of fun.

You know those boring games of football you watch on tv in which one team has everyone behind the ball and the other team cant brake them down ? thats what every game of pro evo 5 feels like. The play feels sluggish and noone wants the game to stop every 10 seconds due to silly fowls or nudges. It has taken an ugly aspect of football today ( players going down when someone even bumps off them ) into the game.

The previous games of pro evo felt like football at its best, they showed the best of the sport, this version has gone the opposite direction. These are just my opinions thoughs.

I'd disagree, it just takes some getting used to and then you'll be flying. The makers have said don't hold X all the time as it does give away silly frees, you'll have to adjust and adapt to the new style of the game. Once you do, yer flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I think the fouling is 100% spot on, stops the noobtards.

The game is almost the best in terms of gameplay, formational settings are revamped from pes4. I guess those who like to manually change each setting will see this.

On a progamer level its more even and less random than it was.

Play it like a new game :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I think this review at Four-Four-Two sums it up pretty well:
    http://www.fourfourtwo.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Games/0,,11442,00.html

They've broken PES! Oh no, hang on...

Your first reaction to the new Pro Evolution Soccer may well be one of horror. That's because the whole emphasis of the game has been shifted, meaning it plays quite unlike previous offerings. At first it frustrates, infuriates even, but fear not, soon that warm glow of addictive gameplay for the footy purist returns...

So what's the cause of all this panic? Well, if Pro Evo 4 was a midfielder's game - characterised by tight control, neat passing and sweeping moves that inevitably culminated in a tap-in - Pro Evo 5 is all about strikers and defenders. You'll have to adapt your own playing style or face the humiliation of defeat at the hands of newcomers to the series.

In a nutshell, Pro Evo gets physical, out-muscling any opposition in terms of how the ball behaves when it collides with players. This seemingly technical change has had a profound effect on gameplay, slowing down passages of play and ensuring more passes go astray, making for a more exciting, varied experience.

The spirit of variety continues with improved long-range shooting. Scoring from distance is by no means child's play - but the Pro Evo 4's tendency for your shots to go straight at the keeper has, mercifully, been reduced.

In PES 5 players have more of a presence on the field - which you'll notice from increased deflections and interceptions. This change filters down to details such as first touch, which is far less reliable than in previous Pro Evos - the ball won't stick to your player's foot, especially not if he's making a run.

The downside of this is that dribbling is more tricky. The undeniable upside is that you spend far less time watching your opponent enjoying long periods of possession. It can be messy at times, but Pro Evo 5 is a far more open, combative and therefore realistic affair than its forebears.

Get past the initial confusion of the new, more physical PES and you'll see how beneficial this change is in terms of the realism and excitement of matches. No longer does a hopeful blocking tackle unfailingly clear the ball into touch or quash an attacking threat. Quickly recovering attackers and a realistically bobbling ball make for tasty 50-50s and beg the defenders to think carefully before lunging in.

Another damned good reason not to lunge in is that free-kicks have been made far easier to score. The difficulty level has been notched down from 'nigh-on impossible' to merely 'realistic' - but now free-kicks actually pose a threat, so there's no excuse for kamikaze defending and every chance of bending it like Beckham.
    Lee Hall

GRAPHICS: Passable likenesses of players 4/5
    SOUND: Commentary still falls short 3/5
    LIFESPAN: Not easy to master, very addictive 5/5
    GAMEPLAY: Dribbles round its rivals 5/5
    OVERALL: The Mourinho of games. Damned sexy! 5/5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭TOPDAWG

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ya dont think Four Four Twos view may be a bit bias seeing as their major sponsors to the game???

Iv been playin it for the last few hours,started a league and after 9 games ive lost 3 games 2-0 and drawn 6 of them 0-0!!! I mean come on give us a break like,not one goal or decent chance to note!! NOOOO Pro Evo game has ever taken this long to get used to and SHOULDNT take this long.

Whats this about not using the X button!?? FOR F***S SAKE LIKE!?? How are ya supposed to regain possession?? As ROAR said to me earlier,your first touch is the ball bouncing away from ya and your 2nd touch is a tackle to give away a free!? Doesnt matter anyway cos every team ive played against might as well have been brazil.

It seems like the computer team has the most perfect AI while the team you control has brutal AI, it feels so sluggish tryin to get your players to run and move its like their being dragged back by invisible magnets and wearing wellingtons!! And as someone mentioned up above about their wing backs moving in centre, i was attacking in one game 2-0 down, my AMF had possession and my two centre forwards RAN BACK PAST him!!!! WTF LIKE!?!?!

I just played a game der against NEC NJIMEGEN and you'd swear they were AC Milan, passin the ball around effortlessly, ooops i bumped in to one of them FREE KICK, defending like giants.

Im majorly fed up and annoyed with it and cant see myself getting that "feeling" about it that all the other ones going back to the days it was on the Super Nintendo (simpler times btw)!!!!!

