Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

failing by the looks ;) , i might mention it to gordo later about putting a proper bb on there instead of that horrible thingy....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Serenity wrote:
    failing by the looks ;)
    Would you count a horse out before it's even raced? You'll see, this will be the seabiscuit of csc webpages
    Serenity wrote:
    i might mention it to gordo later about putting a proper bb on there instead of that horrible thingy....
    Yeah legend, nice one :)

ApeXaviour wrote:
    Would you count a horse out before it's even raced?
    yeah if it had a broken leg, i'd be pretty confident counting it out...

(also as for csc/ducac stuff the board.ducc.org is probally the busiest that i've seen)

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭sleepingbeauty

im undecided about this presentation. on one hand i think it will be hilarious watching everyone :D on the other hand, i have to do it too :eek: im not bothered about the whole presenting lark, its just wtf are we supposed to choose for a physics topic...just because im a physics student does not mean i know a lot about it!!!!

im undecided about this presentation. on one hand i think it will be hilarious watching everyone :D on the other hand, i have to do it too :eek: im not bothered about the whole presenting lark, its just wtf are we supposed to choose for a physics topic...just because im a physics student does not mean i know a lot about it!!!!

Ah ye be grand.... you could do it on those build it yourself satilities... interesting concept

or
    http://jnaudin.free.fr/lifters/main.htm

on them...that'd be an interesting presentation...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

in the same way you love sitting in a completely grey room for 10 hours with a loud repetitive beep going off and a sprinkler spraying in your face.

Nice analogy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭pseudonym

Ah well, i just dont want to offend anyone by bursting into uncontrollable laughter when I'm told to "find myself" and "explore my horizons" etc. If they do a good job when you go to them with specific questions about specific jobs then I suppose thats fine, but the whole vague, condescending thing does my head in a bit, thats all. Looking forward to Weaires lecture tomorrow.... Repetitive noises and grey rooms sounds like just about any lecture, but I suppose the sprinklers could make it more interesting....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

Would have been useful to have had something like that last year. It'd certainly have helped me not turn into a stuttering mess in front of the important researchy people over here. Excellent, I'll have two stars please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

The Gettysburg powerpoint? i take back anything positive i've ever said about that course - by sitting through that today i have earned my 3.5% of the final mark, and will be presenting my case to the Physics Office to that effect. Using repetition. And with an opening and closing that i'll read aloud to them. Hell, i'll even throw a quick powerpoint together about it.

And when he pretended to be lincoln reading it? wtf!

Then he read the actual Gettysburg address to us as if it was something monumental and awe inspiring and he expected us to cry at the end. WE'RE A PHYSICS CLASS you Yanky Doodle Dandy.. That man loves america too much for my liking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

There should be a thread for us Physicians......

DrIndy wrote:
    There should be a thread for us Physicians......
    Where you would talk to yourself? ;)

Hey welcome back Indy! Hows craic treatin ya? I see you're still resident medical advisor in the Trinity News. Here in spirit if not in corporeal being.
    ARRR

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

Yes I return from my enforced exile of lack of broadband and the blocking of boards by the hospital computer network.

Yes, I have become the honorary in house doctor for TN and am very happy to receive the honor.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

are they paying you well?

I thought Weaire was Lincoln, now Im really confused.

On a happier note - fractals are pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭fade

cuckoo wrote:
    On a happier note - fractals are pretty.

fractaslare fookin class,

for a perfect fractal, the distance between two points is infinite!! think about it...

The 'x factor-esque' presentations today were fun. Kudos to the trend setter with the 10/10 in the voting.

Can't believe Ross O'Carroll-Kelly and one of his mates are in my class - they did the 'physics in TCD' presentation (in rugby shirts) and it was leg. (ledge? sp - the abbreviated form of 'legend'?)

cuckoo wrote:
    The 'x factor-esque' presentations today were fun. Kudos to the trend setter with the 10/10 in the voting.

