Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom ADSL enabled exchanges

Options
  • 16-09-2005 9:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭

The list on the sticky looks a bit old. Is it possible to get an updated list?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Sure, I'd be happy to sticky any list you can find :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Where did the current list come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

eircom had a list of enabled exchanges in their newspaper ads once and a user here (gombin) posted up enabled exchanges as they went along

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Local newspapers can be very good for finding out the latest info on enabled exchanges. My own local paper this week has a list of all the enabled exchanges in Cavan, Monaghan, Meath and Louth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

very few new ones enabled , old list still valid

• Advertisement

Out of the 39 DSL enabled places in Louth, Meath, Longford, Westmeath, Cavan and Monaghan, 14 are not on the list here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The Comwreck map from NOVEMBER 2004 , is thatnot substantially accurate even now ?

http://www.comwreck.com/blog_31_nov2.html

To be honest, there is actually a fair few more circles on the map eircom have than in the area on the IOFFL map, e.g there are overlapping circles and Longford has 5 places where it had 1. I expect though that the reality is eircom have started expanding mainly in the north-east (thanks to Net1 and digiweb?) as one place I know was upgraded only a couple of weeks after the amber programme was announced.

Blaster, the current list came from a combination of press resleases, Gombin, and user input.

TBC, rather than tell us that the list is inaccurate, would it not be of more benefit to tell us how it is inaccurate, so that we can correct it?

parasite, let us know if you come across one such ad.. so that we can compare.

SB, yeah I would hat thought that not a lot has been done since Nov '04, but if what TBC is telling us is true, then maybe it has change a bit since.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Out of the 39 DSL enabled places in Louth, Meath, Longford, Westmeath, Cavan and Monaghan, 14 are not on the list here.

Can you list all 39 here To_be_confirmed? Thanks.

• Advertisement

I never said it was inaccurate.

Also, I have been looking for the upgrade plan for March 2006 as I remember a user scanning the ad and uploading it here. I guess this is what you meant parasite?

If anyone wants, I can post the names of the new places. As I suggested, the upgrading done may be restricted to the north-east so far.

Sorry Damien, the reply page did not have your post there. My Bad.

Anyway, here they are:
    Co. Louth - Carlingford, Omeath, Ravensdale, Dunleer.
    Co. Meath - Athboy, Duleek
    Co. Longford - Drumlish, Granard, Edgeworthstown, Ballinalee
    Co. Westmeath - Moate, Bliary, Rochfortbridge
    Co. Cavan - Shercock, Stradone,
    Co. Monaghan - Clones

Another Typo - There are another 16 enabled, not 14.

I've added those exchanges (although I can't verify them at the moment), ta.

Moot point, but for something that advertises itself as a complete list to be incomplete, to me, would suggest an inaccuracy.

Fire anymore this way, and I'll gladly update the list for the benefit of all.

Ta
    .cg

Can any data that's part of the schools survey be used for this? My thinking: if we already have a bunch of phone numbers tested all over the country (assuming we have pass, enabled but failed, not enabled, per tested line) and we can map those numbers to exchanges, we could derive a fairly completely list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

cgarvey wrote:
    Fire anymore this way, and I'll gladly update the list for the benefit of all.

The only exchange I can think of thats not on the list is the Kill one in Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

Blaster99 wrote:
    Can any data that's part of the schools survey be used for this? My thinking: if we already have a bunch of phone numbers tested all over the country (assuming we have pass, enabled but failed, not enabled, per tested line) and we can map those numbers to exchanges, we could derive a fairly completely list.

Where are you going to get that data from?

Only thing I can see on the eircom line checker is pass/fail

Arabel wrote:
    The only exchange I can think of thats not on the list is the Kill one in Kildare.
    Done, ta.

Here's some more:

Co. Kildare - Monasterevan, Prosperous, Sallins, Donadea, Rathangan.
    Co. Wicklow - Baltinglass, Rathdrum, Aughrim, Avoca, Tinahely.
    Co. Laois - Kilminchy, Mountrath, Abbeyleix.
    Co. Offaly - Banagher.
    Co. Kilkenny - Castlecomer, Thomastown.

Cool, ta TBC .. list updated.

.cg

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

Eircom have a Flash-based interactive map showing enabled exchanges here:

http://mmm.eircom.ie/maps/default.asp

Using this, I wrote a little Perl script to query the same database and produce what should hopefully be a definitive list. Offered here for your delight, along with the current list of enabled exchanges.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Aughrim, Avoca, Tinahely.

Are you sure, this places are tiny and in the arse end of nowhere. Are they enabled or due for enabling?

Now see.. that sort of stuff makes the world turn 'round a whole pile better :) .. Ta Tenshot.. ta muchly.

.cg

Bond-007 wrote:
    Are you sure, this places are tiny and in the arse end of nowhere. Are they enabled or due for enabling?
    I checked the phone number of the Woodenbridge Hotel in the centre of Avoca and it passes. So, the Avoca exchange at least is definitely DSL-enabled.

My uncle is on the same exchange, but a few miles out; unfortunately, his line is still showing a fail...

Outstanding work!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Kudos guys.

Yeah the eircom app was the place where I got the second group of counties. The new ones are not sorted in alphabetical order so they are usually at the bottom. I checked them all against the list anyway. That zip file would have been handy allright. Thanks for that Tenshot.

Edit: the eircom ad had 3 exchanges in a box under the heading "newly enabled". The bottom two are not yet on the list or eircom.ie for that matter and they are Omeath and Rochfortbridge. On netsource.ie there are no test dates for any lines from omeath (0429375xxx) but Rochfortbridge has passes and fails so this should be added (It's in Co. Westmeath).

I would like to track the Eircom roll-out month by month. If you want to give me the Perl script I can do this, or if you want to do it yourself, you can of course. I think it would be useful to post up the new exchanges as they happen, like Gombin used to do.

One other thing: Could someone find the list of exchanges that are due to be enabled by march 2006? This would also be useful and we could then see what has been done and what is left to do. A search of boards and google revealed nothing so far...

Blaster99 wrote:
    I would like to track the Eircom roll-out month by month. If you want to give me the Perl script I can do this, or if you want to do it yourself, you can of course. I think it would be useful to post up the new exchanges as they happen, like Gombin used to do.
    I agree. I don't have time to do it regularly, but I did post the Perl script I used in the original message so that some enterprising individual like yourself could take up the gauntlet :-)

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Mervue in Mayo? Doesn't sound right...

Advertisement