Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**** nas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Makaveli wrote:
    The best underground mc? I seriously doubt 50 Cent would have ever been considered the best underground mc.

Well he was....every single mixtape released was 50 cent basically week in week out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Made you Look,The World is Yours and Nas is Like.Just shows how incredible he can be with decent production.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Illmatic is fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 dubfire

ha ha im in absolute convultions laughing at this thread,anyone who says 50 cent is a better rapper then nas needs there head examined and needs to just stick to there cheasy night club,to tell u the thruth i dont really regard 50 cent as a rapper he ,s more pop music,few catchy tunes.

im not even that mad into nas but i know he,s a legend in the rap game and he with fck 50 up in a battle r antin and that he,s a whole different class to 50 cent,its like saying puff daddy s a better rapper than tupac,there s no comparison. l8r.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭COCK

Illmatic is the best rap album of all time, so dont say **** about nas, for that one album, he was the best lyric writer, rapper, and everything else in the world, and then he fukced up and sold out, so now hes ****

50 is so 5hit its not even funny, hes worse than kanye west

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

Nas only half filled the point and 50 sold it out 3 times, maby some of you lot shoud get past illmatic and move on cause it seems the rest of ireland has. There both good rappers and if you dont like one fine but seriously getting all worked up over 50 being rubbish is really getting old at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭hiphopfanno1

COCK wrote:
    Illmatic is the best rap album of all time, so dont say **** about nas, for that one album, he was the best lyric writer, rapper, and everything else in the world, and then he fukced up and sold out, so now hes ****

50 is so 5hit its not even funny, hes worse than kanye west

Since when is Kanye bad???If you think Kanye is bad then you really are messed up let alone for thinking 50 is a bad rapper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

Seriously, how many times does it have to be said that just because 50 appeals to the masses doesnt mean he's better, yea NaS didnt fill the point but so what, he will still always be better than 50. maybe you should get past the fact that 50 makes more money and listen to the lyrics in songs.
    COCK wrote:
    llmatic is the best rap album of all time, so dont say **** about nas, for that one album, he was the best lyric writer, rapper, and everything else in the world, and then he fukced up and sold out, so now hes ****

as for that, have you ever listened to Stillmatic, Gods Son or The Lost Tapes?

ubu wrote:
    he will still always be better than 50. maybe you should get past the fact that 50 makes more money and listen to the lyrics in songs

If you think nas is better than 50 then thats your opinion. Whats nas done thats so much better than 50. I personally dont really like illmatic as ive already stated I think hes done much better albums. I like 50's early stuff and his first album. Has nothing to do with money I and allot of people just like him as an artist and thats our opinion which is just as valid as yours but you dont see us going around slaging off what you like just because were not into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Nas has lasted in a fickle industry for 11 years, something I don't honestly see 50 Cent doing. When 50 Cent has been around that long and has released a few more albums then maybe there will be more grounds for comparison.
    As things stand there is no point comparing the two.

• Advertisement

50 isnt new hes been around since 1999 with how to rob. In that "short" 6 year period he has managed to become the biggest name bar none in rap right now and developed a record label thats actually releasing albums that sell and signing people that fans want to hear and hes creating a movement on par with death row and bad boy and things like that dont just disapear (well not unless he gets shot or something).

Yes nas has been around longer and its a good thing that he has been able to keep up with trends but all he does is keep himself going, he has tried and failed to get a label going and any artists like jungle and the bravehearts he has tried to push have failed big time. People give nas all this mad respect like he invented rap himself rather than he released a hot album but no matter who else he is compared to its always nas made illmatic bla bla bla.

The past is the past if you want to compare the present then personally I think nas and 50 are not at their best I havnt bought either of their last albums due to the fact that I downloaded them and found them both to be pretty bad. The albums before that 50's get rich was by far better than gods son and before that nas did stillmatic which was a great album and way better than the indi album 50 released but again thats then and this is now and right now nas is rubbish and as far as rapping is concerned so is 50.

What has starting succesful labels got to do with rapping ability? Nothing, so why bring something irrelevant up. We are not discussing what they have done in rap as a whole rather what they have released.
    But as for your comment about things like that not just disappearing. Nobody cares about Death Row or Bad Boy anymore, they aren't relevant to the present in terms of album releases.
    50 Cent is a lyrically poor rapper. His delivery is poor and his lyrics are poor. Had it not been for Eminem do you really think he would be this big world wide? No, more than likely not, so he has ridden the backs of others fame to get his name known outside of the underground scene.
    Nas hasn't needed any of that. He's done it himself, with help from some great producers, but he didn't need someone like Eminem. His lyrical content destroys 50 Cent's. His flow and delivery are far better. At least you can understand him, 50 mumbles his words (shot in the mouth yeah so what, when your profession is music you need to be able to understand the words they say).

