Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Post a picture of your car here, part 3 (Quote A Photo, GET A 24 HOUR BAN!!!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

My chariot after my patented exterior valeting procedure yesterday:

IMG_3490.jpg

IMG_3489.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭ando

Which ones?

my diesel has 57 more foot pounds of torque :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

ando wrote:
    my diesel has 57 more foot pounds of torque :p

So's a bus. He said "faster" and "diesels". So thats more than one diesel thats "faster" 0-60 and top speed. The 4.0 TDI can do it. Dunno what else. I'm not ragging, I'm just curious. I like diesels myself. But the GTI is car of the year for some of the car mags. Be interested in what he thinks beats it.

Ernie Ball - Sexy. Did you re-touch the photo? Looks great regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I can remember driving a souped up VW Passat 130 red eye with a remapped ecu etc., I drove in England about four years ago and the thing was a rocket, 0-60 in about 6 seconds flat. The BMW 535 diesel is another car that is faster than the golf, I drove one when they came out and you wouldn't think it was diesel, I think they are twin turbo but I could stand corrected. I'm sorry but I'm not obsessed with facts and figures but I'd say they're faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Modded car doesn't count. otherwise you have to allow a modded GTI aswell. Ok the 535D and A8 4.0 TDI are quicker. But seriously more expensive. Both to run AND to buy. If I win the lotto I'll let you know what you think. But have you driven either?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I drove the 535d and its a flyer and a great car to drive but I don't like the styling and I don't think I ever will. I have the E39 M5 and I love the design and I always did but I'm sorry to say it's going to be the last BMW car I'll ever own. I think the current 5 series just looks bland and boring just like the Lexus IS200 in many ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Alfa 159 2.4 JTD - 200bhp, about twice the torque of the GTi, similar price. Oh, and the Alfa has been styled, as opposed to tabled at a customer clinic and not objected to.

Ernie Ball - Sexy. Did you re-touch the photo? Looks great regardless.

Didn't retouch it. Did adjust the contrast a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bmoferrall

(Slightly OT...thought I'd shoehorn them here n'anyway)

Love the rear end of the standard Brera, less so the front end.
    This, on the other hand...

Alfa Brera GTA
    tongue0022.gif

P1010306.jpg
    alfa_romeo_brera_gta_201.jpg
    "the GTA will be powered by a 4.2 litre V8 engine with Multiair delivering 440 bhp and no less than 500 Nm of torque"
    How much do organs, or your average gran, fetch on the black market these days? :o

Again, not overly enamoured with the 159's face, but this looks great:

159_black_raggi.jpg

...coming soon to a showroom near you

Ernie Ball wrote:
    ...my patented exterior valeting procedure...
    Please share :)

• Advertisement

DirtyDog wrote:
    Here yah go :)
    GTIpark.jpg
    Great picture DirtyDog...hope you weren't waiting too long for that effect

...as opposed to tabled at a customer clinic and not objected to.
    Actually, the hidden rear door handles of the 156 were dropped from the 159 because of negative feedback in customer clinics :( (sorry, lost the source on this*)

*Edit: Here it is.
    No longer are the rear handles hidden to surprise and then delight baffled rear occupants. "Our clinics told us that customers didn't like the hidden handles," says Alfa's engineering chief, Paolo Masai.
    (I've never met anyone who didn't like this feature)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Well they were harder to use and they didn't really fool anyone did they !

That 159 is a lovely progression IMO !

BTW isn't the BMW a 530d............didn't know there was a 535d !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

Yeh, the 535 is the one with progressive turbos, one small one and then a bigger one, it was on top gear. They've released a 520d too now, 47mpg! I'll believe it when I see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

junkyard wrote:
    I can remember driving a souped up VW Passat 130 red eye with a remapped ecu etc., I drove in England about four years ago and the thing was a rocket, 0-60 in about 6 seconds flat.

A remapped 130bhp TDI will put out no more than about 178bhp. The GTI has over 20 more and a far superior chassis. Get into the real world will ya.. a Passat is a barge in comparison. 6 seconds my arse!!

Of course there's going to be faster cars out there, it's 'only' a 200bhp hatch but it's a fantastic package and there has been a lot of hype about it and most of it justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I was the passenger in a Golf GTtdi earlier thgis year in the UK. He said it was standard but the thing had phenomenal overtaking power, far more than the older 1.8T I drove !

I know these newer GTI's are faster, maybe 0-60 blah blah but for overtaking I reckon the Tdi's could be faster in gear !

I dunno more than that !

That was the case in the last GTI for sure.

The new one has diesel levels of torque which makes up for it a lot. A mate of mine has a PD150 Golf and we had a little blast not so long ago as I wanted to see if the in gear times for his would take on my yoke and when on the move he was quick but I was still ahead and the higher the speedo went the more I pulled away.

