Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Links, Resources, Glossary and FAQs

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

A recent addition to the internet is corpus.quran.com. This had been developed by the Language Research Group at the University of Leeds. You can locate any specific surah and ayah in the Qur'an from drop-down menus, and the programme goes through the ayah word-by word. It provides the arabic word, colour coded to identify the grammatical part(s) of speech, states the grammatical form of the word (for example, "genitive masculine plural noun"), and gives a transliteration and an English translation. If you click on the transliteration, you are taken to a page where all appearances in the Qur'an of words derived from the same consonantal root are listed, cross-referred to the verses where they appear, and the translations used in those verses are stated. This makes it possible to see how the same arabic word may have subtly different English translations in different places.

For example, I clicked on "l-'alamina", the last word of Surah al-Fatiha 1:2. This links to a page giving all 854 occurrences of words based on the root "'ayn lam mim". One important insight is how Qur'anic Arabic links words and concepts that in English may not appear connected. So the singular word " 'il'mu " is translated as "knowledge", while the plural form " 'alamina " is translated "the worlds" or "the Universe". In a sense, this equates "the Universe" with "all things that can constitute knowledge", and I was reminded of the first sentence of Ludwig Wittgenstein's Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus "The world is all that is the case", which some philosophers would interpret as "all that can be known".

The corpus has other facilities. For each verse, it is possible to see a "syntactic tree", which reveals the grammatical structure of the verse. For every verse, you can read seven different English translations (Sahih International, Pickthall, Yusuf Ali, Shakir, Muhammad Sarwar, Mohsin Khan and Arberry) and also listen to a recitation. There is a "verb concordance" - a list sorted by frequency of occurrence of every verb in the Qur'an. For each verb, you can click on the English translation and get the Arabic text, and English translation (Sahih International), of every verse in which that verb appears. I was interested that the verb "say" appears more times (over 1600) in the Qur'an than the verb "be" (around 1350). There is also a list of "lemmas" (subsets of the word families constituted by consonantal roots), which are much closer to the English notion of a single word. This is also sorted by frequency, and provides the same facility of listing all verses where a lemma appears. For example, the lemma "l-lah", Allah, which appears over 2,700 times in the Qur'an, can be located in every verse.

There is also a list of key concepts, and clicking on any of these produces a page providing a brief discussion together with a link to a list of all verses containing that concept, even if the wording used is different. For example, the concept "day of resurrection" picks up "yawm id-din" as well as "yawm al-qiyamah".

I've only been looking at the corpus for a short time, and I'm sure that there are other very valuable features not just for students of Islam and Qur'anic Arabic but for Muslims as well.

the_new_mr wrote: »
    http://www.islamonline.net
    Very comprehensive Islamic site dealing with everything from a detailed introduction to Islam and Muslims to fatwas (religious rulings on particular matters) and current events.

Unfortunately, the islamonline.net site seems to have become very problematic, owing to disputes between the "owners" of the site, based in Qatar, and the journalists who ran the site, based in Egypt. See this article in The Guardian.

The home page eventually appears, but links from the home page do not seem to be working.

It is a great shame that this website seems to have gone, since it has been a very good source of information in recent years.

I came across this interesting article "Educating Imams in Germany: the Battle for a European Islam". Although the main focus of the article is on how German mosques can reduce their reliance on imams who come from other countries (especially Turkey), the article raises some important issues about the tensions between a desire for integration (especially as an increasing number of "born" Muslims in European countries are three or even four generations away from their immigrant roots) and a desire to maintain cultural traditions and links with the "home country".

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭whydoc

Gazakum Allah khair all of you for this great thread, this is my participation, it's great site for islamic books, like:

A Mercy To The Universe

[Fiqh-Us-Seerah] Understanding The Life Of The Prophet Muhammad

The Life Of Prophet Muhammad: Highlights And Lessons

The Best Of All Husbands

Ar Raheeq Al Makhtum (The sealed Nectar)

Bulugh Al-Maram (Attainment Of The Objective According To The Evidence Of The Ordinances)

An Introduction To The Science Of Hadith

Rules Governing The Criticism Of Hadeeth

Women Around The Messenger (PBUH)
    http://www.alghurabaa.org/books/seerah/

The site is great, please tell your brothers about it :)

hivizman wrote: »
    Unfortunately, the islamonline.net site seems to have become very problematic, owing to disputes between the "owners" of the site, based in Qatar, and the journalists who ran the site, based in Egypt. See this article in The Guardian.

The home page eventually appears, but links from the home page do not seem to be working.

It is a great shame that this website seems to have gone, since it has been a very good source of information in recent years.

About a year ago, I reported the demise of the islamonline.net website. Some of the people associated with the site have now relaunched it as www.onislam.net. As before, it is a mixture of news reports, articles and responses to questions, and I hope that it will continue to be a helpful source of information on Islam.

• Advertisement

Asalam alaikum:

This is the complete set of the Holy Qur'an along with an English Verse-by-Verse translation mp3. The Arabic is recited by Shaykh Mishaari Raashid. The English is read by Ibrahaim Walk using the Saheeh International Translation.

Search anything about islam, here:

Muslims Search Engine

For those who have facebook account:

http://www.facebook.com/iloveallaah

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

http://www.shiachat.com/forum/

A good site if your Shia or Sunni or Atheist for that matter. Plenty of debate going on in it.

Cultural Values in the Message of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)

Language: English
    Formation : Muhammad ibn Abdullah as-Saheem
    Reviewing : Muhammad AbdulRaoof
    Download page: http://www.islamhouse.com/p/396077

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

feargale wrote: »
    Is the western media, in particular the Irish media, guilty of a grave omission in failing to report condemnations by Islamic religious leaders of atrocities such as the Boko Haram kidnappings? Do such condemnations not happen?
    I have already posted this question on another Islamic thread. I am here submitting it for consideration by the Islam FAQ thread. If I am not following procedure correctly please guide me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

feargale wrote: »
    Is the western media, in particular the Irish media, guilty of a grave omission in failing to report condemnations by Islamic religious leaders of atrocities such as the Boko Haram kidnappings? Do such condemnations not happen?
    I have already posted this question on another Islamic thread. I am here submitting it for consideration by the Islam FAQ thread. If I am not following procedure correctly please guide me.

Advertisement