Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 20 Most Overrated Movies of All Time?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

2001 does everything right...

apart from the fact that it doesnt have a story

and in the words of hitchcock the three most important things in a movie are story, story and story... and i agree

so IMHO... I agree 2001 is the most overrated movie of all time... but i'm thick :D

I think you mighta missed the story man, go back an watch it again

ok it has a story... but about 20 minutes worth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Quinnsey

2001 was never meant to be a story, it was meant to a cinematic journey. Hence the posters advertising it as "The Ultimate Trip".

Pfff... If you want a story, go buy a novel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

American Beauty was a great film!!! one of my favourites

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

the title says "OVERRATED"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Le Rack wrote:
    The Blair Witch Project.

I dont care it's the greatest load of bollix ever made what a fcuking waste!
    Why would you bother! Why!
    I want that how ever many minutes of my life back!

What's the deal with it anyway? Was it based in truth or was it a bunch of kids wanting to make a low budget horror flick?

I was lucky enough to have seen this @ a film festival in cork before it got famous, it was shown in small room and it was shown on a reel to reel projector, a guy introduced the film and explained that it was actual footage taken by these people on the reels, they even changed the reels at the right points. it scared the **** out of me. Great idea that was lost when it got famous.

Quinnsey wrote:
    2001 was never meant to be a story, it was meant to a cinematic journey. Hence the posters advertising it as "The Ultimate Trip".

Pfff... If you want a story, go buy a novel.

ok... i will... but just because its a "cinematic journey", it doesn't mean it's a journey i'm keen on taking... i dont consider staring at a black monolith for 20 minutes very good scenery...

2001 is like prog rock... it loves itself too much

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭CrazyTalk

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
    Napoleon Dynamite- So boring, I couldn't even watch it the whole way through, I was actually feeling sleepy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭bagdaddy

I would pull Good Will Hunting and American Beauty out of this list as i think they were both amazing movies. I would then insert Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs onto the list. These Films are pure style with sweet FA substance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bounty

lord of the rings are all hypedup childish nonsense

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

What's wrong with Shawshank Redemption?
    Too many scenes and situations blatently copied from earlier prison films. Otherwise it would be a classic.

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon - what's all the fuss about, lots better films in that genere , it's just the first one that Hollywood seem to have found.

Pulp Fiction - non-chronological impressed people that much ?

Blair Witch - another reason to despise all those involved in the marketing profession.

Citizen Kane - but I suspect that's just because all the effects / devices have become so commonplace that they aren't as special as they must have been the first time they were seen.

Titanic - factually inaccurate, all that money on sets and special effects you'd have thought they could have afforded a decent script , just watch "a night to remember" instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

I was lucky enough to have seen this @ a film festival in cork before it got famous, it was shown in small room and it was shown on a reel to reel projector, a guy introduced the film and explained that it was actual footage taken by these people on the reels, they even changed the reels at the right points. it scared the **** out of me. Great idea that was lost when it got famous.
    sounds quite cool actually but it didn't answer my question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭NoDayBut2Day

I would have added "Lord of the Rings" to that list... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭UnrealQueen

A Beautiful Mind is NOT over-rated, unlike Monster's Ball. Now that was a crap film especially for a film that won awards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭The Troll

Le Rack wrote:
    The Blair Witch Project.

I dont care it's the greatest load of bollix ever made what a fcuking waste!
    Why would you bother! Why!
    I want that how ever many minutes of my life back!

What's the deal with it anyway? Was it based in truth or was it a bunch of kids wanting to make a low budget horror flick?

Agreed. Absolute muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Fight Club :confused: mediocre....AT BEST!

:v:
    CC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Neo# wrote:
    I thought Good Will Hunting was excellent. Great script with strong acting. Matt Damon and Robin Williams were incredible. Even Ben Affleck didnt suck.

well maybe we just didnt have time to fully develop a hatred for him!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

by now well developed though!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I always thought the Godfather was overrated... That's just me though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

- 2001: A Space Odyssey
    - American Beauty
    - Easy Rider
    - Field of Dreams
    - Forrest Gump

above are all good films the rest can fill pacmans belly :v: .......... never to be seen again!!

i always thought titanic was over rated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭NoDayBut2Day

Thought of another one... "Cast Away." Boring movie, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Red Kooga

Who said Shawshank and Fight Club?! Are yous sniffing glue? :D

Both would be in my all time top 5 but everyone to their own and all that. Overrated would be the absolute tosh that was The English Patient, its well known the makers "bought" their oscars that year by throwing millions at the campaign to get votes.