But like I said, there's always going to be faster cars than your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

prospect wrote:
    Mine, Mine, Mine

and now mine :D

(on yellows, that's changed since... and so have the road tax and the insurance :( )

German metal? bah! put it on that shelf next to the Italian one... :p

bmoferrall wrote:

OK. But really most of the credit has to go to a guy named Dev on the Spyderchat (MR2) message board. What I did was this:

1. Pressure wash the dirt off the car.
    2. Wash with Autoglym Shampoo and then dry.
    3. Clay with Meguiar's Quik Clay
    4. Polish with Autoglym SuperResin polish
    5. Put on one coat of Wolfgang Sealant (imported from US).
    6. Wait a day.
    7. Another coat of Wolfgang.
    8. Wait a day.
    8. Two coats of P21s carnauba wax (imported from US but may be available in the UK).

All of that was done at the end of the summer. Since then, I've added two more coats of P21s, one every couple of months and the most recent one on Sunday (when I took the pictures of the car).

The Wolfgang Sealant is the business, by the way. Gives the car a very liquid-y look.

Ernie Ball wrote:
    OK. But really most of the credit has to go to a guy named Dev on the Spyderchat (MR2) message board. What I did was this:

1. Pressure wash the dirt off the car.
    2. Wash with Autoglym Shampoo and then dry.
    3. Clay with Meguiar's Quik Clay
    4. Polish with Autoglym SuperResin polish
    5. Put on one coat of Wolfgang Sealant (imported from US).
    6. Wait a day.
    7. Another coat of Wolfgang.
    8. Wait a day.
    9. Two coats of P21s carnauba wax (imported from US but may be available in the UK).
    Cheers for that.
    That's taking car care to a different level...I thought I was dedicated :)
    ...P21s, one every couple of months
    Do you go through steps 1 to 8 again before doing this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

bmoferrall wrote:

His valeting system is quite extensive, and the results are fantastic. I'll throw my advice in, if you can get Cherry Bomb car shampoo, get it. That stuff is fantastic. And also Car Brite wax and window polish. They're quality also.

Squirrel (ex-valeter)

Squirrel wrote:
    if you can get Cherry Bomb car shampoo, get it.

And it smells bloody great ! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

Conor-Mr2 wrote:
    Ondaflys is an m3 alright. Sat in it. Extremely nice car and lovely grunt. Had an issue with a small oil leak I believe. Is that fixed yet?!!

I love the on board computer.

To be honest though-after I sell my mr2, my heart is set on a TT Supra. Uk Spec preferably as the vrt is a LOT cheaper than the Jap spec equivalent.

have you got any quotes yet? and what age are ya? id be interested to hear cos i got a quote for €1100 on a supra a few months ago, but lost my job soon after so kinda put a spanner in the works.. also have to concentrate on buying a house in 2006 so it might be for my 30th that i get the TT hehe love that car so much!

have you looked into road tax / vrt / car prices yet too? cos id love to hear some quotes.. re-ignight my drive to buy one :)

bmoferrall wrote:
    Cheers for that.
    That's taking car care to a different level...I thought I was dedicated :)

Do you go through steps 1 to 8 again before doing this?

No. Just wash, dry and put on the P21s. Dev (the master) says to keep doing that over the winter and then, in the spring, go through the whole routine again. The Wolfgang is fairly durable stuff and only needs applying every 6 months or so, especially if you've got a coat of wax on top of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

bmoferrall wrote:
    No problem. I'd be happy to give you a closer look, and maybe go for a quick spin.

bmoferrall,

Seen you again today, Around 1ish, Give or take 30 mins, Can't remember exactly what time, Going over the coolmine Railway station, I drove right by you, Well It looked like the same you as before, And the hair Doo groovy ;) But, You need to was it man, I couldnt see my reflection in it today when you drove by, Heh.

Hj

HungryJoey wrote:
    bmoferrall,

Seen you again today, Around 1ish, Give or take 30 mins, Can't remember exactly what time, Going over the coolmine Railway station, I drove right by you, Well It looked like the same you as before,
    Possibly, but I'm not sure. What car you you drive anyway?
    And the hair Doo groovy ;)
    Whaddya mean? mad0177.gif It's a classic pudding-bowl confection :), so doubt it was me tbh.
    But, You need to was it man, I couldnt see my reflection in it today when you drove by, Heh.
    Well, it was washed and polished this morning so it definitely wasn't me :cool:.

Bah, Wooppss... So there is more then 1 of them 156's going around then, Looked exactly like yours, You deffinetly didnt drive over coolmine railway station today, The one going towards Carpenters town ?

I was in my mothers car, A champagne Pearleasent megane Coupe.

Hj

HungryJoey wrote:
    You deffinetly didnt drive over coolmine railway station today, The one going towards Carpenters town ?
    Actually, I did pass through there around 12:30. Did you not say you saw a dirty car though :confused:

Did I look something like this?
    AFRO.jpg
    I swear I only put that on at night :cool:

Yep, Mabe it wasnt dirty, As I said I wized past you on the Blanchardstown side, Just after the junction down to roselawn ( where I live, well near ). All I can remember was it was really shinny, But seriously, Its a dull day and you flew by ;) You had scruffy hair, Is that you ? And I probably am wrong about that as you flew by, Your hair definetly wasn't short anyway :p

Hj

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Hungry, im gettin scared! are you a stalker ;)
    I must take care around those parts - hehe
    :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement