Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom ADSL enabled exchanges

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Morgoth

One other thing: Could someone find the list of exchanges that are due to be enabled by march 2006? This would also be useful and we could then see what has been done and what is left to do. A search of boards and google revealed nothing so far...

I found it in the archives and re-uploaded it here.

I typed this list out and then cross-referenced it against the full list in cgarvey's thread. Using both Excel formulae and visual inspection (some spellings differed slightly), I can say with fair certainty that the following 25 exchanges from the March 2006 to-do list of 182 exchanges have been upgraded, assuming eircom's exchange checker is fully up-to-date.

The upgraded exchanges are:

Abbeyleix
    Ardrahan
    Aughrim
    Avoca
    Ballinalee
    Ballydehob
    Ballyglunin
    Ballyspillane
    Baltinglass
    Bliary
    Carlingford
    Dingle (Daingean on the other list :rolleyes: )
    Donadea
    Drimoleague
    Drumlish
    Edgeworthstown
    Mountbellew
    Riverstown
    Rosscarbery
    Sixmilebridge
    Stradone
    Straffan (Straffen on the other list, I assume it's the same place)
    Strokestown
    Tamney
    Tinahely

The list of exchanges on the March 2006 to-do list is:

Abbeydorney
    Abbeyleix
    Achill Sound
    Aclare
    Adare
    Annagary
    Ardara
    Ardfert
    Ardrahan
    Arvagh
    Askeaton
    Aughrim
    Avoca
    Ballinagh
    Ballinalee
    Ballinhassig
    Ballinspittle
    Ballintra
    Ballivor
    Ballyboghil
    Ballycarney
    Ballyconnell
    Ballycullane
    Ballydehob
    Ballyfarnan
    Ballygarret
    Ballyglunin
    Ballyhaunis
    Ballyheige
    Ballymacelligott
    Ballymote
    Ballyragget
    Ballyspillane
    Ballyvary
    Baltinglass
    Bansha
    Belturbet
    Bennettsbridge
    Berrings
    Bliary
    Borris
    Bridgend
    Brittas
    Brittas Bay
    Broadford
    Bruff
    Bunclody
    Buttevant
    Cahirciveen
    Callan
    Campile
    Carlingford
    Carnew
    Carrick
    Carrignavar
    Carrofin
    Castlebellingham
    Castleconnell
    Castledermot
    Castlefin
    Castlelyons
    Castleshane
    Claregalway
    Clarina
    Cleariestown
    Clogheen
    Clontibret
    Coachford
    Collon
    Collooney
    Costello
    Crookstown
    Crossmolina
    Curragh Camp
    Daingean
    Delvin
    Donadea
    Doon
    Drimoleague
    Dromahair
    Drumlish
    Drumshanbo
    Duncannon
    Dunfanaghy
    Dunkineely
    Dunleer
    Durrus
    Easky
    Edgeworthstown
    Elphin
    Falcarragh
    Ferbane
    Foxford
    Foynes
    Geashill
    Glassan
    Glennamaddy
    Glenties
    Grenagh
    Holycross
    Inch
    Inver
    Inveran
    Jenkinstown
    Johnstown
    Kilbeggan
    Kilbrittain
    Kilcarn
    Killala
    Killaloe
    Killann
    Killavullen
    Killeagh
    Killenaule
    Killerisk
    Kilmacthomas
    Kilmallock
    Kilmeaden
    Kilminchy
    Kingscourt
    Kinnegad
    Knock
    Knockcroghery
    Lisdoonvarna
    Lismore
    Littleton
    Manorhamilton
    Milford
    Millstreet
    Mooncoin
    Mountbellew
    Mountrath
    Moville
    Moycullen
    Mullagh
    Newmarket-on-fergus
    Newport
    Newtowncunningham
    Oldcastle
    Omeath
    Oulart
    Oylgate
    Pallas Grean
    Passage East
    Pedlar's Cross
    Portlaw
    Portumna
    Ramelton
    Ravensdale
    Riverstick
    Riverstown
    Riverstown
    Rochfortbridge
    Rooskey
    Rosscarbery
    Rosslare
    Scarriff
    Scotstown
    Shanagolden
    Shinrone
    Sixmilebridge
    Smithborough
    Spiddal
    St. Lawrence
    Stradbally
    Stradone
    Straffen
    Strandhill
    Strandhill
    Strokestown
    Tallow
    Tamney
    Tara
    Tarbert
    Teeranea
    Tinahely
    Tobercurry
    Tomhaggard
    Virginia
    Watergrasshill
    Waterville
    Wellington Bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

oscarBravo wrote:
    Mervue in Mayo? Doesn't sound right...
    There are a number of exchanges in one county that serve an ajoining county. I assume that's why they appear in multiple counties. I don't know if it's correct, but that is my assumption.

.cg

...while some of them are simply duplicated, e.g. Midleton and Middleton in Cork.

Morgoth wrote:
    ...while some of them are simply duplicated, e.g. Midleton and Middleton in Cork.
    Thanks for the updates on and off thread, most of which I've fixed.

As for the newly upgraded ones.. what do I do?! Add them one by one, uncofirmed by eircom, or just wait for the eircom list to update? The latter is better, but it involves constant feedback (no one person has the time to constantly review this). The former means it's going to be correct up to a point in the past (I don't know how far the map lags behind reality).

.cg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Tenshot wrote:
    I agree. I don't have time to do it regularly, but I did post the Perl script I used in the original message so that some enterprising individual like yourself could take up the gauntlet :-)

Thank you, sir. I'm not all that familiar with Perl so if I have any issues, I'll pester you.

There's at least one mistake in your list of not enabled exchanges. Avoca in Co Wicklow is enabled.

• Advertisement

cgarvey wrote:
    Thanks for the updates on and off thread, most of which I've fixed.

As for the newly upgraded ones.. what do I do?! Add them one by one, uncofirmed by eircom, or just wait for the eircom list to update? The latter is better, but it involves constant feedback (no one person has the time to constantly review this). The former means it's going to be correct up to a point in the past (I don't know how far the map lags behind reality).

.cg

I will constantly track the list using the perl script and I will inform you and everyone else of updates as I find them. If people have faster information on live exchanges, we can surely just add them as we find out? It's not as if Eircom rolls out 50 new exchanges a month or anything. It's going to be a small steady trickle.

In fact, even better, give me access to that exchange list and I'll make sure it's spot on myself. No need to have a whole bunch of people involved in this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

AH for ****s sake! It says on that list that Borris is on the to do March 2006 list. Digiweb site told me my line would be suitable in a matter of weeks, yeah, 26 of them by the sound of it.

Laguna: That list was announced around March/April this year. So in approximately half the time until the deadline, they've upgraded less than 1/7th of the exchanges.

I wouldn't bet on the March 2006 deadline for your exchange. ;) Though of course you might get lucky, Digiweb site might be correct...

I''ve modified Tenshots script to spit out vBulletin code, so it's no hassle for me (other than to remove the dupes) to keep it up to date (besides I can't give you access to the thread anyway). The issue is more with the newer exchanges that come on line (TBC has already given us an example). How do we verify new exchanges? He verified 1 of 3 by using a line checker, but how about the other 2!

.cg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Morgoth wrote:
    I can say with fair certainty that the following 25 exchanges from the March 2006 to-do list of 182 exchanges have been upgraded, assuming eircom's exchange checker is fully up-to-date.

<snip>

The press release at the time said that 20 exchanges were to be announced in addition to the 182 so that would be 25 out of 202 or 12.5% done in the 6 months since the announcement .

The program has basically ground to a halt . Last years smaller enablement program resulted in regular announcements , particularly in Sep-Nov about 5 a week . This years program will require that 170 exchanges are announced in the next 28 week, thats 6 exchanges every week from now on .

Interestingly, Morgoth, DSL sales in Eircom geta list of exchanges to be done in every quarter and only 25 or so are slated for release in the Oct-Dec quarter meaning that 150 will have to be announced in Q1 2006 or else the whole lot will slip out to God knows when .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

If all exchange lines are not tested yet and therefore orders cannot be placed on them, e.g. Omeath in the north-east of Louth then obviously its not available at this time.

Sorry if I wasn't clearer Cathal but there are 2 out of 3 on the newly-enabled list which have pass and fail results for them. The Rochfortbridge exchange has numbers tested on 2nd of September and even though it's not available on the map I guess that orders can be placed by phone at least.

The point is that there is going to be a delay of up to 2 weeks or more before they reach eircom.ie and there is nothing that can be done except for:
    - Insider information
    - Local Newspaper/radio ads
    - Someone testing a number by chance sees a result (using netsource)
    - Ringing eircom perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭JohnC.

This thread has led me to the triggers on the eircom site. I notice that my area has 12 registered with a 283 target. I really think a large problem is that people really don't know that there is even a trigger level, never mind that they can "vote." The only reason I knew is from this forum. They could do with advertising the fact.

I'd like to know exactly what kind of area is involved with the whole "enabling towns with over 1500 people" thing. According to the census, my local area has over 3000 people, although it is fairly rural. But the actual town and immediate area served by my local exchange I would have thought would have enough. It would be interesting if we could see things broken down by how many are covered by each exchange instead of just trying to figure things out from the census which isn't the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Kahless wrote:
    This thread has led me to the triggers on the eircom site. I notice that my area has 12 registered with a 283 target. I really think a large problem is that people really don't know that there is even a trigger level, never mind that they can "vote." The only reason I knew is from this forum. They could do with advertising the fact.

I'd like to know exactly what kind of area is involved with the whole "enabling towns with over 1500 people" thing. According to the census, my local area has over 3000 people, although it is fairly rural. But the actual town and immediate area served by my local exchange I would have thought would have enough. It would be interesting if we could see things broken down by how many are covered by each exchange instead of just trying to figure things out from the census which isn't the same.

Could you post the url to the trigger page???

I know a couple of people who would like to show their interest in getting their exchange enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

The DSL trigger scheme is PR bollox. Watch the number grow and then die off again. Do a search on the eircomtribunal or comwreck website. There are towns with 400 households and eircom set a trigger level of 600 account holders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Damien's right, don't bother with the sham that is the trigger scheme.

I'll tell it how it is

Eircom do not give a **** about rural Ireland and the availability of Broadband, they are a private company and will continue to serve (and offer more and more products to) the holy trinity of Dublin, Cork & Galway..

I'd be surprised and delighted if someone could prove me wrong here.

triggers are cack, i know of an exchange with 7 registrations and a level of 400 that was enabled anyway.

whether your exchange is enabled depends on town size over 1500 OR if there is fibre nearby like say Ardrahan in Galway.

pop 600 , 2 pubs and a primary school at a crossroads is the size of it and no trigger level set because it was too small.

Yet Ardrahan has DSL already go to http://dsltrigger.eircom.ie/ and enter 091635001 or any number begining 091635 to see what I mean.

its on a main road with fibre so it got done

• Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I'm fairly sure there was fibre laid by the train track which is merely one field away from me. More insult to injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

hmm this is interesting.. i checked imagine and rochfortbridge (my own) is down as enabled. However all of the online checks fail me. I called BT and they say i fail too.. suggested calling eircom and getting them to check it properly... i doubt they will.
    Anyone know any more about rochfortbridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Just to add an exchange. Borris, Co Carlow was enabled about 2 months ago.

Just a point. The population of Borris is roughly 450. Yet my town, 5 miles from borris, has roughly pop 1,300, and is not even on the list for upgrade.
    Dodgy Dial-up is our ONLY option here, and don't Eircom just bloody know it !! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Saruman wrote:
    hmm this is interesting.. i checked imagine and rochfortbridge (my own) is down as enabled. However all of the online checks fail me. I called BT and they say i fail too.. suggested calling eircom and getting them to check it properly... i doubt they will.
    Anyone know any more about rochfortbridge?
    Your line is probably too bad to pass. Try removing and extensions and wait 1 month for a line test.

I would hope not. Im the first person to register the line. Previous owners did not. House itself was built in 99 i think. Well i would hope its not a ****ty line anyway. I think i can wait till March, or more likely April to get it.

whats your dial up speed saruman ???

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Morgoth wrote:

Ballintra
    I can confirm that this exchange is enabled. Not long though, so records may not be updated.

hey cool. was bored waiting for client today so went on to eircom and my line passed today... so i went on to BT and it passed there too so i signed up :D
    Rochfortbridge seems to be online now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

How can you check out which exchange you are connected to??

use the smart line checker which will name an exchange against a number

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

Sponge Bob wrote:
    use the smart line checker which will name an exchange against a number

Thanks SB. Do you know if it is possible to be switched from one exchange to another one which is physically closer?

What is the current max distance from an exchange over which ADSL will operate in peoples experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

In a city with lots of "tie lines" etc between cabinets it may just be possible to be connected to a different exchange, in suburbs, rural, nearly impossible.

About 5km. Depends on line quality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

watty wrote:
    In a city with lots of "tie lines" etc between cabinets it may just be possible to be connected to a different exchange, in suburbs, rural, nearly impossible.

About 5km. Depends on line quality

Technically it is 5km but it is usually far less somewhere around 3km in practice.

Advertisement