Can't believe Ross O'Carroll-Kelly and one of his mates are in my class - they did the 'physics in TCD' presentation (in rugby shirts) and it was leg. (ledge? sp - the abbreviated form of 'legend'?)

Yeah, those guys are in TP. I took the Finch picture. The robocop flashing up when they were talking about Lunney made my day. The conversational thing in the Fermat principle worked very well also. If its gonna be marked that easy, it should be class. I take back (some of) my early bitching about this course, twas a laugh today.

Right Easy Company LISTEN UP!

-First and foremost there'll be a non-technical lecture (so everyone can/should come) on Nuclear Weapons and Morality by Dr. E. C. Finch, whom we all know and love. Tomorrow night (tuesday the 15th) at 19:30 in the Schrodinger Theatre. For the non-phys students who want to go, the schrodinger theatre is in the old physics building (between the laser huts and that wee green where the frisbee heads are always galavanting), just go up the stairs to the top and it's infront of you. This lecture is being held by Physoc and as always there will of course be "Refreshments" served afterwards ;)
    This is during science week and promises to be very interesting (I really am looking forward to it) so I hope you'll all support this, even if it's just to see Dr. Finch in action.

-Secondly can anybody say Christmas Part-ay? The Physoc Xmas blast is currently planned for the Village on the tuesday the 6th of December. HOWEVER, we were debating/wondering if we could change the venue to a more eccentric place, like a lab. This was inspired by the insane last day of labs last years JS class had. There was uber-twister, uber-musical-chairs, cake and a whole lot of wine. Anyhow spread the word and WATCH THIS SPACE! Oh Das Glitch will be playing (Dr. Stefan Hutzler's band)

-Thirdly: Every couple of years the "annual" IPSA (Irish Physics Students Association) conference is held. Basically all it is is an elaborate excuse for physics students from around the country to get together and have a piss-up. It involves an interesting lecture or two, a meal in a nice hotel and then a massive piss-up. We (as in trinity) are attempting to host it next term. However we are desperately short on people to help organise it, we don't need that many, like 1 or 2 seriously. So if anybody wants to spread the word around, ask if people are interested in having this go ahead and would like to get involved??? Just contact myself via post here or PM or even better email Claire physoc*at*maths.tcd.ie
    Here's what people have had to say on previous IPSA conferences: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=119682

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

ApeXaviour wrote:
    Oh Das Glitch will be playing (Dr. Stefan Hutzler's band)

That guy is cool!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭xeduCat

Yeah, I saw them a few times, funnily enough the best was at a Physoc Christmas party. Go, giggle, and enjoy.

hmm, the presentations are over now for a while. more fun next term.

Ah the presentations were fun. What was your one on pseudonym?

Right

808.gif

Physics and Maths Christmas Party Tonight!

The Village 21:30, tickets 5euro predrinks in the iams lecture room (behind the main lobby) starting from 19:30. By the way anyone's welcome :)

You can get tickets from me. Here's my ph no up temporarily: (edited) I'll be round college all day.

Stefan Hutzler's band Das Glitch are playing! This is the main reason I'll be attending...

Oh yeah and how are all us JS (excluding tps) set for the open book QM test tomorrow. Oddly enough I think I'm pretty set for it, which is odd for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Oh my god. That animated gif is legend. :D

ApeXaviour wrote:
    Here's my ph no up temporarily: 0863511099 I'll be round college all day.

18750.gif

Dead Ed wrote:
    har har! when did king arthur's missus start givin tests??
    When they were apparently such a success for last years SF. Also since most people averaged about 10% on paper 2.

so not set for that test. me showing up for it will simply be an excercise is 'this is why i need to study'.

oh well, i guess it's better that i have that moment of 'how little i know' shock now rather than in the first exam in may.

• Advertisement

Not at the the xmas party :( Suddenly felt really sick and had to go home

Advertisement