The Godfather never really done it for me but Part II was a masterpiece, I just cant sit see the charm and acclaim of the first - a rare case of a sequel been better.

The Matrix would be another - its watchable enough but whats all the fuss about?! :confused:

Speaking of lists, Godfather and The MAtrix - Empire have been doing their usual Top 100 list thing again - here's the full 100

1 The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
    2 Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
    3 The Shawshank Redemption
    4 The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
    5 Fight Club
    6 Back to the Future
    7 Pulp Fiction
    8 The Matrix
    9 Star Wars: A New Hope
    10 The Godfather
    11 Jaws
    12 Aliens
    13 Raiders of the Lost Ark
    14 Goodfellas
    15 The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
    16 The Usual Suspects
    17 One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
    18 The Godfather: Part 2
    19 Donnie Darko
    20 The Big Lebowski
    21 Alien
    22 Blade Runner
    23 Se7en
    24 Twelve Angry Men
    25 Evil Dead 2
    26 Reservoir Dogs
    27 Apocalypse Now
    28 The Good The Bad and The Ugly
    29 Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    30 Amelie
    31 Leon
    32 Taxi Driver
    33 Magnolia
    34 Casablanca
    35 Memento
    36 It's A Wonderful Life
    37 American Beauty
    38 Star Wars: Return of the Jedi
    39 Schindler's List
    40 Once Upon a Time in the West
    41 Ghostbusters
    42 Terminator 2: Judgement Day
    43 Lost in Translation
    44 Fargo
    45 Dr Strangelove
    46 Die Hard
    47 2001: A Space Odyssey
    48 Jurrasic Park
    49 City of God
    50 Lawrence of Arabia
    51 The Terminator
    52 The Princess Bride
    53 Stand By Me
    54 Seven Samurai
    55 Vertigo
    56 Heat
    57 Ed Wood
    58 LA Confidential
    59 Trainspotting
    60 This is Spinal Tap
    61 Some Like It Hot
    62 The Thing
    63 Almost Famous
    64 Edward Scissorhands
    65 Citizen Kane
    66 The Lion King
    67 A Clockwork Orange
    68 Shaun of the Dead
    69 Moulin Rouge
    70 Spirited Away
    71 Monty Python and the Holy Grail
    72 E.T. - The Extra-Terrestrial
    73 Kill Bill Volume 1
    74 Monty Python's Life of Brian
    75 The Nightmare Before Christmas
    76 The Third Man
    77 Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
    78 Singing in the Rain
    79 American History X
    80 Saving Private Ryan
    81 Dawn of the Dead (1978)
    82 Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
    83 Grosse Pointe Blank
    84 Halloween
    85 True Romance
    86 Withnail and I
    87 Groundhog Day
    88 Brazil
    89 The Exorcist
    90 Toy Story
    91 Platoon
    92 North By Northwest
    93 Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
    94 Close Encounters of the Third Kind
    95 Requiem for a Dream
    96 The Shining
    97 Amadeus
    98 Raging Bull
    99 Rear Window
    100 Psycho

And the Top 10 in more detail:

10. The Godfather – Dir: Francis Ford Coppola, 1972

It's said imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and The Godfather deserves every impression, spoof, homage and rip off that's been made. There's not many actors who could stuff their cheeks with cotton wool without making a fool of themselves, Brando not only avoided ridicule but created one of the most iconic characters in the history of cinema. Add Pacino, Caan, Cazale, Duvall, Keaton, Hayden and more all at the top of their game, it's like if Carlsberg did casting…

Copolla never put a foot wrong here, and he had to fight for almost everything including Brando, Pacino and his own job. He had a lot of help though, for example Gordon Willis' master class in cinematography and editor Peter Zinner who came up with the idea to cross cut the ending.

Its legacy is obvious in every gangster movie since, you couldn't make one now with its influence removed. The reason only a handful haven't fallen so flat is because The Godfather didn't just introduce new ideas to the genre, it (along with Part 2) presented them fully formed, an end product that perfected Coppola's vision so well even he couldn't follow them up with anything worthwhile.