Also, God's Son and Get Rich are not the same type of album. Get Rich is appealing to clubs where as God's Son isn't a club album. 50 Cent makes pop songs that sell well, Nas makes the songs that he wants to and obviously the club songs appeal less to him. Just because 50 is played more doesn't make him a better artist.

Nas is not rubbish now. He is mediocre. I'm not his biggest fan, I like three or four of his albums, but I still think he's a great lyricist. 50 Cent is mediocre at best. His G-Unit/Aftremath albums are not good. He is rubbish, maybe he should focus less on record labels and more on his own music.

SD was hardly 'bad',it should have been a 12 track album,while some of the beats were boring.But Nas' ability on the mic is strong and obvious throughout the album.Ultimately Nas has had his slump and came back with stillmatic,lets see whether 50 lasts in the industry so long.

Besides on rap ability,we all know that there is no comparison.50 tends to have the better beats but that doesn't make him a better rapper then Nas.Hell look at Outta Control-a past it Mobb Deep humiliated the in prime 50.

Death row and bad boy are very relevent allot of artists who are still big today started with them labels or moved to them and became bigger. Gunit has the ability to bring mob and mobb deep into the mainstream and make new artists that will be around for a very long time. It has nothing to do with how good a rapper 50 cent is it has to do with how long he lasts in the industry which you said you dont think he will.

Ok I know allot of people outside of the states think 50 only started with get rich but I expect people on this board who claim to be all knowing about rap to know that he was around long before he inked a deal with shady records and regardless of who he signed to his buzz was already massive and he could have released an album with any label and been as big as he is now. 50 cent is self made, when his album came out people knew about him from mixtapes that was it eminem had nothing to do with his initial success. You claim he is riding the coat tails of eminem well the same can be said about eminem with dre but it dosnt make him any less of a credible artist.

Right now nas is not the rapper he was when he released stillmatic his two albums since then have got worse and worse. I am personally a big nas fan but im a critical about him just as I am about any other artist. As an artist 50 is pretty rubbish right now as ive said many times already but right now so is nas and untill he comes out of his slump hes still a rubbish artist who in the past had some good albums.

Anyway typical snobish attitude around here that the majority of us around here have become all too accustomed to.

How is it snobish to think 50 Cent is rubbish?
    Typical defensive attitude around here that to knock a commercially successful rapper means you're being a snob that the majority of us around here have become all too accustomed to.

You were the one that said let's not bring up the past, so how are Death Row and Bad Boy relevant in todays industry with regards to releasing albums? They're not as I said. You are basically saying 50 Cent is only going to last in this industry if he focuses on breaking other artists and promoting his label. My point was Nas has lasted this long as an artist, you appear to have missed my intention.

As for 50 being self made, as I said he is a worldwide success because he signed with Eminem and Dr Dre. Do you think if Jermain Dupri signed him he would be as big as he is now? Doubtful. 50 Cent needed their faces to gain air play etc, I never said he started with Get Rich. I also never said he was in any way less credible because of the contract he signed I just said it's thanks to who he signed with that he is as popular as he is now.

You seem to either be making assumption or putting words in my mouth. I stated the main reason 50 is as big as he is today is because he signed with Shady Records meaning he was connected to Eminem and because Eminem sells records by the bucket load radio/tv/magazines are interested in who he has signed, who they can make money off. That's why 50 is as big as he is worldwide. Do you think little Paddy from the back arse of nowhere knew about 50 before the deal? Doubtful.

So, we have 50 being huge worldwide for this, not for his lyrical ability. Nas however, is known worldwide for his ability. He is self made. That's why their is no comparison between the two. That's why 50 Cent needs to release more albums and needs to be around longer before we can compare properly, and running a label isn't being a rapper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

Yea, there was a big buzz about 50 before he signed to shady, there was a bit of a bidding war going on iirc, anyway how to rob was good, he had hunger back then, now i really dont think he gives a shít how good/bad his music is because he has reached a level where it doesn't matter if it's utter poo or not, it will still sell as long as his name's attached to it, which is a shame, the general commercial rap buying public should be a lot more critical and have higher standards it would encourage some artists to actually put in some effort into their records.

In relation to NaS, Stillmatic was the highlight of his recent albums, but it sets a very high standard, just as illmatic did when it came out, so it was gonna be almost impossible to come out with 2 more albums on the same level as it, saying that he also had a reason to make an album of stillmatics standards with the whole Jay-Z thing going on at the time, so it goes back to the hunger to do your best, but it is very mis-guided of you to say he is a rubbish artist, i think NaS could have done better with SD, i also think he didn't need to make it a double album, but saying that he is still better than any commercial rapper, his track record speaks for itself, any artist would kill to have the back catalogue that NaS has, and i have a feeling his new album should once again do him justice and re-affirm his status as one of the GOAT.

