Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Log Cabin

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Victor wrote:
    They all look like garden sheds.

The section through the eaves looks woefully under-insulated unless its strictly for summer use only.

My sentiments also, I'm afraid.

I found out during the week, that a work friend of mine, has a brother who bought one. his opinion was that the inner walls were extremely flexible, and he also commented on its garden shed appearence.

There is also another thread that has a link from a similar company , as far as I can recollect. I suppose there is a market here for them, but I personally would choose diferently.

But if your happy shorty, we'll gladly toast your new nest.;)

kadman:)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

What section through the eaves? I can't find any drawings on the site that give any sectional drawings. And, although their design might not be to traditional Irish taste (a good thing if you ask me :) ), I'd hardly describe them as garden sheds (except the ones on the site that are just garden cabins or saunas).

This is a section from the site,

www.scanhome.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You're right, but I'm not sure that what that diagram is showing, and what shortys94 is getting (weekendhouse.com) are one and the same thing. The typical Finnish/Swedish log-cabins aren't simply built on a stud wall like that, they're built up of massive interlocking machined logs. There was one featured on "Grand Designs" on C4 a while ago which looked pretty solid to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

kadman wrote:
    This is a section from the site,

www.scanhome.ie

I have a Scanhome, and I'm interested in knowing what issues you have with the section you attached.
    It is not a log cabin, so is different to what this thread is about.

Got to say, that I've never heard anyone mention a garden shed appearance about my house.

I know of 6 Scanhome that have been built by friends,visitors,family after seeing my house, and others who would, if they were building again or if planning allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

il take a pic and post it up when its finished

Mothman wrote:
    I have a Scanhome, and I'm interested in knowing what issues you have with the section you attached.
    It is not a log cabin, so is different to what this thread is about.

Got to say, that I've never heard anyone mention a garden shed appearance about my house.

I know of 6 Scanhome that have been built by friends,visitors,family after seeing my house, and others who would, if they were building again or if planning allowed.

Hi Mothman,

I dont have any issues with a Scanhome. The fact that they have 3x2 for internal studwork. And have an exterior stud, sheeted with timber, is reminiscent of garden shed construction, that is my opinion. This type of construction is cleated at the joints, and around the windows, with rough timber nailed on , in my experience. Although I cannot say that the houses I have seen are Scanhome. This for me , does not instill good finishing and construction techniques.

But I'm open to contradiction, and conversion. So post some close up pics of your house, and convince me that they are top spec.

In fairness you are correct that this is not a log cabin construction, and maybe I have confused the issue, by posting a different type of spec. GUILTY :o:o

But even solid machined log construction, unless tastefully, and expertly done , still gives me the impression of a New England cladded timberframe stud when stained, although they have stood the test of time, being around for a couple of hundred years. But then again they were of American construction, and they have hundreds of years experience in timber frame building. Where as we have about 30 years of bad tf construction habits.

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

shortys94 wrote:
    are you referring to weekend house cabins, well the one i just got is a two storey and it hardly looks like a shed:P
    I'm complaining about this detail, and I wonder if it complies with building regulations.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=3385005&postcount=13

I suspect that the design of these buildings is for them to be used as summer only accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Victor wrote:
    I'm complaining about this detail, and I wonder if it complies with building regulations.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=3385005&postcount=13

I suspect that the design of these buildings is for them to be used as summer only accommodation.
    Is your post referring to the drawing I sent in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

kadman wrote:
    I dont have any issues with a Scanhome. And have an exterior stud, sheeted with timber, is reminiscent of garden shed construction, that is my opinion.

As with many things, what is ones man's junk is another man's treasure ;) although it's clear to me that we are thinking of different things when we mention garden sheds.
    But then again they were of American construction, and they have hundreds of years experience in timber frame building. .
    Scanhome (Scandinavian Homes) are swedish, and I'd have thought the Swedish are every bit as experienced, if not more so than the Americans.
    Where as we have about 30 years of bad tf construction habits
    This was why we decided to go with Scanhomes because when we approached some Irish timberframe constructors, looking for timberclad, we were looked at as if we had 2 heads :( As for some of the other spec, that we wanted, such as heat recovery/ventilation and triple glazing, again all we came across was blank faces and a look of what medication were we on.
    The fact that they have 3x2 for internal studwork. This type of construction is cleated at the joints, and around the windows, with rough timber nailed on , in my experience. Although I cannot say that the houses I have seen are Scanhome. This for me , does not instill good finishing and construction techniques.
    Interior spec, is entrely up to the customer. I put in 4x2 studs myelf. The quality of the Swedish timber is excellent, compared to what is available in my local hardwares. The Swedish rough is like the planed here and is a joy to work with, except when handsawing a lot. (It's so much more dense). As for the construction technique you describe, you're starting to loose me, but I think my home is as you describe. In practice it seems fine, and the look was the appeal of it. (Refer to my first sentence)
    But I'm open to contradiction, and conversion. So post some close up pics of your house, and convince me that they are top spec.

I'm not interested in converting anyone. I originally replied as you posted a section drawing of a Scanhome house. You do a lot of informative posts here, and I wrongly assumed that you posted the section drawing because you had some issues with it.
    What was important to me was to get a home that is cheap to run, looked well (to me), has a healthy and comfortable interior environment, fitted well into a rural landscape, last well beyond me! and didn't cost the earth(in more ways than one). I suspect this is not what you are refering to as "top spec", but it is what is important to me.

Cheers

And to anyone wanting to read about log cabins, sorry for diverging off topic, although many have mistakenly thought that my home is one.

• Advertisement

So long as you are hapy with your house, enuf said. So I dont intend to pick through your post, and annoy.

My point basically being , that some constructions are described as log cabins. And i suppose thats a relative term, basically to what you would consider a log to be .I imagine that most would expect a log to be a substantial piece of timeber to constuct their house from.

In reality what is sometimes sold as a log cabin here is nothing more than an exterior wall constructed from horizintal 3x2's. I would not consider that to be worthy of the description Log cabin.

Lex Luthor wrote:
    Is your post referring to the drawing I sent in?
    Yes, I think that detail is insufficient.

its a nice house

I suppose the health and safety executive would be interested in your innovative approach to scaffold,

YOU CHEAPSKATE:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

kadman:p

wow the finnish are good workers, they work on sunday, and there still working at 6 o clock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭JimmySmith

looks nice. how much is that costing you?

100,000 for house (transport inc, labour inc etc) and i think that includes hardcore and base for house etc(done by local contractor)

its very cheap, and sorry i dont know the actual costs as its my dad who is organising it. There supposedly great for heat too, right now theyre outside doing the other side of the roof, i will upload another pic when finished roof is done

shortys94 wrote:
    100,000 for house (transport inc, labour inc etc) and i think that includes hardcore and base for house etc(done by local contractor)

its very cheap, and sorry i dont know the actual costs as its my dad who is organising it. There supposedly great for heat too, right now theyre outside doing the other side of the roof, i will upload another pic when finished roof is done
    What do you plan on using it for primarily?

grandma, shes using it, only one person

shortys94 wrote:
    grandma, shes using it, only one person
    sq footage? bedrooms? did you need pp?

• Advertisement

shortys94 wrote:
    Ah, yes. Cheap on the blood of injured and killed workers.

Realise that you could go to jail for this.

kadman wrote:
    I suppose the health and safety executive would be interested in your innovative approach to scaffold,

YOU CHEAPSKATE:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

kadman:p
    ya, I wouldn't be advertising the pic with the guy on the roof without the scaffold or being at least tied off....

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

I can't believe there are actually guys out there that are willing to work in those kind of conditions anymore.

A disgrace really, considering it gives genuine contractors a bad name.

I'm not convinced €100,000 is "cheap" considering the apparent small living space. You can probably only use the balcony and decking one or two months a year. What sq Ft is the living space?

mmmmm, sorry but these guys are being paid about 10000 for this job, or 8000, and the pic u saw is not the conditions they were in all the time, that was just laying down the first section so they could put down proper scaffolding, sorry should of taken a later pic:)

its 60 sq mt i think, its for only 1 person!!!!!!! and the insulations great, we went for this size and its one person:):)

shortys94 wrote:
    mmmmm, sorry but these guys are being paid about 10000 for this job, or 8000, and the pic u saw is not the conditions they were in all the time, that was just laying down the first section so they could put down proper scaffolding, sorry should of taken a later pic:)

its 60 sq mt i think, its for only 1 person!!!!!!! and the insulations great, we went for this size and its one person:):)
    just make sure they keep within the guidelines for site safety...you are liable & responsible for it seeing as its your build.

p.s. the house looks great on the website. Best of luck with it. I'm still having contractual issues with my builder over one clause he put in that I'm trying to get removed before I sign.

yea, actually the size is a bit more with the veranda/deck included, i think its over 60 not sure well around 60 sq metres

they do these jobs all the time and build grip holds on the roof for there boots and so on, they put safety first, thats what they do before finishing up in a night for prepapration for the next

shortys94 wrote:
    mmmmm, sorry but these guys are being paid about 10000 for this job, or 8000, and the pic u saw is not the conditions they were in all the time, QUOTE]

No, its just the conditions they were working in, before they fell and broke their leg, and sued your arse off for not supplying safe conditions to work in.
    Your public liability insurance will tell you to p...s of because you failed to provide necessary safe conditions of work as required by legislation. The injured worker will then sue you in civil suit because of his injuries, because you have no valid insurance cover. He will then own your house , your barn, your dogs , and your horses...;) ;)

All for the sake of a bit of scaffold.

kadman

shortys94 wrote:

What do you get for your €100k?

Kitchen?
    Electric supply...how is that being provided?
    Sewage?
    Plumbing?
    Do you have to fit out the bathroom and kitchen extra?
    What about finish inside?
    Just curious as I'd like to compare like for like with the place in Cavan for what I'm getting for 180k.

House, hardcore, cement, plumbing for toilets etc, labour.
    And then extra

but if you consider that the delivery of this house took a few days, and it will be built in a week or two more, then i think thats great, as its so quick, and the heat and structure is great.

This includes balcny, and decking too, and believe me theres a lot of decking

• Advertisement

shortys94 wrote:
    House, hardcore, cement, plumbing for toilets etc, labour.
    And then extra

but if you consider that the delivery of this house took a few days, and it will be built in a week or two more, then i think thats great, as its so quick, and the heat and structure is great.

This includes balcny, and decking too, and believe me theres a lot of decking
    so do you have to fit out the kitchen, bathrooms on top of the 100k?

It does seem to be on the expensive side then. The one I'm going for has a total rebuild cost, including foundation, fully fitted kitchen, heating system, alarm, electrics, water, sewage, fireproofing on the walls & floor (basically Turnkey). fully fitted bathroom, 78m2 internal with 35m2 external decking for about 88k.

All these cabins will take only a few weeks to build anyway.

Advertisement