Copolla emphasised the themes he was interested in for the screenplay, like family, corruption, guilt and betrayal. He then wrapped it all as a metaphor for America, another immigrant culture that inevitably curdles people as they try to climb to the top of the heap. The family home is the American dream, representative of what Vito wanted his family to be. It's the only stable thing in the film, everything else is in chaos. Food and the dinner table are obviously very important to Coppola as well, sometimes strangely (why are there always oranges around when somebody's about to get bumped?).
    The major triumph here is that The Godfather is the perfect film. It's critically adored, frequenting even the most serious lists, but it was also an epic blockbuster breaking box office records. No other film has ever managed to match it for both commercial and artistic worth.
    Contributor – Lebowski

9. Star Wars – Dir: George Lucas, 1977

"A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away…” So begins the opening of George Lucas' masterpiece, Star Wars. Written in homage to the Flash Gordon serials of his youth, Star Wars is a masterful combination of 30's swashbucklers, war movies, and Akira Kurusawa's historic Japanese epics. Despite this, Star Wars retains an identity and energy all of its own.

At a time when the science-fiction and fantasy genres were in decline, the young bearded Californian kicked it into a new gear. Creating memorable and exciting characters by tapping into mythical archetypes, Lucas created a new mythology for the youth of 1970's America and Europe, influencing the next generation of film makers and audiences.

Originally written as part of a larger saga, the film later known as "Episode IV: A New Hope” was initially a major risk for both studio and director. An unknown cast in an unpopular fantasy film confused most executives. With impressive special effects required, many of the type never before seen, Lucas was forced to set up Industrial Light and Magic, effectively creating the modern visual effects industry.

Given that Star Wars was such an unexpected hit at the time, it's perhaps ironic that Lucas is blamed for the safe, no-risk focus-group Hollywood of today. If Star Wars can be blamed for anything, it is for creating a Hollywood where anything is possible.
    Contributor – Mikey C

8. The Matrix – Dir: Andy & Larry Wachowski, 1999

So, what is the Matrix? Following one of the most successful advertising campaigns of recent memory, I bet George Lucas wished he knew. Not even registering as a blip on Skywalker ranch's radar, Laurence Fishburne's asking of the titular question, transposed over a back-flipping Keanu Reeves dodging out of the way of a speeding subway train, announced the arrival of the sleeper hit to end all sleeper hits. The wind from The Phantom Menace's sails permanently expired and cyber geeks Larry and Andy Wachowski ruled the day with a mesmerising concoction of intelligent science-fiction, high octane kung-fu and action scenes that were, quite literally, out of this world.

The numerous teaser trailers, for once, did not let the film down. The intrigue remained. An opening chase sequence keeps everything mysterious. Who are these "agents”? How the **** did Trinity do that? The further the audience tumbles down the rabbit hole with Neo (Reeves), the more you begin to gauge that something more than the average action-flick is unfolding before your eyes. The intelligent script delights in constantly surprising the audience – the shock factor upon the revelation of what the Matrix actually is, is masterful. Philosophical connotations on what chicken actually tastes like, amusing within its thoughtfulness. Both Fishburne as the dreamlike guide, Morpheous, and Hugo Weaving as Agent Smith delight in delivering tantalising dialogue on the ways and workings of the Matrix, as a continually bemused Neo attempts to realise his potential. And realise that potential he does. Whilst the build-up of characterisation and plot is purposely slow, the intrigue continually winds up until the pivotal moment where the film just lets go. The magnificent dojo fight gives an early taste of what is to come, but little prepares you for the final forty-five minutes of exhilarating and adrenaline pumping action you're ever likely to see. The moment Neo asks for "guns, lots of guns” the film goes into spectacular overdrive. One amazing set-piece after another, each beautifully and adoringly composed, climaxing in an exquisitely paced race against time… woah!

