Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rappers are racist

Options
  • 21-09-2005 9:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭

Hi guys, I am not trying to start a racist debate or trying to cause trouble. I myself am not racist, cannot see the point, as we are all equal. But:
    Why is it, that in many rappers songs, i.e. Kanye West (I listened to recently) has constant attacks on 'white men'. Or all you hear is 'white girl'. I do not understand the point of why he (and other rappers) have put this in their song?
    heres an example,in the games 300 bars song:
    "take my advice,never wear air max to the gigs,unless u one of the bloods or the latin kings,cause if u left with the ayrans,ur ass will sting"
    Because lets face it, as a white male, if I released a song tommorow, saying black man this & that, I would be the first one to be called racist and probably arrested!

Any other views on this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

I dont think its meant to be taken as literally as you suggest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Yes, it does seem black people can be slightly racist and get away with it. Or at least, get away with it more than a white person would.

It's a funny world...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Dfitzer

I dont think a couple of lyrics can be considered racist when you consider what black people had to and have to go through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Firstly not all emcees are black. Secondly not all of them rhyme about bitches & guns.. Your post is as ignorant as you perceive them.

dlofnep wrote:
    Firstly not all emcees are black. Secondly not all of them rhyme about bitches & guns.. Your post is as ignorant as you perceive them.

FFS he was making a generalisation. You know what he was trying to say.

I seriously doubt the OP was talking about every rapper in the entire world.

He is obviously talking about certain black rappers who say racist comments.

• Advertisement

dlofnep wrote:

You are ignorant you did not read his post properly he said "many rappers" not all rappers and his observation is true many rappers do have this content in their tunes.

Dfitzer wrote:
    I dont think a couple of lyrics can be considered racist when you consider what black people had to and have to go through.

Racism is racism no matter who does it.

Their lyrics don't offend me personally whatsoever, but it is still racism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Yook

Dfitzer wrote:

Thats bull****! It's very racist, they know they full extent of racism, yet some artists still dish it out to white people in their lyrics. Sounds hipocritic to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

It's probably because of the whole slavery and oppression stuff... It's a cultural thing.

Firstly, usually if a black guy is venting through lyrics - He is typically expressing himself on how he's being oppressed. For example, a white cop arrests him for no reason and later on he rhymes about it and mentions that he's white - Is that racist? Not at all. I lived in Michigan, in the ghetto as it were - I know how it is and I'm not as ignorant as alot of you who think that the majority of rappers or emcee's are racist. If you wanted to be specific, you could of just said Kayne West - But you stated many rappers. It's just like me saying "many black men are thieves" or something along that lines. Your post generalizes on a group of individuals.. So you're just as bad.

• Advertisement

dlofnep wrote:
    Firstly, usually if a black guy is venting through lyrics - He is typically expressing himself on how he's being oppressed. For example, a white cop arrests him for no reason and later on he rhymes about it and mentions that he's white - Is that racist? Not at all. I lived in Michigan, in the ghetto as it were - I know how it is and I'm not as ignorant as alot of you who think that the majority of rappers or emcee's are racist. If you wanted to be specific, you could of just said Kayne West - But you stated many rappers. It's just like me saying "many black men are thieves" or something along that lines. Your post generalizes on a group of individuals.. So you're just as bad.

Oh please! It's not ignorance, it's fact!

So in the case where I was arrested for no reason by a black cop, it wouldn't be racist to flame and generalise about black people through song? Ok then. :rolleyes:

Yook wrote:
    Oh please! It's not ignorance, it's fact!

So in the case where I was arrested for no reason by a black cop, it wouldn't be racist to flame and generalise about black people through song? Ok then. :rolleyes:

If white people were a minority and you were arrested for no other reason than being white then sure, I don't see any problems with expressing yourself in a track. You're an ignorant tool - I'll give you that. You have no idea whatsoever what they can go through. When I was in Michigan, me and my two friends were walking down the street - Cops stopped and only pulled the black guy over. It's really bad there. Go over and actually see how it works before you splutter out your stupid sh.it.

Why are you getting angry? Can you not make your points without getting personal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭DJDC

look dlonep u are a twat. dont give us that "i lived in the ghetto" nonsense.u are just being a hypocrite.racism is racism.u cant give justifications like "a white cop arrests him for no reason" for racism.
    also i should have said some not many rappers can be accused of racism.i never said all.many black rappers are/were strong campaigners for racial equality e.g 2pac.
    the thing that amazes me is the fact that 75% of all rap sales in the US are to white people.surely some rap artists would at least keep their views to themselves rather than risk commercial embarrasment

Hey take it easy dlofnep i dont agree with your statements but i dont call them ****

DJDC wrote:
    look dlonep u are a twat. dont give us that "i lived in the ghetto" nonsense.u are just being a hypocrite.racism is racism.u cant give justifications like "a white cop arrests him for no reason" for racism.
    also i should have said some not many rappers can be accused of racism.i never said all.many black rappers are/were strong campaigners for racial equality e.g 2pac.
    the thing that amazes me is the fact that 75% of all rap sales in the US are to white people.surely some rap artists would at least keep their views to themselves rather than risk commercial embarrasment

I'm being a hypocrite because I lived in the ghetto's of Michigan? No, that makes me educated on the issue. As far as record sales goes, that wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that there are more white people than black people there?

Speaking of hypocrites - Don't alot of Irish people sing songs of hate towards the British people?

Dfitzer wrote:
    Hey take it easy dlofnep i dont agree with your statements but i dont call them ****

My apologies, I got caught up in the heat of the moment. however, my statements are based on what I've seen first hand. Point me out anything I've said that's incorrect and I'll be glad to debate with you.

dublindude wrote:
    Why are you getting angry? Can you not make your points without getting personal?

Speaking of hypocrites. Shouldn't you be making a thread about being upset or angry about something?

dlofnep wrote:
    Don't alot of Irish people sing songs of hate towards the British people?

Indeed. Highly ignorant and moronic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Smurfpiss

Yook wrote:

Not quite. The black society in america are fairly suppresed by a white majority in the system, That combined with a cultured antagonism within their circles leads to tensions between the two races. White people being shook down by black cops just isn't a reality compared to the converse. The guys do have something to be pissed off about because they are targeted by the police force. Of course maybe thats beacuse they "roll with gangs" and "pop caps in peoples asses" and so that leads to that.
    Thing is, they turn to crime more than the white society beacuse they're more likely to live in poverty (average black income is about 1/3 that of white).
    and because they're more likely to be criminals they're targeted more by the police force. Just like Muslims are by those looking for terrorists. No sense searching a scotsmans kilt for a bomb, they fit the profile.
    To be honest though it still doesn't mean they have the right to mouth off against whites, but they do have reason to. Anybody who runs in a gang and brags about it is an a*sehole in my opinion though...

• Advertisement

Is there anyone here who is black that can give an assessment on how they are treated by white people in Ireland? I'd be interested to see how racism is here. From what I've seen, racial slurs are common anywhere I've been.

dlofnep wrote:
    If white people were a minority and you were arrested for no other reason than being white then sure, I don't see any problems with expressing yourself in a track. You're an ignorant tool - I'll give you that. You have no idea whatsoever what they can go through. When I was in Michigan, me and my two friends were walking down the street - Cops stopped and only pulled the black guy over. It's really bad there. Go over and actually see how it works before you splutter out your stupid sh.it.

Hahahahahahahahaaha! My god, I lived in LA for 8 years, i went to public school, i have a lot of friends who are black (white people were a minority in my school, it mainly consisted of Mexicans, Armenians and African Americans). An ignorant tool, how little you know. :rolleyes:

I noticed the lyric included the word, "aryan". Now isn't that racist towards German people, i mean what did they ever do to the African Americans? And yes the word white includes not only American whites, but the rest of the white world. What did I ever do to the rapper writing that lyric? So if I get pulled over by a black cop tomorrow for no reason, (not that it would happen in Ireland) I can talk **** about the African world aswell as freely bashing all American blacks?

Or even, if I was pulled over in Africa (where I'd clearly be a minority), I would be able to flame the Africans and African Americans freely?

How can you not say thats racist?

Yook wrote:
    Or even, if I was pulled over in Africa (where I'd clearly be a minority), I would be able to flame the Africans and African Americans freely?

If they were pulling you over because you were white, then I'd so no reason why you couldn't express yourself about it. If a black guy expresses distain towards a race, you'll notice it's actually cops that they blame - Not your average white guy.

They are not trying to be racist, they are just giving an accoutn of they way they have been treated. If it so happens that it's been all white folk, then that's our problem for treating them unfairly and not theirs.

Anyways, what do you expect out of this thread when it's titled "Rapper's are racist" and then go on to point out that's it's "black rappers" that are racist. Why not give a white person as an example? Eminem has been quoted saying racist slurs against black people. It was all over the source magazine. It's nothing to do with colour or what music people listen to. There are racists in all walks of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Isn't there a rap forum?

And you all better edit out the personal abuse in your posts or you will all be banned.

dlofnep wrote:
    Is there anyone here who is black that can give an assessment on how they are treated by white people in Ireland? I'd be interested to see how racism is here. From what I've seen, racial slurs are common anywhere I've been.

My best friend is from Kenya. She has recently left Ireland but we used to spend a lot of time together. I can only think of one occassion where someone shouted "******" at her (from a car, how brave.)

If anything, she was treated EXTRA GOOD because she was black. For example, in her job she got away with murder. The white folk got away with nothing.

Whenever we went to a niteclub together, no matter what I was wearing (a tracksuit once while going to Lillies) the bouncers would not refuse us.

Her "being black" was hilarious (for us) because we could get away with all kinds of things one shouldn't get away with...

Ireland is a very very politically correct (OTT) country.

dublindude wrote:
    My best friend is from Kenya. She has recently left Ireland but we used to spend a lot of time together. I can only think of one occassion where someone shouted "******" at her (from a car, how brave.)

If anything, she was treated EXTRA GOOD because she was black. For example, in her job she got away with murder. The white folk got away with nothing.

Whenever we went to a niteclub together, no matter what I was wearing (a tracksuit once while going to Lillies) the bouncers would not refuse us.

Her "being black" was hilarious (for us) because we could get away with all kinds of things one shouldn't get away with...

Ireland is a very very politically correct (OTT) country.

Well, that's a great story. I'm sure it doesn't reflect every black person in Ireland however, but glad to see she got on fine.

dlofnep wrote:
    If they were pulling you over because you were white, then I'd so no reason why you couldn't express yourself about it. If a black guy expresses distain towards a race, you'll notice it's actually cops that they blame - Not your average white guy.

So aryan is another word for white cops? :rolleyes:
    They are not trying to be racist, they are just giving an accoutn of they way they have been treated. If it so happens that it's been all white folk, then that's our problem for treating them unfairly and not theirs.

What the hell are you talking about? How have I treated black people unfairly? They're my friends!
    Anyways, what do you expect out of this thread when it's titled "Rapper's are racist" and then go on to point out that's it's "black rappers" that are racist. Why not give a white person as an example? Eminem has been quoted saying racist slurs against black people. It was all over the source magazine. It's nothing to do with colour or what music people listen to. There are racists in all walks of life.

I'm not saying Eminem isn't racist, but he hasn't said anything to offend me. I've done nothing wrong, yet the OP's quote is pointing out all white people. I find that very offensive.

Yook wrote:
    So aryan is another word for white cops? :rolleyes:

You're missing the point. The point is that there are racists from all walks of life. The generalize "rappers" as racist a bit silly and ignorant tbh.
    Yook wrote:
    What the hell are you talking about? How have I treated black people unfairly? They're my friends!

Never said they weren't your friends nor did I say you treated them unfairly.

I'm not saying Eminem isn't racist, but he hasn't said anything to offend me. I've done nothing wrong, yet the OP's quote is pointing out all white people. I find that very offensive.

Once again, the point isn't who's racist and who isn't. The point is that you shouldn't generalise rappers as racists. With this thread titled as "Rappers are racist", it clearly defines that. Sure a handful might be racist, sure a few nuns might be racist.. Sure Tinky Winky might be racist. That's not the point - The point is, a group of people shouldn't be stereotyped.. You can't go off and say Germans are nazis or Rappers are racist. A bit of common courtesy.

On that note, I'm off to bed. I'll leave you all to your little rant about black rappers. G'night.

• Advertisement

that's our problem for treating them unfairly and not theirs.

Can you not see it, i clearly quoted it! When have I treated black people unfairly?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement