Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

you really need to cut down on the caffine m8

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

you really need to cut down on the caffine m8
    GRRRRRR :mad:

Nah it's hungover regret anger.. Stupid me drinking till 7am. WTF was I thinking.. I'm gonna get no study done now today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

http://www.tcd.ie/CAPSL/academic_practice/index.php?page=pta

It's Provost's Teaching Awards time of year again, and if anyone's interested in nominating a certain slightly eccentric legend of the Physics dept the form can be found at the above link and has to be emailed/sent in by Friday the 20th (ie this Friday).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

cuckoo wrote:
    http://www.tcd.ie/CAPSL/academic_practice/index.php?page=pta

It's Provost's Teaching Awards time of year again, and if anyone's interested in nominating a certain slightly eccentric legend of the Physics dept the form can be found at the above link and has to be emailed/sent in by Friday the 20th (ie this Friday).
    I wanna see that man on coke. Even the drink would push him over the edge and into a gibbering mess of radioactive twitchiness. I'm actually gonna record the next lecture and try to websiteify it as encouragement for kids to do physics. Or not. I'll just laugh at it and try find out what the hell he's jabbering and flapping on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Heh..if it weren't for the fact that I never once had a clue what the hell was going on, physics would have been really fun. You had Finch, who was marvellously enthusiastic and entertaining, you had Cormac McGuinness, who you could visualise with long hair and a guitar screeching out bluesy rock during all those times of "wow I'm so out of my depth here", and of course Ferreira, zee stud eemselff.

• Advertisement

Pretty interesting read :
    13 things that do not make sense

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Pretty interesting read :
    13 things that do not make sense

That WAS pretty interesing all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Thats quite old actually - i read it a fair few months back. excellent read though.

The homeopathy one surely falls under the placebo effect, no? I mean I'm as into alternative mediciney stuff as you can be, but from a scientific POV there's no way homeopathy can actually work..it just isn't possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

from a current scientific point of view - never know what new aspects of atomic structure which may come around at some stage.

• Advertisement

I suppose. I know that almost-homeopathic solutions of pollen given over a 3-month period help reduce symptoms of hayfever in summertime, but..I don't understand how actual homepathy can or could work, on a chemical/biological level, at that factor of dilution..

I really hate statistical thermodynamics. Spending waaay more time on it than any other subject and I still can't answer past questions. I must have a mental block against it, like with programming (oh tg I dont have to do that anymore :D ). It's those damn summation sigma's I think, I HATE THEM. They make me feel stupid..

Cuckoo / sleepingbeauty.. whaddyis think of that new guy Pethica and his new course mechanics of matter? I have to say I'm pretty damn impressed with him so far. I envisioned hating this subject, and he reminds me of somebody I'm not too fond of. Yet... he keeps your attention, breaks everything down for you so you understand it all there on the spot and even puts in the odd joke or funny anecdote. I've actually started looking forward to his lectures.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭sleepingbeauty

I have to say I prob listen in his lectures more than any other (thats really saying something because generally I dont listen full stop). Seems very easy, I keep expecting to walk in there one day and it gets excrutiatingly hard but hasnt happened yet!! Grr astro lecture in 10mins and didnt do the tutorial questions :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 20 booms mcd

got to love wednesdays for getting in at 3 for JS EP. this should be in the woohoo tread though. does ne1 know if Blau has just ****ed off r is there actually a lecture at 4 2day??

booms mcd wrote:
    got to love wednesdays for getting in at 3 for JS EP. this should be in the woohoo tread though. does ne1 know if Blau has just ****ed off r is there actually a lecture at 4 2day??

shame on me for not even making it to the 3pm. double shame on me if there was a 4pm. :(

will be in at 9 tmw, will be in at 9 tmw, will be.....

"To whom it may concern,

The JS 3014 class scheduled for Thursday between 9am – 10am in the Sniam Lecture Room, will now be taking place in the SFI Conference Room (by Lincoln place gate) between 9am – 10am."

Anyone know where the SFI conference room actually is?

cuckoo wrote:
    Anyone know where the SFI conference room actually is?
    Nope, don't care either. Have all the notes from that course anyway. I'll be at the 10pm A&M spectroscopy course however.

If it's by the lincoln gate ask the security guys around there.. Hold on I'll send some texts around and see if anybody knows where it is.

btw cuckoo, there was a double A&M spec lecture from 4-6. though he was sound about it and let us off at 5.30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭pseudonym

ah, you've gotta love nellist and his carefree attitude. or something like that. cracks bad joke. laughs at own joke. leaves microphone on....

pseudonym wrote:
    ah, you've gotta love nellist and his carefree attitude. or something like that. cracks bad joke. laughs at own joke. leaves microphone on....
    He's utterly refreshing for what is otherwise quite an annoying course. Well at least it was quite an annoying course when taught by patterson. (I'm sure you can imagine)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 booms mcd

yo those nellist lectures aren't so bad. pity bout the times. too early or late.

nebody think these mathematica labs are the biggest load of b****x.

• Advertisement

booms mcd wrote:
    Ah mathemathica is great apart from its random crankyness, though labs on it is painfull(to teach anyway)

booms mcd wrote:
    Heheh.. I went up to mauro's office and turns out I get excempted from them! Was gonna repeat them anyway cos I thought I did terribly in them but nope, 2.1 average.. grand!

JS Trinity term timetable is up - no 9am lectures for EP this term - woot.

It's a little messy, lots of the slots are wk 2,4,6. I'll be checking a copy of it daily next term. But, i like the look of it, not too many hours.

JS lab assessments, however, are evil.

cuckoo wrote:
    JS lab assessments, however, are evil.
    Yeah.. seems to depend on barkley/espey/donovan/blau's mood (especially espey, man that guy can be an erratic marker). I have my writeups from last year on my maths webpage (that's not been updated since last summer) if you want them

ApeXaviour wrote:
    Yeah.. seems to depend on barkley/espey/donovan/blau's mood (especially espey, man that guy can be an erratic marker).

word. :mad:

Sure its all physics, how hard could it be?

*hides*

Sure its all physics, how hard could it be?
    Can't remember you exactly bein a fan of lab write ups tbh.

Imagine them just as first year, but times ten. You're averaging 25-30 hours work per lab report. Then a month later, when you've forgotten everything about it, you get ~30 minute interview ON this lab report where they give you a mark. Each mark is worth 4% of the year!

Anyone in third year know the story with this? Didn't he say the lecture course was finished!? Yet on the timetable there're more lectures scheduled for next term...

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭sleepingbeauty

ApeXaviour wrote:
    Anyone in third year know the story with this? Didn't he say the lecture course was finished!? Yet on the timetable there're more lectures scheduled for next term...

yeah im not sure but i reckon its a mistake because those lectures are deffo over.

anyone know what the deal is with problem solving lectures? the sis system timetable says i have a double py3031 on monday afternoon, but physics site says its just for 4th years? whats the craic? please someone tell me sis is wrong!! (they generally are!)

• Advertisement

anyone know what the deal is with problem solving lectures? the sis system timetable says i have a double py3031 on monday afternoon, but physics site says its just for 4th years? whats the craic? please someone tell me sis is wrong!! (they generally are!)
    Hmm.. that's also a curiosity. However we definitely have (or at least had last year) a py3031 lecture course, and we share this with the fourth years. Since it's not on the dept timetable at all then I'd wager that the sis timetable may actually be the one that's right this time. Though I'm hesitant to believe it.

Advertisement