Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best live bands?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 michael_collins

i'll admit that the pixies were great at the phoenix park last year, but who's got what to say about r.h.c.p and queen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

I'monna go with Interpol, of those I've seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭odhran

unfortunately i've seen neither, but arcade fire and sleater kinney have to be near the top of the list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 snowqueen

snow patrol are brill live

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

the futureheads were pretty fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

chilli peppers are great live,seen them about 10 years in the point,going to the oasis gig in december hopefully thats a cracking gig too

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Teller

Muse
    Stereophonics
    Chilli Peppers
    The Pixies
    Snow Patrol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭the real ramon

I'd have to add to the pixies vote, plus Sleater-Kinney - saw them in Dublin recently, best gig in a long time for me. SFA do a good show- lots of theatrics! PJ Harvey is excellent too- amazing voice live

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

Teller wrote:
    Muse
    I agree there, ive seen a good few of their gigs although only being at one (Dublin Castle a few years back)... great showmanship

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Sleater-Kinney very great...as much as it may be critsised.. the distillers was mt fav gig, i thought they were brilliant live

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Rhyme wrote:
    I agree there, ive seen a good few of their gigs although only being at one (Dublin Castle a few years back)... great showmanship

Good to hear you enjoyed it, even though it was their worst gig that I've seen so far (sound problems, not their fault!). Check them out next time they come, ridiculously good live band, their lights shows when they play indoors (a la the Olympia) are just awe-inspiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Godspeed you Black Emperor (Ambassador - 2002)
    Sigur Ros (Ambassador - 2002)
    Weezer (at the point -2005)
    Sonic Youth (Olympia 1999 or 2000 -such a bad memory!)
    Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (Olympia - 2000)
    Redneck Manifesto (Roisin Dubh - multiple shows from 2004 onwards)
    Jayzuz that's a good list of bands. Haven't seen any of them unfortunitly :(

From what I have seen I'd pick :

Radiohead at the Point.
    And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead at the the Rock Cafe in Prague.. great band but I have to admit the venue probably made it. Really tiny place; love that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Guns'n'Roses, um, F. M. Einheit and Caspar Brotzmann in The Shelter really sticks in my mind. Actually, Chris Corsano and Paul Flaherty in Lazybird a few months ago was an incredible show. American Analog Set in the Sugar Club was sweet.

Next month, I get to see Battles, Blonde Redhead, Hella, various Krautrockers, Les Savy Fav in England, and Sunn o))) in Noo Yoik! So I'll get back to ya.

.|..|

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

The Frames
    Muse
    Green Day
    The Prodigy
    Dire Straits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Sweetness!

odhran wrote:
    unfortunately i've seen neither, but arcade fire and sleater kinney have to be near the top of the list
    I envy you so much for seeing Arcade Fire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭odhran

i envy everyone who has seen arcade fire and sleater kinney. both played in ireland recently and i missed both! none of my friends like alternative music so no one would come with me to the electric picnic. as for the sleater kinney gig, i only found out about it the day it was on. I presumed that all the tickets were sold out at that stage...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

DadaKopf wrote:
    Guns'n'Roses, um, F. M. Einheit and Caspar Brotzmann in The Shelter really sticks in my mind. Actually, Chris Corsano and Paul Flaherty in Lazybird a few months ago was an incredible show. American Analog Set in the Sugar Club was sweet.

Next month, I get to see Battles, Blonde Redhead, Hella, various Krautrockers, Les Savy Fav in England, and Sunn o))) in Noo Yoik! So I'll get back to ya.

.|..|

What was Einheit and Brotzmann like? Seriously cool stuff on CD by them. Did Einheit do electronic stuff or does he still use loads of scrap metal?

And that Sunn O))) one, is that the Winter Solstice show?

John2 wrote:
    What was Einheit and Brotzmann like? Seriously cool stuff on CD by them. Did Einheit do electronic stuff or does he still use loads of scrap metal?

And that Sunn O))) one, is that the Winter Solstice show?
    Dunno when the Solstice is. The Sunn o))) gig is on the 21st December.

The Einheit and Brotzmann gig was amazing. Pansonic and Bruce Gilbert played, too. Yup, Einheit was playing a giant spring, miced up, with a rubber hammer and chisel. Brotzmann was playing amazing noise/feedback on his Strat. Sublime.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Green Day (twice)
    Red Hot Chili Peppers (thrice)
    U2 (twice)

- the three best bands i've seen live! Saw the RHCP once a year for three years straight - and really played the same setlist for all 3. Won't be going to see them again til i see some new material!

Also honourable mentions for QOTSA, Feeder, Foo Fighters and Jamiroquai.

DadaKopf wrote:

The Einheit and Brotzmann gig was amazing. Pansonic and Bruce Gilbert played, too. Yup, Einheit was playing a giant spring, miced up, with a rubber hammer and chisel. Brotzmann was playing amazing noise/feedback on his Strat. Sublime.
    Update: I'm now totally gutted to find you that Yo La Tengo is playing some place called Maxwell's in NJ on the 25th to the 31st.

I think I might just have to JetBlue it down there to see them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭arac

Pearl Jam, no need for massive flashy stages or anything, just solid 2 1/2 to 3 hour shows with multiple encores with an ever changing set list, no boring set routine with maybe one or two alterations each night like most bands, PJ's set list is changed every night
    Love them have seen them three times and they are amazing, such an electrifying show..red mosquito aint a bad song either:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭brian crackout

Have to say the weezer gig in the point last august was unbelievable. even if you werent a fan you would have dug it - everything a rock show should have been.
    Jimmy eat world last march in the olympia was pretty damn good too.

my other favourite live bands ive seen would be Tool & S.O.A.D. in Punchestown 2002

Metallica in '99

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

DadaKopf wrote:

I'm sorry I missed Einheit :(

And yes indeed that Sunn O))) gig is on the winter solstice. I'm sure they've something good planned being good pagans and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Sweetness!

odhran wrote:
    i envy everyone who has seen arcade fire and sleater kinney. both played in ireland recently and i missed both! none of my friends like alternative music so no one would come with me to the electric picnic. as for the sleater kinney gig, i only found out about it the day it was on. I presumed that all the tickets were sold out at that stage...
    Oh misread your post well I know how you feel about not getting to see Arcade Fire, next time they play I'm gonna be first in line to get tickets!

Advertisement