The Matrix is the perfect combination of style and substance. Alluringly cool, with the bullet-time technology being the ace up the Wachowski's sleeve, yet thoughtfully developed so that the action merges seamlessly with the intelligent script. Indeed, the Oracle sequence is probably the best scene of the entire film. Say what you like about the sequels, nothing has matched The Matrix in its technical capacity, its artistry or its originality since. The final masterpiece of the twentieth century….
    Contributor – Clownies Lawyer

In 1999 sci-fi and action movies were to change forever thanks to the two brothers with crazy ideas and they go by the name of Andy Wachowski & Larry Wachowski. The Matrix since then has become the benchmark for all sci-fi films to come. Even though 1999 doesn't seem that long time ago, The Matrix has already become one of the most influential movie in cinema history. With more theory's then JFK's assassination case, action that would make John McClane jealous and Special Effects like you've never ever witnessed in your life this movie has already made a huge impact and will be one that many movies will look up to this century as what many did with Citizen Kane in the last.
    Contributor – Neonomics

7. Pulp Fiction – Dir: Quinten Tarantino, 1994

As perfect as a labour of love possibly can be, Pulp Fiction is exquisitely measured. From its title, reminiscent of the kind of novels that graced the seductive poster (Uma Thurman a bed and a cigarette and the tag line ?A Quentin Tarantino Film?) To its setting, world where the everyday events include murder, back stabbing, coffee shop hold ups and brutal rape. To its unbelievable script that crackles and fizzes with charm and wit, yet holds a comfort on repeated viewings, like an old friend you just want to hug and ruffle its hair.

Tarantino began his trend of career resurrections with Travolta, and how does he cast him? As henchman who cant seem to get anything right. He accidentally murders an associate, almost kills his bosses? wife and finally is gunned down by his own weapon just after taking a crap. He even bemoans the fact that his beloved car has been ?keyed? since his return from Amsterdam, its inspired casting.

Pulp Fiction is like a snapshot of an ensemble cast really adding up to the sum of their parts and its easy to forget how all star the cast actually is, such is the strength of the characters and dialogue. Bruce Willis is Butch, Uma Thurman is Mia, Ving Rhames is Marcellus Wallace, one of the most fearsome bad guys never to actually do anything on screen (bar get violated by rednecks and throw threats around in his menacing drawl) and Samuel L Jackson officially earned the ?coolest man in the world? tag as Jules, one he has been trying to trade on for the past ten years with varying success.

Released when fractured timelines weren?t just a gimmick, Pulp Fiction demands repeated viewings, two or three to work out exactly what the hell is going on. A couple more to saviour its pure brilliance and wit, thirdly when you think you know everything about Pulp Fiction, watch it again, it holds surprises, secrets and in-jokes, unveiling them piece by piece each one guaranteed to raise a smile.

Finally when all of the above is revealed, watch it again, because it's simply perfect.
    Contributor – Pablodiablo

6. Back to the Future – Dir: Robert Zemeckis, 1985

Marty McFly helps out his friend Doc Brown and ends up being taken back in time by Doc's time-machine. Marty, a boy of the 80's, has to come to grips with being in the 1950's whilst also trying to get his parents to fall in love to set straight the damage his presence has done to the events of the past to fix the future.

The story is brilliant and can appeal to both young and older audiences with its time travel storyline which has been a dream for everyone at some point in there life and the story flows so well it couldn't be done much better.

As well as this the acting is superb. Lloyd plays Doc Brown brilliantly (both in the past and 1985) and is his greatest role to date whilst also giving one of the best scientist visions on film. Thomas Wilson nails the perfect stereotypical bully but is also likeable in a funny kind of way. Glover and Thompson shine as high school sweethearts and there is real chemistry between them and play their alternate futures brilliantly

Marty McFly has to be the coolest kid of the 80's too, with his tight denim jeans and Nike classics, riding around on a skateboard clung to the back of trucks, it doesn't come much cooler than that.

The dialogue is great with each scene giving the audience the exposition they need along with making the characters more rounded and a there are so many quotable lines from them you could spend all day repeating them.

"When this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious ****”

Then we have the small set pieces which interlink with the past so well.

"Chuck. Chuck. It's Marvin - your cousin, Marvin BERRY. You know that new sound you're looking for? Well, listen to this.”

