Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 20 Most Overrated Movies of All Time?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭The Lopper

Sleipnir wrote:
    I agree with you 100%.
    The "number 1" overrated movie of all time?
    Really? No 1?

More likely they were looking for a typical "space movie" with a captain kirk type blowing up the galaxy and then they saw apes and said it must be crap.

The only movie I know which did the silence of space properly for a start.

I agree, the blockbuster generation just find the abscence of big bangs and noises annoying. Really this is an absolutely awesome film, but i can understand why some people might find it boring.

And also American Beauty i thought was a classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭thejovialhost

American Beauty was great as was 2001, Lost In Translation was disappointing and WAAAAY overated-NOTHING HAPPENED ffs!scarlett johanson is smokin' though:eek: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Out of curiosity what is their list of the BEST films of all time?
    It would put the overrated ones in perspective. It is noticeable that a good number of the films are short on action or have lots of music in them. :p
    As always this is most likely a readers' poll and as has been posted already who decided these films were actually rated?

Anyone who puts Wizard of Oz on that list never had a childhood . :p

for me I'd include

Forrest Gump
    Born on The Fourth of July
    Platoon
    Gone with the Wind ( never been able to watch it all)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

The people who compiled the list are obviosly idiots if they have 2001 at the top of the list. I wouldnt bother reading on after seeing it in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭ShreddedHumans

Gone with the wind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Playboy wrote:
    The people who compiled the list are obviosly idiots if they have 2001 at the top of the list. I wouldnt bother reading on after seeing it in there.

ditto

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

stevejazzx wrote:
    lost in translation

disagree a real gem all about disenchantment of life from 2 compltely different perspectives

I fully agree. So what if 'nothing happens'. What do people want, explosions?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Agree.... i think 'Lost In Translation' is a fantastic movie.

It's got a quiet sentimentality to it. No real excitement.. just a real storyline about a very unique relationship between two very similar people coping differently to a slump in their lives.

Fantastic performances from the two leads and some fresh (and also funny) dialogue (especially Bill Murray's scenes doing ads - "i normally don't get that close to the glass until i'm on the floor!.... Lojah Moore? :D)
    Pigman II wrote:
    heres a bunch of (imho) stinkers that were all nominated for the best picture oscar in the last 10years or so.

a few good men
    braveheart
    chocolate
    cider house rules
    el postino
    erin brockovich
    four weddings and a funeral
    gladiator
    jerry maguire
    life is beautiful
    lost in translation
    master and commander
    moulin rouge
    shakespeare in love
    shine
    the aviator
    the crying game
    the english patient
    traffic
    Gotta agree with a lot of them but i thought Traffic was a fantastic film and deserved the 4 Oscars won. Flawless performances (especially Don Cheadle and Benicio Del Toro but even from the smallest members of cast - even Topher Grace is excellent!), very stylishly shot (in some people's opinions, maybe too stylish but love the colour contrasts for different settings and storylines - blue's and orange's) and

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

i think all the films that are hyped up beyond belief are always a let down, it's like xmas, the months leading up to it are great but when the day comes....meh.

Personally, i think braveheart and Shawshank Redemption are two of the greatest movies ever made, EVER! I had never even heard about shawshank before watching and i thought Braveheart looked ****, which is why i didn't see it in the cinema.

My list of overrated:

Clockwork Orange (i'm just not a Kubrick fan)
    Sin City
    lost in translation

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Glad to see a few people agree that Shawshank is overrated.

I love Space Odyssey, surprised to see it on the list.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Playboy wrote:
    Who said it was top of the list? Did nobody else notice that it was in alphabetical order?
    I absolutely love Fantasia, but everyone else either hasn't heard of it or thinks it's really dull. So I've never heard any hype or over-rating about it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Fishie wrote:
    Who said it was top of the list? Did nobody else notice that it was in alphabetical order?
    I absolutely love Fantasia, but everyone else either hasn't heard of it or thinks it's really dull. So I've never heard any hype or over-rating about it

I meant that it was first title that I read not that it was the most overrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Shellie13

Gone with the wind is definately over-rated! Dragged on way too long and seemed to be nothing but a pathetic attempt to demonstrate how ****ty life can possibly get-story unbeliveable- although Viven Leigh and Clark Gable were extremlly well cast and the acting was great-this movie simply didn't do it for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭CarolLorraine

Franky Boy wrote:
    Shawshank Redemption.