You know, I have only just realised that Chiller started this thread, and he was the one that accussed me of knowing nothing about rap and that I must only like 50 Cent.
    :boggle:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭chiller

sorry but is my opinion and i dont like nas i dont think he is a good rapper sorry

You don't have to apologise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Nas basically invented the style of rapping most popular today.

Jigga stole his flow, and just about everyone from the east coast in the last 10 years stole from jigga or nas' style.

"All I did was give you a style for you to run with" was the most honest line from ether.

• Advertisement

I thought rakim invented it or someone earlier than nas. Anyhow noone really invents these things they just borrow and evolve something already there.

I guess Kane and Rakim were the fathers of rap(although no doubt they got inspiration from others),Nas built upon there style extensively and there can be no doubt that the likes of Mobb Deep,Jigga copied Nas's style to a great amount.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

When Half Time dropped Nas was something like 20(I think) and it (Half Time) was completely Peerless as far as style is concerned, Nas listed Rakim and Kane as influences but his style differs from theirs, that said Nas a guru sound very similar, but then again the've known eachother for something like 25 years, it's bound to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭hiphopfanno1

I don't think Nas is a s*** rapper or anything,because God knows, he certainly isn't s*** but I think S.D was very weak and for those of you who say he isn't pop thats not true I know some eleven year olds who sing his songs. I Can and Bridging the Gap were pop songs and he was in Jlo's pop song 'I'm gonna be alright' the remix. 50 is pop sometimes-Candyshop, but he admits it

Orizio wrote:
    I guess Kane and Rakim were the fathers of rap(although no doubt they got inspiration from others),Nas built upon there style extensively and there can be no doubt that the likes of Mobb Deep,Jigga copied Nas's style to a great amount.

How so, i dont think mobb deep sound anything like nas at all and their style is in no way simular. Compare mobb deeps first albums and nas's there totally different. Jigga is also fairly different from nas I dont see how he coppied his style either but id have to say mobb deep are nothing like nas in anyway.

Kristok wrote:
    How so, i dont think mobb deep sound anything like nas at all and their style is in no way simular. Compare mobb deeps first albums and nas's there totally different. Jigga is also fairly different from nas I dont see how he coppied his style either but id have to say mobb deep are nothing like nas in anyway.

Prodution wise no doubt,but lyrically and technically?Mobb Deep and Jigga(who admittedly changed somewhat over the years) used the same literate thug/street poet style that Nas pioneered on Illmatic.

Production wise mobb deep do their own if nas sounds like them its because havoc did production for nas. On his first album production by primo, pete rock et all was so different from the erie production on the first modd beep album. Lyrically nas and mobb deep talk about totally different things. I dont think nas ever tried to be a thug he talked about what happened but mobb deep talk about how they are thugs. Id personally look at it like early nas was like a reporter telling a story and mobb deep are people bragging about how they did things. Neither where the first to talk about the street they both went at it from different angles. Technically nas is a hands down better rapper prodigy on his best day cant hold a light to nas but he has his own style that again is totally different to anything nas does and havoc well hes not worth mentioning, excellent producer not so good rapper. I just dont see how if you compare both The Infamous and Illmatic you can say mobb deep got any inspiration from nas they just sound totally different in every way. Well to me anyway.

Jigga I can maby see where your coming from his first album was excellent and perhaps inspired by what nas did but id say more akin to what big did. Hes sorta a combination of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

50, IMO, is absolutly rubbish, right along with Jay-Z, Ja Rule, some of Snoops stuff, Puffy, Kayne West, R Kelly and most of those other RnB rappers. The all copy the same stuff, there lyrics are always about the same things. The only way they shift there god-awful music is by appealing to the lowest common denominator, sex appeal, guarenteed to get the girls going nuts and rushing to buy there albums. The only reason that I would actualy watch there music videos is for the girls, it is the only good thing on them.

Would it kill them to come up with some decent, origional themes for there music without having to resort to sex to shift there songs off the shelves. Eminem has always had mostly decent origional music and his earlier albums were the best. I have not heard of anything by NaS, but 2Pac was an excellent rapper, and he was by far the best out there.

As people have said, commercial success is not a measure of talent.

You haven't heard anything by Nas but then claim 2pac was by far the best out there. What leads you to believe Nas isn't better than 2pac?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

2Pac was by far the best out of all the ones that I heard. And in my opinion he was one of the best rappers before he was shot. That said, I dont want to say weither or not NaS was better until I here some of his music, particularly the songs of his mentioned on these boards.

Advertisement