The film is timeless and will still be as fresh in 20 years time. Although the sequels were not as brilliant as the original they were a valuable edition to my greatest film of all time.
    Contributor – James2183

5. Fight Club – Dir: David Fincher, 1999

Causing quite a stir of controversy upon its release (a primary reason for its under-performance at the box office, only to be followed up by huge cult success thanks to its standard-setting, stacked-to-the-gills DVD) David Fincher followed up the enjoyable but comparatively slight The Game with this attack on capitalism, essay on post-feminist views on masculinity, and general anarchic call-to-arms, adapted from Chuck Palahniuk's novel yet considerably improved upon by Jim Uhl's blackly comic screenplay and Fincher's trademark stylistic direction. It's largely thanks to the film's sense of humour that it survives translating such weighty themes from book to film, be it Bob's bitch tits or Tyler crashing his bike into a wall wearing a pink dressing gown and a deerstalker. For all the super-quotable manifestos Tyler reels off, there's always a dildo wobbling on a table or a subliminal shot of a 'nice...big...cock' to drive the message home.

Fight Club may be a fairly predictable choice of favourite film for a 20 year old student such as myself, but its on the top of my list for the simple reasons that it combines all the necessary factors for great filmmaking - superb direction that followed through on everything Seven promised; a career-best performance from Brad Pitt matched by Ed Norton with great supporting performances; not to mention the soundtrack, the editing, and some of the best uses of CGI since its invention - with huge depth for social analysis and discussion (is it pro-Fascist? Does it hate women? However funny is Brad Pitt dancing in Marla's hallway?); but above all it's a fantastically original, entertaining film that not only withstands but positively demands repeat viewings.

But the game's a bit ****...
    Contributor – Johnny Pneumonia

If there is one movie that made violence look cool it was Fight Club. This modern classic has been making it to the top of people's favourite lists ever since its release in 1999 making it an instant hit with a lot of movie fans. Brad Pitt plays one of the coolest and sexiest villains in cinema history, reflecting what every young guy would probably want to be if given the choice at birth. With a strong performance as well from Edward Norton & Helena Bonham Carter, great directing from one of the most popular directors of today, a very cool soundtrack and one of the most shocking twists in recent movie history, this movie will stay memorable for a very long time from now.
    Contributor – Neonomics

4. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King – Dir: Peter Jackson, 2003

"At last we come to the great film of our time” said the Times. And what a film. A fitting conclusion to Peter Jackson's epic trilogy and a film that does do justice to Tolkien's original, and for so long, unadaptable text. The heart of this film lies in the characters and credit goes to Peter Jackson for managing to avoid the pitfalls of relying on CGI by refusing to let it dominate his movie. The themes and meanings of the story are what make this film such an emotionally demanding experience. The ultimate message that anyone can change the course of history if they hold on to their hope, their courage and their loyalty eventually overpowers the spectacular battle sequences and the film's eventual conclusion is almost unbearably poignant and incredibly beautiful. The cast have done a fantastic job of realising Tolkien's characters, Bernard Hill, Mirando Otto, David Wenham and Viggo Mortensen in particular delivered stunning performances that managed to create realistically flawed characters that the audience could really relate to and care about. The most triumphant character achievement however belongs to more than one person; it belongs to Andy Serkis, Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh, Phillipa Boyens and the amazing crew at WETA Digital who were responsible for bringing Gollum to the big screen. Gollum being the ultimate flawed anti-hero of this film, the character that the audience cannot help but feel sympathy, even empathy for in spite of everything he does. Overall Peter Jackson's film is a beautiful, moving, and poignant story of epic proportions and it deserves every accolade that has been heaped upon it.
    Contribution – Krazy Beyootiful

3. The Shawshank Redemption – Dir: Frank Darabont, 1994

Shawshank Redemption, a Stephen King adaptation is easily one of the best and most popular movies to come out in the 90's. Not only that, it's considered by many as the best Prison movie ever made. Although it didn't do to well on its theatre release in 1994 Shawshank Redemption's great reputation was spread amongst many movie fans and it became one of the most rented and bought on DVD movie till this day. Filled with heart as well as great acting from Morgan Freeman, Tim Robins and the rest of the cast, this movie will leave you emotional when the credits roll down. Easily the best Stephen King adaptation to the theatres yet and there has been a big number of those.
    Contributions – Neonomics

2. Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back – Dir: Irvin Kershner, 1980