That's my favourite film. The byline says it all - "Fear can hold you prisoner. Hope can set you free."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭CarolLorraine

Lost in translation is THE most over rated movie of the last few years.

Totally agree. Where else would a film-maker have gotten away with using them whispering to each other at the end? What a cop-out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

can't see why The Shining was left off ... big pile of piss it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

From the list, imo the overrated films are:

Forrest Gump
    A Beautiful Mind
    Monster's Ball

Haven't seen most of the rest and/or don't think they're particularly overrated.

Outside the list I loathe The Shawshank Redemption too -- add me to that list! Also LOTR trilogy is ridiculously overrated.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

If the editors of 'Premiere' magazine are actually here, can you identify yourselves? I just want to ban you for even letting '2001' be considered as a possibility by your readership (given I put the movie as my choice for movies you must see).

I will agree on 'A Beautiful Mind' - one of the few movies of the last number of years that immediately gets me fuming. Trash.

'Monster's Ball' is merely OK - I never got the impression that it was all that rated in the first place though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

Cactus Col wrote:

:eek: :confused: I can't believe you actually said that. That is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read, even on boards. You have officially taken the biscuit. I know people are entitled to their opinions but I think yours should be rescinded.

- 2001: A Space Odyssey - An absolute masterpiece. Under rated if anything
    - A Beautiful Mind - Meh. Okay, I guess, didn't think anyone really rated it that high
    - American Beauty - I like it, in fact I don't know anyone who doesn't
    - An American in Paris - I hate musicals
    - Chariots of Fire - Good.
    - Chicago - I hate musicals, especially this one
    - Clerks - Quality
    - Easy Rider - Classic
    - Fantasia - Classic, needs to be aproached with the right frame of mind though
    - Field of Dreams - Tripe
    - Forrest Gump - Good but probably over rated.
    - Gone with the Wind - Yes. Over rated
    - Good Will Hunting - It's a good movie, no classic, but good. Bit weird that it's in here.
    - Jules & Jim - Not seen
    - Moonstruck - Didn't think this was rated highly enough to be considered overrated.
    - Monster's Ball - meh. Didn't think it was that highly rated.
    - Mystic River - Over rated, but not horribly so.
    - Nashville - Not seen
    - The Red Shoes - Not seen
    - The Wizard of Oz - An essential part of childhood

It's a pretty weird list. It's definitely not a public vote, the kind of plebs who think 2001 is over rated are unlikely to have even seen movies like Jules et Jim or an American in Paris. The editors of this mag are clearly clowns.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭The Troll

- 2001: A Space Odyssey - More like 201 a space odyssey
    - A Beautiful Mind - Have avoided as Russell Crowe's other "greats" are garbage ie Gladiator and Master and Commander. Twaddle.
    - American Beauty - Nearly flawless
    - An American in Paris - Garbage
    - Chariots of Fire - OK
    - Chicago - Garbage
    - Clerks - Number 1 on my list of overrated movies
    - Easy Rider - Easy snoozer
    - Fantasia - Garbage. Pioneering maybe, but on the same level I don't rate the penny farthing as a good bicycle.
    - Field of Dreams - Apt title as this movie will make you fall asleep, though field of nightmares maybe more appropriate
    - Forrest Gump - This movie stinks. Actually stink is an understatement. Festering is a betetr description. Honestly, this movie should be recategorised as sci-fi, as that's how believable it is.
    - Gone with the Wind - Gone with the wind from my arse
    - Good Will Hunting - Garbage
    - Jules & Jim - Never seen
    - Moonstruck - Never seen
    - Monster's Ball - Never seen
    - Mystic River - Never seen
    - Nashville - Never seen
    - The Red Shoes - Never seen
    - The Wizard of Oz - OK

Added to the list by me:

Lord of the Rings Trilogy. Please, perhaps if you like softcore homoeroticism then you enjoyed this movie. If you don't then you're like me and thought this movie should be thrown in the incinerator.

