Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best live bands?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Radiohead, unbelieveable show in The Point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭technobob

the kills
    super furries are always great live
    kings of leon
    interpol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Closing Doors

I second whoever said Damien Rice, the man is a genius. He never plays the same show twice...by virtue of the fact he never uses setlists, he just plays whatever the f*ck he feels like or whatever the crowd requests. Incredible :cool:

Stereophonics put on a great show in the Point last month, and Rodrigo y Gabriela definately deserve a mention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Pitseleh

Giblet wrote:
    Radiohead, unbelieveable show in The Point.

Are you talking about the first or second night last December (I think)? I was there the first night, didn't think it was partickly exceptional.
    Sorchie wrote:
    Green Day and the kaiser chiefs are supposed to be deadly live

Green Day are pretty good live alright - especially at the Ambassador last year, they played a lot of their older stuff. They engage the crowd quite a bit. Can't say I'm a fan of the Kaiser Chiefs though so I can't really comment on them live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Muse - I love the over the topness

Interpol - theres just something about their shows

Placebo - HAve seen them 6 times now and they are amazing, great stage presence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Did I say The Point? I meant the Olympia!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭elephamt king

where have you seen placebo?
    im prayning that theyll come here with the new album.
    also
    amen
    misfits
    iron maiden
    green day
    and the pixies rocked my socks to the max.
    would literaly die (dramatically then get back up and queue for tickets) if the pumpkins started going again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Best artists / bands ive seen live:
    Weezer (what a show, short but mind blowing)
    Ben Folds (genius. His shows bring crowd interactivity to a new level. Not the Same Live is possibly the most magical moment ive ever experienced)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 *sweetpea*

Interpol-without a doubt the best band I've seen live (and I've seen a good few!) Saw them twice and the only word I can use to describe the gigs is 'wow'-an experience! (+ the OLE OLE OLE chant by the crowd at oxegen was funny!) ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

where have you seen placebo?
    im prayning that theyll come here with the new album.

Saw them at the S.F.X., Slane, Olympia x2, Oxygen and Wembley :D .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭treefingers

*sweetpea* wrote:
    Interpol-without a doubt the best band I've seen live (and I've seen a good few!) Saw them twice and the only word I can use to describe the gigs is 'wow'-an experience! (+ the OLE OLE OLE chant by the crowd at oxegen was funny!) ;)

ive seen them twice too and i felt they were a bit of a let down both times. (i'm a big fan). the olympia gig in particular was pretty good, but definately no where near "best live band ever" territory.

for me british sea power were by far and away the best live band i have seen. if you think interpol live is "an experience," then you haven't seen BSP! interpol just play their songs as they appear on record while standing as still as possible. hardly what i'd call an experience. :D

the flaming lips, radiohead, and sigur ros close seconds...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I've seen Muse three times, entertaining but nowhere even in my top 20 or even 30 live bands. Stand out performances for me:

Einstuerzende Neubauten - I've seen them six times now, best was in Berlin for a fan club show, they put contact mics all over the building and used it as a giant percussion instrument!

The Flaming Lips - Just an amazing feelgood experience. Dancing animals and suns, bubbles, balloons, blood, videos and great tunes. Hard to top really.

Tool - :D:D:D:D:D

Kraftwerk - Four men with laptops. More stage presence than most guitar bands that throw themselves around the stage.

Tindersticks - Beautiful songs played beautifully by some not very beautiful looking men.

Also worthy mentions to The Dirty Three, A Silver Mt Zion, PJ Harvey, LCD Soundsystem, The Jimmy Cake, Low, SunnO))), Opeth, Damien Rice (bar hearing the same stories over and over again), Wolf Eyes and Sigur Rós.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Winter Slide

the shins are amazing live. but the best gig I've ever been to was the Boss and the E Street Band at the RDS a couple of years ago. An incredible gig

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I've seen Muse at Witnness, Dublin Castle, The Olympia and Randalls Island, NYC, and there is no comparison. They are just incredible.

In terms of Irish music, Berkeley put the competition to shame. Sensational band, amazing music, and tight as fcuk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Tiddlywinks

Devendra Banhart
    Interpol
    The Magic Numbers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

David Bowie
    radiohead
    arcade fire

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Spicy Lauren

Massive Attack in the Point 2 years ago
    Mudhoney in the Village a few weeks back

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

Kaiser Chiefs - Bringin' the cowbell back to Rock and Roll!!!! About effing time someone did!!!!