For me this has to be the most daring sequel ever made, being the middle of a 3 act story arc allows Empire to spread its wings and not to worry about either set up or conclusion allowing a much darker story to develop. Here the main characters are fleshed out and allowed to grow making them seem far more real than in any other Star Wars film and it is a good job to, as after we the audience care more for the heroes Empire plays it's trump card and leaves them in the most desperate situation possible (Han in carbonite, Luke's mind and soul shattered not to mention his losing the ability to clap,). Despite this dark streak running through the film Empire is not a humourless affair, the banter between Han and Leia is greater than ever and the intro of the iconic midget Yoda already testing the patience of an unsuspecting Luke is also amusing ( watch as Yoda slaps R2-D2 silly with his stick).

As for the action stakes Lucas bravely puts his big battle near the films beginning as Imperial forces assault the Rebels on icy Hoth (who can forget seeing the AT-AT's stomping across the big screen?). Doing it this way allows the films conclusion to be all about the characters personal battles and it not just the heroes who get to shine, as we learn the truth about Darth Vader elevating the character from a cardboard villain to a more complex level. Unlike the clear cut "goodies” and "baddies” of the first film in Empire we see that the Force is more like walking a moral tightrope where one slip can lead to darkness, as Luke will discover on Dagobah when in an eerie sequence he enters a cave only to journey into himself and confront the spectre of Vader only to realize that he is fighting himself.

Of all the Star Wars movies so far Empire has the best scenery personified in the beauty of Cloud City in Bespin a place which holds a nasty surprise for our heroic friends. Empire also brought new additions to the story as well as Yoda we meet the bounty hunter Bobba Fett, Lando Calrission and clap eyes on the Emperor for the first time. I could continue but this review is long enough as is so I'll close by saying that this film blew me away as a 4 year old back in 1980 and still doe's today no matter how often I watch it, in fact it is probably the film that started my love affair with cinema and for that I'll always be grateful.
    Contributor – Screamingorgasm

1. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring – Dir: Peter Jackson, 2001

The first part of Peter Jackson's epic adaptation of JRR Tolkien's book is easily the One Film to Rule Them All. It has everything a good film should, and should be considered as one of the best films of 2001, if not of the 00s so far.
    First of all, the story is simple – a young hero is forced to leave his peaceful home to save it from terrible evil – and yet it's told in such a good way. This is helped greatly by a near perfect ensemble cast, ranging from old theatre actors like Ian McKellen to the virtual unknowns like Billy Boyd.

Unlike the Star Wars Prequels, the effects (good as they are) never overwhelm the emotional heart of the film. Who doesn't feel sad following the deaths of Gandalf and Boromir? Surely the latter is one of the best death scenes seen in recent cinema.
    The effects are amazing, and both the cave Troll and the Balrog are absolutely stunning. The Balrog would always be hard to translate from book (where it is merely described as a creature of both shadow and flame) onto the big screen yet Weta Digital managed it perfectly, and the fight on the Bridge of Khazad-Dum is a moment from the book perfectly adapted to be seen on the cinema.

Perhaps the last reason why so many enjoy it so much is because, unlike the animated versions by Bakshi and Rankin/Bass, it retains the spirit of Tolkien's work, even when making minor changes to the actual events.

And despite its Elves and Rings, it carries a relevant message that should be as important to us now as it was back in the 1950s when the book was published.

'All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you'

And only time will tell if Fellowship will endure as a classic of this time as it should rightfully do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭PullMyFinger!

Million Dollar Baby was an average film.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Has to be Titanic. Absolutely terrible film with a god awful love story thrown in there just for the hell of it. Really poor movie that somehow managed to pivk up all those oscars.

It could have been great if they had tried to make it a proper account of that famous tragedy and leave the rubbish love story but they didnt and the result is in my opinion the most over rated movie of all time

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

2001: kubric w*nk fest to be honest.

man such a dull and boring film.

but then again, i think all of his films are dull and boring.

After watching it last night I cant see what all the fuss is about for Batman Begins. I really have to stop buying DVDs without seeing them first ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Right on! Made that mistake way too many times.
    As for most overrated movie, well as much as i liked the whole LOTR trilogy, the way all 3 of them have taken up space on the top 10 list annoys me. And of all 3 to be no.1 i wouldn't have chosen the fellowship'.

Advertisement