Oh yeah and this new "snow" feature!! PURE STUPIDITY!! Ya cant even see the "orange" ball. Waste of time.

rant over....... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭TheGreatOne

I'm gonna give this two weeks and If I dont notice the gameplay becoming more natural then I'll probably go back to 4.
    I thnink I will eventually master it though and have great fun with it. It's far more realistic and people who do master it will never be beaten by players who just dripple the pitch and grab a jammy goal like in 4. Those pricks just annoy me, wheres the skill in it?

Started a ML with Bayern today, on 6 star (don't see the point in playing it on anything less, tales the challenge out of it), I've only notched a couple of goals, but they were the type of goals I'd never score on PES3 or 4, which is great imo. I think through balls work better and the manual pass with R3 will have to be used way more often if ya wanna cut open defences.
    The long throw is very useful and I like the way your player backs into an opponent before receiving the ball from a kick out or whatever, way more realistic than the opposition always heading it back towards your goal a la PES4.

I have to admit it does seem sluggist at times but it think thats only because I dont fully understand how players move and react yet, i.e pass it straight to a guy with a bit of pace on it and he wont be able to burn down the wing in 3 seconds and run into the box and score cause he'll have to control it properly first, but pass it infront of him to run on to, use a bit of R2 trickery and yer off.
    And crosses are also way better, I like the way I can now cross to guys running towards the box or waiting outside or on the edge of it with a lot more consistency.

Anyway, thats what I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Started a ML with Bayern today, on 6 star (don't see the point in playing it on anything less, tales the challenge out of it)
    Well in PES4 6star was actually easier then 5star because with 6star the teams play more direct attacking football whereas with 5star they play patient, indirect, bastard football :)

This may apply to PES5 too! Anyone check this out yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

ricey wrote:

You have no idea what you are talking about. Just stick with Fifa...nobody cares...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Anymore retarded posts like Fifa is dedly n pes5 is crape or pes5 is dadlee on peeeeeessssssssssssss2.

And a weeks banning.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Lets be fair, this years fifa has some nice touches, the players lounge pisses all over this memorial match crapness.

Gameplay wise Fifa is getting there. The gap between them has got closer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

Played this for hours at a friends last night. Much better than PES4. THe thing the struck me most was the difference in the way you control the ball if you're holding R1. I didn't realise that I held R1 so much.

TOPDAWG wrote:
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ya dont think Four Four Twos view may be a bit bias seeing as their major sponsors to the game???.....

...Oh yeah and this new "snow" feature!! PURE STUPIDITY!! Ya cant even see the "orange" ball. Waste of time.

rant over....... :o

yeah well done linnane..

I honestly cant remember being this annoyed with any of the updates before.. although i will admit i havent spent as much time with it as i would have liked..

as with all the pro evos though, its a case of give it time..

After holding my first Pro Evo 5 tournie with some mates we've all come to the conclusion its a legend of a game. Ah the memories of shouting at my mates for ballooning the ball miles over the goal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭TheGreatOne

I think I'm starting to get the hang of things now. Played against a real opponent today and had great fun with it, again the goals we scored were so sweet, nothing like in 4.

I agree with
    The thing that struck me most was the difference in the way you control the ball if you're holding R1. I didn't realise that I held R1 so much.
    this, letting up on R1 more often than not really helps gameplay, I only use it now if I'm tracking back on an attacker or buring off down the wing or something. Using it in defense or midfield with possession is really unnecessary now, you'll just loose posession, which is more realistic.

Has anyone notice the close control of Zidane, its unreal, I have him dancing around guys on 6 star, class:D

screamer! i scored a 25 yard belter with giggs on the half volley last night, curled outside the post and came back in, it was magic... i left a yelp out of me, first when it left his boot and then when it went in.. my sister thought something was after happening! it was one of those PES moments... (that i forgot to save)...

i'm in love with pro evo again!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

This is my first foray into the world of PES since the original International Superstar Soccer back on the SNES. And I must say, Im delighted with the game.

True, I cant score in a brothel and my ball winning leaves a lot to the imagination, but Ive only played about 10 matches so I'm looking forward to learn the game better and better and developing some sort of ability. Lifespan will be huge with this game for me.

I have it on Xbox and the controls are really good, everything is in a fairly easy to get to spot.

My biggest achievement so far, getting the knack of the three basic stepovers and especially, getting the knack of the "trap and turn to face the opposing goal" skill.

Tonight, I'm going to try and learn how to score!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

I'm happpy it's changed. If I wanted to spend 55€ on a game that was the exact same as the last one I would have bought FIFA. The changes they've made all work well, and make the game as realistic as it can be without taking the fun out of it. It's going to take me a while to get used to them, but hell that's what will keep me playing it.
    And online play, can't wait to try that out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Has anyone played online yet? Am I better off get the PC version or the PS2 version? I would like to play it online, but which version of the game is best for online? What kind of internet connection is required to play without slowdown? Upload/download speeds etc?

Advertisement