Mallrats - No. Its not a classic. just no.

The Breakfast Club - I'd rather be burnt at the stake then ever have to sit through this crap ever again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Pitseleh

Lord of the Rings - awful, it's just so boring
    Shawshank Redemption - I just can't see the appeal
    Star Wars - doesn't interest me at all, at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Thrasher

The Troll wrote:
    Lord of the Rings Trilogy. Please, perhaps if you like softcore homoeroticism then you enjoyed this movie. If you don't then you're like me and thought this movie should be thrown in the incinerator.

Oh please, please... can I be like you?

Get over it. At about 8 hours, spanning 3 years of cinema, these films hardly count as one "movie". Everyone is entitled to an opinion, of course, but no need to dive into a pseudo-gaybashing rant, just because you're unconfortable with the premise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Thrasher

:eek: :confused: I can't believe you actually said that. That is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read, even on boards. You have officially taken the biscuit. I know people are entitled to their opinions but I think yours should be rescinded.

Even Stephen King doesn't know what the Shining is about. Kubrick is a great film-maker - but the only things of note in this film are Kubricks cinematic vision and Jack Nicholson's performance.

Ask yourself deep down what could possibly make this a great film, (in spite of the accolades given to it - due mainly to the late recognition of Kubrick's talent). Ultimately, a poor, shallow story will always end up a mess on film - even if the window-dressing is nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Franky Boy

Sin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Cactus Col wrote:

Are you mental?

Sideways is tripe, as said before a bad woody wannabe.

I thought Garden State was pretty crap, trying too hard,
    Lost in translation was great, Very unusual and the acting is brilliant.

And can everyone back the fúck away from Shawshank........... it was never hyped by the media, just by word of mouth, I only seen the movie because soembody left a little card in the display case in my rental store saying it was great.

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

A couple of people are saying that Sideways was a poor Woody Allen imitation. I've seen a lot of Woody Allen and to be honest I don't see the similarities at all. The presence of a neurotic Jewish guy in a film does not mean it's a Woody Allen rip-off. Paul Giamatti's character wasn't really anything like the typical Woody character.

Lost in Translation was a great movie. I can see why many people didn't enjoy it - it was advertised as a straight out comedy but wa actually a more serious slow and thoughtful film with funny moments. Definitely not a film for everyone but in my opinion it's undoubtedly a brilliant piece of work.

Clerks is a bit over-rated I think. I enjoyed it when I saw it, some quite funny bits but it doesn't stand up to repeated viewings I don't think. Very very stilted direction and the clever-clever dialogue grates on the nerves somewhat. I'm not saying every film has to be a masterpiece but it gets too much acclaimation from people and therefore I would lump it in the over-rated category.

Sin City too. Commendable style etc. but the story left me pretty uninterested. The best movie of the year? Not a friggin' hope.

Here's another over-rated one - History of Violence. I'm a Cronenberg fan but I was wholly unimpressed with this. The dialogue was so clunky in places I think they just transposed it straight from the graphic novel. You can read that **** but you can't say it. Also - the comedy gangster at the end was completely against the whole tone of the film and it felt like a mess to me.

I enjoyed the Shawshank Redemption but can see how people class it as over-rated. Too many people cite it as their favourite film ever and the backlash was bound to happen sooner or later. Especially since it's normally an easy option for people who want a safe enough choice that they think everyone will agree with. I like the film but am leaning towards over-rated on it.

I whole-heartedly agree with the inclusion of a Beautiful Mind and Forrest Gump on the list. Both horribly horribly over-rated. Saccarine pieces of crap.

[All of the above is only my opinion. Of course my opinion is normally right but there you go. Muhahahaha]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Saw a history of violence a few weeks ago. Thought it was crap. Couldnt believe the great reviews it got. It apparently "speaks on many levels". So what? Its a bad film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

The Blair Witch Project.

I dont care it's the greatest load of bollix ever made what a fcuking waste!
    Why would you bother! Why!
    I want that how ever many minutes of my life back!

What's the deal with it anyway? Was it based in truth or was it a bunch of kids wanting to make a low budget horror flick?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

^^ on this note - most woody allen movies.

Advertisement