REM - Amazing energy. Michael Stipe must be on drugs, or insane, or both.

Moby - Great show. Stageful of weirdos playing every bizarre instrument known to man.

Foo Fighters - Brilliant live. Plus Dave Groehl is funny dude.

Green Day - Were great back in the dookie days. Have not seen them recently.

Beastie Boys - Lots of energy - don't take themselves too seriously.

David Bowie - Amazing show. Funny dude as well - which I did not expect.

Two bands I would never have gone to see if they weren't at Live 8 - Black Eyed Peas and Will Smith.
    Will Smith had amazing, infectious energy - really got the crowd pumping. Though he did have home field advantage in Philly.
    Black eyed peas were great - Fergie is hot as hell. Kanye West was actually damn good too.

Keane - Only went because my wife likes them, but they were great live, even though it was raining throughout the show.

They Might be Giants - very entertaining.

Sinead O'Connor - Gets a mention for her voice. I always assumed the studio had a lot to do with it, but no. Her body must be about 90% lungs.

A few thumbs down:

Flaming Lips - someone else gave them the thumbs up, but they sucked at the show I was at.

Smashing Pumpkins - Depressing as hell. Though in fairness I saw them a few months after Kurt Cobain killed himself - at a festival that Nirvana were originally supposed to headine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭COCK

Prodigy - saw them state side in a club meant for like 700 bbut with like 1000 in it, everyone was thrash dancing, greatest experience of my life.

Interpol are good and so are mars volta ambulance ltd are good too

Worst live band ever is the bravery, a bane on music they are

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭flynnduism

id have to go with radiohead @ the point

runners up:

arcade fire @ EP
    interpol @ oxegen/olympia
    devendra banhart @ the village

and you will know us by the trail of dead, mars volta, qotsa!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Babyshambles on recent performances have been the best live band I've seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Punchbowl

Mogwai

Kraftwerk

U2 ( They are though )

Nada Surf

Pernice Brothers

Lcd Soundsystem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Some brilliant live performances I've seen are:

Godspeed you Black Emperor (Ambassador - 2002)
    Sigur Ros (Ambassador - 2002)
    Weezer (at the point -2005)
    Sonic Youth (Olympia 1999 or 2000 -such a bad memory!)
    Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (Olympia - 2000)
    Redneck Manifesto (Roisin Dubh - multiple shows from 2004 onwards)

but the best live gig I've been at was:

Smog (Roisin Dubh - 2001)
    He was brilliant this year too but nothing has yet beaten the jaw dropping brilliance of his 2001 show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Gandhi wrote:

REM - Amazing energy. Michael Stipe must be on drugs, or insane, or both.

Yeah REM are a great live band.

Also the Pixies were great the times I've seen them.
    Doves put on a very good show.
    Interpol were excellent at Oxegen.
    And even though I'm not a huge fan, Ian Brown in the Foundry in Carlow was one of the best gigs I've ever been at.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Babyshambles on recent performances have been the best live band I've seen.
    that's if he turns up of course :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Mad Capsule markets are brill live, reel big fish are great, nada surf, tho years a go were good, coldplay were crap, horrid show, and alothough i HATE oasis, they are very very good live

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

The La's when they played The Olympia in Cork for the Bud Rising Festival, they're so good when they get it right but so terrible when they're drunk. (As they were in Sheperds Bush in London in June)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

R.E.M. best live band ever, Michael Stipe is so insane on stage he's jsut running and jumping and woking with the crowd the whole time.

Maiden were good, Bruce thingy worked the stage and the crowd really well.

Manson were great theatrical wise but didn't really live up to my expectaions of what you hear of the show being like a big theatre performance yada yada.

Turbonegro were class, the way they worked...

Starsailor.... I fell asleep during them that's how good they are!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 michael_collins

red hot chili peppers rule, metallica suck donkeys, queen blow your mind, even without freddie, brian mays hair is funny:D , iron maiden rock, kaiser chiefs i love them, the who, dont say not around today, did you see live 8, nickelback, led zeppelin, jimmy paige is god, jimmy eat world, nearly dead jim, haven't heard them? go to dublin! i love monkeys! (not a band, just the truth)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

The Pixies are great
    Turbonegro amaze
    Radiohead are stunning
    But...
    Go to a Bruce show!!!

Best live act for the last...30...years, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street band. Consistently great, no pish support acts, just BS and ESB for 3 hours.

Advertisement